News |   Obits |   Sports |   Business |   Opinion |   Things to Do |   Life |   Blogs |   Photos |   Video |   Data |   Jobs |   Homes |   Autos |   Buy/Sell

Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

A NEW STOP LIGHT was put into service at the intersection of Doug Barnard Parkway and Georgia Highway 56.

Unfortunately, this light came too late because there have been several vehicle accidents and fatalities at this location.

The same was true at Goshen Road and Highway 56 years ago. There have been deaths and several accidents at Bennocks Mill Road and Highway 56 and at Brown Road and Highway 56. Will others have to lose their lives before stop lights are installed there, too? Let’s be proactive and put up lights now.

FROM WHAT I READ in The Chronicle, a number of churches in the area are approaching mega status. Since they have such a large amount of money for more buildings, I think it is time to tax the daylights out of them. Put the money toward teachers and law enforcement.

ALL OF THE WELFARE programs should be put on the table. To make sure that race is not a factor, it should be known that the majority of welfare recipients are white (70 percent).

Proportion does not matter when we are talking about total dollars, so the facts do matter here. Other welfare programs include, but are not limited to, Social Security, grant programs and business loans.

I AM STILL WAITING ON Ted Nugent and all of the others who promised to leave these United States if the president were re-elected to honor their words. Please leave and don’t look back: This includes all of the locals who promised to do the same. Bye!

IT IS GOOD TO have the crime chart to look at. It would be great if they filled in information regarding each location.

KUDOS TO Marietta Conner (Momma Doc) for what she is doing for the Olmstead Homes community. She instills in the children discipline and responsibility and gave out bikes and a meal to those who were following her rules.

She is an inspiration to all of us.

RANT TO THE Columbia County Library. Kids running around screaming, desk clerks loudly talking. It’s like a zoo! Doesn’t anybody tell people to be quiet? It’s a library.

YOUR SUNDAY OPINION section resembled a bulletin from some church. It’s bad enough that on Sundays the radio and TV is loaded down with religious programming. Please keep the Chronicle focused on real issues.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/11/13 - 10:53 am
Gun toting granny...prove my point!

Robberies happen far too often, but a robber coming face-to-face with a gun-carrying grandmother is a little more rare.

Ernestine Aldana owns a grocery store near the corner of Muskego Avenue and Becher Street in Milwaukee. On Dec. 14, Aldana was working in the store when a man entered the store and pulled a knife on her.

"I was really scared," she said.

But as the man reached for cash from the drawer, Aldana pulled a gun from underneath the counter.

"I didn't think," she said. "I didn't remember what was being said. I just took a step back, grabbed the gun and that was that."

As the gun came out, the man ran away.

Aldana said she and her husband have owned the grocery store for just over two years and have not encountered any problems before this. She said her son bought the gun for their protection, but they never thought they would have to use it.

The last sentence there is key. Anti-Second Amendment gun grabbers portray gun owners as crazed killers when in reality, they purchase firearms for self-protection in hopes they'll never have to use them. In the case when a firearm is necessary for self defense, it's really necessary.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/11/13 - 11:21 am
Dich, LL, OC

contact Reb for details. Don't have your emails, any question email me.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 01/11/13 - 12:33 pm
Hey all you posters

Boy the posters on the letters to the editors take my comments way to seriously. I better stick to the Rant's and Raves section where you all know what a joker I am. I get torn apart everywhere but here!

HenryWalker3rd
HenryWalker3rd 01/11/13 - 12:55 pm
Broad Street

"RANT TO DRIVERS who don’t know how to make a left-hand turn. It should be a 90-degree angle, not a 45 where you cut into my lane and almost hit me."

This happens OFTEN on Broad Street. Then drivers have the gall to look at you as if you are in the wrong.

catawba7
catawba7 01/11/13 - 01:03 pm
Mega Churches we need them

I read the rant on Mega-Churches in the area and wanted to respond, but I could not think of anything but the usual to say. Then I opened my FB page and someone sent me the following message. It says it all to those who no longer hold religion in high regard in America.

