Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

A BIG RAVE TO ALL Fifth Third Bank Peach Orchard Road branch employees. You’re the best of the best!

RAVES FOR Britney at Car­rabba’s. My birthday and she made it special. Great service and wonderful sense of humor.

RANTS TO COMCAST FOR playing games with On Demand. It has been off since October. Not even the tech supervisors had a clue who to send out. Then several techs said maintenance and I kept on ‘til Dave came and took over the problem. In one day he found out it was an engineering problem and got it fixed. Raves to Dave ... You are the best! Paul and Floyd need to be a little more sensitive to customer needs and follow up after the fifth or sixth visits to same address for same problem.

HUGE RANT to Georgia Power. I find it extremely disturbing that the nuclear reactor that is on its way here was manufactured in South Korea. There are already concerns out there about inferior steel coming from that part of the world. But to buy a nuclear reactor that was made anywhere but here is insanity.

SEN. SAXBY CHAMBLISS writes, “I believe that the ability of sportsmen, hunters, gun enthusiasts and citizens concerned with their personal safety to own a gun, whether for sport or protection, is clearly defined in the Constitution and must not be compromised.” Cha­m­bliss completely ignores the main reason for the 2nd Amendment, that being to keep citizens armed so government will be afraid to destroy freedom by grabbing total power. Be careful of Chambliss.

AN ENTITLEMENT IS a right to something, not a gift. You have a right to Medi­care, but if you got back what you paid into the program, you would only be entitled to one-third of the cost of care you would be eligible to receive. So it is a fact that Medicare is also one of those government welfare programs.

THE ARTICLE “Report warns climate issues hurt economy” will probably be the next reason used by Obama to explain the faltering economy. He has ridden the Bush excuse too long. Now has to launch a new theme.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/20/13 - 08:41 pm
Chambliss

Saxby is part of the problem. He has endorsed and promoted some of the spending (unfunded) that has us in dire straits now. To say he is a snake in the grass is too generous; he needs to go and we will be remiss if he isn't booted.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/20/13 - 08:45 pm
Entitlements

They are ALL welfare programs. Though you pay in, most will withdraw many multiples of that, which is a GIMME! Rarely could one invest to get the total return many will get from SS and Medicare.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/20/13 - 08:48 pm
Amen to the last ranter. It

Amen to the last ranter. It is 4 years post Bush, so that horse is tired. What will he blame future failures on? Oh, I know. The nasty Republicans who won't give him Carte Blanche to finish off America as we know it.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 01/20/13 - 11:15 pm
"Be careful of Chambliss."

He has no idea what the Second Amendment; that troublesome, totally inapplicable to the modern state afterthought of no consequence to an infinitely mutable, "constantly evolving" and outdated document like our Constitution has to say.

Or he does- and like his slithering peers wishes to overturn it.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 01/20/13 - 11:22 pm
Entitlements

... were like group insurance; with a large pool of working and well supporting them, they would have been funded until the next century. That is, until a Democratic Congress, needed to fund programs to seek out and reward the least deserving of our nation. Then it was poured down the rathole of subsidizing illegitimacy and a leisurely lifestyle for a political base.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 01/21/13 - 07:58 am
I just realized

that starting today the Emperor CAN blame most of our countries problems on the leadership of the last 4 years.

RoadkiII

どちらこれは我々が持っていた最悪の米大統領であるか、それは彼の計画によると起こっている。

署名された
オープン幕

Fools_and_sages
Fools_and_sages 01/21/13 - 09:18 am
Jeep

Yes, Jeeps will be made in China. However, the "Romney Lie" came when he said the jobs created in China would result from out-sourcing American jobs and laying off American workers by closing American Jeep factories. In fact, in the immediate aftermath of Romney's statements, Fiat Crop said they WILL NOT BE CLOSING any Jeep plants in North America. Fiat Corp said the plants in China will be built and staffed by Chinese to satisfy demand for Jeep products in Asia. I will concede that Fiat could have created more American jobs by ramping up Jeep production in the US and shipping vehicles to Asia. However, at least American jobs won't be lost in this corporate overseas expansion.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/21/13 - 09:32 am
^ wise guys

Husband takes the wife to a disco.

There's a guy on the dance floor giving it large - break dancing, moon-walking, back flips, the works. The wife turns to her husband and says: "See that guy? 25 years ago he proposed to me and I turned him down."
Husband says: "Looks like he's still celebrating!!!

