Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I HAD TO TRAVEL Gordon Highway the other day and I couldn’t believe how slow people were driving in the left lane. Hey, the left lane is for fast moving traffic, so get out of the way! Oh, and if you don’t, I will ride your bumper!

WHY DO TWO OF our four TV stations schedule local news for 6 p.m. when they know the basketball game won’t end before 6:30 and sometimes later?

AFTER READING THE article about the vast amount of money Augusta spends on legal counsel, I feel very compelled to say: 1) Take a lesson from Columbia County and hire a firm that has enough law diversity that they can handle any kind of litigation; 2) Stay within lawful boundaries when making decisions; 3) Hire the best people for jobs, regardless of skin color; 4) Do what is best for all of Augusta and our future.

IF THE SOUTH FOUGHT like they drive in Richmond County, it’s no wonder we lost the uncivil war. Where is everyone going so fast ... slow down and be safe.

RAVES. I PULLED up to pay for my coffee at Starbucks, was told it had been paid for and they said, have a good day. Thank you.

WHILE THE CREDIT agencies are ready to pounce and downgrade us again, Washington just sits there and does little or nothing to address the problem of debt and deficits. They need to wake up since we are heading down the path that Greece went! Mr. President you need to show leadership on this issue.

OBAMA PRETENDS TO care about children, but he and his party of Democrats agree with killing 3.5 million unborn children last year.

ROUNDTREE, TAKE THE motorcycle cop off Berckmans Road and put him on Bobby Jones where he can do some good.

Imzadi
Imzadi 01/31/13 - 07:21 pm
Slow Traffic in Fast lane on Gordon Hwy

To the person complaining about people driving slow in the left lane of the Gordon Hwy...GET A LIFE ! The speed limit on this road is 45 miles per hour. The police are around every corner and you are wanting to drive too fast. There is no"FAST LANE" here. No signs stating slower traffic keep right and a 45 m.p.h speed limit. I say again GET A LIFE. If you tailgate me, you had better have GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD insurance. Besides if you will look a couple of posts below yours, you will see yet another person complaining about people driving too fast on the Gordon Hwy. They are talking about YOU, Get it?

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 01/31/13 - 07:36 pm
Regarding, "... the vast amount of money Augusta

spends on legal counsel..."

It is only in part due to the lawyers hired; many of these lawsuits are the result of either the commission or the sheriff's department doing something they know is illegal, and relying on the deep pockets of the city to crush their opponents in court. The X-mart debacle is the most recent glaring example.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 01/31/13 - 07:39 pm
Not so much on topic,

but why whenever I put something in the microwave it always ends with the handle pointing away from the door?

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/31/13 - 09:33 pm
Gordon Hy & driving

My sister was driving on the left side on Gordon few years back...a man pulled up behind her & sat on his horn...she is very stubborn & refused to change lanes.....he ranted & fumed ..pulled up beside & said some choice words...he had a wife & younguns in the car...I was feeling veeery uneasy sitting between the two of them with the man hollering from the other car....it was a tug of war for about 3 miles....needless to say I didn't choose to ride shotgun with her again... finally he turned off ...I think his Mrs made him turn off....

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/31/13 - 09:47 pm
Traffic

Once on I-20 2 tractor trailers block our path ..they both were side by side....a line of cars built up behind them....we were all fuming & mad TIL we saw the group of Highway patrol guys with radar guns waiting for speeders...about 4 cars of them,,....so we were happy with the tractors & waved & thank them....they saved us some bucks that day....:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/31/13 - 10:02 pm
Say

Say goodnight Gracie!

Jake
Jake 02/01/13 - 12:30 am
Left lane

No matter what the speed limit, the left lane should be used for faster moving traffic. It is called "moving traffic along" and everyone will be happier for it.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/01/13 - 12:36 am
And safer too Jake.

And safer too Jake.