The following was written by Ben Stein and recited by him on CBS Sunday parMorning Commentary.

My confession:

I don't like getting pushed around for being a Jew, and I don't think Christians like getting pushed around for being Christians. I think people who believe in God are sick and tired of getting pushed around, period. I have no idea where the concept came from, that America is an explicitly atheist country. I can't find it in the Constitution and I don’t like it being shoved down my throat.

Or maybe I can put it another way: where did the idea come from that we should worship celebrities and we aren't allowed to worship God as we understand Him? I guess that's a sign that I’m getting old, too. But there are a lot of us who are wondering where these celebrities came from and where the America we knew went to.

In light of the many jokes we send to one another for a laugh, this is a little different: This is not intended to be a joke; it's not funny, it's intended to get you thinking.

In light of recent events... terrorists attack, school shootings, etc., I think it started when Madeleine Murray O'Hare (she was murdered, her body found a few years ago) complained she didn't want prayer in our schools, and we said OK. Then someone said you better not read the Bible in school. The Bible says thou shalt not kill; thou shalt not steal, and love your neighbor as yourself. And we said OK.

Then Dr. Benjamin Spock said we shouldn't spank our children when they misbehave, because their little personalities would be warped and we might damage their self-esteem (Dr. Spock's son committed suicide). We said an expert should know what he's talking about.. And we said okay.

Now we're asking ourselves why our children have no conscience, why they don't know right from wrong, and why it doesn’t bother them to kill strangers, their classmates, and themselves.

Probably, if we think about it long and hard enough, we can figure it out. I think it has a great deal to do with 'WE REAP WHAT WE SOW.'

Funny how simple it is for people to trash God and then wonder why the world's going to hell. Funny how we believe what the newspapers say, but question what the Bible says. Funny how you can send 'jokes' through e-mail and they spread like wildfire, but when you start sending messages regarding the Lord, people think twice about sharing. Funny how lewd, crude, vulgar and obscene articles pass freely through cyberspace, but public discussion of God is suppressed in the school and workplace.

Are you laughing yet?

Funny how when you forward this message, you will not send it to many on your address list because you're not sure what they believe, or what they will think of you for sending it.

Funny how we can be more worried about what other people think of us than what God thinks of us.

My Best Regards, Honestly and respectfully,

Ben Stein

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/11/13 - 01:31 pm
The NRA says this...

The NRA previously proposed armed security in every American school.

Read the NRA's full statement below:

Fairfax, Va. – The National Rifle Association of America is made up of over 4 million moms and dads, daughters and sons, who are involved in the national conversation about how to prevent a tragedy like Newtown from ever happening again. We attended today's White House meeting to discuss how to keep our children safe and were prepared to have a meaningful conversation about school safety, mental health issues, the marketing of violence to our kids and the collapse of federal prosecutions of violent criminals.
We were disappointed with how little this meeting had to do with keeping our children safe and how much it had to do with an agenda to attack the Second Amendment. While claiming that no policy proposals would be “prejudged,” this Task Force spent most of its time on proposed restrictions on lawful firearms owners - honest, taxpaying, hardworking Americans. It is unfortunate that this Administration continues to insist on pushing failed solutions to our nation's most pressing problems. We will not allow law-abiding gun owners to be blamed for the acts of criminals and madmen. Instead, we will now take our commitment and meaningful contributions to members of congress of both parties who are interested in having an honest conversation about what works - and what does not.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/11/13 - 01:36 pm
shrimp

We try our best to protect you but we can't be everywhere...best to stay off the religion threads...they will eat you alive....& spit ya out...you won't know what hit you......we have had a few bites taken out of our hide at times..that is why we stay away....
The lions are out....sooo watch it......I'm all busy with writing my congress guy..... woodall & Senators right now.....soo try to stay clear of danger..I would hate for your shrimp tail to disappear on us...LOL

DamnYankee
DamnYankee 01/11/13 - 02:15 pm
Optional Stoplights

Being from the North - first lesson learned here, Red stoplights are optional. Red lights seem to mean nothing to a lot of people who endanger not only their lives but many others around them in their selfish act to shave seconds.

