Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

IF NIKKI HALEY DOES nothing else in her term as governor of South Carolina, she has already proved that she puts her constituents first by appointing Tim Scott to replace Jim DeMint in the Senate. DeMint was the only senator I had any respect for, but Scott will be a worthy successor; and if I lived in South Carolina, he would get my vote without having to ask for it.

I WAS IN THE Augusta Commission chamber for the final meeting of 2012 when a representative from Hillcreek subdivision stated the Commissioner (Jerry) Brigham “threw them under the bus” with his nonsupport of their efforts to prevent an apartment complex in their backyard. Mr. Brigham became irate at the use of what he termed disparaging remarks and asked the mayor to admonish the citizen; which he did. My question is: When in the course of political debate did the rights of citizens who are already limited to a 5-minute discourse become further limited in usage of idiomatic phrases to express disgust with the political process? I hope my calling him “thin-skinned” will not be censored also.

THE REPORT ON the Benghazi attack is out. While the report states that there were systematic failures and leadership and management deficiencies at senior levels, nobody was held responsible or accountable. Come on now, four of our people were killed and everybody got off? That’s a tragedy in itself.

‘THE ARGYLE SWEATER’ is a great cartoon. Unfor­tunately, it takes a bit of intellect to understand.

ANYBODY TRYING to cross the busy six-lane Washington Road is asking for trouble. Let’s use some basic common sense for a change.

HERE THEY ARE wanting to move the GreenJackets over to North Augusta. I say leave it where it is and let North Augusta form its own team.

APPARENTLY intelligent people are still blaming Bush for the financial mess we are in, even going back and blaming Ronald Reagan. Why don’t they blame the devil for all the evil in the world? That is the true source of it.

THE PEOPLE AT Surgical Center and the Vascular Center were so polite. I couldn’t believe it.

PUBLIX, COME TO south Augusta. We need you here. Hurry up and get some property.

PLEASE BRING BACK the cartoon Cul de sac. I miss Alice dancing on the manhole covers and I miss Peter and his dioramas.

SHERIFF STRENGTH, thank you for being so generous and giving $1,000 to the Empty Stocking Fund. It will make many families happy.

WHOOPI GOLDBERG saves me 30 minutes of television time every morning because when that show comes on, I turn the TV off.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 01/02/13 - 09:23 pm
Apartment Complexes are a slow death warrant

To any community they are build in or next to.

Homeowners lose every time one is build within a 1 mile.
Just ask any Richmond Hills homeowner.

There are only 2 winners the developer, and the politician he has in his wallet.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 01/02/13 - 10:32 pm
Bring Publix to South Augusta

Is my memory failing me? We HAD a Publix in South Augusta - on Tobacco Road, right around the corner from Highway 25. We found it to be update to the limit - with self check out, which at that time was hardly heard of. Also a pharmacy with a very competent pharmacist!!- They did not leave it open a year!! It did not warrant it 'financially' how totally absurd - they did not give that store a chance - not A chance.

allhans
allhans 01/02/13 - 10:38 pm
What's with all the remarks

What's with all the remarks about the Argyle Sweater? Frankenstein, Igor, a brain...etc...Not much there.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 01/03/13 - 07:41 am
Commission

Got to see MWilliams in fine form on tv this morning. He says the mayor can't tell him where to sit hahaha -

CobaltGeorge 01/03/13 - 08:21 am
Good Morning "Informed" "Intelligent" Americans

Last Rant.
WHOOPI GOLDBERG * WHOOPI GOLDBERG, lets see?

(little voices speaking) GEORGE GEORGE!

Quickly go to another thread....what you are ready to post will give Sean a morning heart attack and he will annihilate you from existence for violating ever AC rule of engagement.

Thanks Voice

CobaltGeorge 01/03/13 - 08:27 am
I Don't Think

I will make my 470 points today to hit the 50,000.

No Religious debates to monitor...
No major A-RC issues to read...
and
No Gun topics to get my teeth in.

Going to be a blaah day.

CobaltGeorge 01/03/13 - 08:28 am
I Can Always

count on my loyal TSDs to help....Good Morning.

CobaltGeorge 01/03/13 - 08:40 am
One Comment @ 3

Haven't you already learned in the past 4 years that the society and the Hammer & Sickle Man occupying the WH could give a hoot less about American citizens and never will be held accountable for any destructive actions that they commit.

CobaltGeorge 01/03/13 - 09:03 am
CobaltGeorge 01/03/13 - 09:05 am
B4

you aren't involved with that Shades of Gray thingiee, are you?

CobaltGeorge 01/03/13 - 09:07 am
Oh Well

I guess I will watch MSNBC.....

