Rants & Raves

KUDOS TO RICHMOND County employees Jennifer, Becky and Michelle at the Greene Street location and Debbi at the Judicial Center. We recently visited both locations, changing names on some property we own. Every one of these employees made us feel welcome, took time to explain procedures and generally left us with the feeling that our government employees care deeply about us and don’t see us as an interruption. Thank you all for making the process so enjoyable.

A RANT FOR THE Board of Health on Windsor Spring Road. I realize this is a new year. But why do they have the doors open at noon if the nurses and everyone are gone to lunch? My daughter and I arrived at 12:06 p.m. and sat there in the lobby until 1 p.m. just trying to obtain information about out-of-country immunizations. At 1 p.m. we were directed to the other location. I guess the trip wasn’t all bad; the police officer and the lady at window 1 were real helpful. Thanks

INSTEAD OF MOVING the GreenJackets to North Augusta, can we just send Deke Copenhaver across the river instead? He’s been a major disappointment as mayor.

HATS OFF TO THE MACH Academy! You are to be admired for what your students are achieving in this learning environment!

WITH PAINE COLLEGE being private, how can they be eligible to receive money from the special purpose local option sales tax fund toward the construction of the new Health Education Activities Learning Complex?

JOHN BOEHNER SEEMS seems to be severely challenged lately. Maybe the new Republicans can get it straight this time. I wish them the best.

CONSERVATIVES IN THE U.S. Congress are badly in need of a Winston Churchill to take the lead in the battle against the Democratic Marxists. Instead, we get Neville Chamberlain.

DON’T BLAME, BUT praise the Augusta Commission for not
OK’ing a new ballpark on top of the TEE and parking deck. There is not enough money for priority items now. Let’s get some roads fixed, give the employees some raises. Then, when the millionaires can come together to flow in money, we can pay for luxuries.

THANKS FOR THE update on Five Guys for the south side! What other restaurants are out there? Maybe I can visit that side of the city again.

Comments (85)

GGpap
GGpap 01/28/13 - 08:38 pm

CONSERVATIVES IN THE U.S. Congress are badly in need.....

Yep, it'll take a fat man smoking a big cigar and, like a few others posting on these threads, just blowin' in the wind.........

You might remember that it finally took the real Marxists, by themselves, to get rid of the old school Marxists in Russia.

GGpap

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 01/28/13 - 08:44 pm

"Kudos to Richmond County

... employees Jennifer, Becky and Michelle..." To bad you named them, poster, as they'll probably be shown the door for not meeting the county's employee behaviour standards of being lazy, surly, and impolite.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 01/28/13 - 08:51 pm

"... how can they (Paine College) be eligible to receive money

... from the special purpose local option sales tax...?"

If you were to ask, you might get the following in response: 1-They need it to replace what was embezzled. 2- It's a historically black college and you owe them this by way of reparation. 3- You're a racist for asking.

countyman
countyman 01/28/13 - 09:31 pm

#3.... Think about the construction during 2006-2012

#3.... The upcoming announcements in the year 2013 will end up surprising many people.

Private= $20 million Sheraton, $100 million Kroc Center, $172 million Starbucks, $40 million ADP, $30 million T-Mobile, $115 million Rockwood, ESI headquarters, $20 million Costco, Augusta mall 200k sq. ft. expansion, Carmax, etc.

Public= $70 million Judicial Center, $76 Medical Commons/$112 million dental school on the Gilbert Manor Property, $40 million TEE Center, $20 million library, $12 million Sheriffs office, $1 million Marshall office etc

I mean the Augusta Exchange area by itself is booming(Medac expansion 70 jobs, Home 2 Suites by Hilton, Savannah River Banking subdivision, Residence Inn by Marriott, Tin Drum Asia Cafe, Tutti Frutti expansion, Dunkin Donuts/Which Wich, future development behind Buffalo Wild Wings, etc).

countyman
countyman 01/28/13 - 09:44 pm

South Augusta above many places in the CSRA

#9... You're welcome, and South Augusta is only trailing West Augusta(leader of the CSRA), Aiken, and Evans... The options include Ryans, Applebees, Cici's Pizza, Sconyers, Veracruz, Five Guys, Villa Europa, Wife Saver, and the multiple fast food/chinese/fish places.

Speaking of new updates, I can already think of two MAJOR private investments coming to East Augusta and West Augusta.

1. The 45,000 sq. ft. skilled nursing facility on Pleasant Home road.

2. Hagler Systems purchasing a 64,000 sq. ft. property in East Augusta. Then adding 58,000 sq. ft. of industrial space, and 23k sq. ft. office space.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/28/13 - 09:48 pm

Hey, Countyman finally said

Hey, Countyman finally said the TEE Center costs $40 million. Heck, he should have bragged about the $50 million payoff going to Laney Walker, too, since Harvard thinks it's delightful.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/28/13 - 09:50 pm

I can think of things that

I can think of things that are coming because I'm in the know, but I'm not telling. I know stuff. Y'all don't.

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/28/13 - 10:17 pm

Pretty sad

"The options include Ryans, Applebees, Cici's Pizza, Sconyers, Veracruz, Five Guys, Villa Europa, Wife Saver, and the multiple fast food/chinese/fish places." Cici's pizza? Five Guys? I mean I love Wife Saver as much as the next guy but..................

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/28/13 - 10:31 pm

I liked the "fish places."

I liked the "fish places."

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/28/13 - 10:35 pm

Pro Bowl

River, how about that Pro Bowl?

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/28/13 - 10:40 pm

JTF

I liked the guy showing his smashed finger and saying, "See, Mr. Commissioner, we're playing hard."

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/28/13 - 10:47 pm

Commissioner

Think Roger has a few body guards around him in New Orleans?

