Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

IT LOOKS AS though we might need to start a Save the NA campaign. If I have anything to say about it, and I hope I do, nothing is going to come across that river that says Augusta GreenJackets on it. It can be North Augusta GreenJackets or even better North Augusta YellowJackets. They get to pick the insect; we get to pick the color, but Augusta is not coming across that river.

‘AUGUSTA CHRONICLE,’ please don’t take Argyle Sweater out of the comics. I absolutely love that comic strip.

RAVE FOR WEST ACRES for the production of It’s a Wonderful Life. You did an awesome job. It was very professional. God bless you all.

THANK YOU SO MUCH, Augusta Chronicle, for having this column and for printing all the things I sent in last year.

THE NEW COMPLEX IN North Augusta is not an all-or-nothing proposition. It is all or nothing from the stadium folks’ viewpoint, but the hotel, the conference center and the parking garage can be built all by itself as a standalone project. They do not depend on the stadium. From one direction, it is all or nothing; from the other direction, North Augusta can have a very nice hotel/conference center without that blasted GreenJackets stadium.

CATS ARE NOT DIRTY. They cover up their poop and nobody steps in it. Dogs are out in the road causing wrecks; they bark all the time; they poop everywhere for you to step in. Cats don’t bother anything. They go about their business. They don’t hang around.

TELL ME IT’S A JOKE. North Augusta is going to build all of that down on the river. I lived in the same house for more than 30 years, eight houses down from North Augusta Middle School and we couldn’t get North Augusta or Aiken County to come pave our roads.

THE AUGUSTA Commission has come to its senses at last by not approving the spending of $991,501 to get the pedestrian bridge across Reynolds Street started. Why not just put a crosswalk?

THE STATE DEPARTMENT is seeking $1.4 billion in the budget for next year for increased security at embassies and consulates. How about drastically reducing that budget by eliminating those facilities in the countries that don’t really want us there in the first place?

countyman
19174
countyman 01/05/13 - 02:28 am
Approve the pedestrian bridge

The pedestrian bridge is back on the agenda, and makes perfect sense. The amount of traffic coming to Reynolds street over the next few years is undeniable.. The developer who purchased the Fort Discovery building(Discovery Plaza) wants to bring in hundreds of jobs. The GGHF site will become a performing arts center($100 million arts campain underway), research building, student dorms, etc. The old WJBF property on Reynolds was sold, and you still have the Watermark site/train depot(over $100 million in private money before the recession)...

Another restaurant is coming to West Augusta(3,600 square feet). This is brand new construction, and not the renovation of a existing building. There's so much construction I didn't even mention the purchasing of the Regal Village theater in the Augusta West Plaza.

countyman
19174
countyman 01/05/13 - 02:49 am
The truth will set you free!

I've simply heard enough of the weekly sky is falling comments. The same few people continue to act like the surrounding counties are so much better than Richmond. They continue to generalize every area of Richmond County as the same.

This is not 100% accurate.. The prices fluctuate based on the particular date, they separate neighborhoods from West Augusta, include neighborhoods outside of the Aiken city limits, Martinez/Evans don't have exact boundaries, etc ..

Trulia average listing price
1. Aiken=$318k
2. Summerville= $297k
3. Evans = $275k
4. Forest Hills= $263k
5. West Augusta= $243k
6. Martinez= $238k
7. Lake Aumond(West Augusta)= $222k
8. Central Business District =$203k

Graniteville, North Augusta, Hephzibah, & Grovetown didn't make the cut. South Augusta is broken down into several different areas.

countyman
19174
countyman 01/05/13 - 02:50 am
They'll really hate me for sharing this one lol!!!!

I think every realtor should be force to show the following graphic to new residents instead of relying on hearsay.

Martinez= $238k

Central Business District =$203k

North Augusta= $189k

Laney Walker= $160k

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 01/05/13 - 06:57 am
Good mornin' all

Last rant:
Because we need our presence to show these violent countries that we're not going anywhere. On the other hand I agree with you. Let's just get the hell out of these backward religious places who think that God want's them to kill anyone who doesn't believe in the same God as they do.
I never can figure out why people kill each other for different beliefs in God.
If you don't believe in God the way I do then you deserve to die.

That's the stupidest garbage I've ever heard of!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 01/05/13 - 06:54 am
Argyle Sweater

My favorite comic. Makes me smile (If not Laugh out loud) every day.

