Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

IF NIKKI HALEY DOES nothing else in her term as governor of South Carolina, she has already proved that she puts her constituents first by appointing Tim Scott to replace Jim DeMint in the Senate. DeMint was the only senator I had any respect for, but Scott will be a worthy successor; and if I lived in South Carolina, he would get my vote without having to ask for it.

I WAS IN THE Augusta Commission chamber for the final meeting of 2012 when a representative from Hillcreek subdivision stated the Commissioner (Jerry) Brigham “threw them under the bus” with his nonsupport of their efforts to prevent an apartment complex in their backyard. Mr. Brigham became irate at the use of what he termed disparaging remarks and asked the mayor to admonish the citizen; which he did. My question is: When in the course of political debate did the rights of citizens who are already limited to a 5-minute discourse become further limited in usage of idiomatic phrases to express disgust with the political process? I hope my calling him “thin-skinned” will not be censored also.

THE REPORT ON the Benghazi attack is out. While the report states that there were systematic failures and leadership and management deficiencies at senior levels, nobody was held responsible or accountable. Come on now, four of our people were killed and everybody got off? That’s a tragedy in itself.

‘THE ARGYLE SWEATER’ is a great cartoon. Unfor­tunately, it takes a bit of intellect to understand.

ANYBODY TRYING to cross the busy six-lane Washington Road is asking for trouble. Let’s use some basic common sense for a change.

HERE THEY ARE wanting to move the GreenJackets over to North Augusta. I say leave it where it is and let North Augusta form its own team.

APPARENTLY intelligent people are still blaming Bush for the financial mess we are in, even going back and blaming Ronald Reagan. Why don’t they blame the devil for all the evil in the world? That is the true source of it.

THE PEOPLE AT Surgical Center and the Vascular Center were so polite. I couldn’t believe it.

PUBLIX, COME TO south Augusta. We need you here. Hurry up and get some property.

PLEASE BRING BACK the cartoon Cul de sac. I miss Alice dancing on the manhole covers and I miss Peter and his dioramas.

SHERIFF STRENGTH, thank you for being so generous and giving $1,000 to the Empty Stocking Fund. It will make many families happy.

WHOOPI GOLDBERG saves me 30 minutes of television time every morning because when that show comes on, I turn the TV off.

harley_52
harley_52 01/03/13 - 11:27 am
"Lilly (I spell your name correctly with 2 l's, by the way)"...

What makes you think you know better how to "correctly" spell her name than she does?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/03/13 - 11:27 am
Christie

I agree LL, he is demagoguing. I thank the Congress for not passing the pork laden bill, and Christie should too. That said, if he is directing his ire at the ones who made the bill unpalatable with pork, so be it.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/03/13 - 11:34 am
Harley, haha

She spells it with 2 l's. It's others that spell it wrong. Heh.
LillyfromtheMills

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/03/13 - 11:38 am
Disaster Relief

If you give city and state (and federal, for that matter) disaster relief money too much and too fast, they waste some of it and some of it goes into the wrong pockets. It's best to be deliberate and slow.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/03/13 - 11:42 am
LL, I grew up in Charleston

LL, I grew up in Charleston and I never knew anyone who got anything given to them by the government after a hurricane hit. Some volunteer guys cut some trees up in my mother's yard is about the only help we ever received.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 01/03/13 - 11:43 am
RM-tx (actually there are 3 l's in my name)

And I spell Riverman1 RM :) No I meant about EG Meybohm - do you remember him going before the comm years ago and they acted ugly to him?

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 01/03/13 - 11:45 am
Riverman1
Riverman1 01/03/13 - 11:55 am
Lilly :)...It was about the

Lilly :)...It was about the location for the law enforcement administration building. Yep, Brigham again. http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/government/city-ink/2010-02-27/realtor...

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/03/13 - 11:49 am

Five

dichotomy
dichotomy 01/03/13 - 11:53 am
"Mr. Brigham became irate at

"Mr. Brigham became irate at the use of what he termed disparaging remarks and asked the mayor to admonish the citizen; which he did."

This a travesty. Ever who made that remark was quite correct and I would say they put it as politely as possible considering the gravity of the situation. If it had been me they would have had to drag me out kicking and screaming. But, of course, I HAVE been thrown out of BETTER places than an Augusta commission meeting. My only hesitation would have been trying to decide whether to go after Brigham or the mayor.

