Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

NEVER BEEN TO Mexico? If Obama and his allies (both Democrat and Republican) get their way, Mexico is coming to us.

I KNOW YOU WILL NEVER print this, but I am a black citizen of Columbia County, and I do not see the sense in putting Mr. Charles Gorrell in all this distress. Even though he was wrong for killing this nephew, who knows how the nephew talked down to this man. Furthermore, he took away this man’s wife, and everything he lives for. Now where is the nephew? Bring back the chain gang, and put some of these thugs there, and leave these senior citizens alone.

A RANT TO THE PEOPLE who keep bad-mouthing Richmond County’s new sheriff. One day his name will go down on Augusta’s Hall-Of-Fame, alongside Ed McIntyre and Charles Walker.

RAVE FOR LASHONDRA at the Church’s chicken on Deans Bridge. I had dropped by billfold while leaving the drive thru and she came out and flagged me down and went and got it back for me. I had $200 cash in my billfold.

THE TRUTH IS: If you are of limited education, you will never understand how the political and economic systems of our nation really work. The fact is that only a handful of the representatives in Washington have a clue as to what is going on, and the politicians who get it are either quiet or leaving.

CONGRATULATIONS TO Kendrick Paint and Body for achieving the Business of the Year award at the Columbia County Chamber of Commerce eighth annual banquet held recently. I have used this company a number of times and found them very courteous and professional.

WE DO NOT NEED stricter gun laws. Instead we need stricter laws concerning people who commit crimes with guns. I propose “Gabby’s Law.” If criminals get caught committing murder on camera with multiple eye witnesses they should automatically be sentenced to the death penalty without a trial. Those people do NOT deserve the rights which the Constitution provides for law abiding citizens.

PAUL BROUN ENTERS Senate race? This is going to be a fun race to see what really crazy things come out of his mouth.

IF I AM EVER convicted of a serious crime, I hope I am sentenced by Judge Overstreet. The best judge a criminal could want.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/13/13 - 08:21 pm
#3

So you think Roundtree will wind up a jailbird like the other two? I don't think that is likely.

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 02/13/13 - 10:50 pm
"If Obama and his allies

... get their way, Mexico is coming to us."

In case you missed it, they're here. Eleven million and counting; and if this latest amnesty goes through, probably that same number in a matter of years, not decades.

For English, dial 2.

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 02/13/13 - 11:00 pm
"...One day his (Roundtree's) name will go down

... on Augusta’s Hall-Of-Fame..."

"Grateful Mother" has gotten away with it all, even though he should have been fired rather than demoted, and now he's grabbed the brass ring? What could possibly go wrong?

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 02/14/13 - 04:52 am
As far as Roundtree's

As far as Roundtree's concerned, I really don't think that his "handlers", or "puppeteers" will allow him to get too far out of line. As long as he keeps saying and doing what they tell him, then he'll be reaping the benefits of the job and popularity. He may not do a good job as sheriff, but he'll be reaping and benefitting!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/14/13 - 07:02 am
#1 Rant

Mexico is coming???? Nooo ....Mexico is here already......punch 2 for English please......I will bet within 10 years we will have a Latino President......we treat outsiders better than we treat seniors in this country.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/14/13 - 07:07 am
Yes I agree with this rant

Why is that so hard for some to grasp.....dunno.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/14/13 - 07:10 am
The rant says..

A RANT TO THE PEOPLE who keep bad-mouthing Richmond County’s new sheriff.

Yep...he is taking a licking in the media..but I hope he can keep on....keeping on........maybe he really will make a difference in the county....handlers & all..
But ya better do something about the cat fights at the Mall.....nip it---nip it in the bud.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/14/13 - 07:34 am
and the rant said...

True & sad at the same time....some have some age on them & they need to go......on into the sunset......esp the guys who can't adapt to this changing nation........you can't control who someone sleeps with--a womans body.........or guns........or make everyone equal ......or smoking.....& frankly I'm just sick of hearing the same song & dance....

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/14/13 - 07:37 am
ok now

I have a bunch of places to scratch around in ...a chick likes to roam..I am a free range chick btw......no fences for me.....& it is Valentines Day..... I'm going for diamonds....sooo happy scratching folks..♥

nocnoc
nocnoc 02/14/13 - 07:58 am
Ref: “Gabby’s Law.”

There is no solid proof anymore.

I know of at least 4 excellent multi-media people in the Augusta area that can Photo-shop and phony up video footage that would make a jury believe anything.