Jane18
Jane18 02/01/13 - 07:03 am
SeenitB4 and Duck Dynasty

I know you are a fan of DD(as am I, from the first night the show came on), so, if you don't know it, the new season of shows will begin on Feb. 27th at 9:00pm on the A&E Channel.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/01/13 - 08:35 am
Thanks Jane

Give me a quick reminder right B4 that date...please...my mind wanders & sometimes it doesn't come back home...:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/01/13 - 08:37 am
ARMED guard stopped shooter

That is what it will take...just like Harley & I have said on here.....but no one listens to us..

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/01/13 - 08:48 am
I'd like to see the fast

I'd like to see the fast driver and the slow driver on the same road. They could play demolition derby.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/01/13 - 08:52 am
My sis has a business on this road

Columbia County authorities are looking for two men they say robbed a Martinez insurance agency at gunpoint Thursday.

At about 3 p.m., two men, one armed with a silver revolver, walked into the Doughtery Insurance Agency at 123 Davis Road and demanded money, according to Columbia County sheriff’s Capt. Steve Morris.

The pair left with an undisclosed amount of cash in a green older model Ford Explorer headed east on Washington Road, according to Morris.

The robbers are described as black men, one wearing a camouflage hooded sweatshirt and the other wearing a light green hooded sweatshirt.

Tell me again Columbia county....how safe yall are....& anyone can get on my case if they want to about my posting about crime BUT my heart jumped when I read this...

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/01/13 - 09:05 am
Update on shooter in driveway..

LILBURN, Georgia — The 69-year-old suburban Atlanta man accused of fatally shooting a 22-year-old man who pulled into his driveway Saturday night has been released from jail.

WSB-TV (http://bit.ly/XKGkeL) reports Phillip Sailors was released from the Gwinnett County jail Wednesday afternoon on $10,000 bond.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/01/13 - 09:15 am
Again --again again

The Japan Express restaurant at 2760 Tobacco Road was robbed at gunpoint Wednesday night, and the gunman ran away after taking cash from the register and tip jar.

According to a Richmond County Sheriff’s Office incident report, a black man wearing a black pullover hoodie came into the business about 8:45 p.m. and pointed a gun at the employee behind the counter before taking the cash.

When you read these reports day after day after day......TELL ME how can anyone feel safe ANYWHERE.....do we chalk this up to geez crime will happen.......
WE HAVE A FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE----A BIG ONE!

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/01/13 - 09:44 am
I can't even explain

When you hear of armed robbers very near your kin & loved ones it stirs an emotion I can't explain.....a scary--uneasy--helpless feeling....I for one am just sick about the society we have today....some say well in thousands you will have some crime...well tell me .....why this didn't happen in the years I grew up...we had thousands then too.....something has changed....in todays world it is like we have 0 punishment or none at all.....
I have to stop posting today.....SM won't like it..

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 02/01/13 - 09:55 am
Ranter 8, sounds like you

Ranter 8, sounds like you got a ticket from him. Berckman Road needs that motorcycle deputy and besides a patrol car is better for Bobby Jones. The officer's safety should come first.

Ranter 4 has apparently never driven north of the Mason Dixon.

dsterling9
dsterling9 02/01/13 - 09:55 am
Slow Traffic in Fast lane on Gordon Hwy

Gordon Highway is not an interstate highway. The speed limit on most of it is 45 MPH. A lot of people in the left (inside) lane are there intending to turn left at some point. If you don't get over before your turn you will never make it. Anyway if you are in such a hurry why don't you plan to leave a little sooner. On an open highway the inside lane is to allow passing of vehicles in the outside lane moving SLOWER THAN THE POSTED SPEED LIMIT and not a lane for you to drive FASTER THAN THE POSTED SPEED LIMIT. Grow up and plan better.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 02/01/13 - 10:01 am
Crime is on the rise and it's

Crime is on the rise and it's not going to change until something actually CHANGES....

No. 1 reason is godlessness, followed by the breakdown of family, drugs, Hollywood culture, Washington's culture, judicial system, with the economy coming in last place.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/01/13 - 10:42 am

That was an excellent analysis, Willow.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 02/01/13 - 10:45 am

Thank you, LL, Good Morning to you. Did you see all that pollen after the rain? It looks better today. I sure hope we are not going to have four months of it this year. Yikes!

