Rants and Raves

RANT TO SRS for employing 8,000 people, of which only 700 are hourly, non-exempt workers. A disgusting example of wasteful government spending. And you are talking more layoffs.

MCG WILL ALWAYS be MCG to me. Children’s Medical Center will al­ways be Children’s Medical Center.

I AM A WOMAN, and I believe women should not be in combat roles in the military.

TOM BECK, KEEP AT IT. Don’t let Fred Russell get away with this. He should be the one fired. They should put you back in. I have known you for over 32 years, and I have never heard a complaint about you. You have done a wonderful job at the rec center.

MCG, INSTEAD OF paying construction costs to narrow Laney-Walker Boulevard, why not put up signs to reduce the speed limit and let MCG security write speeding tickets?

HE NEEDS TO change his name from Lance Arm­strong to Lance Be Gone.

PLEASE REST ASSURED that “commonsense gun laws” is socialist speech for the complete disarmament of all American citizens.

IF YOU HAVE a concealed weapons permit, if you have purchased a weapon from a store, if you have gone to a shooting range, if you have purchased ammu­nition, if you made a pro-Second Amendment statement on Facebook, if you “liked” a pro-Second Amendment site on Facebook, if you “liked” an anti-Obama site on Facebook, if you are retired military and/or if you checked the “yes” box on the new HIPPA form concerning weapons, you are already on a federal registry.

SNOWBOARDER Shaun White is disgusting. No man should wear his pants that short. There’s no room even for underwear. Yuck!

FORTY ACRES AND a mule = Section 8 and a SNAP card.

MAKES ME FEEL kinda good that our new sheriff is trying to do his best going into the big-time clubs and pulling the guys out of there and they are not black guys. Keep up the good work.

BIG RAVE TO Martha King of the Augusta Cares Program, who is unfailingly prompt and courteous. In the event a concern is not immediately addressed by the responsible city department, Martha makes an effort to resolve the issue. Augusta is lucky to have you.

dwb619
dwb619 02/12/13 - 12:59 pm
big time clubs

Probably was referring to the night club in Surrey Center , the new owners hadn't gotten a liquor license. Was reported in the Chronicle several days ago.

nocnoc
nocnoc 02/12/13 - 01:07 pm
I nominate President Obama as

I nominate President Obama as Gun Salesmen of the year, for 4 years running.

There have been 65,376,373 background checks completed since President Obama's first full month in office, or 44,748 background checks per day!

countyman
20120
countyman 02/12/13 - 01:33 pm
Augusta moving forward

The TEE center was approved back in 2005, and didn't start construction until the middle of 2010. No chance of keeping the same construction cost five years later.

I'm glad we approved T-SPOLST, because look at the ongoing construction on Wrightsboro rd. Think about the construction headed towards Mike Padgett Hwy later on in 2013. New jobs, higher quality of life, and the best infrastructure attracts the best companies.

Once GRU continues to expand they can target certain lower income areas in the county. This happens across the country when universities began to grow. There's a great chance for them to sponsor community wide initiatives such exercising, walking/biking, eating healthy, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. Simple things like ride your bike to work can be accomplished.

The thousands of future jobs at the Village at Riverwatch development is for the average guy/gal. Costco pays their employees more than Sams, Walmart, Target, etc.

I'm definitely behind making sure the growth affects the grassroots level.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/12/13 - 03:17 pm
Optimism

Countyman wrote:

Thousands is a bit too high for a retail center.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/12/13 - 03:28 pm
"Thousands is a bit too high

"Thousands is a bit too high for a retail center."

Are you implying Countyman would overstate something? I'm aghast.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/12/13 - 03:38 pm
Rain

Hey, RM, how is the run-off going out Blackstone Camp way? With all this rain, I'm hoping the developers got their retention ponds and silt fences in place.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/12/13 - 04:05 pm
LL, I haven't noticed

LL, I haven't noticed anything this time. Before it was unreal. Something must have been wrong. Now they have it planted over with rye grass. Maybe they did something to make their retention pond work better. I don't know. Tonight and tomorrow should be a real test with the predicted rain.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/12/13 - 06:00 pm
Expensive Police Vehicles in Columbia and Richmond counties

The conversation about the type vehicle the Richmond Cty Sheriff is driving reminds me of something. A long time ago the Columbia County Sheriff's Office under Clay Whittle bought big Expeditions for the Sheriff and supervisors at a far greater cost than the standard police vehicle. I complained mightily to no avail. The newspaper took up for them. Expeditions and Tahoes cost about the same, by the way.

I didn't even see the point of a supervisor having a county vehicle, but it was explained to me they had to visit the scenes of incidents and so on. When I asked about the differences in the costs, it was explained the maintenance costs were less with the more expensive vehicles. Like I said, the paper took up for them. My reply was if the more expensive a vehicle was the cheaper the costs in the long run then we should let the State Patrol in on such a good deal.

Just thought I would remind everyone of that controversy as we have a mini one going again in Richmond County. It was finally shown they actually lost money with the big vehicles and I believe they did away with them for awhile at least. It would be interesting to know if the Columbia County Sheriff and the supervisors are once again driving such expensive vehicles? If they are, maybe we should concentrate on them a bit and give the RCSO a rest.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/12/13 - 06:42 pm
Words Spoken By Sarge

"I'm Sick Of Being Sick"

News today is that the cancer has now spread thoughout his bone system. It is in his rib cage now to the point that if CPR was performed it would break his ribs.

He has decided to not take anymore Chemo and antibiotics for his blood infection.

What more can I say.....

harley_52
harley_52 02/12/13 - 06:58 pm
"What more can I say....."

Tried to call him at the new number and didn't get an answer. Maybe he was sleeping.

countyman
20120
countyman 02/12/13 - 07:34 pm
The Costco store is nearly

The Costco store is nearly 200 jobs in the Village at Riverwatch.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/12/13 - 08:29 pm
Just Curious

countyman, do you pocess a CWP?

KSL
KSL 02/12/13 - 09:07 pm
Ranter #1

What is your beef with salaried employees? They may be required to work overtime without compensation. If the overtime gets to be too much, they may get comp time, but it isn't time and a half, like that pays the bills.

KSL
KSL 02/12/13 - 09:52 pm
Hey tsd

What is your beef with salaried employee? Man up, speak up?

Or can you not do it.

KSL
KSL 02/12/13 - 10:19 pm
And I guess if you have a

And I guess if you have a problem with salaried employees, you really have a problem with self-employed people, out of total ignorance!