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 01/03/13 - 09:17 am
That was a Winn Dixie

On the corner of Tobacco Road and 25. It was open for about 2 years. It went the way of all Winn Dixies. It's a shame another store didn't move into that spot. It's now a YMCA. The sad thing about losing a big store like that is that the low flow of traffic causes the other businesses in that center to fail as well.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/03/13 - 09:20 am
Democrats' Policy on Guns

Noticing that many important liberals have armed guards, it’s apparent the strategy for the Democrats is to only support unionized, Democratic Party voting, non-hunting, quiche eating, Obama supporters and government employees’ rights to bear arms. If you meet the above criteria, a criminal record will be waived as long as you can show evidence of registering as a Democrat or take a loyalty oath to President Obama.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/03/13 - 09:22 am
seenitB4
seenitB4 01/03/13 - 09:24 am
Gnip Gnop

Can you tell us what part of south Augusta were you talking about.....Fleming per chance??

I was raised 1 1/2 blocks north of Fleming school on Peach Orchard...

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 01/03/13 - 09:27 am
CobaltGeorge 01/03/13 - 09:27 am
B4

Good Morning

And

Back at you.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/03/13 - 09:31 am
Chris Christie

I just love it when he gets riled....& he did this week...he told congress off & big time....that body was bouncing with badness...wowo wow

He said that is the reason people hate congress...& I understand that Boehner told wimpy to go do something to himself....WOW!!!

CobaltGeorge 01/03/13 - 09:41 am
Update On Sarge

Looking a 100% better yesterday. Got a lot more energy and pain hidden. Will get a MRI on his leg to see what is causing the pain, Dr. thinks cancer in bone or a fracture.

Room 431, Doctors Hospital, Tele. (706) 651-5431. Has the phone in bed with him and would love to hear from any of you.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/03/13 - 09:37 am
CGee YOU are the sweetest man on here

♥♥♥ to you!

Gnip you might know a

.few on here Lily lived near that area & ksm lived off Lumpkin on the other side of Peach Ordchard.....

CobaltGeorge 01/03/13 - 09:38 am
I Just Loved

Boehner's non-PC words to The Hammer & Sickle Man's bed partner.

CobaltGeorge 01/03/13 - 09:40 am
And

I use to live on Boykin Road, (that was for a moment or so)

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/03/13 - 09:45 am
JTF

Did you see bad Christie this week......the reason I like him.....he was sincere as could be....& I agree ...if we can help Katrina victims in 10 days why are we dragging our feet on Sandy folks....makes 0 sense....we need our behinds kicked for doing so much for other countries & letting our people suffer..imho

also Gnip...JTF lived in area too....also sweetson & others...

Thanks for the update on Sarge...I will call him today...☺

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/03/13 - 09:43 am
Chastizing the Public at Commission Meetings

I am in total agreement that public officials should not be protected from citizens exercising their right to free speech as long it’s not done in an extreme foulmouthed and rude way. The Augusta Commission should be a forum for free speech if members of the public obey the parliamentary rules in a courteous way. The person who said Jerry Brigham threw them under the bus should not have been reprimanded. It’s simply wrong to chastise humorous, civilized criticism of public officials. They may not like it, but if the Constitution doesn’t apply at a government function, I don’t know where it does.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/03/13 - 09:47 am
Amen

Amen to that Mr Riverman..

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 01/03/13 - 09:54 am
It was a awesome area

back in the day!!! I knew some that lived on Smith drive...Coleman Avenue..I was nearer to Blueberry, Kingsgrant and Dunham Court.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/03/13 - 09:53 am
SeenIt, I had another comment

SeenIt, I had another comment about Chronicle moderation, too, but I deleted it. Sleeping dogs and all that. Haha. But, seriously, if that citizen at the Commission meeting jumped threw all the hoops and obeyed the rules about his time to speak, was courteous and so on, THAT "under the bus" comment should not have been criticised. Wait until Marion Williams starts with them, they will hear lots worse than that. I'm ALMOST glad he's back...but not quite. Heh.

CobaltGeorge 01/03/13 - 09:52 am
A

Second Amen.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/03/13 - 09:58 am
About AC moderation

I saw some posts last night that kinda shocked me......but today they are gone....bye bye...I hope that poster still lives on though....he is the one who said I had great sense on here.....soo naturally I saw the intelligence in him right off the bat....:):)

So he just gets heated ...so what....we all do..LOL

harley_52
harley_52 01/03/13 - 09:59 am
" The person who said....

....Jerry Brigham threw them under the bus should not have been reprimanded."

I agree completely. Both Jerry Brigham and the mayor owe that person a public apology IF the case presented in the rant accurately describes the situation. I wasn't there, so I can't say. That's why I used caps in the "IF."

Broad Street fire still investigated

Downtown streets were closed for several hours Tuesday as firefighters worked to put out a blaze in a Broad Street building.