Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

IF NIKKI HALEY DOES nothing else in her term as governor of South Carolina, she has already proved that she puts her constituents first by appointing Tim Scott to replace Jim DeMint in the Senate. DeMint was the only senator I had any respect for, but Scott will be a worthy successor; and if I lived in South Carolina, he would get my vote without having to ask for it.

I WAS IN THE Augusta Commission chamber for the final meeting of 2012 when a representative from Hillcreek subdivision stated the Commissioner (Jerry) Brigham “threw them under the bus” with his nonsupport of their efforts to prevent an apartment complex in their backyard. Mr. Brigham became irate at the use of what he termed disparaging remarks and asked the mayor to admonish the citizen; which he did. My question is: When in the course of political debate did the rights of citizens who are already limited to a 5-minute discourse become further limited in usage of idiomatic phrases to express disgust with the political process? I hope my calling him “thin-skinned” will not be censored also.

THE REPORT ON the Benghazi attack is out. While the report states that there were systematic failures and leadership and management deficiencies at senior levels, nobody was held responsible or accountable. Come on now, four of our people were killed and everybody got off? That’s a tragedy in itself.

‘THE ARGYLE SWEATER’ is a great cartoon. Unfor­tunately, it takes a bit of intellect to understand.

ANYBODY TRYING to cross the busy six-lane Washington Road is asking for trouble. Let’s use some basic common sense for a change.

HERE THEY ARE wanting to move the GreenJackets over to North Augusta. I say leave it where it is and let North Augusta form its own team.

APPARENTLY intelligent people are still blaming Bush for the financial mess we are in, even going back and blaming Ronald Reagan. Why don’t they blame the devil for all the evil in the world? That is the true source of it.

THE PEOPLE AT Surgical Center and the Vascular Center were so polite. I couldn’t believe it.

PUBLIX, COME TO south Augusta. We need you here. Hurry up and get some property.

PLEASE BRING BACK the cartoon Cul de sac. I miss Alice dancing on the manhole covers and I miss Peter and his dioramas.

SHERIFF STRENGTH, thank you for being so generous and giving $1,000 to the Empty Stocking Fund. It will make many families happy.

WHOOPI GOLDBERG saves me 30 minutes of television time every morning because when that show comes on, I turn the TV off.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/03/13 - 09:02 am
Assign seats

How can they do that...that sounds like kids in school.....I'm like you RM...I like the fact that williams will tie some in knots....even if he is nothing but trouble...

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 01/03/13 - 09:05 am
harley, it's the new

harley, it's the new constitution filtering down. Silence those that disagree.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/03/13 - 09:09 am
Gnip

Lily lived on Blueberry....did you know the Nelsons in that area.....

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/03/13 - 09:12 am
National news

I see the lady in Ga who bumped a teen out of the parking spot has made national news....it could have been me 2 weeks ago.....but it was an ole gent & they would have thrown me under the bus....thank goodness I calmed down & sorta kept my cool......sorta--kinda--:)

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 01/03/13 - 09:13 am
Remember

how the comm. treated EG Meybohm?

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 01/03/13 - 09:16 am
Not that I remember...

I think she said I was a baby lol so she may have a little more life experience than me (how was that for being very gentleman like?) lol...I knew a Nelson that lived on Dunham.

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 01/03/13 - 09:17 am
intelligent people are still blaming Bush.....

intelligent? To whose standard?

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 01/03/13 - 09:18 am
I don't remember that Lily,

I don't remember that Lily, what happened?

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 01/03/13 - 09:18 am
PUBLIX, COME TO south Augusta.

Yes, and they should open a Louis Vuitton store next to Cherry Tree....smh.

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 01/03/13 - 09:20 am
when that show comes on, I turn the TV off.

Try changing the channel?

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/03/13 - 09:24 am
That is the same Nelsons

I can't stay & play.....other fish to fry.....& they are jumping in the lake right now.....
I see Rtree is making noise in sime areas of town...good for him....I hope he does shake up the place.....esp. Harrisburg....

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/03/13 - 09:25 am
Gnip

You are a true gentleman.....thank goodness we still have them♥

rebellious
22086
rebellious 01/03/13 - 09:26 am
KJs

in Hephzibah is as nice as any Publix, and 2/3 the price. The management keeps a small town feel to the place, yet shelves are stocked and the deli is hopping.

And people have the sense to move to the side of an aisle to have a conversation.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/03/13 - 09:29 am
B4 I go

Still missing you on here Rebel......you stay away tooooo much!!!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/03/13 - 09:38 am
Reb

Are you still working on that project you said was making. Did you get that antique gun hanging on the wall yet?

rebellious
22086
rebellious 01/03/13 - 09:39 am
SeenitB4

With all of the collective genius on here, I find it difficult to add to the discourse that which has not already been said, you included.

