Rants & Raves

Comments from readers.

RAVES TO The Augusta Chronicle for the separate Opinion section in the Sunday paper. The first thing I do is pull that section out and throw it away. Makes the rest of the paper a pleasant read.

I SEE THAT OUR “Save the A” signs saved Azziz’s A! What a Grusome ending.

RAVE FOR THE awesome Sam Bush concert at the Imperial Theatre. A rant to the attendees who consistently chatted throughout the entire performance. How rude of Sam Bush to perform over your conversation.

THIS IS ABOUT the SUV from Augusta Regional Airport. The speed limit on Bobby Jones Expressway is 55, 45 in the work zones. Maybe you need to start early so you don’t have to drive 70 mph and get off other drivers’ bumpers.

WHY DO I OWN AN assault weapon? Do I need it to hunt? No. Do I need it for any reason? No. I own it because I am a free man and can, to the lefties, no apologies for being free and having rights.

FREEDOM FROM tyrannical government is the reason for the Second Amendment; that is, so free citizens can stay free by being armed so they can fend off such governments, Therefore, obviously citizens are guaranteed the right to arm themselves.

YOU CAN SEE what can be achieved when people get together. Oxygen Media has canceled plans for the reality show titled All My Babies’ Mamas when a petition calling for its shutdown had collected more than 37,000 signatures. We don’t need this trash on television.

A BIG RAVE FOR Wal-Mart and the plan to hire 100,000 veterans over the next five years. The announcement alone should give a psychological boost to those who are on active duty right now. Let’s hope that other companies will follow their lead.

WHY DOES THE air in Augusta smell so horrible? I have heard various excuses, but none of them can explain the extraordinary stench in Augusta. I grew up in a town with a paper mill, and it never stunk this bad. I imagine this is a major reason why people and businesses do not locate on the south side. No one is going to want to go to a convention in a city that stinks this bad.

WHERE IS “Augusta” in the GRU logo behind the speaker at the forum? If we can’t display “Augusta” in our hometown, where else do we dream it will be used?

Fools_and_sages
Fools_and_sages 01/21/13 - 08:17 pm
Walmart

Yes. Let's applaud Walmart for being willing to hire veterans because every verteran wants a minimum wage job at 20 hours a week without health insurance. Somehow, I think our veterans need and deserve better.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 01/21/13 - 09:30 pm
"If we can’t display 'Augusta'

... in our hometown, where else do we dream it will be used?"

Well, the Augusta part is in water colour on the sign, so I'm guessing so as not to make it difficult to erase when all the medical college has been moved to Athens, leaving an overgrown, underperforming, community college here. Athens is cool.

Ask the Z-Lord.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 01/21/13 - 09:33 pm
RAVES TO The Augusta Chronicle for the separate Opinion

... section in the Sunday paper. The first thing I do is pull that section out and throw it away. Makes the rest of the paper a pleasant read."

Yet you feel okay to inflict your illogical non-sequitur views on the readers in this forum?

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 01/21/13 - 09:37 pm
"WHY DO I OWN AN assault weapon?"

I wish I could afford one; the fees for a true assault weapon are prohibitive. Or do you live in Grovetown, where an assault weapon may be a BB gun, according to our little Reich on the Savannah?

single parent
single parent 01/21/13 - 09:43 pm
FREEDOM FROM tyrannical government

Which Government is that, the one where you can dial 911 when someone breaks in your house, the one where you can go to the emergency room because you have a head cold, the one that has air defense to keep an A bomb from dropping on your lawn, the one where you can go to the mall shopping for clothes you will never wear or the one that allows you to type that ridiculous spoiled statement? Or is it the one that beats a baby girl on a rock because it is a girl, or the one that sells that 12 year old girl to a nieghboring tribe, the one that mass buries a village because of their religion or the one that allows you to have ADT to curse out when a false alarm occurs at your house? ( Mind you we were once at that point of idiots not more than 30 years ago and do not forget a whole race was darn near exterminated years before that that completely ignored ammendments) Now tell me which government you are talking about?
We the spoiled people over some mass injury articles, trust me it AIN'T that serious, until it is made that serious. So far I do not see little Timmy next door plotting to take over my cookie jar! Rant about something that really matters, like I don't know, the frigging air we are breathing or lack there of! ! ! !

