Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

HOORAY FOR former ASU basketball star Garret Siler for helping out his town’s needy.

RANT TO THE OFFICER directing traffic at 5 a.m. on Walden Drive by a downed line. He pulled me and others over for not following his traffic directing. We can’t follow your direction if you are not visible. Dark pants plus dark jacket plus no street light power equal we can’t see you in the middle of the road. A reflective vest, and some flares by the downed line would have saved us all some hassle, and kept you safer.

HOW CAN SOMEONE claim it was any particular religious attack for 9/11. You cannot judge terrorists by religion.

LET’S SEE AN ACCURATE, impartial accounting for the so-called gala ball for the inauguration of Sheriff Roundtree. Who’s footing the money for the expenses ordered of food and any liquids? Then where will the money go if really to charity?

THEY WANT TO WASTE more tax money on buying a “health hazard” building (the former chamber of commerce) and renovating it so the region’s development can have a “combined presence.” Did you ever hear such nonsense?

RAVE TO ‘LIGHTS of the South.’ Santa is the best ever.

I WONDER HOW MANY people waiting in line for the $180 Air Jordans are also on the welfare rolls?

DON’T HIRE POLICE to guard the schools. There are many teachers and superintendents who could do the job. It would only take about three for each school to stop anybody. Nobody needs to know who they are and this would make it safer. Give them a free gun permit, maybe a gun and free bullets to practice. I bet there would be several volunteers.

I PROPOSE THAT all the Democratic and Republican politicians in our government join hands and with a rousing chorus of Kumbaya jump off a real cliff. Hallelujah!

WHOEVER SAID THAT there is a failed leadership problem in Washington was right. Speaker John Boehner couldn’t lead the failed Republican Party north with a digital compass. In fact, I have renounced all of my Republican affiliations: I am now a proud Independent.

SO HEARTWARMING to see a majority of the retail stores closed on Christmas Day.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 01/09/13 - 09:09 pm
A RANT for hinting to

A RANT for hinting to circumvent the US Constitution

By threating Gun Owners that they will by pass the US Constitution and impose laws & Heavy Taxes, which would violate the 2nd Amendment.

Our VP today help sell another 250,000 weapons and more ammo.
All because he said that the president is prepared to take unilateral action in order to implement stricter gun control measures.

In case you don't understand the legal term "unilateral action".

A Law made by, affecting, or binding one party only and not involving the other party in reciprocal obligations.

John Galt where are you?

ssaxon
ssaxon 01/09/13 - 10:15 pm
Lack of security at the mall

Rant for the the Augusta Mall! Don't go to the parking lot at the mall after dark. Three teenagers tried to steal my daughter's phone, then chased her to the car. They then proceeded to beat on the car as she tried to get away from them. Police don't return calls and the mall says they can't do anything about it.

allhans
allhans 01/09/13 - 10:19 pm
Teachers should be in the

Teachers should be in the classroom teaching, not standing outside protecting against intruders. (IMO)

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 01/09/13 - 10:28 pm
RE: Mall security

"... the mall says they can't do anything about it."

They're telling the truth; what chance does an unarmed, overweight, geriatric security guard have against a gang of youth --even unarmed--with bad intentions?

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 01/09/13 - 10:35 pm
"RANT TO THE OFFICER

directing traffic..."

An officer, directing traffic? In Augusta? Really? Stay away from that Mexican parsley when driving dude; you're hallucinating. In Augusta, directing traffic, even around an accident in the median consists of standing blocking the only usable lane until traffic is backed up to I-20 or the "hot doughnuts" sign goes on.

countyman
19731
countyman 01/10/13 - 01:37 am
Downtown is the heart of any community!!!

#5... When did having a building where officials from GRU, Fort Gordon, Plant Vogtle, SRS, Starbucks, Rural Sourcing, ESi, Rockwood, etc can share ideas equal nonsense?

How is using the building(business incubator) to create local high tech companies equal nonsense?

Only $100k is coming from the local taxpayers, and the other $300k will be funded by Starbucks($200k)/private sector($100k).