I am not a big fan of Red light cameras, but here where it is so bad - I would be okay if there were ones at every intersection some fake some real - so no one would ever know. Red is red in my book and dead is dead too. Be careful out there!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 01/11/13 - 02:36 pm
Out of the hospital and home,

Out of the hospital and home, at last. Many thanks to everyone who called and visited. It did a world of good for me. Special thanks to ICL for the beautiful flowers. Hopefully, this will be the last trip to the ER for me for a long time. Know that I love you all and hope to be here more as I gain strength. Lov e and thanks many times over!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/11/13 - 02:55 pm
Great to hear from you.

Welcome back, Sarge. Keep on recovering!

harley_52
harley_52 01/11/13 - 04:05 pm
Welcome Back..

Sargebaby. Good to see you on the boards. Hope you're feeling much better and can stay that way for a while.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 01/11/13 - 04:33 pm
Sarge

Welcome back Sarge. It's good to see you here.

SFCRET85
SFCRET85 01/11/13 - 05:00 pm
I don't know what all this

I don't know what all this fuss about assault weapons is. Look here, you don't need no assault weapons to shoot kids in school. You can do it with your daddy's shotgun.

Didn't seem to kill them though. Maybe that's why folks want assault guns. they kill people better.

Jake
Jake 01/11/13 - 06:06 pm
Sarge

Good to see you back and I hope things continue to improve for you. Eat more grits!

Jake
Jake 01/11/13 - 06:17 pm
@seenit

I thought I would give you an update on the California budget since you seem to have a concern and were kind enough to share the May 2012 link with us the other day.
Gov. Brown has proposed a budget for this year that has no deficits for the first time since 2006. It was a combination of the Prop 30 tax increase voted on in Nov and the budget cuts that he has proposed. Of course there are some unhappy people (mainly health and social services) because their particular program was cut but you have to tighten the belt across the board.
This state is not out of the woods but this is a step in the right direction.
Thanks for your concern.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/11/13 - 06:29 pm
Jake

I appreciate your reply...yes I have worried about California in many ways....I want all states to stay afloat...I know you will keep me posted about Calif.
It was the best vacation we ever had...in California....beautiful redwood trees ....we were north of San Francisco...but it really took our breath away...& some say we didn't even see the best part...maybe 1 day we will....gotta go & cook something!

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/11/13 - 06:36 pm
Sarge

Welcome back sarge...we miss you...

Jake
Jake 01/11/13 - 07:02 pm
seenit

If you ever come out this way again then I would love to see you and gob (sp?) and show you some of the things that many tourists miss. Take care.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/11/13 - 07:15 pm
Happy! Happy! Happy! Welcome

Happy! Happy! Happy!

Welcome back Sarge! Glad you are out of the hospital and sorry I didn't get to stop by. Thought about it but kept feeling like I was coming down with something and didn't want to take any chances. Glad you liked the flowers and hope they brightened up your spirits. Been praying for you and will continue for you and Precious.

KSL
KSL 01/11/13 - 08:04 pm
Welcome back, Sarge! You have

Welcome back, Sarge! You have been in our thoughts and prayers.

happychimer
happychimer 01/11/13 - 09:45 pm
To the 3rd ranter. SOCIAL

To the 3rd ranter. SOCIAL SECURITY IS NOT WELFARE.You need some learning.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 01/12/13 - 08:40 pm
Lions Otters Beavers Retrieve

Lions
Otters
Beavers
Retrievers

Property tax increase OK'd

Augusta commissioners broke a seven-year trend Wednesday and agreed 7-0 to raise property taxes by 1.75 mills to cover a deficit and provide employees a small bonus.