Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

A BIG RAVE FOR Brett Heimlich a medical student at GRU, for his community service in the Harrisburg neighborhood. He deserves the American Medical Association Foundation’s 2013 Leadership Award which he will receive on Feb. 11 in Washington D.C. Brett, you are an inspiration to all of us!

RANT FOR THE LACK of enforcement from Columbia County on trashy yards. Oak Springs Drive is a prime example.

IF WE REALLY WANT to interpret historical documents literally, the Declaration of Independence declares, “All MEN are created equal.” That interpretation dignifies the chauvinistic attitude that many men continue to harbor in our present day.

Do we really think the 2nd Amendment meant form your own armies?

WHY IS TED NUGENT still in America? Did he not promise to leave if Obama were re-elected?

LAYOFFS AT Inter­national Paper and Procter & Gamble, the plant closing in Wrens, higher unemployment, wage and economic stagnation, etc. Welcome to four more years of Obama’s anti-business economy. I hope you folks who voted for him are happy.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN when Hillary Clinton says that she accepts full responsibility for the Benghazi debacle? She will not suffer any punishment. Sad to see that nobody will be held accountable for those that died.

I DON’T CARE WHAT the Joint Chiefs chairman says. You can bet that the standards will be lowered over the years to allow women to become combat soldiers.

RAVE FOR THE article on the front page of the Opinion section Jan. 20, but it didn’t go far enough. If one wants to find out more about why Americans are abandoning positive traditional culture just pick up a copy of the book The Naked Communist; it makes for a good read.

WHY ON EARTH DID the high and mighty Georgia Regents have to blemish the name of the hospital? Its reputation was bad enough for poor service without putting Regents into it.

JRC2024
JRC2024 02/07/13 - 09:23 am
I could care less what Joe

I could care less what Joe Lowery says or anybody like him. I may not be the smartest guy in the room but I can say I am not ignorant either. Just tired of people like him.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 02/07/13 - 09:38 am
Women in military roles

I have seen young girls whose hips were out of place from just trying to carry all that weight on their backs.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 02/07/13 - 01:47 pm
The more women try to be men;

The more women try to be men; the less men will try to be men.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/07/13 - 09:46 am
Good Morning "It's Another Day In" America.

@1 GRU Topic, No Comment.

@2 Demographics

@3 Yep, "I's The Man" (remember the song)
Yep, if need to eradicate a rotten government like what we have today!

@4 Who gives a HOOT if he does or doesn't?

@5 Those that voted for him will always be guaranteed "Happiness".

@6 Qualifications for the the next "Hammer & Sickle Lady."

@7 We are getting to be first in everything, Why not have the first homosexual Army. No more sexual harassment charges. Just assaults for Man wanting Man & Women wanting Women.

@8 I thing the two books of The King SMNCICBHO, the Hammer & Sickle Man clarifies the point better.

@9 History has been banned, no longer used to solve problems.

@10 GRU Topic, No comment.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/07/13 - 09:47 am
Gee B4

I thought you were past those "Bad" days of the month periods!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/07/13 - 10:00 am
Here's A Scary Thought!

"Drones can be used to kill American citizens, (home & abroad)

No more need for martial law...There is always be a few that hate Americans needed to fly drones.

The belief of a "Split" Army is a fading secure feeling.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/07/13 - 10:06 am
CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/07/13 - 10:16 am
And The Joke For Today IS:

"Survivor - Texas Style"

Due to the popularity of the "Survivor" shows, Texas is planning to do one entitled: "Survivor - Texas-Style!"

The lucky contestants will all start in Dallas, drive to Waco, Austin, San Antonio, then over to Houston and down to Brownsville. They will then proceed up to Del Rio, El Paso, Odessa, Midland, Lubbock, and Amarillo. From there they will go on to Abilene and Fort Worth. Finally back to Dallas.

Each contestant will be driving a pink Prius with 15 bumper stickers which will read:

1. "I'm A Democrat"
2. "Amnesty For Illegals"
3. "I Love The Dixie Chicks"
4. "Boycott Beef"
5. "I Voted For Obama"
6. "George Strait Sucks"
7. "Re-elect Obama In 2016"
8. "Vote Eric Holder Texas Governor"
9. "Rosie O’Donnell Is Texas Born"
10. "I Love Obama Care and Chuck Schumer"
11. "Barney Frank Is My Hero"
12. "I Side With Jane Fonda"
13. "It's Bush's Fault"
14. “Islam Is A Peace-Loving Religion
and the last sticker is…;

15. "I'm Here To Confiscate Your Guns"

The first contestant to make it back to Dallas alive wins!