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 01/21/13 - 09:48 am
Doesn't anyone in Authority have common sense anymore?

So her psych evaluation came back normal, what about the idiot that ordered it???

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/21/13 - 09:53 am
Good Morning RIP America

In 4 years the Lord King SMNCICBHO, the Hammer & Sickle Man dug one large grave for America. He now has 4 more years to fill up the grave with dirt.

I just wonder what Head Stone he will place at the head of America with an Executive Order??

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/21/13 - 09:57 am
CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/21/13 - 10:07 am
Here's Something

that you probably don't realize. Your now leader is taking away our rights (Guns)to protect himself/government and at the same time has access to the worlds most Top Secret information.

Just think, if a back ground check was made on him with his known past history, he could not even past for a CWP an differently never have access to any classified information.

We are one stupid bunch of humans.......

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/21/13 - 10:31 am
Read this story please

Details emerge in slaying, dismemberment

Now can someone tell me why we are emptying the mental hospitals......
They are needed now just as much as they were 10 years ago.....the nuts didn't go away...they just buy guns now & terrorize the folks around them...we are NOT saving $$$.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/21/13 - 10:42 am
Now...let us be happy & celebrate

James Brown...Living in America....wow...get with the program RK & Cgee....dance the day away....don't make me come after you two.....happy happy faces...lol

talk toya later......♥

single parent
single parent 01/21/13 - 10:46 am
Here is an Idea

I would love for some of the same commenters to run for office, I would support you with cash and vote for you just to see exactlly what you would/could do to change AMERICA: at the same time I would love to see most of you go live in Iraq or Zimbobwa where there are no spoiled citizen rights, a WalMArt on every corner, Mail coming to your mail box, able to type in a forum behind cover, a woman with rights, for that matter have an open opinion! So some things are best left unsaid because true colors are hard to change once they have been seen!
Then I want you see how it is to duck the ones that have unregulated gun control, you know where 10 year olds have their own out in the open Army, not some stealthy gang that gets treated like royalty when arrested and get turned back onto the streets because they are so called youths. Yes you have the right to bare arms and you have the right to drink but you do not have the right to drink and drive, get the point.
I own assault weapons and have since I was a kid, because my Dad was an instructor/Army shooting team member. But most want them for cruel intent or some rise up that is self created.
Bottom line is we the PEOPLE have done this to our own selves. Personally I can deal with a few misguided rules and regulations, but when it is self interest driven NOPE.

literallyamerican
literallyamerican 01/21/13 - 11:14 am
hes not the prez i chose

Pray for that man (President). Pray for his wife and his children. Bless them with your words. Vote for your candidate, plead for your causes, and take action on the things that matter to you. Be proactive. But tearing down the man with your words does not change a thing, except the condition inside of your own heart.

One last thought. Even if all the decisions that our president influences are bad for America, it still does not change the fact that God sits on His throne. We should be weary of “doom and gloom prophecy” spoken over our country in fear

harley_52
22064
harley_52 01/21/13 - 11:15 am
Social Security.

IAD....Re: your comment at 7:45 PM.

Those on the left are doing their damnedest to convince everybody that people drawing Social Security and Medicare are just as "guilty" of depending on "entitlements" as are those using Obamaphones, using food stamps, and living off the other various types of social welfare payments. I'm not falling into that trap. It is NOT the same. I spent my life working and contributing to those programs.

Whether I will live long enough to get more back than I paid in is NOT the issue. I'm sure you are familiar with the terms "present value" and "compounding" which, as a practical matter, should be employed in any discussion comparing what one receives as benefits derived from a lifetime of monthly investments. It is unrealistic, inappropriate, and misleading to simply sum the totals of monthly investments to an estimated (and usually not inflation adjusted) total of benefit payments and conclude the recipients are "just like welfare recipients." I am NOT saying that's what YOU are doing, but it's what the government does.

The Federal government has corrupted, mismanaged, embezzled, and otherwise screwed up the Social Security program to the point where it may not be fixable. George W. Bush tried, but the liberals refused to participate. They didn't want Social Security Reform to happen on a Republican President's watch. They (as usual) want an issue....not a solution.

You may have heard that the city employees of Galveston Texas were allowed to opt out of the Social Security program about forty years ago and form their own retirement program. You can read the story here...

harley_52
22064
harley_52 01/21/13 - 11:27 am
"We should be weary of “doom and gloom prophecy” ....

