Home   |   News   |   Obits   |   Sports   |   Business   |   Opinion   |   Things to Do   |   Blogs   |   Photos   |   Video

Rants and Raves

Comments from readers:

THE LOCK AND DAM PARK looks bad. Trash all on the ground; trashcans running over; bathrooms in a mess. I called Richmond County recreation and they tell me they have a park caretaker. I guess that is where our tax dollars go.

I HAVE ALWAYS KNOWN and experienced the joy of having a dog around for companionship but the newspaper’s articles on therapy dogs shone a new light on other benefits of dogs. One article showed the value of dogs in reducing stress of exam-bound students at ASU the other showed where dogs are being used to enhance the reading skills of elementary school kids. Man’s best friend for sure!

IT’S TIME WE HAVE armed personnel in all public schools.

THE US WILL SEND 400 soldiers to Turkey to shoot at the Syrians. Four-hundred doesn’t sound like much, but that’s always the way our lousy politicians lead us into new wars.

NOW POLITICIANS ARE upset about not enough “diversity” in Obama’s cabinet. If “diversity” solved problems, we should be led by groups that include insane people and criminals. Oops! Maybe we already are.

I AM AMAZED HOW many people are concerned with the problems – moral and civil issues – in other countries. We should focus on the MOST pressing issue in America. It is not poverty, class warfare, or the economy. Stated plainly, it is racism.

THIS IS A BIG thankful rave for the guys at Taco Bell on Wrightsboro Road for helping my daughter and me when our car cut off in the drive-thru and getting the car started for us and back on the road. Thank you so much and Merry Christmas.

COMMISSIONER BRIGHAM says Richmond “officials are stymied by the complexities involved” with the current property tax system. The “revenue neutral” part sounds OK; but listen, Mr. Commissioner! Your job is to fix the problem, thus SIMPLIFY the tax code. If y’all can’t, resign your jobs immediately.

DRIVERS WITH pets in their laps or on the steering wheel are just as much a DANGEROUS road hazard as someone DUI, texting or without a seat belt. They think their pets are children or family; so they should be in a cage on the back seat while the vehicle is moving. Some legislation should be enacted to prevent any more loss of lives.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/31/12 - 06:10 pm
Lets Start The New Year Right

The Hammer & Sickle Man Media has made this little fact out of sight, out of mind.

Sometimes you just cannot argue with the numbers. If these numbers are correct and true, the USA has bigger problems on their hands other than who was elected President.

From Bill O'Reilly's message board..

Most everyone suspected fraud, but these numbers prove it and our government and media refuse to do anything about it.

As each state reported their final election details, the evidence of voter fraud is astounding. Massive voter fraud has been reported in areas of OH and FL, with PA, WI and VA, all are deploying personnel to investigate election results.

Here are just a few examples of what has surfaced with much more to come.

* In 59 voting districts in the Philadelphia region, Obama received 100% of the votes with not even a single vote recorded for Romney. (a mathematical and statistical impossibility).

* In 21 districts in Wood County Ohio, Obama received 100% of the votes where GOP inspectors were illegally removed from their polling locations - and not one single vote was recorded for Romney.
(another statistical impossibility).

* In Wood County Ohio, 106,258 voted in a county with only
98,213 eligible voters.

* In St. Lucie County, FL, there were 175,574 registered eligible voters but 247,713 votes were cast.

* The National SEAL Museum , a polling location in St. Lucie County, FL had a 158% voter turnout.

* Palm Beach County , FL had a 141% voter turnout.

* In Ohio County , Obama won by 108% of the total number of eligible voters.

NOTE: Obama won in every state that did not require a Photo ID and lost in every state that did require a Photo ID in order to vote.

Imagine that!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/31/12 - 07:09 pm

Thanks, George, for that bit of disgusting news. Give Florida and Ohio to Romney and things turn around quick.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/31/12 - 07:10 pm
Shift

It is interesting to look at what the various phases of the SPLOSTs have bought us through the decades. Phases I through IV were heavily focused on infrastructure (roads, bridges, drainage) and parks. Beginning with Phase V and then into the current Phase VI, the emphasis shifted to public buildings (Ruff House, Fire Training Building, Phinizy Road jail expansion, Library, the infamous TEE Center, current relocation of sheriff's administration building (i.e., Strong Box), and future renovation of the Marble Palace (hold on to your wallets)), plus (as Marion Williams called them) "quality of life" projects. In many aspects, quality of life projects means the transfer of tax money to private organizations. Recipients so far have been Imperial Theater, Augusta Mini Theater, Lucy Craft Laney Museum, Augusta History Museum, MACH Academy (whatever that is?), Golden Harvest Food Bank, Paine College and coming soon the Augusta Symphony.