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/07/13 - 10:51 am
Regardless of the common

Regardless of the common sense that women cannot meet the same standards and therefore the standards will be lowered just as they have done before, they are going to do it because it's politicaly correct. So...why are we not discussing registering all women for the draft at age 18 if REAL equal opportunity is the goal?

Why are our liberal leaders not posing that as part of this issue? Combat service is NOT optional for draftees. And women can either do it or they can't.....you cannot have it both ways. IF women can perform in combat then they should be eligible for the draft.

Apparently American women want the right for their female counterparts in the military to occupy combat positions for promotion purposes but also want the right to not be drafted "because I'm a woman". Men do not have that choice and neither should women. They either can or they can't but you can't have it both ways.

Somebody please tell me where I am wrong.

justthefacts
21949
justthefacts 02/07/13 - 11:03 am
B4/Postal

Seenit, ever see the Seinfeld episode when Newman explains why Postal Workers go "postal"? One of Wayne Knight's best scenes.

harley_52
harley_52 02/07/13 - 12:50 pm
"As for me, I'd rather have.....

....an "Annie Oakley" by my side in the trenches than any overaged jock."

Annie Oakley, eh?

History books tell us that Annie Oakley was a superb marksman, undoubtedly far superior in marksmanship skills to most men. Marksmanship is one of the many desirable skills of the front line infantryman, no doubt, but one of the MANY. Others include physical strength, mental toughness, the ability to survive with little or no outside help. The ability to walk for miles and miles carrying everything needed to survive (including food, water, extra clothing, a rifle, a shovel, a knife and sufficient ammunition to last a while, protective gear, and lots more depending on the situation). I haven't even mentioned personal hygiene items.

That soldier must be able to walk for miles, dig a hole, build a barrier, gather limbs, rocks, or whatever nature might provide to build a shelter, go days without sleeping, walk miles again, run for cover, dig another hole, stink, eat lousy food, and still be able to fight like his/her life depended on it.

Annie Oakley was five feet, zero inches tall and probably weighed about 105 pounds. Tiny, often frail and sickly, dressed in a dress, she was a superb marksman....but hardly capable of fighting as an infantryman.

Why is it that liberals so often attempt to make their points by using movies, TV shows, or some mythical, or historical, over-hyped heroine whom they presume to use as a stereotypical female soldier.

When a Conservative debates a liberal, the discussion is usually one where the practical, or real world meets the imaginary, or theoretical.

It's reality versus idealism. Wars are fought in reality. They will be lost if we allow our fighting force to be designed by liberals because in the mind of a liberal the furtherance of a political agenda is more important than winning a war. We shouldn't have wars anyway. Wars are for cave men. We are too "enlightened" for wars. Wars are so 1940s. Why can't we all just "get along?"

Sweet son
Sweet son 02/07/13 - 12:27 pm
Jane and JRC

Ranter # 9 really showed the color of his skin when he called everyone who doesn't like Lowery "ignorant." The use of that word in this situation is just cultural. You have to ignore him/her. I don't know where it is learned but blacks love to call whites "ignorant" when their saviors and their ideals are not embraced! Those who use that word might need to look into the mirror.

allhans
allhans 02/08/13 - 05:30 pm
Did Obama ever say whether he

Did Obama ever say whether he would allow his son, if he had one, to join the Boy Scouts?

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 02/07/13 - 01:46 pm
Having never personally been

Having never personally been in a foxhole, I'll take the word of a man who has.

And lest we forget, Annie rode side-saddle.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 02/07/13 - 01:46 pm
When we start drafting women,

When we start drafting women, does anyone think Obama's daughters will ever be drafted?

harley_52
harley_52 02/07/13 - 02:47 pm
"When we start drafting women....

....does anyone think Obama's daughters will ever be drafted?"

I surely don't.

The ruling class almost never fights wars and when they do it's usually just for show, or just to build a resume', or both. John Kerry and Al Gore are two prime examples.

harley_52
harley_52 02/07/13 - 02:49 pm
seenitB4
seenitB4 02/07/13 - 03:10 pm
LOL

