Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

IF THE AUGUSTA Recycling Plant is making so much money, shouldn’t they be paying me for my recyclables and my efforts to recycle every week?

THE MAKERS OF violent video games and the gun cultural of Hollywood should share some of the blame in regards to gun violence.

BUCKETS FULL OF RAVES for Pat VanHooser’s article in the Sunday paper. Should be a “must read” for everyone. Thank you, thank you!

THIS IS A RANT for the people who believe guns kill. I saw a shotgun running down the street chasing a drug dealer to kill him. What do you think of that? That’s like saying a toaster kills, too!

A BIG RANT TO gun owners that use cars to compare the fatalities caused by both of them! Cars were invented for the necessity to transport while guns were invented for the necessity to defend or attack by causing injury or death to the opponent. Nothing wrong with that!!! But you are comparing orange to apples. How about defending the fact that is a right the Constitution gave to the citizens!

PRESIDENT OBAMA said he cut spending by over $1 trillion dollars in 2012. The Office of Management and Budget said spending increased by over $147 billion dollars. Why can’t our president simply tell the truth?

EVEN MOST PRO-2ND Amendment people make the wrong argument for being pro weapons. And that is that the founders knew the only way to keep a government honest is to make the government fear the citizens, and not the other way around. Now, the government fears us not one bit. Those arrogant, illegitimate mongrels even assume THEY OWN all our income and now they’re playing games deciding how much of OUR money THEY’LL allow us to keep.

NOW GEORGIA politicians want to spend our tax money on bear tunnels, to save bears. Naturally, how many dollars spent is not mentioned. Bears can take care of themselves. But watch 21st century politicians waste our money. After this they’ll invent deer tunnels, and then fox tunnels. Who knows? Ant tunnels.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 01/15/13 - 06:35 pm
Q: Why can’t our president simply tell the truth?

Because he is Obama.
Plus the Low Information Voters are not worried about the Truth.
As long he keeps telling them he is saving them $$$ and giving other peoples $$$ to them.

countyman
countyman 01/15/13 - 07:34 pm
The truth will set you free!

It's amazing the local media can print the weekly tribunals, crime in other GA cities, etc, and report them on the local news. Then turn around and not report the ongoing recognition Augusta continues to receive. I know they all need ratings to compete(crime for instance attracts eyeballs), but we could use more positive reporting.

Where's the article on Augusta ranking 6th in the nation for top digital cities(125,000-249,999 population)? I saw WRDW dedicate around 15 seconds to the issue, but not much else from the media.

Why can't the local media share the recent award(2013 National Planning Excellence Award) given to the Laney Walker/Bethlehem development with the public? How many neighborhoods in the metro area are receiving the same amount of national/statewide recognition(Harvard Student Journal of Real Estate, New Partners for Smart Growth, Triple Pundit, American Planning Association, American Architectural Foundation, Georgia Trend 'County of Excellence', Southern Living, and Georgia Planning Implementation Award)? The answer is ZERO...

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/15/13 - 07:17 pm
The Frog Hollow pedestrian

The Frog Hollow pedestrian park will be nice.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 01/15/13 - 07:30 pm
The old don't use the cars vs. firearms comparison

to avoid the all too logical argument.

Cars even though cars designed to be safe and are fewer in numbers than privately owned Firearms. CARS end up killing wounding, injuring and hurting more people than firearms each year.

Saying Ban cars because they dangerous is reverse argument true and kinda dumb too boot, because they are needed, until the FED mandates Mass Green Transit.

But asking the question differently.
If a product that is designed to protect (gun), protects more than it does harm, isn't it safer than a Product (car) that's design purpose was keep you safe while you are using it, but frequently does more harm?

Again ..... The argument comes back to the operator of the item, not the item.

It is a just a simple fact that blows up arguments for Gun Bans.

We need tighter control of nut cases who are the cause of these problems. We need to Lock up mentally dangerous people not give them medication they quit taking.

We need tighter control of TV& Hollywood's constant barrage of movies portraying mass shootings of INNOCENT people to young age groups. A non-industry applied rating process would be a good 1st step.

We need tighter rating process control of Computer Game Makers that make Millions more than gun makers do selling the killing and shooting games to 6-25 year olds.

Most of all we tighter control of politicians seeking to circumvent the US Constitution. The Bill rights are OUR Rights They are not to be touched or modified by Government. Each of those Rights are protected by Free Speech, a military and law Enforcement sworn to up hold US Constitution and private ownership of firearms.