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 02/01/13 - 10:51 am
Anyone holding Columbia County crime-free

... should be drug tested before they are allowed to post again. Like any community, there are criminals here. Some are of the home grown variety; but because of economics the majority are not of the stealing a loaf of bread sort, rather they do it because it's exciting and a sense of entitlement which drives the idea that because they live among the (relatively) well off they should have 'their share.'

It is also evident- from the reports I am aware of, the county is targeted from outside. This makes sense as well; predators go to where there is prey. Like natural predators deplete the herd of prey, the criminals have killed off their targets as well. This is why almost every public forum has at least one person asking why don't we have -- you can fill in your own blank-- good restaurants, clubs, supermarkets. The cause is criminal predation in that community, which while they claim to want law enforcement, have chiseled in the door above the courthouse, "DON'T SNITCH!" as the civic motto.

twalker449
twalker449 02/01/13 - 12:26 pm
Slow traffic

Obviously a lesson needs repeating about the traffic laws. The law pertaining to slower traffic is this; if on a LIMITED ACCESS highway, i.e. interstates and freeways, one is to be in the right lane except when passing, regardless of your speed. On UNLIMITED ACCESS roads, i.e. The Gordon Highway, Washington Road et al, you are to be in the right lane only if you are going below the posted speed limit. This is not a permission slip to drive excessive speeds, just a way of keeping traffic flows smooth and safe. As for the "I'll be riding your bumper", go ahead. I can easily ignore your infantile attempts at bullying, and besides, I can and have slammed on brakes for such drivers. It will be your fault, and I can always use the money!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 02/01/13 - 12:37 pm
Thank you, twalker. Too

Thank you, twalker. Too many times I've heard people reference the sign that says "slower traffic keep right" in limited access highways, and demand that people get out of their way. I often wonder why they feel that the "slower traffic" sign MUST be obeyed, yet the one that says "Speed Limit" doesn't apply.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 02/01/13 - 01:10 pm
twalker....I see you got a

twalker....I see you got a thumbs down on stating what the law says......as did I......interesting.

Jake
Jake 02/01/13 - 01:51 pm
Law vs Courtesy

While there is no law that says you must hold a door open for a person or say "yes, ma'am or sir", I prefer to do these things out of courtesy. And that is why I usually stay in the right lane unless I am passing someone or preparing to turn left, using my turn signal while changing lanes which is another thing many do not do and that is a law.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 02/01/13 - 02:01 pm
I agree, Jake. I will get

I agree, Jake. I will get over for faster traffic when I get a chance......unless they act like an impatient fool, riding my bumper and flashing their lights as if their time is more valuable than mine. As for turn signals.....don't get me started.

IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG
IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG 02/01/13 - 02:08 pm
I have never understood why

I have never understood why some drivers feel the need to police other drivers. If someone is going “too fast” for your comfort, assuming you are in the left lane, move over to the right lane and let them speed along and run the risk of getting a ticket. In general, lane changes should be kept at a minimum to reduce the risk of collision. It is understood that most officers will not pull someone over for doing a few miles above the speed limit; so many individuals take advantage of this fact and treat a 45 MPH zone as a 50 MPH zone, etc. If this is not you, then politely move over to the right lane when it is safe to do so and carry on to your destination. Furthermore, I do not understand the logic of the assumption that people speed simply because they are running late. For example, “they should leave earlier.” Most people speed to get some place faster, not sooner, and yes there is a difference. That is just my opinion.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 02/01/13 - 02:21 pm
Perhaps it's because they

Perhaps it's because they feel a civic duty to prevent crime?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/01/13 - 02:24 pm
Illegal Immigration- I stand corrected

On the immigration debates I advocated a high tech fence, unaware that it was tried and failed. I don't understand how or why, but my man Krauthammer makes a compelling argument for a tradional, cheap (nothing that is a gov project is cheap, it is all relative) fence. I don't agree with him on the amnesty part, but in the interest of political negotiation, I would accept his plan.