Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

THE RECESSION WILL be over when teachers no longer have furlough days.

A NEW LAW ON GEORGIA car taxes makes car leasing more expensive. Georgia politicians are no different from Wash­ing­ton pols. All they do is grab more money and more power.

THE AUGUSTA COMMIS­SION was in session for six hours? It is about time they looked like they were working.

THANK GOD FOR bringing me 68 long years on this Earth. God has blessed me plenty. I want to thank him for my health and my family.

RAVE FOR A YOUNG man named Elliot at University Hospital. He went beyond the call of duty and went to get my car at the emergency room when I could hardly walk. Thanks to him and the nurse for helping us.

RANT TO ALL YOU Audry Murpheyette wannabes. Careful what you wish for, ladies.

TELL WALTER WILLIAMS that Social Security is not a handout or an entitlement.

RANT TO SOUTH CAROLINA’S early voting. Please eliminate the voter fraud before giving the Democrats more time to game the system. Democrats love early voting because it gives more time to bus their voters to the polls and come up with more fraudulent votes.

DEMOCRATS WILL NOT accept responsibility for the recession they created when they controlled the House and the Senate, but they want to take credit for the recovery that the Republican-controlled House has orchestrated.

A SEMI-AUTOMATIC (one round per trigger pull) AR-15 is an “assault weapon” in the hands of a private citizen; yet an automatic (multiple rounds per trigger pull) M-16 is a “personal defense weapon” in the hands of federal, state, and local law enforcement personnel. That’s scary.

THERE IS NO WAY TO take guns from dangerous people. No one knows when a person can snap. There have been police who snap and kill, so who knows who will snap and when? How do you stop people from this?

THE U.S. IS considering a drone base in Niger. Every U.S. war since WWII has begun with a small first step. This will prove to be the first step to a U.S. war in the middle of Africa. What on earth is Obama thinking?

Jake
Jake 02/14/13 - 09:59 pm
Dangerous people and guns

No one knows when a dangerous person will snap. Just hope that you or your loved ones are not around them when it happens.
Is it just me or have you noticed how a lot of shootings, no matter the number of victims, seem to be getting a lot of media attention?
I was reading today about the Alday murders that occurred in Donalsonville back in the early 70's. Four men and one woman from that family were brutally murdered in their home. Come to find out that the mass killing was not the worse in Georgia. In 1877 Tom Woolfolk in Bibb County axed to death 9 of his family while they slept. Dangerous people can be anywhere and can use whatever weapon is available.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/14/13 - 10:56 pm
Audie

Audie Murphy would have certainly supported the rights of gun owners. He was also part owner of a gun manufacturing company. It's wrong to mess up his name in a joke. He was the most decorated American of WWII.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/14/13 - 10:57 pm
Walter Williams is 100% right

SS becomes a handout for most people; collecting a lot more out of it than they put in. Why the heck do you think it is on the verge of broke? If it didn't pay out more than was paid in, there would never be a problem with it being funded, correct?

Darby
Darby 02/14/13 - 11:16 pm
"Every U.S. war since WWII has begun with a small first step."..

Just trying to figure out what the small step was at Pearl Harbor??

Don't know about the drone base in Niger. I don't support Obama on much but who knows in this case? Like they say, even a blind squirrel will occasionally find a nut.

harley_52
harley_52 02/14/13 - 11:31 pm
"In 1877 Tom Woolfolk in Bibb County....

.... axed to death 9 of his family while they slept."

Surely the democrats pushed hard for a ban on assault axes after that heinous crime.

harley_52
harley_52 02/14/13 - 11:35 pm
Far From Being A Handout....

....Social Security is a ponzi scheme and one of the biggest rip-offs around. If private citizens ran a system like Social Security they'd be arrested and jailed.

Jake
Jake 02/15/13 - 12:51 am
Audry Murphreyette

Riverman, I was wondering who the ranter was referring to. I thought it was some local person. I concur in that Audie Murphy was a great American hero who also made the best of his lot after the war in terms of movies and other things that were offered him.
Ira Hayes, a native American hero of Iwo Jima, was quite a different contrasting story. I guess my favorite WWII hero would have to be my dad. He was just a common GI who did his duty in whatever role was asked of him. There were thousands and thousands like him. I read the obits on here everyday and it saddens me when I read of the upper 80's folks who served in WWII that passed away. Soon there won't be very many of them left.

bumblebeerose
bumblebeerose 02/15/13 - 06:09 am
Social Security

I always thought SS was set up to be a self sufficient system. The American People worked and paid into it and the drew from it when they reached the age of retirement. Each generation paid for the generation before them.

Now with so many people on unemployment, welfare, food stamps and other government funded programs no money is going into the system. The system can no longer be maintained if the American People are not working.