I'm positive the building will spur economic development, create foot traffic, attract multiple grants, and receive additional funding through the public sector.

They're even looking at expanding the collaboration center initiative) to Laney Walker and South Augusta in the future. The Laney Walker location is right next to the Medical District, and the Regency Mall area could fit right along with the regional sports sports complex/$3.5 million lake.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/10/13 - 08:10 am
Good Morning "No Constitution" America.

Isn't just make you feel good to wake up and realize that you now live in a once great Nation that your honorable leader, The Hammer & Sickle Man no longer rules or believes in the American Constitution. We are now being controlled by actions of "Executive Orders".

Darn, why am I saying this! That has been the way it has been for the past 4 years.

"I'm going to take away your guns by signing my Executive Order and there isn't a thing you can do about it, you dumb Americans!"

american rose
american rose 01/10/13 - 08:37 am
Marlin and Ray's

Closed last night. Will not be reopening. Not enough business to support the company. They didn't give Augusta a chance. I heard
the food was good. Too bad, so sad!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/10/13 - 08:53 am
Location

Re Marlin & Ray's: That stretch of Bobby Jones between Scott Nixon Blvd. and Washington Rd. is a place people travel because they have to, not because they want to. I avoid the stretch because it's ugly, crowded, and also because there are better options. My stress meter goes up every time I travel that stretch of road.

Advice: If you are going to try to establish a sit-down restaurant with nice atmosphere where people can relax while they dine, don't put it on Bobby Jones Expressway.

Jane18
Jane18 01/10/13 - 09:15 am
Oh yeah, H&S man thinks we are dumb!!

George, you really have to wonder what people thought when they heard the H & S man PROUDly utter those infamous words "fundametally change"! I knew he meant it, and I knew he would pretty much accomplish it....just look how much further down we are, financially, culturally, politically, you get my drift...........................

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 01/10/13 - 09:31 am
RE Mall Security

Having seen a few of the Augusta Mall Floor Security personnel.
I would recommend 1 change in hiring and retention policies.

Pass a basic Physical Exam every 12 months, which includes being able to run the inside of the mall from to end and back in under 10 minutes.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/10/13 - 10:01 am
DON’T HIRE POLICE to guard the schools.

What I would prefer is to ALLOW school officials to carry, period. The requirements would have to be much higher than just getting a permit though. They would need to go through a professional training course and be periodically retested in handling their particular weapon.

After that, it is purely voluntary. A school may have a 1/2 dozen people who secretly carry, or they may have none. The crooks will never know which.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/10/13 - 10:05 am
WHOEVER SAID THAT there is a failed leadership

I'm with you friend. Too bad that many states are like Georgia, where you aren't a "registered" anything. I claim independent, but my vote leans heavily republican, most of the time as a vote against democrats rather than for republicans.

Beachgal
Beachgal 01/10/13 - 10:21 am
Marlin and Rays

We went there a couple of weeks ago. It was packed. People were standing around inside and out waiting to eat. The food was decent and reasonably priced. They haven't been open that long. Too bad they didn't give it more of a chance.

Dudeness
Dudeness 01/10/13 - 10:56 am
Which article do the Mall

Which article do the Mall security rants refer to? Without knowing exactly what was discussed, I don't need the mall to do anything about it, but I won't let them prevent me from protecting myself either.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 01/10/13 - 10:59 am
Where's Seenit and River this morning?

I hope they haven't found a new newspaper to comment on.
By the way Howdy to all my online poster friends!

Dudeness
Dudeness 01/10/13 - 10:59 am
Marlin and Rays was packed 2

Marlin and Rays was packed 2 nights ago. Perhaps someone didn't manage their budget well if they are already closing and/or did not have enough money saved back to get them over the hump until enough business starting coming in. That's a poor location to me anyway to open a restaurant.

dichotomy
dichotomy 01/10/13 - 11:09 am
"does not lie with having

"does not lie with having teachers carry guns that they may use when their bipolar kicks in"

Background checks and a "mental illness" database should be used for both weapons permits AND hiring teachers.

