The patients, ranging in age from 7 to 33, included one from Augusta and others from Columbus, Ga., Sumter, S.C., and Destrehan, La., said Barclay Bishop, the hospital’s public relations manager.
“Two had fireworks explode in their hand,” she wrote in an e-mail, and another was injured when a Roman candle shot up a jacket sleeve and ignited the jacket.
The other injury, she said, involved a patient whose pants were ignited after a firework being shot from a tube fell out.
The burns on those patients affected from less than 1 percent to as much as 13 percent of their bodies.
Although New Year’s Day is a time of year often associated with fireworks, the July Fourth holiday accounts for the highest number of such accidents, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. A national study by the commission, using 2011 data, found that 65 percent of the 9,600 injuries that year occurred close to July Fourth, with more than half attributed to “unexpected ignition” or consumers “not using fireworks as intended.”
Fireworks injuries most often resulted in burns to the hands and head, including the eyes, face, and ears, the report said, adding that sparklers, firecrackers and aerial devices were associated with the most incidents.