Ex-Georgia teacher sentenced for student sex

ATLANTA — A former Georgia middle school teacher has been sentenced to prison on charges of having sex with a student.

DeKalb County prosecutors say Almarcus Dewayne Thomas was sentenced to 30 years with 20 years in custody after he was accused of having sex with a 14-year-old student while employed at Tucker Middle School.

The DeKalb County District Attorney’s Office said Thomas pleaded guilty to charges of child molestation, statutory rape, sexual battery and invasion of privacy.

Thomas, a former seventh-grade teacher, was arrested in March after allegations that he had a seven-month sexual relationship with the student.

billcass
billcass 02/05/13 - 01:47 pm
Disparate punishments

Is it just me, or do the punishments in these type of cases differ greatly when the child is a male? I seem to recall several cases of female teachers having sex with male students, and the punishment is nowhere near this harsh.

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/05/13 - 02:14 pm
No, it's not just you

No, it's not just you billcass. The disparity, no outright sexual discrimination, in sentencing is astounding.

my.voice
my.voice 02/05/13 - 05:01 pm
@billcass, I was thinking the

@billcass, I was thinking the exact same thought. Talk about a double standard. We sensationalize the females and crucify the males. I'm for the latter on both sexes.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/06/13 - 10:18 am
What...

Heck...some rape & kill & don't get that much time....not computing here...

my.voice
my.voice 02/06/13 - 01:09 pm
Upon further research, this

Upon further research, this character had videos of another teacher on his phone up her skirt and of his mother in law bathing. Maybe the judge curbed a real problem in the making.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 02/06/13 - 10:37 pm
I know one thing

Murderers and rapists don't get this much time.

What this man did is worth every minute he spends in prison. Total predator.
One thing that bothers me is why Scott Dean got so much time. I don't know the particualars of the case but from what I do know there sure are a lot of unanswered questions.