Just look at some Youtube videos or watch a few Hollywood GG imbedded Movies. Then ask yourself if you could trust any immediate execution based on Government, or privately produced white/black hate group video evidence?

No, the best bet is still an armed citizenry that sees and stops the killer immediately. Followed immediately by a official Shooting investigation.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/14/13 - 08:48 am
A Solution for High Level Nuclear Wastes Shipped to SRS

The entire CSRA has to recognize what’s happening at SRS with the continued shipments of “high level” radioactive wastes being sent there with not even a hole to put it in. Nevada received the gold with hundreds of millions of dollars and thousands of jobs for Yucca Mt., but never took a shipment of wastes. We didn’t even get a shaft to bury the bad stuff in. We are on the river and leaking waste can easily find its way downstream. So Savannah, you need to be aware of the build-up of wastes, too.

I propose we accept the fact the Democratic controlled federal government is not going to stop shipments of radioactive waste here even if we have nothing to protect it, but rusting, leaking barrels. Let’s take the bull by the horns and work to receive the billions in funding and thousands of jobs it will take to create a permanent repository here as was intended at Yucca Mt.

The facts are it is not safe as it is and we receive little funding for the danger incurred. Let’s make it tremendously less dangerous and create jobs like we haven’t seen since Ft. Gordon enlarged. Agree to accept all the waste with the understanding it is going to require much more construction because of the adjacent river.

We have the conservative office holders to support such an idea and a public that is accepting with our decades of experience with SRS. I say let’s go for IT. Create the national repository here with the safeguards and thousands of jobs or tell them NO MORE. They can’t have it both ways. We want the shaft.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/14/13 - 08:22 am
Ryan Clark Park

Sen. Johnny Isakson was visited by Ryan Clark’s mother yesterday at the Capitol. Ryan is the Lakeside graduate who was killed at the Virginia Tech massacre as he tried to stop the shooter. She is not in favor of gun control as proposed by the Democrats, by the way. The Virginia Tech band twice came to Columbia County to perform in Ryan’s memory. In the past I have proposed naming something for Ryan and my last idea of the new Lakeside school-public park where the new stadium will be built seems to be catching on. I know CCNT publisher, Barry Paschal, has supported the proposal. Sen. Isakson says he will be at the dedication if the park is named for Ryan. We need to make it happen. It’s the ideal entity to honor Ryan forever.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/14/13 - 08:34 am
Isakson?

I was in favor of naming the new Lakeside facility after Ryan Clark; but if that brings Isakson in, then I withdraw my support. Isakson is a sorry excuse for a senator, and I don't want to see him in Columbia County.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/14/13 - 08:56 am
LL, there's a phrase to fit

LL, there's a phrase to fit your response. Nose, face...

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 02/14/13 - 09:12 am
What? No love being tossed

What? No love being tossed about today? Come on!

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY, YA'LL!!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/14/13 - 09:20 am
Willow, we were waiting for

Willow, we were waiting for you to shower with our Happy Valentine's Day. Happy V-Day.

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/14/13 - 09:39 am
"One day his name will go

"One day his name will go down on Augusta’s Hall-Of-Fame, alongside Ed McIntyre and Charles Walker."

Oh no......you did not say that did you? Or maybe you are being facetious since everyone knows that both of those guys ended up in jail for taking bribes and other money related felonies. I hope that is the case.

Roundtree had a blank slate to start his administration. His first actions were to buy a big, new SUV and head for the back room at the commission meetings to try and get more money. Not the fresh start I was hoping he would make.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 02/14/13 - 10:01 am
There is a push....

to put county and city commissions in charge of the distribution of forfeited drug monies for expenditure. I think I would rather Roundtree have access to it than our dysfunctional commission.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 02/14/13 - 10:22 am
So according to Eric Holder.....

As long as you ban something for EVERYONE, it isn't violating someone's rights? That means that if we ban free speech for EVERYONE it is ok.....using Holder's logic. I hope the left can see the growing fascism that they have been warned about from this administration....but I seriously doubt they will. Even Adolph Hitler had his adoring fans.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/14/13 - 10:26 am
I agree GnipGnop

They want to micromanage every last little thing. Let the Sheriff use it off budget for getting better safety equipment, extra training, tasers, etc. for the front line officers.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/14/13 - 10:30 am
@ dichotomy

"Oh no......you did not say that did you? " I thought they might be serious, thus my response.

harley_52
harley_52 02/14/13 - 11:33 am
I Know This Is Not Popular...