Though these organizations may have some good intentions, it still is inappropriate for government to take money from citizens by force in order to fund private organizations of others.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/31/12 - 07:11 pm
Pretty soon you're talking real money

It is disheartening to look at all the tax money collected through SPLOST and realize what societal good could have been achieved had that money been spent by the citizens who earned it on the investments they desired in the free market. It is also sad to realize the waste and corruption when spent by government. Here are the collections from SPLOST:

Phase I has been closed out, hence no figures were provided today.

Phase II - - - - $103 million collected - - - $ 2 million yet to be spent

Phase III- - - - $169 million collected - - - $37 million yet to be spent

Phase IV - - - - $243 million collected - - - $29 million yet to be spent

Phase V - - - - -$229 million collected - - - $31 million yet to be spent

Phase VI - - - - $115 million collected - - - $46 million yet to be spent

Remember that phases II through V are closed to new collections. Phase VI is ongoing. More millions will roll in.

I also note some slippery accounting in the lists published in the paper today. In the Phase VI SPLOST referendum, the quality of life projects presented to the voters in the referendum included Imperial Theater, Augusta Mini Theater, Lucy Craft Laney Museum, and Augusta Museum of History. Those do not appear in the Phase VI list in the paper, but instead appear in the Phase V list with 100% completion in payouts. It looks to me like the city fathers could not spend all the money the collected in Phase V and just shifted those projects over there to avoid the embarrassing appearance that they're collecting more than they can spend on public works like roads, bridges and drainage.

Also, promised funds for Paine College and Augusta Symphony do not appear anywhere in the lists in today's paper (unless I overlooked them), but they were in the referendum. Paine's HEAL Center has been built — I presume the payoff by the city has been made. Augusta Symphony is not far enough along to need funds, but you can bet they will be back with their hands out when construction starts.

Jake
Jake 12/31/12 - 08:00 pm
Happy New Year folks

I recently upgraded from $6.95 a month to the new $9.95 a month for the e-subscription. I don't mind paying the money to chat with and share my nonsense with other nonsense sharers. Sometimes you get entertained, bored, angered, repulsed, "enlightened", sentimental, or chagrined by what you read but it is almost always fun.
CG, I knew you were not going away for just a lousy $3 bucks.
I would like to know, if anyone can tell me, where is scoobedoo, aka Carlton Duvall? I miss his presence on here. He has a lot of stories about Augusta from the 30's, some of which he has shared before. I love that man and he has an eye for the way things used to be.
Well, I have already had a half dozen oysters for lunch and will have escargot with dinner and will also have black eyed peas tomorrow as good luck. So far it is working.
God bless you all for being on board here, even the ones that cannot stand me. Sometimes I cannot stand myself.
And I am also thankful for being able to meet LittleLamb and his lovely wife, Cobalt George and Sarge this year. I hope 2013 brings health, prosperity, and peace to you all.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/31/12 - 08:13 pm
Happy New Year

Thank you, Jake. It was delightful meeting you in sunny California. My wife is out there every June, but I tag along once every few years. Thanks for your sightseeing recommendations, and I'll study up a little better next time. Best wishes to you and your family for a prosperous and happy New Year.

P.S. Isn't it amazing that they haven't pulled the plug on today's R&R thread yet?

KSL
122058
KSL 12/31/12 - 09:23 pm
Jake

I am concerned, as well. I used to regularly get emails from him. They stopped. I sent him an email, but I didn' t hear back. He always answered my emails.

harley_52
harley_52 12/31/12 - 09:30 pm
Scoobedoo....

I hear from Carleton occasionally and he's doing fine as best I can tell. I'm sure he joins me in wishing everybody a very happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/31/12 - 09:31 pm
Ooops

I jinxed the thread. Once I mentioned the thread hadn't been pulled from the "most discussed" list, the Chronicle gnomes pulled it!

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 12/31/12 - 10:49 pm
Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!

New report on Thomson plane crash

The National Transportation Safety Board released a new report Wednesday with details surrounding a Thomson, Ga., plane crash in February 2013 that killed five members of The Vein Guys staff.