Rants & Raves

DON’T BLAME the paper mill or anything else on the south side for the horrible odor in Augusta. That stench is coming from the Marble Palace in downtown.

A RAVE for Quayshawn at the Church’s Chicken on Laney-Walker. She always has the hottest and juiciest chicken and I never have to wait for it. She keeps that place running.

RANTS TO THESE elected officials that are trying to further erode our Second Amendment rights. The Second Amend­ment was not intended to protect hunting rights. It is there to ensure we the people have the capability to resist a tyrannical government.

AT LEAST ONE thing’s for certain if the 22nd Amendment is changed: Barack Obama will have to beat Bill Clinton before he can serve a third term.

TO THE PEOPLE who think Augusta is all bad, this is what you do: move out or don’t come here. That will fix your problem.

HILLARY CLINTON claimed she assumed responsibility for everything that happened in Benghazi by then assuming no responsibility. And Americans accept such blatant lies. No wonder we’re sinking fast.

OUR NATION’S founders are being recast as racist, sexist, rich slave owners when in reality they were the greatest collection of thinkers and humanists in the same place at the same time in world history, and the republic they left us is the best that has ever existed. Honestly, do you really believe Obama, Biden, Boehner, Reed, Pelosi and the rest of today’s geniuses are gonna leave us and, more importantly, our children’s children with a better nation?

PLEASE SPARE US from having to look at photos of Alvin Mason and Marion Williams in the newspaper. I wish the local stations would stop showing them on TV.

INSTEAD OF BUILDING a bridge connecting two buildings, wouldn’t it be smarter to have a pedestrian bridge connecting us to North Augusta, especially with the new stadium?

Comments (98)

harley_52
19524
harley_52 02/04/13 - 11:58 am

GnipGnop...

....sounds like you are a resident of Richmond County, so complaining is quite understandable. I'm more taking issue with some of the non-residents who seem to delight in finding and highlighting negative things, day after day, after day about Augusta and Richmond County.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/04/13 - 12:02 pm

Walton

countyman asked:

GnipGnop... Where does Gordon Hwy intersect with Walton Way?

I know you didn't ask me, but here is the answer:

At the Red Lobster, Popeye's, and Wendy's.

Sweet son
Sweet son 02/04/13 - 12:08 pm

@Shrimp

Your earlier comment about Sean was right on the money. I too have had my share of "abuse warnings" and most of them were justified. Sean threatened me a few times but if you email him he will respond and usually enlighten you on what you did wrong.

Sean is tops in my book and as I always say he has to work very hard to manage all of us who comment on the AC.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 02/04/13 - 12:14 pm

Sorry Countyman

Hotels in no way upgrade the value of life for the residents of an area and tend to bring in a bad element. (How many prostitution arrests have we heard about near the Tubman Home Road to North Leg area) If you can name me one thing that has been built from the twin lakes to North Leg other than a hotel I will retract my statement. By development I meant Box Stores and nice eateries.

countyman
countyman 02/04/13 - 12:19 pm

Little Lamb.. I did forget

Little Lamb.. I did forget Walton Way went that far, but I changed my earlier comment already.

The Jail report is definitely not a good indicator of daily crime in the metro area. They usually concentrate on eye catching stories similar to the local media.

The best way to judge crime is too look at the stats from the Sheriffs department. The population of Richmond County is the largest in the area, and Augusta is located inside of the county. The majority of crime reports will always be related to Augusta, but it means nothing when you start comparing per capita.

GhipGnop.. How do hotels not improve the quality life and bring in the bad element? What bad element did the $20 million Sheraton bring in? I think you're confusing old run down motels with multi-million hotels.

All of the new hotels I mentioned were multi-million investments, and definitely help improved the Gordon Hwy area. The old motel near Tubman home rd was demolished, and can't be compared to the newer hotels on Gordon Hwy near I-520.

I also brought up the $5 million American Tire facility, and $15 million master plan community.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 02/04/13 - 12:20 pm

I disagree...