Apparently Brigham has thin skin. He should get out of politics and stay out. The citizen was well within their rights and they PAY for the right to make disparaging about their politicians and I can think of no place where it is more justified to do so than an Augusta commission meeting. Especially when they make decisions to RUIN your neighborhood....just like they have RUINED South Richmond county.

If ANY commissioners wants to hear disparaging remarks, come see me. I've got plenty of them for you. I figure I am entitled to one for every dollar of illegal property tax, fire department tax, and trash fees I pay. Oh yeh, bring the mayor too. I cannot believe he would have the gall to chastise a citizen when he sits up there running a government totally propped up by an ILLEGAL TAX SYSTEM. The mayor and our commissioners should ALL be hiding under a rock somewhere in shame.

harley_52
harley_52 01/03/13 - 11:52 am
Is It Just Me....

...or did anybody else notice that most/all the posts dealing with Hillary Clinton's claimed health problems and her resultant inability to testify regarding the Benghazi murders were removed from yesterday's R&R board?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/03/13 - 12:00 pm
Yes, Lilly

I remember that meeting and the aftermath of Meybohm's letter. He felt he was "dissed" by Bowles and Brigham just because they didn't jump on his offer to unload the Smartway Furniture store at a cool profit for him. Bowles just thought Meybohm's asking price was too high. As for me, remember that Meybohm is a realtor. Asking more than you hope to receive is standard operating procedure. For Fred (What, me worry?) Russell, an asking price is considered to be firm and non-negotiable. That is why Fred never tries to negotiate any offer down, but instead just pays the asking price. Ask Paul Simon about the TEE Center air handling unit.

Until Fred Russell leaves town, this government will not improve.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/03/13 - 11:59 am
Good observation, Harley

I guess the NSA answers to the State Department, too!

Or maybe it was professional courtesy from one government agency to another.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 01/03/13 - 12:02 pm
@harley_52

No comments were removed from yesterday's R&R. You are thinking of the day before yesterday. They are still there. http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/metro/2012-12-31/rants-raves

harley_52
harley_52 01/03/13 - 12:12 pm
Sean...

You're right, my mistake.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/03/13 - 12:13 pm
Dang, everyone goes quiet

Dang, everyone goes quiet after Sean speaks. Ooops, there's Harley, I'll edit to add.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 01/03/13 - 12:18 pm
I like your comment about

I like your comment about changing the rules when the comments don't go your way River with one I hah! Practice your own advice.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/03/13 - 12:26 pm
Willow, yeah, that was

Willow, yeah, that was totally out of line.

harley_52
harley_52 01/03/13 - 12:26 pm
Hey....I Made A Mistake...

...it's not the first one. Won't be the last one.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 01/03/13 - 12:27 pm
Yes, thank you Lilly, with

Yes, thank you Lilly, with two LL's, I remember now. I once had the privilege of speaking before a closed door RC commission meeting when Bob Daniel was county attorney. It was hilarious. Those old cigar smoking fat boys got their clocks cleaned that day. Bob and I laughed about it for years. They never saw it coming.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/03/13 - 12:30 pm
Willow, I bet that was

Willow, I bet that was something. I wish I could have seen it.

harley_52
harley_52 01/03/13 - 12:39 pm
"Those old cigar smoking fat boys...

...got their clocks cleaned that day."

Remember the "Harper Valley PTA?"

Say....I didn't think it was OK to use the word "fat" when talking about politicians.

Or even "atfay."

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 01/03/13 - 12:38 pm
I've never had a better time,

I've never had a better time, River. My husband was present and he said he'd never want to go into a battle without me on his side.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 01/03/13 - 12:41 pm
Tx all -Gotta go built a fire - cold tonight

And I actually have 7 L's in my name - crazy - I'd never counted em before. And KSM - welcome back! Guess you paid your $9.95 like B4 and CG

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 01/03/13 - 12:41 pm
Shhhhh, Harley.

Shhhhh, Harley.

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/03/13 - 12:44 pm
Question

Is there going to be a test later on the number of "L"s? Because I am really confused.

harley_52
harley_52 01/03/13 - 12:47 pm
"Is there going to be a test....

....later on the number of "L"s? Because I am really confused."

I'm confused too. She says "7," I only count 5.

Riverman started it all....as usual.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/03/13 - 12:52 pm
LOL

LOL

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 01/03/13 - 01:18 pm
Well, River with one I, is

Well, River with one I, is the resident Prevocateur:)

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 01/03/13 - 01:54 pm
Just for the record...

There were 2 L's in the LOL comment River with one I made....signed the guy with 2 G's, 2 N's, 2 P's and 2 vowels :)