Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

THE RECESSION WILL be over when teachers no longer have furlough days.

A NEW LAW ON GEORGIA car taxes makes car leasing more expensive. Georgia politicians are no different from Wash­ing­ton pols. All they do is grab more money and more power.

THE AUGUSTA COMMIS­SION was in session for six hours? It is about time they looked like they were working.

THANK GOD FOR bringing me 68 long years on this Earth. God has blessed me plenty. I want to thank him for my health and my family.

RAVE FOR A YOUNG man named Elliot at University Hospital. He went beyond the call of duty and went to get my car at the emergency room when I could hardly walk. Thanks to him and the nurse for helping us.

RANT TO ALL YOU Audry Murpheyette wannabes. Careful what you wish for, ladies.

TELL WALTER WILLIAMS that Social Security is not a handout or an entitlement.

RANT TO SOUTH CAROLINA’S early voting. Please eliminate the voter fraud before giving the Democrats more time to game the system. Democrats love early voting because it gives more time to bus their voters to the polls and come up with more fraudulent votes.

DEMOCRATS WILL NOT accept responsibility for the recession they created when they controlled the House and the Senate, but they want to take credit for the recovery that the Republican-controlled House has orchestrated.

A SEMI-AUTOMATIC (one round per trigger pull) AR-15 is an “assault weapon” in the hands of a private citizen; yet an automatic (multiple rounds per trigger pull) M-16 is a “personal defense weapon” in the hands of federal, state, and local law enforcement personnel. That’s scary.

THERE IS NO WAY TO take guns from dangerous people. No one knows when a person can snap. There have been police who snap and kill, so who knows who will snap and when? How do you stop people from this?

THE U.S. IS considering a drone base in Niger. Every U.S. war since WWII has begun with a small first step. This will prove to be the first step to a U.S. war in the middle of Africa. What on earth is Obama thinking?

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 02/15/13 - 11:48 am
and thumbs up to everybody.

and thumbs up to everybody.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 02/15/13 - 11:54 am
Clapping My Hands

And listening to some great music - the rafters are vibrating and I'm past the bloody mary's!

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 02/15/13 - 12:07 pm
Go Lilly!

Go Lilly!

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/15/13 - 01:13 pm
Humble A said, "Audry

Humble A said, "Audry Murphreyette...
I believe the ranter was referring to those who fought to get women on the front line combat positions.....which logically means that I must register with Selective Service now......but I doubt that those who fought for this would agree with me."

You are right. I guess he has a different meaning than what I thought. I was thinking he was throwing out a sarcastic gun control thing. My bad.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/15/13 - 01:54 pm
Good 'ol days....

Remember when typists and people in any type of customer service (especially food service) had short fingernails? The only thing worse than over 20 minutes of a baby crying in the library with nothing being done about it is someone clickety-clickety on a keyboard with long fingernails. Granted, my nerves are shot from living in Richmond County, but still. People have little common sense or consideration anymore.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/15/13 - 01:59 pm
Where is the "Thunder"?

I drove about 16 miles to work today and I saw not ONE police officer on highways or secondary roads. Isn't "Thunder" rolling yet, they were supposed to have arrived yesterday. It sure would have been satisfying to see some of the drivers speeding 10 and more miles an hour over the speed limit, switching lanes with no blinkers, tail-gating and passing on the right (on a three-lane), and yakking on their cell phones, get pulled over for any of the above. The last few days with gray skies and/or rain, there were very few cars on the road using their lights, either. Please people, these features are on cars for you to USE them.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 02/15/13 - 02:16 pm
Humble Angela
Humble Angela 02/15/13 - 02:30 pm
again with the thumbs down.

again with the thumbs down. Care to make a post as to what's wrong with my post? I'll never understand the trolls.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/15/13 - 02:36 pm
Bob Dylan

Hey, guys, watch out for the Rolling Thunder Revue out in force this afternoon and throughout the month here in Richmond County. The county sheriff's office and the Georgia State Patrol (along with a Governor's task force on traffic safety) have motorcycles, patrol cruisers, SUVs, undercover vehicles, and other miscellaneous surveillance and pursuit equipment trying to pull you over.

I saw Exhibit A just east of the I-20 / Riverwatch Pkwy. interchange around 1 p.m. today, where a motorcycle cop had pulled over a pickup, presumably for violating the 35 mph speed limit on Riverwatch.

The stretch of Riverwatch near I-20 is as ripe for trapping speeders as was the old, infamous speed trap in Ludowici back before Gov. Lester Maddox finally shamed it into becoming more responsible.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 02/15/13 - 02:37 pm
Just curious. What would you

Just curious. What would you say constitutes a "speed trap?"

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/15/13 - 02:47 pm
Snow tomorrow? No way.

Snow tomorrow? No way.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/15/13 - 03:13 pm
Speed Trap

Riverwatch Parkway consists of six lanes of smooth asphalt running under I-20. The six lanes are divided, such that head-on collisions are very unlikely. The speed limit is 35 mph. That unjustified low speed limit on a divided highway is one way to create a speed trap.

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/15/13 - 03:13 pm
Snow?

Anyone have any orange balls for sale.................golf balls, river.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/15/13 - 03:15 pm
They could ring up the cash

They could ring up the cash register between Riverwatch and Belair too. It is 55 on that stretch and I was running 64 just to get out of the way earlier today.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/15/13 - 03:46 pm
Good Point

I'm assuming you are talking I-20, IAD. After they widened I-20 to be four or five lanes each way, and then added the impressive flyover at Bobby Jones, there is no way the speed limit on that improved stretch should be 55. It's way too low. They should raise the speed limit to 65 there. But that would cut down on the revenue.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 02/15/13 - 03:49 pm
HA, in my opinion , it is

HA, in my opinion , it is unrealistic speed limits, too much distance between speed limit signs, too many varying speeds on the same road without a physical reason and cops camped out at said locations waiting to "catch" unaware motorist with no "catch and release program".

harley_52
harley_52 02/15/13 - 04:18 pm
Most Speed Traps....

....I've personally experienced were set up in places where there was a big drop in the speed limit all of a sudden. Like you're driving along at 55 MPH and, without warning, you see a speed limit 35 MPH sign with a police car (with radar) sitting next to it and a couple of chase cars a couple of hundred yards further down the road.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/15/13 - 04:22 pm
"Anyone have any orange balls

"Anyone have any orange balls for sale.................golf balls, river."

JTF, ha, ha, ha.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 02/15/13 - 07:06 pm
JTF

You're making me laugh too loud!

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 02/15/13 - 07:19 pm
H Angie

RM and I can tell you about speed traps - Ludowici, GA

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/15/13 - 07:45 pm
That's a famous one in

That's a famous one in Ludowici. They had more Yankees in jail there than the Confederates had in Andersonville.

Gage Creed
19387
Gage Creed 02/15/13 - 09:26 pm
Starke, Waldo, and Lawtey

Starke, Waldo, and Lawtey Florida....

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/15/13 - 10:21 pm
HA......."I'll never

HA......."I'll never understand the trolls"

When you give them facts that they don't want to hear they just do the thumbs down thing. They are just saying "I can't argue with the facts and I don't like you for pointing them out".

Ex-superintendent to write of miraculous recovery

Taking his doctor's advice, former Richmond County school superintendent Frank Roberson has nearly finished writing a 150-page book about his remarkable recovery from brain trauma.