Child hurt as fire guts Harrisburg home

Fire gutted a house in Harrisburg on Sunday night and sent a 2-year-old boy to Georgia Regents Medical Center.

His name and condition had not been released late Sunday.

Augusta Fire Department Battalion Chief Chris Reid said a firefighter pulled the child through a bedroom window. The chief said he did not know if the child was alive.

Although five people live in the house in the 500 block of Carr Street, Reid said just a man and the child were home at 8:20 p.m. when firefighters were called. It appears the fire started from a pot cooking on the stove, the chief said.

Neighbors David Poole and Erik Evans said they were next door cooking steaks when they saw flames and ran over to help while others called 911.

Knowing a toddler was inside, the two threw a brick through a side bedroom window to get inside. While Evans lifted him up, Poole pushed his leg through the window. He said he tried to crawl inside but the smoke was too much. He called to the child and heard him respond before going quiet.

“One peep, that was it,” Poole said.

“We tried ... ” Evans said.

Evans said while they tried to get inside, the man who lived in the house was trying to extinguish the blaze with a garden hose.

It took firefighters about 45 minutes to put out the fire, according to Reid.

Neighbors stood outside in pajamas, holding up phones to capture photos and video.

E.B. Watkins, who lives in the Carr Street home with his girlfriend and three others, said he was down the street when the fire started. He said he turned the corner to come home and saw the flames and felt his heart sink.

“Oh, Lord, I just said to myself,” Watkins said. “It about scared me to death.”

More

Thu, 12/08/2016 - 22:35

Rants & Raves

Thu, 12/08/2016 - 21:57

Empty Stocking list