I can't ever remember anyone saying "gee what we need near here is a hotel!" Those are for generating money but do not upgrade the area. Look at what has closed in the area. The whole Mall, banks, 2 grocery stores, T-Bones, Pizza Hut, Krystal, 3 Movie Theaters (when you include the one inside the Mall)...someone should have took the initiative to stop all of this in it's tracks instead of wasting money on studies. Everyone knows the problem but we'd rather throw money downtown than invest in Augusta as a whole. It's sad really....

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/04/13 - 12:21 pm

Funeral Procession

Speaking of the Red Lobster, Popeye's, Wendy's and the Gordon Hwy.—Walton Way intersection; I got caught there the other day by a funeral procession travelling east on Walton Way. Maybe the burial was over by the fairgrounds or something, but it caused a complete mess at the aforementioned intersection. The funeral procession was long and was accompanied by several motorcycle patrolmen.

I got trapped between Gordon Hwy. and Fifth St. headed west. The policemen stopped traffic at Fifth & Walton, but the lead funeral car got caught at the red light at Gordon Hwy. (the patrolman did not plan on two lights that close together). When the patrolman got the procession going across Gordon hwy, it really bogged things down. It was during the lunch hour, and I was trapped almost twenty minutes.

I can just imagine how many cars were held up on Gordon Hwy. I'll bet some of them were backed up over the Savannah River bridge.

I'm all in favor of showing respect during a funeral procession, but the funeral home and the police should have planned a better route. If they had used Greene Street, they would have gone under Gordon Hwy. and would not have caused such a traffic jam.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/04/13 - 12:25 pm

Other Closures

Hey, GnipGnop, don't forget other closures such as Corky Bell's restaurant and all of those car dealerships that moved out to Washington @ Flowing Wells. The mobile home dealership is still hanging on.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 02/04/13 - 12:31 pm

I loved Corky Bells!!

I am old enough to remember when it was a Ponderosa Steak House. The swinging Bridge at the flea market right near there too!! When the Krystal was the place to go late at night for grub. The shoney's drive in too! Sancho's, Western Sizzlin...showing my age now lol.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/04/13 - 12:34 pm

Trapped

When I got trapped headed west on Walton Way between Gordon Hwy. and Fifth St., I had an up-close and personal look at the patrons of Wendy's wishing to exit the parking lot. They were completely trapped. They couldn't get onto Walton Way nor onto Gordon Hwy. It's a good thing the Wendy's didn't catch on fire, because no one was getting into or out of that place!

I presume the same thing was happening over at the Red Lobster — patrons trapped in the parking lot with no way to exit. At least the Popeye's patrons had one escape route if they were willing to head south on Fifth Street and then head southwest on Gordon Hwy.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/04/13 - 12:40 pm

Home Folks

I spent a good deal of money at the Home Folks newstand and record store in Southgate.

Also, can anybody remind me what the name of the cowboy-themed place just off of Gordon Hwy. and just down from Deans Bridge? It closed shortly after I moved here.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 02/04/13 - 12:43 pm

Was it a bar?

Where exactly?

harley_52
19524
harley_52 02/04/13 - 01:04 pm

" The shoney's drive in too! Sancho's, Western Sizzlin..."

How about Sambo's? That used to be a great breakfast franchise, but couldn't survive its name as the Country became Politically Correct.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 02/04/13 - 01:25 pm
burninater
burninater 02/04/13 - 04:00 pm

Maybe the 14th time's the

Maybe the 14th time's the charm, HA!

This is a gem from Taitz's 13th failed court bid to win her case:

U.S. District Judge Morrison C. England Jr.:

"Your argument, it doesn't make any sense whatsoever."

