Rants & Raves

THE SALVATION ARMY IS begging for money while at the same time paying for multimillion-dollar “centers” that include theaters, swimming pools and other entertainment. If the Salvation Army would go back to its original reason for being, to help the down-and-out both spiritually and with a place to sleep, they would get plenty of donations.

OBAMA PRETENDS to believe in the Con­sti­tu­tion while constantly skirting it; he pretends to be a Christian while forcing Christians to pay him money so he can have unborn babies murdered. How can he be either a Christian or a follower of the U.S. Constitution? Let him answer that!

I DROVE BY TWO Rich­mond County schools Dec. 27, and both had the school zone lights flashing. When you leave the lights flashing through the holidays, you endanger our children by teaching the drivers to ignore the school zones.

THIS IS A RAVE to the people at Smitty’s Auto­motive on Gordon Highway. After my car broke down the day after Christmas, they repaired it fast and got us back on the road. Their customer service is wonderful. After finding another problem, they helped us with the labor. Thank you so much.

OBAMA IS A FAILURE AS president. I was doing better under President Bush – heck, I was even doing better under Slick Willie!

I SPEND approximately $120-plus a month on gas. I used my debit card; because of knee pain, I didn’t want to walk in and pay cash today. Then “see cashier for receipt.” They say, “We don’t know the machine is out of paper unless someone tells us.” So you have told them and they think it is funny. That cashier didn’t just lose another $45 plus a week sale; she lost over a $1,500-a-year sale on my car, not counting the money for my husband’s truck and two children’s cars. How much more business will this clerk cost you? It made me mad. The next gas station is 500 yards up the road.

I COMMITTED A CRIME of theft by taking 17 years ago, and now no one will hire me even though I have 17 years in restaurant management. I am truly sorry and have learned my lesson. Will someone please hire me? I’m sincerely asking for a second chance.

IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE, and cars kill people, shouldn’t we ban the fork for feeding us food that will kill us?

happychimer
19392
happychimer 01/06/13 - 07:06 pm
number 2. How do you know

happychimer
19392
happychimer 01/06/13 - 07:08 pm
Obama is a great President.

Obama is a great President. My husband and I are doing better than ever.

Patty-P
Patty-P 01/06/13 - 08:10 pm
theft by taking

If it was 17 years ago you surely could have tried to have it expunged.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/06/13 - 08:49 pm
No receipt

I had that problem with a station close to my house, and after complaining 3 times it did not change. Obviously, it was lazy staff who did not service the printers as they should.

Needless to say, I quit buying gas at that station, which I cannot name. But I can say this, it is a local chain and it isn't Circle K.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/06/13 - 08:51 pm
Kudos for Smitty's. There are

Kudos for Smitty's. There are an abundance of rip off artists out there who will clean your clock on car repairs. Glad to hear these guys are honest.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 01/07/13 - 01:58 am
receipt

I spend $200 a month on gas and never get a receipt. They just want you to go in and shop instead of gassing up and leaving. They say see cashier so you might buy something when you go in.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/07/13 - 06:52 am
(happychimer) "number 2. How

(happychimer) "number 2. How do you know Obama is not a Christian? You have no authority to determine that. You don't know diddly squat."

It is true, we cannot look into the heart of someone to determine whether or not he is saved, but we can examine their profession and actions. 1 John 2:4 says, “If you say you know him and do not keep his Commandments, the truth is not in you and you are a liar.” If someone professes to be a Christian but conducts him/herself differently from what God's Word tells us we should be, then it naturally causes us to doubt their honesty. We must be careful not to judge but if someone continues to live in opposite of what Christ taught us then there is reason to question whether that person is actually a child of God.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 01/07/13 - 06:57 am
President Obama

That's weird - the reports that I've read state that when President Obama goes to church it's a christian church-not that it matters to me. If you're not doing better under his administration then perhaps it's not him to blame- maybe you need to step up YOUR game. As for me, I'm actually doing better - but I don't give him the credit for that.

