287 leave Fort Gordon for Middle East

Family and friends said goodbyes at Fort Gordon on Wednesday to 287 soldiers of the 67th Expeditionary Signal Battalion who were leaving to work the next nine months in telecommunications facilities throughout the Middle East.

Back | Next
Renisha Albert, 5, emerges from a row of soldiers after saying goodbye to her dad, Daniel Albert, who was being deployed from Fort Gordon.  MICHAEL HOLAHAN
MICHAEL HOLAHAN

SLIDESHOW

View more photos from the event

Asia Miles, who grew up in a military family, said this deployment was difficult. Her husband, Pvt. Douvier Miles, walked beside her, holding their 2-month-old daughter, whom he kissed continually on his way to the bus.

Miles said her husband never really discussed how difficult this deployment will be now that he has a baby.

“He’s not going to tell me he doesn’t want to go, but I know it bothers him,” she said.

The 67th Expeditionary Signal Battalion last deployed in August 2009 and returned in July 2010. Fort Gordon officials called Wednesday’s deployment one of the post’s largest in years.

The experience is a new one for Krista Fell, who said goodbye to her husband with their 2-year-old son.

“We’re a little bit scared and nervous, but we’re trying to stay positive,” Fell said.

Lt. Col. Calondra Fortson reminded the soldiers before leaving that there were two main goals in this mission: to provide “the best of the best” tactical and strategic communications support and to safely redeploy everyone back with “a hero’s badge of honor.”

Fortson also thanked the many family members who gathered with yellow roses and tissues in hand.

“You are the reason we can stand tall and ready to answer the call every time our number is picked,” she said. “… On behalf of the entire battalion, I just want to say we appreciate you, we honor you and you are our heroes.”

Before the buses could even pull away, Destiny Calvin said she was ready for the next nine months to be over so her husband could come home to her, their 5-year-old daughter and 2-year-old son.

“It takes a special person to do this. It’s not easy at all,” she said of the sacrifices of the soldiers and the families.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 01/02/13 - 10:51 pm
Troops leaving Fort Gordon

May God bless one and all and their families. And may the day be not too far away where we will not have any military overseas - anywhere!!
We need to take care of our country!!! A lot needs to be done!

soitgoes
soitgoes 01/03/13 - 12:33 am
God Bless

God Bless and keep each one of them safe so they can return to their families and friends. You are in our prayers.

GaStang22
GaStang22 01/03/13 - 05:12 am
Godspeed to all our troops!!

A special "mag-ingat ka" to my brother in law. We will miss you and can't wait for you to be back home. We Love You "Charlie Brown"!!!

Thank you and God Bless to all the troops and their families. You are all in our prayer!!

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 01/03/13 - 07:48 am
Soldiers

I was traveling on Tobacco Road near Ft. Gordon when the motorcade of business passed by. All vehicles traveling in either direction stopped! I got goose bumps. Amazing! I hoped the soldiers knew what the motorists were communicating. God bless them, keep them and allow them to return safely to their loved ones and their country.

jahnardluv
jahnardluv 01/03/13 - 08:17 am
Agreed

Trulyworried I can agree with you on your last statement, we need to work on protecting our own country and not invading(I'm
Not saying your implying this, this is my opinion) other countries. History notes that every single country we've invaded, we now have a station there. Also, where are those weapons of mass destruction? Been there for 12yrs now and haven't found one yet. No, well, yes, I'm against the war. Got plenty family that served too, talking commanders and generals and so forth, for 25-30yrs so, yes, I understand and sympathize with the family. Also, with the soilder. People don't get the see the gruesome side of war because it's not plubished, so they think it's no harm done. Then the media pounds this image of terrorist in our heads and we think, oh yeah, let's go to war and stop those bastards! Most don't even know the official definition of terrorist, I advise anyone who is planning to oppose my opinion to look it up first. With all that being said, GOD BLESS OUR SOILDERS, come home safely!!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/03/13 - 08:49 am
jahnardluv

I just can't give you an up or a down...good and bad. But think your heart is in the right place.

Jane18
Jane18 01/03/13 - 09:48 am
jahnardluv

Give us a little more credit, the most of us know exactly what a terrorist is, what he/she does, what their ultimate plan is, how they hate us(anyone that believes differently than they do), and most of all what their religion means to them! I, too, could not give an up or down on your comment, it is a little confusing.............one way this, and one way that.....

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 01/03/13 - 10:06 am
I just can't give you an up or a down

agree with 1/2, but not the bottom 1/2.

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 01/03/13 - 10:07 am
Been there for 12yrs now and haven't found one yet.....

According to public knowledge. We dont even know 1% of what really goes on.

soapy_725
soapy_725 01/03/13 - 10:18 am
We do know this....

that our POTUS continues to put "boots on the ground" and place American lives in harms way to protect those wealthy oil millionaires he "publicly hates". Four years and he has not ended Bush's War? The POTUS is two faced in two different ways.

soapy_725
soapy_725 01/03/13 - 10:23 am
Interesting story on History Channel

FDR and Hitler were using the same game plan for economic recovery during the 1930's. Government public works projects. Civilian work forces. And both were using the same New York banks to finance their ascension to power. We are the "dumbest of sheep". The powers that be continue to play both horses in a two horse race. And we love it.

soapy_725
soapy_725 01/03/13 - 10:25 am
This cannot be true because Obama

promised to fundamentally change America. Global conquest was the issue to be changed. Global conquest has been increased.

jahnardluv
jahnardluv 01/03/13 - 11:43 am
Jane18 just by your statement

Jane18 just by your statement alone I know you didn't look up what a terrorist is. What their plan is, religion?..there is no image or particular group for it. Our Government itself can be a terrorist, ever heard of William cooper? Ever read his book? And to the rest that are confused because you think I'm here and there, let me clarify. I don't support the war, I do support the troops who wholeheartedly are serving for what they believe is right. I don't support our governments agenda for this war. You have to be sleep mentally or just naive, to not know that we are in that country to control the oil. Come on, give me that much. Oneofthesane, I couldn't agree more on the 1% thing. People foolishly believe the government tells them everything. Research who own theses networks and you'll be surprised. They control every bit of info we recieve. No, I'm not a conspiracy theorist, just a man with common sense, although its not so common these days.

Young Fred
Young Fred 01/03/13 - 12:20 pm
I’ve said it before, let me

I’ve said it before, let me reiterate.

If we commit our sons and daughters, we need to go “all out”. This “war” has become a travesty!

You go in with intentions of total and complete victory, anything less is despicable.

Regardless of the above rant, my heart and mind, as well as all who I know are with each and every single person being sent off.