Still 3 questions remain.

Q: If every firearm in civilian hands was melted down, you think criminals would not still a supply channel?

Q: If every firearm in civilian hands was melted down, could you trust our politicians not to produce tyrannical laws?

Its been said to death. When seconds count, the police are minutes away

Q: Do you trust that you and your family will be safe for those 10 to 14 minutes? Before you answer this one , remember all 3 of the much discussed mass murders were conducted by nut cases, took less than 40 seconds before the 1st person was murdered and 5 minutes or less to kill 1/2 their body count was made. With all 3 incidents ending in less than 15 mins and NOT one of the 3 stopped by police intervention.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 01/15/13 - 07:35 pm
tax money on bear tunnels

What is the job title/description for the DNR person that trains Bears to use the Taxpayer paid Bear Tunnels?

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 01/15/13 - 07:38 pm
A good question why am I paying taxes to

to pick up my Recycling so that AUGUSTA Recycling Plant can make money?

Do they pay some of it BACK to the ARC -Citizens or is it a kick back to Downtown projects?

BTW: I am still really ticked about the 50% Trash fee increase.

countyman
countyman 01/15/13 - 07:42 pm
Interesting?

I've been sharing the Village at Riverwatch updated site plan(Home Goods & NCG Cinemas now included), and it seems WRDW decided to follow up the story.

I think the city should begin allowing local residents to view the ongoing positive news. Three times a year residents free of charge would visit the larger construction projects around the county(city own bus). The media would then have no choice, but to report the trips. The first trip could involve the Medical Commons, Starbucks, Augusta Canal expansion, Wrightsboro rd project, Mike Padgett expansion, Rockwood, GRU pedestrian park, Augusta Regional Industrial Park/General Perry Smith pkwy, airport parking expansion, etc.

The new Fresh Market in Aiken is hiring, and let's hope the Sams Club begins to pick up steam.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/15/13 - 07:42 pm
No one is being rude to you

The rant said, "THE SERVICE IN Columbia County businesses and stores is terrible. They act like they are doing you a favor selling you stuff."

I suspect this shopper is from Richmond County and is feeling defensive when shopping in Columbia County. Relax, they can't tell where you come from. No one is being rude to you.

countyman
countyman 01/15/13 - 08:06 pm
The same story every day.

Riverman... Why do you have to bash Richmond County all the time? If you like Columbia County then cool, but you don't have to belittle Richmond County weekly. It's really kinda funny because you automatically become defensive anytime somebody mentions Columbia County(i.e your comment above)..

I think you need to follow your own advice and relax, because you can't tell where the person is from. Going by the numbers the person is more likely from Columbia County.

''In 2009, a retail survey showed 93 percent of people in Columbia County shop outside of the county and planning officials want to change that.''

In the year 2009, 93% of the residents in Columbia County said they shop outside of the county(i.e Richmond), and you expect us to believe tons of people in Richmond are shopping there.

The residents of Richmond County already have easy access to the majority of shopping in the metro(Augusta mall, Augusta Exchange, Surrey Center, Village at Riverwatch). Columbia County does have Earthfare, Academy Sports, Kohls, etc but no comparison versus Richmond. They're not in a competition anyway, because one of them is the suburb of the other.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/15/13 - 08:00 pm
Countyman, ha. But let's

Countyman, ha. But let's examine the rant again. I submit employees of stores in counties around here are about as courteous as the next, no matter the county. It's simply irrational to assume when you cross the county line employees of stores become impolite. Thus, I submit the person has an inferiority bent in regards to Columbia County that makes it feel like she/he is not being met with courtesy. I hope this feeling is not prevalent.

harley_52
harley_52 01/15/13 - 08:01 pm
"I suspect this shopper is from Richmond County....

....and is feeling defensive when shopping in Columbia County. "

Riverman....would it bother you at all if someone who didn't live in the county you lived in was continually criticizing, mocking, and making fun of the county you and your family called home?

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/15/13 - 08:12 pm
Harley, the ranter started

Harley, the ranter started the county criticism. Not me. I pointed out the inconsistency. If anyone believes employees in one county are rude compared to other counties, they are paranoid or too much into county pumping. But hey, I could be wrong. Maybe Countyman is right and the ranter is from Columbia County and feels like employees in her home country are rude to her, even though I personally doubt that. Again, as I clearly said, employees in stores in the various counties are just about as courteous as those in the next county.

countyman
countyman 01/15/13 - 08:22 pm
The truth will set you free!

