Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

SO NICE TO KNOW THAT a deal has been reached for management of the Patch. That course brings back some fond memories. I think it should be called by its original name, “Cabbage Patch,” though. There was once a vegetable garden across from the clubhouse, hence the name. Played my very first round of golf there and shot the astounding score of 72 over par. Finally shot my age at 79. Hope they soften the greens more.

WE NEED TO CONTROL subways, flammable fluids, matches, knives, axes, hammers, vehicles and any other devices that might be used by nutcases to kill people. No, wait! Let’s rebel against the liberal Democrats and the Amer­ican Psychiatric Asso­cia­tion and lock dangerous crazy people away.

CAN YOU IMAGINE THE crass commercialization of the media making two full days of programs on the Connecticut disaster? They even said that Hollywood is supporting Connecticut. How? By making more violent movies? They knew they could command a big audience with these programs. Shameful! And shameful of the media in general.

RANT TO THE CORPS of Engineers. Why is it that Lake Russell is only down three feet when Thur­mond Lake is down 15 feet? It seems there is a little unfairness going on here.

IF THE COMMISSION wants to save some money, they need to pay the city workers half their salary for doing half a job. I go up River Watch every day and the grass looks half done. It is a shame.

WHY SPEND $300,000 on a study of traffic roundabouts when you have traffic engineers working for the county and making $100,000 plus a year? Did they get their degrees over the Internet or do they just not know how to do it?

IT IS NOT STUPID people who are ruining America; it is politicians who are ruining America.

RAVE TO THE PERSON who found the red snowman purse in the shopping cart at Home Depot on Bobby Jones Dec. 26. Thank you so very, very much. You saved an old lady from having to go through a lot of heartache and red tape from doing such a foolish thing of leaving it there.

Jane18
Jane18 01/08/13 - 09:22 pm
R&R #4

Yeah, Corp of Engineers...explain that to us boaters, fisherwomen, and campers, that love and enjoy our Lake!!

Jake
Jake 01/08/13 - 11:18 pm
Soft Greens

You better just hope that they have some decent greens.
I also played my first round of golf there after I had caddied for my friends dad for a few years. Golfing ettiquette is something that you see less and less of today, especially in the younger players.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/08/13 - 11:52 pm
Guy Misses Hardees Too Much

About the person who misses the Hardees in South Augusta, you were eating too much fast food if it has that much of an effect on you. It’s kind of like the guy who misses his old car so much he calls up the new owner and offers to wash it.

But I have to admit I took a 24 hour Greyhound Bus ride to New Jersey one time when I was in the Army and I took 11 and half little Hardees cheeseburgers with me for food. Don't even ask me how it takes 24 hours to make that trip, but it did. I finished the last one pulling into Ft. Dix the next day.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/08/13 - 11:39 pm
Pessimism and Optimism

Something about the ranter thinking the grass is only half cut on Riverwatch that makes me believe he's a pessimist. Couldn't being half cut be somewhat a good thing? See if you had a glass that was half...

dichotomy
dichotomy 01/09/13 - 12:22 am
"WE ONCE HAD A Har­dee’s on

"WE ONCE HAD A Har­dee’s on Peach Or­chard Road and it did great business. We need it back."

Yep, and if we had not "consolidated" and robbed the South End of the COUNTY blind with a DUAL STANDARD ILLEGAL PROPERTY TAX & FEE SYSTEM there might still be enough disposable income left to support one on this side of town. Plus the fact that our relocated Section 8 downtown transplants and their offspring were robbing it every 15 minutes.

I notice the AC, our "new" commission, and our mayor are not mentioning our ILLEGAL PROPERTY TAX & SERVICE FEE SYSTEM but are falling all over themselves, slobbering and drooling over Sheriff Roundtree and his black tie affair. "Hey, we all know we are illegally taxing over half of the county but let's have party. Bless their little ignorant hearts out there on the South End."

mrenee2003
mrenee2003 01/09/13 - 12:55 am
We need to control hammers, knives and axes

I agree. Because we all know a nut job with hammer or axe could easily wipe out 26 people in under a minute.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/09/13 - 07:08 am
Just asking...