Jokes, Funny, laughs and Quotes

‎70 year old Luigi goes to his doctor for an annual check-up. The doctor is amazed at what good shape Luigi is in and asks, 'How do you stay in such great physical condition?' ‘I'm Italian and a golfer’ says Luigi, 'and that's why I'm in such good shape. I'm up well before daylight and out golfing up and down the fairways. I have a glass of vino, and all is well.' 'Well,' says the doctor, 'I'm sure that helps, but there's got to be more to it. How old was your Dad when he died?' 'Who said my Dad's dead?' The doctor is in amazement. 'You mean you're 70 years old and your Dad's still alive. How old is he?' 'He's 90 years old,' says Luigi. 'In fact he golfed with me this morning, and then we went to the beach for a walk and had a little vino and that's why he's still alive. He's Italian and he's a golfer, too.' 'Well,' the doctor says, 'that's great, but I'm sure there's more to it than that. How about your Dad's Dad? How old was he when he died?' 'Who said my grandpa's dead?' Absolutely stunned, the doctor asks, 'You mean you're 70 years old and your grandfather's still living! Incredible, how old is he?' 'He's 108 years old,' says Luigi. The doctor is getting frustrated at this point, 'So, I guess he went golfing with you this morning too?' 'No. Grandpa couldn't go this morning because he's getting married today.' At this point the doctor is close to losing it. 'Getting married; why would a 108 year old guy want to get married?' 'Who said he wanted to?'

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/07/13 - 03:12 pm
Yes CGee

I have been through the big M...but hormones can put you in orbit.....not that I need any though :)

jtf...funny skit.....I love that show & still watch the reruns....soo much to do here & so little time...

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/07/13 - 03:14 pm
Draft me

I feel like I could use a machine gun today....yep...just what I need.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/07/13 - 03:28 pm
Cahoots.....

My Travel Plans for 2013-2014

I have been in many places, but I've never been in Cahoots. Apparently, you can't go alone. You have to be in Cahoots with someone.

I've also never been in Cognito. I hear no one recognizes you there.

I have, however, been in Sane. They don't have an airport; you have to be driven there. I have made several trips there, thanks to my children, friends, family and work.

I would like to go to Conclusions, but you have to jump, and I'm not too much on physical activity anymore.

I have also been in Doubt. That is a sad place to go, and I try not to visit there too often.

I've been in Flexible, but only when it was very important to stand firm.

Sometimes I'm in Capable, and I go there more often as I'm getting older.

One of my favorite places to be is in Suspense! It really gets the adrenaline flowing and pumps up the old heart! At my age I need all the stimuli I can get!

I may have been in Continent, and I don't remember what country I was in. It's an age thing. They tell me it is very wet and damp there.

thauch12
thauch12 02/07/13 - 04:42 pm
@seenit, unfortunately your

@seenit, unfortunately your defense of postal workers, while admirable, is not really based in fact. the fact of the matter is that, for the work they do, they are undeniably overpaid. this is not any fault of their own. it boils down to the unions that back these workers and demand such outrageous pay packages. at the end of the day, it will be these very same workers who are hurting but i hope they enjoy their ride on the gravy train as long as it lasts (typical union logic, not mine).

can anyone give me a logical reason why in the world the STARTING salary at the post office should be $15-$20 an hour ESPECIALLY when the company is going bankrupt? (http://www.education.com/reference/article/usps-employment-requirements-...)
these are not jobs that require any special skills or bravery. as for your assertion that "many" postal workers have college educations, i would love to see a source for that. the VAST majority are high school graduates. there is little incentive for higher education in this company when the starting salaries are that ridiculously high.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 02/07/13 - 03:45 pm
"And lest we forget, Annie rode side-saddle."

And as my dressage instructor noted, "If the world made sense, men would be the ones riding side-saddle."

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/07/13 - 03:55 pm

I will be sure & put it in a veeery important place...you can count on it.....

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/07/13 - 04:02 pm
Chauvinistic?

Someone saying he was a 6 ft. 3 in, 190 lb., former airborne infantryman is not being chauvinistic, he’s stating facts.

HenryWalker3rd
HenryWalker3rd 02/07/13 - 04:22 pm
Selective Blindness

"THOSE WHO CAN’T appreciate Rev. Joseph Lowery and his history lessons are ignorant. You have to learn about the sins of the past to understand not to repeat them in the present or future."

thauch12
thauch12 02/07/13 - 04:46 pm
you're welcome seenit! one of

you're welcome seenit! one of the simple joys is the ability to teach others using wonderful things called facts and sources :)

also, why would we want ted nugent to leave? he's hilarious (whether he is trying to be or not)!

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 02/07/13 - 05:05 pm
"Who are they planning to shoot?"

If you have to ask, you may be on "the list."

harley_52
harley_52 02/07/13 - 05:17 pm
"If you have to ask, you may be on "the list."

I'd be surprised if I wasn't.

The question is a rhetorical one. I was hoping it would encourage people to THINK.

Vogtle workers see both reactor projects

Some veterans of the nuclear industry were at the site south of Augusta to see the complex network of rebar and concrete rising out of the ground in the 1970s and ’80s. Now, they are back.