Let's see if the SC agrees.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 02/04/13 - 04:18 pm

We shall see. Hard to ignore

We shall see. Hard to ignore facts....at least for some people it is...some seem to find it quite easy, it appears.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/04/13 - 04:21 pm

Harley

Shoneys...Sanchos & Western Sizzling......I loved that side of town too.....our stomping grounds...especially Sanchos....once while talking to a repairman on line....he said he was taking his Mrs out to supper because it was an anniversary.....I was thinking big time restaurants.....I said where are you taking her tonight...he said Shoneys ....he was in Thomson & they didn't have one yet...he meant it...btw...I'm married to that kind of guy....sooo know how down to earth some guys are....

burninater
burninater 02/04/13 - 04:27 pm

Hard to ignore facts....at

--------
Indeed. Taitz ignoring thirteen separate courts judging her "facts" to be nothing of the sort demonstrates this principle beautifully.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/04/13 - 04:32 pm

Tell me if we have had policy changes

Sean.....
if any poster has the authority to tell others how--when--why in posting ...please let me know.....the last time I checked that job belonged to you...& is there any way possible to get the block option on here...yaknow like other venues have...it sure would come in handy...:) thanks.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/04/13 - 04:36 pm

harley

My post up above had 0 to do with you...I think you are right & I have even said to ctyman in here I will try to tone down my posts that are negative about my home....my love ones & friends live in Richmond county....

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/04/13 - 04:43 pm

McCain is in trouble over joke...

He told them to lighten up...it was a joke....hahah I know how McCain feels...LOL

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 02/04/13 - 04:58 pm

@ seenit 3:32

You can use the "Ignore user" link under every comment. I encourage people to use it.

harley_52
19524
harley_52 02/04/13 - 05:03 pm

SeenitB4....

Thanks for pointing out that you weren't referring to me. I'm NOT trying to tell anybody how to/not to post. People are certainly free to post whatever they choose within Sean's limits. I have no say one way or the other.

And I have the same freedom to comment as they do. Nobody has to like what I say and I'm sure some/many don't. In this particular case, I'm simply saying I wish some would worry as much about their own neighborhoods as they do mine. I'm a taxpayer here. I've lived here for over 30 years. Both my children went to grade school and high school here, one of them graduated from college here, and lives here with her family. Richmond County has its warts, but those of us who live here (and pay taxes here) are the ones who should be doing the griping, not those who have no particular dog in the fight and I don't think it's helpful for such comments when people considering locating their family (or business) here might be watching. It really isn't as bad as some would have you believe.

Just my opinion.

BamaMan
BamaMan 02/04/13 - 05:25 pm

Cowboy theme

Littlelamb, I'm thinking on the name of the place. It started out as a steakhouse-trying to remember the name of that too. It has been a different bar many times. Back in the early 70's once it was Kitten's Korner. Went many times. Saw Tiny Tim there. He had just married Ms. Vickie. We went to laugh at him, but he had the last laugh. He put on one of the better shows I went to. Left that side of town in 1980, and haven't been back. Got too bad for us, and didn't want the kids coming along to grow up there.

myfather15
myfather15 02/04/13 - 05:41 pm

"WHO ARE YOU ARMING

"WHO ARE YOU ARMING yourselves against? If the “government” wanted to take your weapons, they have that Army that less than 1 percent of us have ever served in."

THEY don't HAVE anything. The VOLUNTEER "Army"; better stated military, is a group of citizens, with their own beliefs. This is the exact problem with people that think like this. They assume the Government OWNS those people, which is far from the truth. In the event of Civil War, the military would be completely split, personel wise. The equipment would probably be divided as well.

With that and the fact there are over 180 million ARMED citizens in this Country, you would be shocked at how the conflict would be matched up. When you start taking citizens ability to protect themselves, you will see a lot of the "middle of the road" voters and independents, on the side of gun ownership. Why? Because common sense will kick in and they realize criminals don't follow gun laws.

