Missing man with dementia found

Deryl Duane Owens, 77, a dementia patient who went missing Saturday, was found safe Sunday.

Back | Next
Deryl Duane Owens, 77, was last heard from as he was driving on Interstate 20 on Saturday morning.   Special
Special

According to the Richmond County Sheriff's Office, Owens was found by an off-duty firefighter in LaGrange, Ga., and officials there were working with the family to return him to Augusta.

The Richmond County Sheriff’s Office asked the public for help Saturday in finding the 77-year-old man, who suffers from frontal lobe dementia, which is similar to Alz­heimer’s disease.

The last contact with Owens on Saturday was by phone, when he said he was traveling west on Interstate 20. LaGrange is about 200 miles west of Augusta, near the Alabama state line, about 45 miles north of Columbus.

KSL
KSL 01/19/13 - 09:18 pm
Hope they find him. Doesn't

Hope they find him. Doesn't sound like he should have access to a vehicle any more.

Newsflash
1925
Newsflash 01/19/13 - 10:32 pm
Praying for this gentleman.......

Praying for this gentleman. Hope he comes upon someone willing to call L .E. or family. In this day and age it would not be hard to fall into the wrong hands. Hope we can get him back to his family.

dichotomy
dichotomy 01/19/13 - 11:29 pm
I used to work with Deryl and

I used to work with Deryl and also knew him as a fellow ham radio operator. He is a fine person and always a gentleman. I sure hope he is okay and that they locate him quickly.

SBattle
SBattle 01/20/13 - 10:13 am
We were in the process of

We were in the process of taking his keys away from him. It's been extremely hard. We never thought this would happen. Yes, it's our fault we didn't take them away faster. I'm just praying we find my Grandpa and he's safe. Once we find him, the keys will be instantly taken away, but right now all we care about is that he's alive and he's safe.

SBattle
SBattle 01/20/13 - 11:28 am
He's been found in Columbus,

He's been found in Columbus, GA!

etlinks
22039
etlinks 01/20/13 - 11:45 am
Good news SBattle!

Good news SBattle!

Tots
Tots 01/20/13 - 03:03 pm
SBattle,

Great news on your grandpa being found..God bless all of you.

SBattle
SBattle 01/20/13 - 10:28 pm
I just want to state, I know

I just want to state, I know people wonder why we let him have his keys. We we're trying to make a time to get together to sit down discuss why we had to take them away and try to not upset him because driving meant a lot to my Grandpa. I know there's people on other sites criticizing us for being horrible family members. We've all admitted we messed up. After going through this, anyone that has a loved one with dementia or Alzheimer's, do not hesitate to take action. We went through 24+ hours of fear that he would get hurt, or someone would get hurt because of him. No one needs to sit around waiting to know if their loved one is alive or not. No one needs to experience what we did. It was all our fault, and I will reiterate we know this. Don't judge my family for our mistakes. We learned something new, and I hope what we learned helps others out there in similar situations.