The "what if" folks will get you every time. Here is a fact. Hire police or allow teachers to carry but you had better damned well do something NOW or it will happen again......regardless of what our dictator president tries to do. There are millions of nuts and criminals on the street NOW with weapons that they did not go through a background check to buy or get a permit carry. They don't give a flying flip what dictator Obama or dingbat DiFi say or do with gun control.

Any new laws passed will only be obeyed by non-mentally ill law abiding citizens and will ONLY inconvenience sane law abiding citizens. The majority of the American public is so stupid. It's all Public Relations folks. Dictator Obama and dingbat DiFi will solve nothing and will alienate and possibly make felons of formerly law abiding gun owners.

Sweet son
Sweet son 01/10/13 - 11:25 am
@ shrimp

I was also wondering where they are!

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/10/13 - 11:48 am
Hey, guys...I be here. Lots

Hey, guys...I be here. Lots going on today so I'm in and out. Make me proud. Later.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/10/13 - 11:54 am
Yall are too dang funny

I hope AC realizes that some have to have their daily dose of river & seenit....lol....
Wow....nice to be missed....anyway..lots going on in this family.....so will return when I can.....

:):)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/10/13 - 12:59 pm
My Take On The Gun Ban Bill.

Our elected representatives and even those Liberals that still believe in the US Constitution should not accept or pass any part of the bill "except" portions that deal with the mental and criminal background checks of all citizens. This back ground check should include the early year of education and denial access to any weapon to those that have pass school records of violent behavior, bullying and show of mental instability. Also, the lack of a high school diploma would be also be a denial to own or pocess a weapon.

OR

Those representives should just pass all the bill and allow the law abiding Americans to do what is necessary to protect the 2nd.

I prefer the first part but will support the second.

dichotomy
dichotomy 01/10/13 - 01:09 pm
I hear that one of our

I hear that one of our Commission's committees has formed an "ad hoc" sub-committe to ponder our ILLEGAL DUAL PROPERTY TAX & FEE SYSTEM. I don't know about you, but after 17 years of observing our illustrious commission in action I would say that an "ad hoc" sub-committee to tackle such a major problem is something on the order of a snowball's chance in hell.

I have no choice but to hold my breath and see what happens but it does not sound to me like the commission is giving this the priority it deserves. I believe that EVERY member of the commission, the mayor, the administrator, and EVERY department head that is involved with TAXING and BUDGETING should be in a room somewhere hashing this thing out and that it should be their TOP priority to resolve this before ANY OTHER decisions are made about spending money.

Commissioners.....especially the NEW ones. The current system is ILLEGAL. YOU are committing a crime EVERY DAY. This entire "City" is propped up by an ILLEGAL tax system. What is it about this you don't understand? Why are none of you on the TV or in the paper saying "We are going to fix this NOW"? Where are Williams and Lockhart and Mason and why aren't they calling for equality?

meanmae13
meanmae13 01/10/13 - 01:29 pm
Two Killed in Car Chase

I am so so very sorry that this family lost their relatives. BUT, the accident can not be blamed on the officer. THE POLICEMAN WAS DOING HIS JOB. WE AS A NATION KEEP SHIRKING OUR RESPONSIBILITY - T

Whattodo
Whattodo 01/10/13 - 01:33 pm
Marlin & Ray's are open. I

Marlin & Ray's are open. I called 30 mins ago and made reservations for 5:00 tonight.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 01/10/13 - 01:51 pm
Just so you know...

New commenter, american rose spoke the truth. I just called. Their employee said, "closed...out of business/closed."

If you called Wattodo, you didn't call the one on Bobby Jones Expressway in our town.

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 01/10/13 - 02:08 pm
cannot judge terrorists by religion.

research my friend, research.

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 01/10/13 - 02:10 pm
join hands and with a rousing chorus of Kumbaya jump off a real

hilarious! :) But there are plenty more where they came from.

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 01/10/13 - 02:11 pm
american rose
american rose 01/10/13 - 03:06 pm
Marlin and Ray's

Not so WHATTODO, ....THEY ARE CLOSED...I WAS THERE LAST NIGHT AND I CALLED THEM BACK JUST NOW...CLOSED!!!