soapy_725
soapy_725 01/07/13 - 07:15 am
The Kroc Center on Broad

and The Center For Hope on Greene St have two separate funding systems. The Kroc Center has an endowment that supports and sustains the center along with membership fees. The Kroc Family determined the rules when they gave the millions for it construction. The Center for Hope on Greene St still supports The Salvation Army goal of helping those in need. Food, clothing and shelter. Alcohol/drug rehabilitation as well as help with job searches. This ministry is supported by donations. The Salvation Army is the most effective, efficient organization in the realm of personal charity. You will not find millionaire executives or unnecessary paid staffing positions. They would not have to beg for money if there were not so many local "copy cat" organizations creating director jobs and massive overhead.

The Salvation Army truly does the most good with money they receive from donations. Go to Greene St for a visit. Ask where the money goes. Ask how duties and salaries are managed. Do this with the other organizations as well.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/07/13 - 08:17 am
A new day a new way

If you get a check from the Treasury you will have to get it through bank account or mastercard/debit card beginning March 1 of this year......not through the US mail......

In a few years maybe we won't have to go the Drs office....just plug into the internet & have them check our vital signs....blood & etc....just wonder how that ole colon check will be done...

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/07/13 - 08:31 am
Good Morning Sad America

"The official Inauguration Day is January 20th. However, as that date falls on a Sunday in 2013, the public swearing-in ceremony will be held on Monday, January 21, 2013."

America is looking so good folks. Just think, Augusta has the first Black Sheriff, and now on 21st, America will inaugurate the first Black/White Dictator.

The U.S. Presidential Inauguration swearing-in ceremony has evolved over the years, and different presidents have added their own personal touches to the event. Many of these have become precedents that we still observe today. For example, kissing the Bible, closing with the words, “so help me God."

Expect this year something to the effect, "You are now my slaves, so lay back and enjoy your life's, because I now control you. Today will also be declared a National Holiday in honor of me. I want to thank Hitler for showing me the way"

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/07/13 - 08:49 am
Gwinnett couple

A Gwinnett couple will get some years in jail now.....according to an article in the AJC....you see they stopped paying taxes in the 1990s....said they didn't have to .....they relied on the anti tax tactics that Wesley Snipes used..btw that sent him to prison too.....yeh---kepp watching those info commercials at night.....ya just might get 4-5 years in the pen...

DamnYankee
DamnYankee 01/07/13 - 08:52 am
Gas Convenience Stores

Gas stations don't typically make money off of your gas purchases. They offer it as a convenience to get you inside the store to pay high prices on convenience items. Believe me, there are those who would rather you pay inside the store every time because it increases a sale purchase with more margin than gas.

Gas margins can be fractions of pennies, and yes selling a lot of gas may provide some profit, but for the liability it brings it's expensive. This is why we don't see stand alone gas stations anymore. They are ALL "convenience" stores.

So the impact of you and your relatives not getting gas there, it will make you feel better, but it will have little effect on the business. I agree in thought; I vote for businesses with my dollars regardless of the impact!

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/07/13 - 08:54 am
I'm so depressed

Just reading the news of Ga....our teacher eval system is off to a rocky start....we are spending millions of $$ on a new evaluation system to showcase good teachers & root out bad teachers......
My thinking....Isn't the proof in the pudding...can't we see results by the education of the child......what am I missing here....

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/07/13 - 09:10 am
It Sure Is Great

To have friends in the right place. Added to the collection an AK-74 Rifle POLY Waffen Werks 5.45 x 39 High Quality Semi Auto Rifle with 30, 30 round Magizines. Fired 6 Mags yesterday, what a sweet weapon.

The .223 for the AR-15 is almost something of the past but the 5.45 x 39 will be more available (for a while that is) said my gun dealer friend.

