Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I AM SHOCKED THAT a conservative newspaper like this one would parade homosexuality around on the front page with a headline like “She was my wife.” I am truly sorry for the loss of Officer Rogers and respect her service, but there’s no need to share her private life with us. This article seemed more like a propaganda piece for gay marriage.

IMMIGRATION REFORM = Citizenship for Invaders.

TO THE RANTER WHO waited 15 minutes behind someone at Bojangles’: Was that an exaggeration? I would never waste my gas or school time like that. Start honking at one-minute mark, at most.

IT’S GOOD TO COME UP with new ways of teaching our kids in elementary schools, as reported in The Augusta Chronicle, but the question remains: Are the overall performance levels improving year after year in these schools? Some teachers get carried away with their own experiments and forget that they are there in the first place to teach the children.

RANT TO NBC NEWS when reporting on New­town shooting. The shooter used handguns only; four were found by police in the school. Check out Chicago. It has the highest (illegal) handgun crimes.

RANT FOR THE 60 Minutes Obama-Clinton interview. I could not stomach any more pat-on-the-back slobbering responses. It almost made me puke.

I LOOK FORWARD TO the business features each Monday in The Chronicle. Seed Master’s Unlimited Cafe was a marvelous story about Barbara Cha­ney, who not only serves delicious homemade meals but also provides free holiday meals for the homeless during Christmas.

WANT TO REBUILD the rundown section of Augusta and increase the tax base? Then change the zoning code to allow pre-built homes. No, I am not talking mobile homes. I am talking $65k-$100k, HUD/FHA-approved homes.

RAVE FOR THE GUYS at Fire Station No. 6 – Richmond Hill Road. They were very helpful when I brought in my 85-year-old grandmother on Jan. 26, concerned and attentive to her needs.

RANT TO AUGUSTA DRIVERS. Learn what it means to stop and let emergency vehicles like fire trucks and ambulances go by. The next life they save might be yours!

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 02/09/13 - 09:25 am
It's got a long ways to go to

It's got a long ways to go to feel like 61 today. Looking forward to some really warm days. Guess the residents of NY would like our temperature, though. Are we spoiled or what?

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 02/09/13 - 09:36 am
I nominate the best Rant as

I nominate the best Rant as #6..."60 Minutes Obama-Clinton interview".

Dittos on #9 and I will raise it to include the Military, LEO's EMT's and Firemen!! Thank you for your service and keeping us safer. I've never met one, I didn't like.

And I certainly wouldn't suggest that honking thing...

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/09/13 - 09:45 am
No More Algebra

I see where California and other states are saying college prep courses no longer have to offer algebra. Now why couldn't they have done that decades ago? I still have nightmares from Mr. Jarvis' classes.

I finally made it to college and started passing math CLEP tests like I was a PhD mathematician. Mr. Jarvis had been beating it in our heads at some level way beyond what's intended for high school students. Still I could have done without some of the erasers he threw my way. Heh.

KSL
KSL 02/09/13 - 11:16 am
I loved algebra. But then I

I loved algebra. But then I loved Latin. Hated trig and especially the so called new math.

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/09/13 - 01:02 pm
I credit Algebra I & II as

I credit Algebra I & II as being responsible for most of my problem solving and troubleshooting ability. Not just for the math, but for teaching me how to approach a problem and find a solution.....the thought process. Hated Trig though.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/09/13 - 02:31 pm
Speaking of happy

She posted this on another forum...very impressive ...list of black inventors.....

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/09/13 - 02:47 pm
KSL
KSL 02/09/13 - 02:51 pm
Right, Dichotomy

My father is the one responsible for choosing the courses I would take in high school. The reason for the math was not so much would I use the actual math in later life, but "It teaches you to think," quoting him.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/09/13 - 04:52 pm
Isanother day, said, "Masters

Isanother day, said, "Masters Tickets...RM is spot on. Complimentary tickets should come with a photo of the person using them."

I'd like to see some of the patrons who end up with THOSE tickets having a photo of THOSE Commissioners on them.

Darby
Darby 02/09/13 - 05:02 pm
"He is always on your minds."

Much like a toothache...

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 02/09/13 - 06:05 pm
Ouch.

Ouch.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/09/13 - 06:13 pm
Willow

"It's got a long ways to go to feel like 61 today."

I didn't know it was your birthday... You don't look 61.....

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 02/09/13 - 06:24 pm
Willow!

Happy birthday, kid!

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 02/09/13 - 06:44 pm
Haha, IAD & dstewartsr, I'm a

Haha, IAD & dstewartsr, I'm a July baby; you know the crab. Get back with me on the 12th!

Darby
Darby 02/09/13 - 08:50 pm
Willow, I don't believe for a minute...

that you could be crabby if you wanted to..

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/09/13 - 11:12 pm
Hey, you know I was just

Hey, you know I was just yanking your chain!

Daniel Field removes trees, lights structures in airspace

Daniel Field, managed by operations company Augusta Aviation, has spent more than $30,000 conducting land surveys, removing 30 trees and installing red blinking lights on top of the Newman Tennis ...