Check your email.

rebellious
22086
rebellious 01/03/13 - 09:43 am
Cobalt

Gun is hung, looks nice!

Open Curtain is helping with the project. I need to reach out. OC had a computer meltdown which may have delayed progress.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/03/13 - 09:45 am
Moderation

I don't always agree, but it is the AC's playground. Sometimes it is good to have someone remind you to be more polite, as emotion gets the best of some of us and the result is over the top. As an example, I had a post pulled yesterday where I expressed an opinion on a commissioner. Looking back, I probably could have expressed the same sentiment in more polite terms; I just haven't figured out how yet, LOL. So my best play is just to thumbs up or down those who do talk about him.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/03/13 - 09:51 am
Gnip, I knew W. Shaw who

Gnip, I knew W. Shaw who lived on Kingsgrant. The Mrs was murdered by the son in law as I recall. This was after W. senior passed away.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 01/03/13 - 09:53 am
Loving 2013 so far ...

Good morning SB4, RM1, CGee, Reb, Harley, et. al. the others ... just making a quick fly-by to say HELLO!

CGee thanks for the update on Sarge. Let's see what he tells ya about a visitor he has today ... shortly :)

SB4 ... catch ya at the "other place" :p

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/03/13 - 10:01 am
Harley, About the If

Harley, I agree with you IF the incident of Copenhaver hushing the man is as represented... it is wrong. I also emphasized the need to be abide by rules and be courteous and so on.

However, I believe the incident is as the "rant" represents. The commenter was a third party witness to the event. He quoted exactly the comment that angered Brigham and Copenhaver. Maybe someone can find the episode on the video record?

The man had awaited his turn, been cleared to speak and it was HIS time to speak in a formal setting designed for the public. Let's not be changing the rules when comments don't go your way.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 01/03/13 - 09:59 am
I knew a kid...

I played football with him. He murdered his mom. They lived at the corner of Blueberry and Kingsgrant. I remember it well. The mom wanted to bring the son home from Regional for the holidays. The stepdad felt he was dangerous and went and stayed in a hotel. Turned out he was correct. I also had a kid I was in high school with that killed his mom Halloween weekend. It was like 81 I think. That was in Sherwood.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/03/13 - 10:11 am
Katrina

If you would travel to the Mississippi Gulf coast, you will see that there are many, many, many homes and commercial dwellings that are still unusable after these seven-and-a-half years. Gov. Christie is way off base about his "ten day response" to Katrina. Ten days after Katrina, there were barely but a few FEMA trailers there and the Red Cross distributing water. People forget. I like Christie on some things, but he is being a demogogue on this Sandy thing.

Repairs to catastrophes like that don't happen over night.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 01/03/13 - 10:14 am
RM-do you remember?

I can't remember what EG was doing in front of the comm - I remember many thought he shouldn't be asking for whatever it was, but the point was the the comm. acted like this ranter said.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 01/03/13 - 10:17 am
Christie is mad

cause he kissed the president's rear end and then he didn't get anything for it!

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/03/13 - 10:19 am
Lilly (I spell your name

Lilly (I spell your name correctly with 2 l's, by the way), the rant says it was about apartments being approved in Brigham's district.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/03/13 - 10:24 am
Brigham is thin skinned

Former commissioner Jerry Brigham is, indeed, thin skinned. I remember years ago (during the tenure of Randy Oliver as city administrator) that they held the first public hearing on having the city take over garbage collection out in the suburbs. I made out my list of reasons why private contracts with licensed collectors was better for us suburbanites and stood to speak. I calmly went down my list and got to point six or seven, which said, having the government choose one collection company lends itself to government corruption in the selection process. I then made my last point and sat down. A couple of folks applauded my speech, I recall with modesty. Nevertheless, Jerry Brigham harrumphed and said he resented my remarks about government corruption.

Well, Jerry, you can resent it all you want, but you cannot refute it. Geri Sams is the poster child for government procurement corruption.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 01/03/13 - 10:21 am
B4/GG

I was long gone before GG as you were B4 me, B4- they were building a new subdivison on Blueberry drive when we relocated

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/03/13 - 10:24 am
Why Blame Republicans for Slow Aid

When Katrina hit, the Democrats controlled Congress, but Bush got the blame for the response. Now Obama is President and the House is Republican. Guess who gets the blame for a slow response now?

harley_52
harley_52 01/03/13 - 10:26 am
Riverman...

You're assuming a lot. IF (note the caps) all of your assumptions are true, I agree with you. That's what I already said. Can't you take "I agree" as an answer?

And what makes you so sure the ranter is fairly describing the situation? I don't know if he is, or not. Very little detail is provided.