Could Roundtree use the Regency Mall space for training.....could the Augusta gov. rent it for a period of time.....could kids volunteer & clean the area....

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/09/13 - 07:12 am
The rant said...

A lot of good things came from Peach Orchard Rd area....yes ..we need that back..

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/09/13 - 07:27 am
Just for you CGee :):)

In a pew in church, while reverently preparing for the service, I
heard a little old lady, sitting next to me, quietly whispering a
prayer. It was so sincere, I just had to share it with you.

She said: "Dear Lord, this has been a tough two or three years ...
You have taken my favorite actor, Patrick Swayze; my favorite
musician, Michael Jackson; my favorite salesman, Billy Mays; my
favorite actress, Elizabeth Taylor; my favorite singer, Whitney
Houston; and now, my favorite announcer, Dick Clark.

I just wanted you to know my favorite politician is Barack Obama.

Amen."

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/09/13 - 07:48 am
Yes, B4

It would be a perfect prayer if "IT" was added to the main part of the prayer.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/09/13 - 08:14 am
When I Was Golfing

I found the Cabbage Patch to be pleasent Golf course, It had a few challenging holes. The worst Redneck course was the "Three Oaks" in Harlem. The most challenging one for me was "Hickory Knob".

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/09/13 - 08:22 am
@3

Hollywood is no different than the Hammer & Sickle Man. Whenever a very bad horrific thing happenings in the US, both will take advantage to the fullest and not let it go to waste especially if there is money to be made or an agenda to be fulfilled.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/09/13 - 08:39 am
The Hammer & Sickle Man

would love to see the Benghazi crime he committed fade into the sunset as his Fast and Furious did.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/09/13 - 08:42 am
An A Good Morning To You

TSD. I wish you a good Downer Day.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/09/13 - 08:46 am
@8

Pray tell, how would you classify the "politicians who are ruining America"?

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/09/13 - 08:48 am
What is wrong with this statement..

Despite deep-seated feelings of betrayal from neighbors of the Magnolia Trace development in Martinez, it’s highly likely the subdivision will be a success.

After all, it has nicer homes and landscaping that much of the surrounding area, including many of those occupied by longtime residents who have been vocal in opposition to the “affordable housing” project.

Well now....it has NICER homes & landscape ......well duhh duhhh...BECAUSE the neighbors TAXES are paying part of the housing fee & welfare.....maybe --just maybe if they had their TAX $$$ they too could have nicer homes....GIVE ME A DANG BREAK here....please what news for the neighbors...just go & look at what YOU could have if diddy gov paid for your house....
I will have to say bye bye on here today..I know my mouth will get me bounced & sometimes you just can't take what is shoved down the throats of tax paing citizens...GEEZ GEEZ..seeya!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/09/13 - 08:48 am
"Ettiquette"

Question Jake, is that still part of the English language?

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/09/13 - 09:00 am
SeenIt, give me neighbors who

SeenIt, give me neighbors who own their yards any old day over someone living in a place where the government takes care of the yards, either directly or indirectly.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/09/13 - 09:02 am
Jake's Soft Greens Post

I read that post a little bit before it came to me he wasn't talking about how to cook collards.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/09/13 - 09:18 am
Azziz Has Slipped in Another Name Change

According to the article yesterday, the ASU campus will now be known as Summerville. Is this getting flat out bizarre the way he tries so hard to never use the word Augusta? But, maybe it's not a bad idea. I'd rather see Summerville on the jerseys of the basketball players than GRU.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 01/09/13 - 10:30 am
PC is seldom MC or LC

Politically Correct is seldom Morally Correct or Logically Correct

There is a lot in that statement and ....liberals, socialists and the Amer­ican Psychiatric Asso­cia­tion are playing a major role in increasing the danger levels in our society by pushing to allow the more dangerous mentally ill to walk the streets and talking (sometimes) their magic pill.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 01/09/13 - 10:34 am
Hardee's on Peach Ord.

I miss it too.

Ummm! their morning Steak Biscuits and coffee.