How come you never assume the rants towards Richmond County are from Columbia County citizens? Especially since you read the daily articles and look at the comments. I hardly ever see Richmond County residents bash Columbia County. I always try not to mention the county until you take shots at Richmond first.

The sky is falling everyday in Richmond County according to the same few people. I submit crime, bad people, etc are located in every county. It's simply irrational to assume when you cross the county line bad people don't exist anymore.

No matter the article certain people(including you) act like crime, bad students, low performing schools, etc only exist in Richmond County...

Do you and the other's have an inferiority bent in regards to Richmond County? I hope this feeling is not prevalent.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/15/13 - 08:22 pm
Harely, I'd really like you

Harely, I'd really like you to read back over the rant and comments and address what I said.

Countyman, I must confess I do feel vastly inferior to those living in Richmond County. I'm just lost out on the luck when it was passed out and can't afford a flat downtown. How did you get so lucky?

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/15/13 - 08:29 pm
Countyman (and Harley), I

Countyman (and Harley), I promise you if I ever see such an illogical rant as the one in question saying employees in stores in a certain county are deficient, I'll point out the absurd conclusion. No matter the county. I mean that's like saying the Big Macs are bad in Lincoln Country or something when the odds are they are the same, no matter the county

harley_52
harley_52 01/15/13 - 08:30 pm
Roverman....

I read the rant and I understand your comment. I'm not prompted to ask that question based solely on the rant today. It's a day, after day, after day, after day activity.

I know there are numerous Richmond County residents from South Augusta and elsewhere who have their own issues, heck...I have some issues myself. But we live here. I don't see a bunch of Richmond County residents constantly badmouthing Columbia County.

It's not unlike arguing and fighting with your brother (or sister) all the time, but let somebody else start pushing them around and it takes on a whole new view.

That's why I asked the question the way I did and it really only required a "yes," or "no" answer (which you didn't give).

countyman
countyman 01/15/13 - 08:41 pm
The truth will set you free!

Riverman, Please just take a quick look at the real estate prices.

According to Trulia, Martinez(your place of residence) would not be one of the top three areas in Richmond County. This is not 100% accurate, but still very noteworthy. Columbia maybe the richer county overall, but the majority of suburbs are usually richer compared to the main county in the metro. Both Cobb & Gwinnett may have less poverty compared to Fulton, but North Fulton is home to some of the most expensive/desirable real estate in metro Atlanta.

1. Summerville= $298k
2. Forest Hills= $278k
3. West Augusta= $243k
4. Martinez = $234k
5. Central Business District= $204k

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 01/15/13 - 08:37 pm
CSRA All State Band.

Could the CSRA All State Band please practice somewhere else on SUNDAY nights!? The rest of the week is bad enough, but Sunday nights would be so much more pleasant without hearing "blat-blat" pause "blat" (horns) duh, ditty-ditty, duh, duh, (drumming) in enough cacophony to give you a headache, since it is too far away to hear the actual music. It is not exactly a safe place to practice either after dark (even on weekdays), a dark parking lot near a wooded area, behind an elementary school, a high school, and a Walmart. Can we please find this fine band a better and safer place to practice? The noise pollution is disturbing the peace in the neighborhood.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/15/13 - 08:38 pm
Harley, you got my name

Harley, you got my name wrong, but that's okay. Oh, so you are commenting on my entire posting career and because I pointed out an illogical observation tonight in the rants, it made you ask if I would mind people talking about Columbia County. My answer is fire away and I'll do my best to defend without making personal attacks. So I guess that is a yes. But understand no one is obligated to give yes or no answers, Sir.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/15/13 - 08:46 pm
Countyman, please. Everyone

Countyman, please. Everyone knows the income levels of the counties. I mean some things are not worth debating. That's why I don't even bother anymore when you start on the school thing. Look at the state scores of all students in both counties and it's simply embarrassing.

Now understand, I do GET the reason. Richmond County is coming out of an apartheid system and it will take a generation or more to catch up. I have enormous respect for teachers in the inner city. It's going to be tough. This is the one place I believe reparations are justified...schools. But remember it does no good to deny the truth...as you say and quote something about Davidson with their tiny student population.

KSL
KSL 01/15/13 - 08:47 pm
Think I will stay out of this

Think I will stay out of this fray.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/15/13 - 08:48 pm
KSL, the heck with Aiken

KSL, the heck with Aiken County, too. LOL

harley_52
harley_52 01/15/13 - 08:50 pm
Riverman....