YeCats
YeCats 01/07/13 - 09:20 am
Let the Imperialism begin:

Edit to add: Looks like if this snowball got passed, it wouldn't include the current office holder, our dear leader.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/07/13 - 09:17 am
wowo yecats

H.J.Res.15 - Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the twenty-second article of amendment, thereby removing the limitation on the number of terms an individual may serve as President.

Yeh..we have lost our ever loving minds.....now.....what they need is a one 5 year term & let that be FINAL...kabot--the end--never again.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/07/13 - 09:17 am
YeCats

Scary, isn't it!

YeCats
YeCats 01/07/13 - 09:27 am
Yes CG

a horror show, indeed.

Or, "Send in the Clowns". Ridiculous!

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 01/07/13 - 09:27 am
I didn’t want to walk in and pay cash today. Then “see cashier..

Have "we" really become this lazy? Do "we" really think there is some conspiracy behind a machine running out of paper? Geezus.

YeCats
YeCats 01/07/13 - 09:32 am
Agreed seenit,

and I would even accept one 6 year term.

dichotomy
dichotomy 01/07/13 - 09:52 am
So new Augusta "city"

So new Augusta "city" commissioners.....what's the status on fixing our ILLEGAL DUAL STANDARD PROPERTY TAX AND FEE SYSTEM today?

We already know the "old" commissioners are too incompetent to fix it and too scared to even mention it. Are you new commissioners going to fall into lock step with them, put on your ignorant face, and just ignore it until you get sued? Does it mean nothing to any of you that portions of the county are being illegally discriminated against by YOUR tax policy in order to subsidize other parts of the county? Are you too going to start your new terms with a public acknowledgement that you are too stupid to fix it?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/07/13 - 10:12 am
oneof

No, it is just pure laziness on behalf of the staff. I normally do not bother with receipts; but I had a company car that I ran through their car wash a couple of times per month. Nothing would burn my biscuits any more than finding out after the fact I had to go inside and wait for some poor dope to get their lotto tiks before I could get a receipt with a car wash code.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/07/13 - 10:11 am
haah...sick of the news yet

Well just listen to this & I'll be doing this when my meds kick in....hahah

gotta go now......cause I'll be a=swinging shortly!!

happychimer
19392
happychimer 01/07/13 - 10:21 am
My husband spends $1 or $2 a

My husband spends $1 or $2 a week on lotto tiks.He figures if he wins a few dollars that's good, and if he does not win, then he is helping someone's education. Our grandson got a Hope scholarship, and starts college this week.

happychimer
19392
happychimer 01/07/13 - 10:24 am
I use to get receipts at the

I use to get receipts at the gas pump, but now I don't bother with it. If I were to be accused of not paying, I can go to my bank's website and prove I did pay.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 01/07/13 - 10:31 am
It isn't about being lazy

It isn't about being lazy regarding "seeing the cashier". For many, it's about not wanting to get smoked all over or being around thugs.

My husband always pumps my gas, anyway, unless I am traveling without him.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/07/13 - 10:32 am
Happy, I'm not talking about

Happy, I'm not talking about the people who can blow a couple of bucks on a quick pick. I'm talking about the people who look like they are down to their last few dollars and are taking up a lot of time running payslips for the dailies, lollygagging around on scratch offs, etc. They spend a substantially higher proportion of their money on long odds than does your husband or I.

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 01/07/13 - 10:40 am
it's about not wanting to get smoked all over or being around...

There are more than a few gas stations that are smoke free and thug free. But it would require perhaps driving passed one that didn't fit to some's scenery liking. But if to lazy to get out and walk in for a reciept if the machine ran out of paper, perhaps to lazy to drive to another gas station.

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 01/07/13 - 10:45 am
I COMMITTED A CRIME of theft by taking 17 years ago...........

Ppl with zero felony's or misdemeanor's are finding it hard to impossible to find work these days. This is an employeer's market now. So Good Luck.

Smith case referred to Attorney General's office

A state probe into allegations former Augusta commissioner Donnie Smith moonlighted for a hospitality company while drawing his Georgia State Patrol salary will be reviewed by the state attorney ...