Spoke with the Hardee's Mgr., in Clearwater SC, a few months ago.
She said there are plans to open another one this side of the River this year.

Countyman
have you heard any more on this?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/09/13 - 10:41 am
Augusta Tax Inequity

I know you will be pleased, Dichotomy, to learn that the Augusta Commission just this week created a new ad hoc committee to look into the property tax (and solid waste fee) inequity and to come up with a recommendation. Let's you and me hold our individual breaths until something changes.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/09/13 - 10:50 am
Directory

Okay, Grooo is now a mega-university scattered all over town, similar to SCAD in Savannah. We need a directory to tell us the names of all the campuses (campi ??). The one on the hill is now to be called the Summerville Campus (I would rather he had chosen "Arsenal" instead of Summerville, but what do I know?). The one at 15th & Reynolds is now to be called the Riverfront Campus. What is the one on Wrightsboro Rd. to be called? For that matter, what is the medical center complex to be called (please don't tell me it is going to be the Laney-Walker Campus)? While driving around Gracewood a few months ago, I stumbled on a MCG facility down there. I'll bet not too many know about that. Also, the MCG Foundation are going to buy the parcel that Blanchard & Calhoun were trying to market to Wal-Mart. Wonder what they will call that? Also, does Grooo own the old Fat Mans Forest parcel? Fat Man Campus has a nice ring to it.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/09/13 - 01:04 pm
Something to think about.

Most people agree that we don't want people with mental illness to own guns....right? OK....are there any other civil rights that these people should be denied? And what mental illnesses do we include? PTSD? OCD? ADHD? These are all mental illnesses. Do we just let the government decide which mentally ill people can have their rights denied, and which can't?

I don't know the solution, but it is a very good topic to discuss.

harley_52
harley_52 01/09/13 - 01:48 pm
"I don't know the solution....

....but it is a very good topic to discuss."

Right on.

I don't think anybody supports the notion of giving a weapon of any sort to a crazed killer, or even a crazed wanna be killer. The trick is identifying them.

They don't wear T-shirts. They rarely announce their intentions in time for someone to stop them.

Not all mentally ill people are dangerous. How do you tell the dangerous ones from the not dangerous ones? Who gets to make the call?

What's the process for institutionalizing someone you happen to think is dangerously insane? Do you just call the police and say "I think harley_52 is dangerously insane and I want him institutionalized," or "I don't think he should have a gun?" Are there lawyers involved? How long does it take? Who's protecting the people who may not be insane, or dangerously insane?

It's not as simple as some would have you believe.

All of which is why I will say, for the ten thousandth time.....armed guards are the answer. The rest is mostly idle chit-chat.

Amended...it's not just "idle chit-chat." In the case of politicians, it's agenda driven attempts to subvert our Constitution.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/09/13 - 01:23 pm
Just Think Humble

When the Gun Ban Bill passes, there will be about 350 million felons roaming America. None will have CWP because felons can't have one.
At least, they will be even with the mental ill and criminals.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/09/13 - 01:37 pm
You May Not Realize It

but all pistols are semi-automatic with the exception of the single actions use by guns of the old west. Semi-automatic means it will fire each time the trigger is pulled, this includes double action cylinder revolvers. The old timers use to use what is called Fanning where they would cock the hammer back with plam of one hand and keep the trigger pulled.

harley_52
harley_52 01/09/13 - 01:45 pm
CG....

That is a point I guarantee you not one percent of the Biden Posse feverishly working to take our guns away realizes. So don't tell them, okay?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/09/13 - 01:59 pm
This Makes Me Sick Beyond Words!!

Remember the Mother a few days ago in Georgia who shot an intruder 5 times and saved herself and children.

Here is the lowest of the lowest comment made by sick, mentally insane Liberals

MSN had the nerve to call her "TRIGGER-HAPPY" gun owner http://now.msn.com/atlanta-mom-shoots-intruder-in-the-face-5-times?ocid=...

Azziz is finalist for UNLV presidency

Ricardo Azziz, who has been mentioned in the past for other open university positions in Florida and Texas, is one of three finalists for the position.