You got my name wrong first, sir. I figured you were joking, so I played along. If it hurt your feelings, I apologize.

I have no interest in a snotty exchange here. And I'm not talking about your "entire posting career" which is really quite sterling. If you choose to deny you spend an awful lot of time badmouthing ARC, feel free to do so. My observation stands.

I asked you a question. I agree, you are under no obligation to answer it. You choose to refuse, it's your right. It seems to me you got pretty defensive about the whole thing.

As for the specific rant ....I personally think it is entirely possible the ranter was making an honest observation about experiences he/she has had in Columbia County. Ask yourself how the comment is necessarily "absurd" and how Richmond County even enters into the picture. I've had experiences with rude clerks all around the Country including Columbia County. And those experiences have absolutely NOTHING to do with where I live.

rebellious
rebellious 01/15/13 - 08:59 pm
We can't comment on wire feeds, but

The article on Obama's 19 points on gun control warrants this.

Now I am no big conspiracy fan, although I would say don't ask me about the Kennedy assasination! My daughter, who is as political and Mother Theresa, asked me to watch this, and it made my hair stand up. Given the events I have witnessed in the last few years, well.....it is just so crazy it could be true. This Youtube video runs 30 minutes, but I promise will shake you to your core.

Humor me and watch, then repost. We have to enlighten the world.

Here is the link. Hit the pause button to read the text as I had to.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/15/13 - 09:06 pm
Well, I didn't mean to spell

Well, I didn't mean to spell your name wrong either, Harley. Listen, I've got a thick skin and love humor more than anything. You are usually okay that way, too. Someone else, not so much.

But the thing is that rant is patently wrong and I would have expected you to slam it just as I did. It belittles the store employees of the entire county. If you want to say employees are rude in MOST counties or something like that, then fine. It's silly to break it down by county.I did say later it is POSSIBLE the ranter is even from Columbia County in response to Countyman. Peace. I'd buy you a beer if we were at the club.

harley_52
harley_52 01/15/13 - 09:12 pm
Riverman...

Thanks for deeming me "usually okay that way too." I try to be level headed, fair, and sometimes even humorous in here. I'm sure I fail often.

Here is the verbatim rant "THE SERVICE IN Columbia County businesses and stores is terrible. They act like they are doing you a favor selling you stuff."

I see nothing particularly illogical or absurd about that rant. This IS a page for ranting and raving, after all. I'd say it's far more logical and makes at least as much sense as most other rants or raves I see in here. The point is that YOU chose to comment that the author was from RICHMOND County which he/she never mentioned.

And it's true that you very frequently find one reason or another to criticize Richmond County. As I said.....as a resident thereof, it gets a little tiring. You still never answered my question about whether it would bother you to hear the same about your home County so I guess we'll never know.

We'll have a beer one of these days.

countyman
countyman 01/15/13 - 09:29 pm
Riverman, Why do you always

Riverman, Why do you always feel the need to routinely compare Richmond vs Columbia? Columbia county is a suburb, and not even larger than Aiken County in terms of population. Richmond and Columbia should be working together(in the same metro & CSRA) to compete against metro Greenville/Charleston/Chattanooga/Knoxville/Columbia/Savannah, and not each other. I guess you must feel the need to mention the negative things about Richmond in order to make yourself feel better about living in Columbia County.

Why do I only have to mention Davidson or AR Johnson? Westside usually outranked every high school in Columbia except for Lakeside/Greenbrier in terms of SAT/ACT scores over the last few years? Cobb may have the better overall system compare to Fulton, but that absolutely means nothing once you start comparing the individuals schools in East Cobb versus North Fulton.

Anyway, here's the site plan for the Village at Riverwatch in West Augusta. I remember how two people were recently making a big deal, because I mentioned Whole Foods, Dave & Busters, Trader Joes, Cheesecake Factory, Container Store, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, Chipotle, Pottery Barn, California Pizza Kitchen, REI, Brooks Brothers, J Crew, H&M, Bebe, etc don't have locations here yet.

Gage Creed
19397
Gage Creed 01/15/13 - 09:35 pm
Hey....isn't that Skip Gates?

Hey....isn't that Skip Gates?

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 01/15/13 - 11:32 pm
not my place but

can we get back to the rants & raves?

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 01/15/13 - 11:56 pm
We have a winner

It only took 22 days of checking who was on line and tracking the no reason Down votes at weird hours.

Like I said before vote me down all you want, but the reason we comment here is to exchange views. So express yourself.

Kettle donations rise in 2014