Good mornig Seenit,CG. Riverman, Rebelious, Willow, Jake, Open Curtain, and everyone else. Hope you all are having a great New Year! I know I am. My son and I are going to Charleston next weekend to see if we can catch some winter trout. Riverman would understand. Trolling in the Stono River! GOOD TIMES!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 01/05/13 - 07:01 am
Cat Rave

My cat spends most of his time grooming. (unless he's sleeping.)
I enjoy him very much. He lives indoors so he's not a menace to anyone but me.

seenitB4 01/05/13 - 07:25 am
Lordy Lordy

Thank goodness for you shrimp.....the first posts kinda drown me out of feeling good today.....

Pie in the sky posts......some take up for him & say we need positive posts ..weeel yeh but we also need fairness & the truth too.....& KSL I feel the same way you do about downtown safety....it isn't there & I don't care what spews out about THAT!

Many would enjoy more in town if they felt SAFE...they don't & you can't sugar coat that..

seenitB4 01/05/13 - 07:28 am
Sorry cat lovers..I want a dog

Dogs show more love---wag their tail when they see you.....want you to pat them....cats not so much...

Sooo.....give me a bad ole sloppy tail wagging dog anytime.

seenitB4 01/05/13 - 07:29 am
The rave said....

THANK YOU SO MUCH, Augusta Chronicle, for having this column

I have to agree with that .....it brings out all kinds of thoughts ....funny too!

seenitB4 01/05/13 - 07:33 am
Lilly

I think we need to change your name dear lady to----Running Bare---hahah....last night I remembered that hunters put cameras in the woods to watch deer & wildlife & "sometimes" they catch human life too...hahaha....
I wish I could find some pics of some things they have caught on camera....:)

seenitB4 01/05/13 - 07:40 am
Pics in woods

We would probably have to block out the faces though....protect the innocent & keep down on lawsuits.....

At least it wasn't inside the movie theatre ......I'll never forget THAT!

seenitB4 01/05/13 - 07:43 am
Gala event

I didn't get an invite to Rtrees gala....sooo if you went please tell us about it.....anyone??

seenitB4 01/05/13 - 08:16 am
Best joke all year!

-Lawyers should never ask a Mississippi grandma a question if they aren't prepared for the answer.

In a trial, a Southern small-town prosecuting attorney called his first witness, a grandmotherly, elderly woman to the stand. He approached her and asked, 'Mrs. Jones, do you know me?' She responded, 'Why, yes, I do know you, Mr. Williams. I've known you since you were a boy, and frankly, you've been a big disappointment to me. You lie, you cheat on your wife, and you manipulate people and talk about them behind their backs. You think you're a big shot when you haven't the brains to realize you'll never amount to anything more than a two-bit paper pusher. Yes, I know you.'

The lawyer was stunned. Not knowing what else to do, he pointed across the room and asked, 'Mrs. Jones, do you know the defense attorney?'

She again replied, 'Why yes, I do. I've known Mr. Bradley since he was a
youngster, too. He's lazy, bigoted, and he has a drinking problem. He can't build a normal relationship with anyone, and his law practice is one of the worst in the entire state. Not to mention he cheated on his wife with three different women. One of them was your wife. Yes, I know him.'

The defense attorney nearly died.

The judge asked both counselors to approach the bench and, in a very quiet voice, said,

'If either of you idiots asks her if she knows me, I'll send you both to the electric chair.'

dichotomy
dichotomy 01/05/13 - 08:51 am
I see the EPA just LOST a

I see the EPA just LOST a lawsuit in VA to regulate rain water (stormwater). I do not want to hear any lame excuse for a RAIN TAX that cite the EPA as the reason. The EPA does not have the right to regulate RAIN WATER and YOU, AUGUSTA, CANNOT use the EPA as an excuse to TAX US MORE for something for which we have no control and for which was a pre-existing, SHOULD BE GRANDFATHERED, condition like our homes and driveways.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 01/05/13 - 08:54 am
B4

You're making me laugh too loud!!!

dichotomy
dichotomy 01/05/13 - 09:03 am
countyman...."South Augusta

countyman...."South Augusta is broken down into several different areas."

You could have just put the period after "down" and stopped there.

If South Augusta had been included, where would it have placed on average......about $85k? Oh, I forgot, the TAX Appraiser would never admit that.

When will the "city" fix the ILLEGAL PROPERTY TAX & FEE SYSTEM and force the appraiser to record TRUE FAIR MARKET VALUE for the SOUTH END?

soapy_725
soapy_725 01/05/13 - 09:14 am
Outside cats....

scratch cars, leave paw prints on cars, leave feces in neighbors yards, breed uncontrollably, kill gold fish and coy in small private ponds, kill squirrels and play with the corpses, cause allergy problems for none owners,

You want an outside pet, be responsible and consider the rights of others. All taxpayers have to pay for your little animal games with every increasing shelters, adoption efforts, spay and neuter services and the dreaded put down of a once loved toy.