InChristLove
21972
InChristLove 01/28/13 - 11:22 pm

"The options include Ryans,

I thought Cici's Pizza in the shopping center at Windsor Spring and Peach Orchard closed.....did they open at another location?

countyman
countyman 01/29/13 - 12:01 am

Justthefacts... Can you

Justthefacts... Can you explain why those options are considered sad? Can you please tell me about the fine dining choices in Harlem, Grovetown, Martinez, North Augusta, Graniteville, etc?

None of those areas can even offer Applebees to their residents. I think some leaders in Grovetown tried to take credit for the new Steak & Shake, but it's nowhere near the actually city limits of Grovetown. The address of the restaurant is Augusta, and it's really located closer to West Augusta or Martinez compared to Grovetown.

InChristlove. I think Cici's did close, and we can replace them with T's on Mike Padgett/Hwy 56..

InChristLove
21972
InChristLove 01/29/13 - 07:21 am

Fine by me countyman. T's is

Fine by me countyman. T's is an excellent place to eat but a little on the high price side for my taste. Other than excellent one of a kind hush puppies, I can get just as good of seafood at Harbor Inn or Capt. D's. Give me some fried shrimp and I'm good to go.

As for my question concerning Cici's, just thought maybe they had opened up at another location I wasn't aware of. Great place to take kids to eat and doesn't break the bank to feed your family.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/29/13 - 08:44 am

Fish

The fish at T's is cooked well. But don't order fried shrimp. They use boxed, frozen-breaded shrimp. It's institutional and it is mediocre. Just order the catfish and you'll be okay.

Willow Bailey
20255
Willow Bailey 01/29/13 - 08:51 am

All fast food is sad,

All fast food is sad, countyman.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 01/29/13 - 08:52 am

Countyman - Cici's Pizza Southside?

I though they closed up in 2010 and Martinez was the next closest location?

Please tell me they are coming back and where.

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/29/13 - 09:02 am

Countyman

It is sad because as great as the CSRA is, there is no where, unless you are a member at the ACC, except maybe Craig Calvert's place, where you can go for fine dining. I don't understand that. It wasn't always like that. The Town Tavern ( people drove from Atl to eat there), The Continental, The Thunderbird, The Green Jacket ( Daniel Village, not Wash Rd.). Those were all fine restaurants. What happened? The places you mentioned, with the exception of Villa Europa, are all lunch destinations. There is nothing wrong with that. But, when you take the mrs out on your 20th, are you going to say, "Hey Honey, put on your new spanks, that cute little black dress, those new pumps, the pearls I gave you on our 5th, the diamond studs I gave you on our 10th, and the tennis bracelet D.T. (Donnie Thompson) at Windsor may me buy you on our 15th. We going to the new 5 Guys and Fries in South Augusta!!

Willow Bailey
20255
Willow Bailey 01/29/13 - 09:03 am

And T's and CiCi's have

And T's and CiCi's have absolutely Zero in common other than a cash register.

Willow Bailey
20255
Willow Bailey 01/29/13 - 09:28 am

Here's a little help for you

Here's a little help for you JTF.
Calverts, Bistro 491, Frog Hollow Tavern & La Maison.

If you really want to score (big points) skip Augusta and take her to Charleston.

Willow Bailey
20255
Willow Bailey 01/29/13 - 09:28 am

And psst...just one more

And psst...just one more thing...she needs some David Yurman.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 01/29/13 - 09:45 am

Hey willow

Being from Charleston myself one thing I miss here is good fresh seafood.
I used to give history tours and I can't tell you how many times visitors would ask me where the Red Lobster was or if we had one.
I mean you're in a city with amazing local fresh seafood and you want to go to Red Lobster where you're going to get the same fare that you could get in Omaha Nebraska? My goodness!
I mean Red Lobster is good but it's not right off the boat unfrozen food.
Just ask Riverman. He's a Charleston boy too!

Willow Bailey
20255
Willow Bailey 01/29/13 - 09:54 am

shrimp, I've gone to a lot of

shrimp, I've gone to a lot of places, but there's nothing I love more than Charleston. I'm planning a trip to Martha's Vineyard this year, so I'll let you know how that turns out.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 01/29/13 - 10:08 am

I keep asking

Why do we need a Mayor's position?

It seems The Administrator and the ARC Commissioners pretty much do everything.

Given all the overhead,(staff, phones, office, expenses and etc..)
ARC would likely save $500+k a year without the position.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/29/13 - 10:22 am

Shrimp, yup, Chalston...my

Shrimp, yup, Chalston...my beautiful hometown. Yeah, Willow, I know the spelling, but that's how we say it. Shrimp, what amazes me is how it was nothing like it is today when we were growing up. I always have hope for Augusta when I think of how Chalston came from nowhere to be what it is today.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/29/13 - 10:26 am

Open Curtain, we need a mayor

Open Curtain, we need a mayor because it's good for some people with lots of money and little to do to be called mayor. We should make it like the naming rights to a major league stadium and let it have your name for a couple of years if you pay the money. That's essentially what happens anyway.

InChristLove
21972
InChristLove 01/29/13 - 10:26 am

Dang, all this talk about

Dang, all this talk about seafood makes me long for my Aunt from Maryland, crabcakes! Oh my gosh, talk about make your tongue slap your face....Good!

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/29/13 - 10:38 am
Willow Bailey
20255
Willow Bailey 01/29/13 - 10:43 am

ICL, the best local crabcakes

ICL, the best local crabcakes served here, are at Bonefish. Get their appetizer (two of them) and add a salad. All of their salads are good, but their Beet is one of my favorites. They serve it all with a nice portion of their famous hotbread and olive oil dip.