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 01/21/13 - 09:44 pm
"We may need gun control - for Democrats"

Although every time one of these incidents that trigger demands for more gun control happens, the liberal propaganda machine goes into overdrive to label the shooter 'conservative,' the facts are:

Ft Hood~~~ Registered Democrat ~ Muslim

Columbine ~~~ Too young to vote; both families were registered
Democrats and progressive liberals

Virginia Tech ~~~ Wrote hate mail to President Bush and to his staff ~
Registered Democrat

Colorado Theater ~~~ Registered Democrat; staff worker on the Obama campaign; Occupy Wall Street participant; progressive liberal

Connecticut School Shooter- ~~~ Registered Democrat; hated Christians.

Perhaps a national registry for background checks listing party affiliation as well, to keep guns out of liberal hands?

KSL
KSL 01/21/13 - 10:25 pm
d

You have nailed it again! Too funny.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/21/13 - 11:18 pm
Things to rant about

SingleParent let Ranter #6 get under his/her skin about tyrannical government, then told Ranter #6:

What SingleParent didn't remember was that Ranter #9 already ranted about the air.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/21/13 - 11:19 pm
Facts are stubborn things

Don't confuse liberals with the facts, dstewart.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/22/13 - 12:05 am
This Week

Tomorrow and Wednesday will be dangerous days at the Marble Palace. The will have committee meetings. Will Fred (What, me worry?) Russell be able to twist enough commissioners’ arms and put the pedestrian bridge back on next week's commission agenda? Let's hope not. The commission has failed to pass it twice.

There ought to be a rule that does not allow a question to keep coming up if they fail to pass it.

dichotomy
dichotomy 01/22/13 - 12:12 am
LL....."Will Fred (What, me

LL....."Will Fred (What, me worry?) Russell be able to twist enough commissioners’ arms and put the pedestrian bridge back on next week's commission agenda?"

Probably.....with Fred's history he will get it back on the agenda and then claim he has magically found another $1 million that he had stashed in a desk drawer somewhere to pay for it. No problem folks, Fred will have it covered. Later on this year he will be crying that we need a big raise in property taxes.

dichotomy
dichotomy 01/22/13 - 01:22 am
single parent....."Which

single parent....."Which Government is that, the one where you can dial 911 when someone breaks in your house"

Yep.....the one where you can dial 911 and they will show up 20 minutes after you...and maybe your family....are dead.

And yes, TYRANNICAL government. Like the one we have now. One that uses taxes, midnight legislation, and executive orders to try to beat us into the mold they want us all to be. Submissive taxpayers who are being dictated to or taxed into submission on what we drive, what we eat, what kind of guns we can have, what kind of healthcare we get, what we smoke...unless it's dope, now that's okay but cigarettes are bad.

Yes...tyrannical, intrusive, over reaching government. Yes, I need my weapons. The time is coming. Maybe not before I die but then my son will have my weapons when the time comes. And it will come if we continue this crazy spending, unfair taxation, and intrusion into personal decisions for political and politically correct reasons. And it won't be the gun owners that revolt. It will be the gimmee types that start the burning and looting when the well runs dry and their Obamaphones get turned off. They will be trying to overthrow society and steal and loot from the people who have been supporting them for years.

The guns will be for me and my family to protect ourselves from the culture the tyrannical government has created because they will be the ones in revolt when the well runs dry. You think the Los Angeles riots or the aftermath of Katrina was bad? You ain't seen nothing until the Obamphones go dead and the EBT cards don't get refilled. Then there will be incidents. The good guys taking out looters, etc. Then the tyrannical government will try and pull a New Orleans PD/National Guard confiscation of weapons. THAT is when the war will start.

And why do I need "an arsenal"? A very good reason. IF I by chance do get put in an unexpected situation where they confiscate the guns I am carrying I want to make sure I've got plenty of them stashed in several locations so that if I lose one, I've got more if I need them. I know we already have a tyrannical government and I DON'T TRUST IT. I've seen their first reaction after Katrina to seize guns from legal, lawful gun owners and I NO LONGER TRUST THE GOVERNMENT OR THE POLICE. I've seen their total lack of ability to protect innocent bystanders during the Los Angeles riots and I NO LONGER HAVE FAITH IN THE GOVERNMENT OR THE POLICE. I am a realist who has seen from recent history that during civil unrest YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN and, in fact, the GOVERNMENT MAY BE AGAINST YOU.

To paraphrase that famous line about Santa Claus....Yes single parent, there is a tyrannical government. It lies just below the surface of what we see everyday, ready to raise it's ugly head the first time it's citizens stand up to protect themselves and their rights.

carcraft
carcraft 01/22/13 - 07:10 am
dichotomy- Don't waste your

dichotomy- Don't waste your ink! The looney liberal left is just nuts and won't hear it. Take little Chuckie Schumer. Calls the NRA a RADICLE FRINGE GROUP. Did little brain dead Chuckie know that the NRA supports Democrats? You know, like the fellow John Barrow, a Democrat, who won't let his guns be taken!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/22/13 - 07:14 am
seenitB4
seenitB4 01/22/13 - 07:18 am
They have had enough....says mayor

Mike Davis, the mayor of Dunwoody, just wants out.