Cat sleep 90% of the time and think about sleep the other 10%.

Dog is man's best friend. Man is cat's best friend.

seenitB4 01/05/13 - 09:24 am
The Vowell case is not going away...

Erica Masters, who now lives in the Atlanta area, filed the civil suit Nov. 6 in Columbia County State Court seeking $300,000 plus court costs for physical and emotional distress she suffered when Jimmy Vowell entered her unlocked home July 2.

I'm surprised she didn't ask for more....pay her B4 she does...

If a man was standing in my bedroom door when I awoke.......he would be lucky to live.....no reason to go inside her house...NONE-ZIP-NADA

seenitB4 01/05/13 - 09:26 am
Miss Lilly said...:)

B4

You're making me laugh too loud!!!

THAT is my plan....:):)

seenitB4 01/05/13 - 09:32 am
No money for this....r/r said

Something tells me that will happen a lot---no mon & no fun....I would wait for the traffic to pick up & then decide on the bridge.....almost a Million bucks for a bridgeway........tooo costly...I bet Rebel & River could build one for 1/2 of that....:)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/05/13 - 09:40 am
Good Morning America, & 25.8 degree Appling.

B4 give you laughs, I'm here with some tears.

Kim Jung Un had NO military experience whatsoever before Daddy made him a four-star general. This snot-nosed twerp had never accomplished anything in his life that would even come close to military leadership. He hadn't even so much as led a Cub Scout troop, coached a sports team, or commanded a military platoon. So he is made the "Beloved Leader" of North Korea. Terrific!

Oh crap! I'm sorry. I just remembered that we did the same thing. We took an arrogant community organizer, who had never worn a uniform, and made him Commander-in-Chief. A guy, who had never had a real job, worked on a budget, or led anything more than an ACORN demonstration, and we made him President of the United States - - - - TWICE !!!
I'm sorry I brought this up. Never mind

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 01/05/13 - 09:42 am
A comment on Reducing the number of Embassies.

"THE STATE DEPARTMENT... .How about drastically reducing that budget by eliminating those facilities in the countries that don’t really want us there in the first place?"

Embassies serve multiple roles.

1. Issuing VISAS to allow more terrorists in to our country.
2. Covert and Overt activity staging location.
3. A easy target for training up future Jihadists
4. Temporary Safe Haven for American Tourists dumb enough to tour or do research in a country over run by extremist militants.
5. Replace stole passports - now in the hands of Terrorists.
6. A Good a place as any to hide wasted taxpayer $$$.
7. A place to reward big Campaign donors with Political appointments.
8. To support the local economy with high paying Brick and Motor jobs that are shove and AK-47 ready.
9. A focus point to vent at that isn't of inside the USA.
10. and Just because it reminds them we can.

seenitB4 01/05/13 - 09:49 am
Good morning cgee & open & dichotomy

Just wonderng CGee...could you even imagine having sex in a crowded theatre with a movie going on & folks all around....I mean really.....how much money would it take to do that???

not saying I want to try that myself......not while a movie is going on...lol

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/05/13 - 09:49 am

11. A place where the Hammer & Sickle Man and followers can relax and watch videos of our American's being slaughtered.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/05/13 - 09:50 am
B4, Depends

WHO I'm having sex with!

seenitB4 01/05/13 - 09:53 am
WOW CGee

YOU got me with that one!!!lol....:)

seenitB4 01/05/13 - 10:09 am
Hope this gets a laugh too....

A burglar broke into a house one night. He shined his flashlight around, looking for valuables, and when he picked up a CD player to place in his sack, a strange, disembodied voice echoed from the dark saying: "Jesus is watching you." He nearly jumped out of his skin, clicked his flashlight out, and froze. When he heard nothing more after a bit, he shook his head, promised himself a vacation after the next big heist, then began searching for more valuables. Just as he pulled the stereo out so he could disconnect the wires, clear as a bell he hears: "Jesus is watching you." Freaked out, he shined his light around frantically, looking for the source of the voice. Finally, in the corner of the room, his flashlight beam came to rest on a parrot. "Did you say that?" He hissed at the parrot. "Yep," the parrot squawked: "I'm just trying to warn you." The burglar relaxed "Warn me, huh? Who in the world are you?" "Moses," replied the bird. "Moses?" the burglar laughed. "What kind of people would name a bird Moses?"

The bird replies: "The kind of people that would name a Rottweiler Jesus."

Gotta go...company coming....

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/05/13 - 10:11 am
Newton Said,

What goes up, must come down.

So the lights at the cemetery went up, Now they have to come down.

See You all Later.