KSL
KSL 02/15/13 - 06:43 am
Don't forget about the money

Don't forget about the money borrowed from the fund and not paid back and the numerous people who were paid from it who never paid into it.

bumblebeerose
bumblebeerose 02/15/13 - 06:54 am
KSL

Yes the government has borrowed form it and not paid that money back and people getting it that have never paid in to it. That does not help either.

I always thought you had to pay in to it to draw from it but not anymore. I guess that is what I get for thinking.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/15/13 - 07:47 am
GEEZ

Well now....reading about the puppy story & now the Alday killings ...my mood is set for today...I might just go back to bed!

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 02/15/13 - 08:40 am
Oh,B4

Let's have a bloody mary for breakfast and put on some Running Bare!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/15/13 - 09:08 am
SS

So, then; the people drawing from SS who haven't paid in are getting a handout, right?

Average SS payouts are about $15K / year. With people living into their eighties, it is easy to collect $300K or more from SS, a TON more than they ever payed in, including modest interest.

BBR, you are correct about the idea of future generations paying for past, and that is what makes it the huge Ponzi scheme Harley so aptly describes.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/15/13 - 08:52 am
Brothers in Blood; one of the

Brothers in Blood; one of the most blood curdling books I've ever read.

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/15/13 - 09:12 am
Social Security

How many years before Obamacare makes the SS fiasco look mild by comparison.

soapy_725
soapy_725 02/15/13 - 09:16 am
We have Jimmy Carter to thank for the

change in Social Security Benefits. 1972. He expanded the payments to not only cover retirees who had paid into the system as a safety net, but with SSI Carter included, non citizens, non contributors, illegitimate children, welfare families, along with basically everyone in the country. Spouses who are married to a person for ten or more years can draw from multiple individuals.

Carter essentially converted a retirement safety net into a "catch all welfare system".

Subsequent changes have included AIDS patients, admitted alcoholics and drug addicts who receive SS Disability payments whether or not they paid into the system.

Reclassifying individuals as SS recipients removed them from the "Welfare Rolls". Smoke and mirrors.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/15/13 - 09:20 am
Ok I'm not crazy this am

Things fall from the sky.....yep they do..

Seeyalll...I need something stronger than a bloody mary this am....

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/15/13 - 09:24 am
A huge meteor hitting earth

A huge meteor hitting earth and y'all are worried about Social Security? Have Lilly pass me a Bloody Mary.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 02/15/13 - 09:49 am
Hey All

Morning Thumbs Down! :)

harley_52
harley_52 02/15/13 - 10:04 am
"I'm seeing Double"

Have another bloody mary.

harley_52
harley_52 02/15/13 - 10:06 am
Social Security Is Like A Meteorite.....

You know the outcome won't be good, but there's nothing you can do about it.

harley_52
harley_52 02/15/13 - 10:07 am
Humble Angela
Humble Angela 02/15/13 - 10:08 am
Audry Murphreyette

I believe the ranter was referring to those who fought to get women on the front line combat positions.....which logically means that I must register with Selective Service now......but I doubt that those who fought for this would agree with me.

Jake
Jake 02/15/13 - 10:28 am
Ah HA

I get it now.

Jake
Jake 02/15/13 - 10:38 am
Asteroid

Being that we are a country that shows compassion in the event of worldwide tragedies, a spokesman for the Obama administration announced early this morning that we are sending a C47 to Russia loaded with crates of Preparation-H for the 500 or so victims that were struck down this morning by a massive hemorrhoid outbreak.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 02/15/13 - 10:41 am
Bloody Mary's for all!

Someone said Monday is a holiday - Sean, can I give out Bloody Mary's?

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/15/13 - 11:00 am
HA....."which logically means

HA....."which logically means that I must register with Selective Service now"

I do believe that will be the logical outcome to the women in combat issue. It may take a while and a lawsuit or two but, based on the last SCOTUS decision on this subject, things have changed and there is no longer a legal technicality that can be used to justify women not having to register for the draft.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 02/15/13 - 11:32 am
@ Lilly

I could use one myself at this point.

Darby
Darby 02/15/13 - 05:03 pm
Jake - My dad was like yours, an unassuming "hero"....

who did his job and asked for nothing in return...

As for Audy Murphy and Ira Hayes, this is a classical study in contrast. Murphy was the most decorated soldier in WWII, who was the epitome of a hero.

On the other hand, Hayes never thought of himself as a hero and by most measures, he was not. He had severe psychological problems and never was able to deal with the fame and adulation of being one of the flag raisers at Iwo Jima.

Hayes and the other flag raisers were brought back to the States and used by FDR to build morale and support for the war. I'm not saying it was a bad thing. It wasn't because the folks at home needed an emotional boost. But for Hayes, it was the worst thing that could happen to him.

He never recovered...

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 02/15/13 - 12:46 pm
If you're happy and you know,

If you're happy and you know, it clap your hands. If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands...If you're happy and you know it, then your face will surely show it, if you're happy and you know it, clap you're hands....

And no bloody mary, either.