Plus, the secular left doesn't acknowledge the millions of former active duty military (Including myself/Marine Corps); who are professionally trained in combat. I have NOT forgotten my training. You place an AR-15 in my hands and I'm just as effective as any current active duty military person. Now, I realize what people will say; "Are you going to fight tanks and jets with AR-15's?" As I stated, if you think the federal government will possess ALL the jets and tanks, you're just foolish. In the event of revolution, the government will NOT be able to just squash it, period.

Now, I'm not advocating such at this time, just merely pointing out that some peoples opinions of the "Army" just squashing a massive rebellion, is unrealistic. I'm friends on facebook with many of my former partners in the Marine Corps, many of whom are still active duty. They plainly show their displeasure of this gun control grab by the federal government. It will NOT be easy, at all!!

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 02/04/13 - 05:43 pm

any part of a pedestrian bridge to give Augusta hoodlums

believe you me. There are more hoodlums in North Augusta then South Augusta. They just have the gypsies to take part of the blame.

countyman
countyman 02/04/13 - 05:49 pm

New quality hotels do upgrade

New quality hotels do upgrade the entire area. Did you remember how the stretch of Gordon Hwy between I-520/Barton Chapel looked before the hotels were built? The new golf range near Holiday Inn is a direct result of the additional hotel guest staying in the area. I don't remember anybody saying hey we really need another fast food restaurant(Krystals/Pizza Hut) or low budget chain restaurants(Shoneys) along Gordon Hwy.

The $5 million American Tire facility is a much better much investment than any restaurant or the majority of big box stores. Unless the big box store was maybe either Costco, Sams, Target, etc.

Several ideas have been proposed for the Regency Mall area, and they were all shot down. The same few people who are against the city doing anything progressive.

The downtown conspiracy doesn't fly either, because the majority of commissioners live on the south side of town. The judicial center, TEE Center, and library had to open in the CBD. Why would the city open a TEE Center in South Augusta? The riverwalk, most expensive hotel in the county, shops/restaurants on Broad, Morris Museum or Art, Imperial Theater, etc are within walking distance of Reynolds street.

I also don't agree in terms of spending all the money downtown, and nowhere else around the county. I never hear anybody on here say let's spend more funds in West Augusta, but it's always bring more to South Augusta.

I bet the residents of West Augusta wish they had a $20 million vocational high school, several millions for one single park(Diamond Lakes), $2.5 million Augusta Mini theater, $3.5 million lake at Regency mall, $1 million Marshall office, $4 million for Marvin Griffin road improvements, etc

Willow Bailey
20250
Willow Bailey 02/04/13 - 06:23 pm

Let's clear the air.

In an effort to live honestly, I would like to say that I hope we all have the same freedoms to comment as long as we do so respectfully and according to policy.

I will also take this opportunity to say that if I cause an offense to someone, and you would like to discuss it, please feel free to email me. I will be happy to retract, rephrase or offer an apology to any reasonable request. If the matter cannot be reconciled in this manner or you choose not to discuss it with me, then by all means, please use the ignore button for my posts.

rebellious
rebellious 02/04/13 - 06:32 pm

Ummmm

Shrimp For Brunch said "From now on I promise to never criticize another poster." Don't let you mouth promise what your personality can't deliver.

Harley.....I moved here from the womb over 50 year ago (spelling intentional) and agree with you. I have earned the right to be critical. Others, not so much.

Countyman..... South Augusta business newly opened in the 60's included Southgate Shopping Center (we no longer had to go downtown to shop but I missed the escalators), Gibson's Discount Center, Sky City at Northleg and Wrightsboro, Gooney's Pool Hall, McDonalds on Hwy 25.

At SeenitB4.....who done weeweed in yore cornflakes, Suga?

And Sean.....You deal out justice in equal measures and run a fine benevolent dictatorship! Spoken with respect, actually!

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/04/13 - 06:43 pm

Meth use on rise in Richmond County

Production of meth, a highly addictive drug made from household cold medicine, batteries, drain cleaner, brake fluid and other harmful chemicals, increased in recent years when the shake-and-bake ...