....spoken over our country in fear."

I agree. But it is a mistake to confuse "doom and gloom prophecy" with conscientious citizenship.

We should support and celebrate efforts to maintain our freedoms and to insist government adhere to the words written in our founding documents and embodied in the laws of the land.

We should recognize that millions of American citizens have fought and died in support of those freedoms and foundational documents and that it is now up to us to preserve our birthright for our children, grandchildren, and for their grandchildren.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 01/21/13 - 11:32 am
Seenit.....

if we keep at it do you promise to come get us?

literallyamerican
literallyamerican 01/21/13 - 11:34 am
Assault Weapons

I don't have a problem at all with responsible people owning a gun. I mean that is one of our rights...
I just have to ask (because I don't know honestly)
Why in the world do you need an arsenal of assault weapons...cant be for hunting...???
Those are made for one of two things...just plain fun shooting stuff on your property and tearing human flesh to pieces..
Still...I have no problem with whoever wants them having them....just wonder why?

literallyamerican
literallyamerican 01/21/13 - 11:36 am
@harley

you are absolutely right!! :)

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/21/13 - 12:08 pm
Yeh RKill

Hhahha
When I come "git" you I will put a big sloppy kiss on ya (if she lets me) give you & Cgee a bear hugg...& buy your lunch/drinks...soooo don't make me come do THAT!!

gotta go see some folks today....catch up later baby...

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 01/21/13 - 12:12 pm
One More Time

A military 5.56 equals a civilian .223 round. In fact all military small arms are built on CIVILIAN rounds. Example, a Ruger Ranch Rifle fires the exact same round as the M-16. There has been so much misinformation (lies) put out but the anti gun lobby most people don't have any idea what the truth is.

One more thing, if gun owners were as violent as the anti gun lobby wants you to believe do you think there would be any anti gunners alive?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/21/13 - 12:20 pm
You are correct

You are correct Roadkill....They often call the AR-15 a "weapon of war." If that was true, then why does NO ARMY ON EARTH use an AR-15? Sure sounds good to the misinformed.

harley_52
22064
harley_52 01/21/13 - 12:26 pm
"Why in the world do you need an arsenal of assault weapons....

....cant be for hunting...???"

First of all, the word "hunting" does not appear in the Second Amendment. It's a red herring. Maybe I own guns for target shooting. Maybe I bought them because I want to protect myself and my family from bad guys, either private citizen, or government thugs. Maybe I want them as an investment. Maybe I simply enjoy fondling them and cleaning them. Maybe I inherited them from my father and I want to pass them down to my children too. Don't fall into this "hunting" trap that's been set by the liberals. It leads you down the wrong path.

Second, the term "assault weapons" is also a red herring. It's only used to confuse the issue and mislead the public into believing "assault weapons" possess special, horrible, evil characteristics. Whether any weapon is an "assault" weapon depends entirely upon whether or not it is used to "assault" somebody. Any weapon can be an "assault" weapon, if used to assault. The term is used by politicians to scare the bejesus out of people and confuse them. That's its only purpose.

Now, the subject of "need." The Constitution doesn't say anything about "need." Who gets to determine what kind of, and how many, guns I "need?" Does the government decide what kind of car I need? House? Golf clubs? Lawn mowers? What if the government decides I don't NEED a car that can go 100 MPH? Golf clubs that cost over $100?

How many bullets do I "need?" The answer is "as many as it takes." If a thug kicks in my door at 3:00 AM, I want to have as many bullets as it takes to protect my family. What if seven, or ten, isn't enough? I don't want the government making me and my family victims simply because some liberal in government wants to pursue the agenda to disarm the citizenry one bullet at a time.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/21/13 - 12:28 pm
Bare

SingleParent posted:

Yes, you have the right to bare arms and you have the right to drink but you do not have the right to drink and drive, get the point?

Yes, we have the right to bare arms, and also to bare legs. But we do not have the right to bare bottoms or to bare female breasts in public. I think that is the point.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/21/13 - 12:31 pm
Drinking and driving puts

Drinking and driving puts other's in danger. My owning arms puts no one in danger......unless they try to put me in danger.

harley_52
22064
harley_52 01/21/13 - 01:20 pm
"But we do not have the right to bare bottoms...

....or to bare female breasts in public."

More's the pity, some would say.