...but I don't really have a problem with the Sheriff getting a big car. In fact, I can see lots of parallels in other institutions and even some operational reasons why it is justified.

Let him have his cool, decked-out SUV.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/14/13 - 11:39 am
Chauffeur

Do you have any problem with the sheriff having a chauffeur on staff? How about his entourage everywhere he goes? Sheriff Strength spoke to our neighborhood alliance several times over the years. He always came alone. Do you think sheriff Roundtree will appear in public alone? So far, he has not.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/14/13 - 11:40 am
SUV for Sheriffs

When I complained years ago about the Columbia County Sheriff getting an Expedition. the big Ford SUV, along with his supervisors, it was explained the maintenance costs were lower, plus they could transport equipment to various locations if needed. Roundtree's vehicle did not cost the reported $60,000. That was for two vehicles. One for his number two guy.

Jane18
Jane18 02/14/13 - 11:46 am
R & R #5

It will always be about politics and economics(politicians and money), because, in America, those two dynasties equal POWER! dichotomy's comment at 9:39 is an example of this at the county level....

harley_52
harley_52 02/14/13 - 12:08 pm
LL

"Do you have any problem with the sheriff having a chauffeur on staff?"

Does he have an employee designated as "chauffeur," or is that the terminology some have chosen to use? I can think of a number of reasons he should have a driver and a car different from his other Officers and patrolmen.

As a retired Army person, my views are different than many. I can tell you that as a 22 year old Army Captain, Company Commander in Vietnam, I had a jeep that was more "decked out" than other members of my Company and I had my own, full time driver. In the military, the organizational structure (Table of Organization and Equipment (TOE)) recognizes that the boss has more important things to be doing than driving, that broader responsibility sometimes requires different equipment (weapons, communications equipment, etc.) than other members of the organization.

So, I guess my answer is "no."

Sometimes it's good to know just by glancing that the "boss" is in the area.

Now, I can argue there are some good, operational security (OPSEC) reasons why it's a bad idea too.

How about his entourage everywhere he goes?

I'm not sure what you mean here, but if you mean when he goes to visit some particular place should he bring other staff personnel and/or representatives of the various, appropriate levels of the chain of command along with him then I think it's perfectly appropriate and, in fact, the mark of a good leader.

Do you think sheriff Roundtree will appear in public alone?

Ever? Yes.

Otherwise, see above.

harley_52
harley_52 02/14/13 - 12:24 pm
I Want A Sheriff...

....who understands his mission (law enforcement), who understands his organization, who is equipped to carry out his mission, and who accomplishes his mission.

So far I have no reason to believe Sheriff Roundtree isn't that man.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 02/14/13 - 01:28 pm
I have no problem with

I have no problem with Sheriff Roundtree having the Tahoe. It's an appropriate vehicle for a top law enforcement officer. It's my opinion that the "drivers" are a waste of taxpayer money. If the budget were fat and all other needs were met, then it might be an option for him. If he needs security, the officers should be at least as big and physically capable as he appears to be. Given the reputation for womanizing on the job, the use of a female officer gives an unprofessional impression. It really isn't very smart of him and is unfair to her.

As to the public opining on such matters, the Sheriff should be glad to see firsthand the impact of his decisions. If he plays this right, he'll be sheriff for a very long time, if not...we'll see.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/14/13 - 01:32 pm
The Criticism of Roundtree

I’m on the same page with Harley concerning Roundtree. It’s interesting that both of us supported a different candidate, but have moved on from the election. There have been three criticisms leveled at Tree so far as I’ve seen.

The SUV he will have that was incorrectly reported as costing 60 grand when it’s only 35 thousand. The limiting of deputies speaking to the press unless it is someone approved. We just had a police killing of a violent suspect and using RCSO spokespeople with the press only, there was no protest from the public. Contrast that with the Cherry Tree shooting and riots. I’d certainly give Tree a check on that incident from the results.

Lastly, we have this thing about somebody driving him around. Harley explains it well, but Tree has only been in office 6 weeks for goodness sakes and apparently just got his vehicle. We don’t even know if he will have a permanent driver yet.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 02/14/13 - 01:30 pm
River, where do you car shop?

River, where do you car shop? No way a new Tahoe sells for $35K
Not that it matters to me, because I don't view the vehicle as a problem.

Kettle donations rise in 2014