Davis said he believes nearly all Dunwoody residents want to separate from the DeKalb school system, and it’s something his city council is openly discussing. They are likely to ask state lawmakers in January for a measure — probably involving an amendment to the state constitution — that would let cities without school systems create their own.

“I think the system is too big, too corrupt,” Davis said of DeKalb. “Are we disappointed? Yes. Are we disgusted? Yes.”

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 01/22/13 - 07:22 am
I have owned several A-## weapons traded them off

because I never really considered them enjoyable or practical in my rural setting.

12ga Shotguns loaded with rifled slugs or home defense loaded 00, pistols, and long range rifles of common calibers fill my all needs.

BUT I, like many fully understand the bigger issue here.
Give the Fed's any hole in the 2nd Amendment and in 10-20 years there will not be a 2nd amendment.

Can you tell me the last time when any US level of government got and inch and did not keep coming back for the rest of the mile?

Because I can provide a factual list of the times, that the citizens were told trust us, this is all we want.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/22/13 - 07:22 am
r/r said....

wowwee...just 11 kids with 10 different women....what a crock.....that is what happens today...it is called YOU PLAY & WE PAY.....

yeh we need guns ......just to protect ourselves from dum dums..

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/22/13 - 07:26 am
Big Rave for Walmart...ditto

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/22/13 - 07:27 am
Question for countyman....why

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 01/22/13 - 07:53 am
Please people...

study your history. The 2nd amendment was included in the bill of rights to prevent the government from being the only one with firearms. Sorry progressives, facts is facts. Proven by single parent. When the government reaches the point that it controls every facet of your life and decides that the decision of going to church or not going to church should be met lethal force, who ya gonna call??? Ghostbusters or your neighbor who has a means to protect you?

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/22/13 - 07:57 am
Clint says...

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
Clint Eastwood

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/22/13 - 08:01 am
Founding Fathers say...

A free people ought to be armed."
- George Washington

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
- Thomas Jefferson

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
- Thomas Jefferson

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 01/22/13 - 08:02 am
I just checked. My pistols

I just checked. My pistols are still in the drawer and fully loaded. Funny how after all these years they haven't gotten out and shot anybody. You wanna know why??? I control my guns. That is the definition of gun control.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 01/22/13 - 08:03 am
BTW

CG and I are still at it!!!

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 01/22/13 - 08:06 am
Excellent Seenit

You saved me the trouble of looking up those quotes. And if you want to know why seenit and I among many others know those quotes exist, it's a simple answer. We studied the history of this formerly great nation.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/22/13 - 08:18 am
Still at it heh..lol

Yeh...& I hope yall never change......some won't know what hit them til they no longer have their freedoms....just an inch at the time over & over & then it disappears.....

Just read what happened to the Loganville mother in her own home....she sees a man outside wandering around her house---she takes her 2 kids upstairs & hides behind a closet door---he breaks in with a crowbar & makes it upstairs to her hideout---she shoots him 5 times & he stills makes it to the car & drives away a short distance....without that gun she could have been beaten to death with crowbar & some say she was trigger happy...WHAT IDIOTS to say that....THAT is the reason we need to protect ourselves....WAKEUP folks.....without protection this would happen daily in many areas of town....

junkyardpig
junkyardpig 01/22/13 - 08:33 am
welcome to augusta, the garden city

welcome to the garden city. you fly into bush field and are greeted by international paper on one side and the waste water treatment plant on the other and of course a nasty air odor to boot. again, welcome to the garden city of augusta

carcraft
carcraft 01/22/13 - 08:39 am
NOte the lady shot the guy 5,

NOte the lady shot the guy 5, FIVE, REPEAT FIVE time and he still walked oout. In New York Coumo said you don't need high capacity mags.. If there had been more than one person she probably would have been dead!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/22/13 - 08:45 am
It appears that "single

It appears that "single parent" thinks you have to wait until your government becomes tyrannical before you should arm yourself. Isn't that sort of like trying to get auto insurance after you have an accident. It's a bit too late at that point.

UGA jumps up in 2 polls

The University of Georgia made the second-biggest jump of all the teams in the two national ranking polls, both of which were released Tuesday.