Rants and Raves

Comments from readers:

THE LOCK AND DAM PARK looks bad. Trash all on the ground; trashcans running over; bathrooms in a mess. I called Richmond County recreation and they tell me they have a park caretaker. I guess that is where our tax dollars go.

I HAVE ALWAYS KNOWN and experienced the joy of having a dog around for companionship but the newspaper’s articles on therapy dogs shone a new light on other benefits of dogs. One article showed the value of dogs in reducing stress of exam-bound students at ASU the other showed where dogs are being used to enhance the reading skills of elementary school kids. Man’s best friend for sure!

IT’S TIME WE HAVE armed personnel in all public schools.

THE US WILL SEND 400 soldiers to Turkey to shoot at the Syrians. Four-hundred doesn’t sound like much, but that’s always the way our lousy politicians lead us into new wars.

NOW POLITICIANS ARE upset about not enough “diversity” in Obama’s cabinet. If “diversity” solved problems, we should be led by groups that include insane people and criminals. Oops! Maybe we already are.

I AM AMAZED HOW many people are concerned with the problems – moral and civil issues – in other countries. We should focus on the MOST pressing issue in America. It is not poverty, class warfare, or the economy. Stated plainly, it is racism.

THIS IS A BIG thankful rave for the guys at Taco Bell on Wrightsboro Road for helping my daughter and me when our car cut off in the drive-thru and getting the car started for us and back on the road. Thank you so much and Merry Christmas.

COMMISSIONER BRIGHAM says Richmond “officials are stymied by the complexities involved” with the current property tax system. The “revenue neutral” part sounds OK; but listen, Mr. Commissioner! Your job is to fix the problem, thus SIMPLIFY the tax code. If y’all can’t, resign your jobs immediately.

DRIVERS WITH pets in their laps or on the steering wheel are just as much a DANGEROUS road hazard as someone DUI, texting or without a seat belt. They think their pets are children or family; so they should be in a cage on the back seat while the vehicle is moving. Some legislation should be enacted to prevent any more loss of lives.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/31/12 - 09:47 am
Five & dime

They are Gone with The wind......just like a lot of good things we remember.....
35cents a gallon of gas
$20,000 for a decent house
$4000 for a good car
$35.00 for weeks groceries
I could get my hair "fixed" for $12.00 dollars
Colored for $25.00

I miss some things so much......crime free neighborhood in the Wheeless Rd area too.....imagine THAT!!
Like the Cher song...If I could turn back time......sigh..

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/31/12 - 09:50 am
Happy New Year Mr Sean

It seems ya can't get rid of some of us....hahaha might as well enjoy us....

Work to do here & stuff going on & also my babys birthday......happy birthday sweetie....love ya..

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/31/12 - 10:01 am

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/31/12 - 10:00 am
B4

We also have a birthday too tonight at 0031 hour, my 3rd son was born at Fort George G. Mead as the first in Maryland. The CIC got her picture in the paper and I got a bottle of Champagne for doing all the work.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/31/12 - 10:22 am
I Just Don't Understand

why so many so call Americans can't realize that....

Raising taxes on the Rich & Banned Weapons doesn't solve a Damn Thing!

You can't screw a NUT on a BOLT by turning it the wrong way!

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 12/31/12 - 10:45 am
RAVE FOR THE AC STAFF

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to Vent and Comment on the activities occurring in our communities.

This AC given ability, has been a constant thorn and free speech reminder to everyone in business and government that when things happen eventually they leak out and people learn.

Best of All
It has also served as a viaduct to allow the praise of those, who once went unnoticed for their great deeds.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/31/12 - 11:15 am
SPLOST Public Notice

If you subscribe to the Chronicle print edition, please open the Metro section to pages 6B and 7B. If you do not subscribe and you live or do business in Richmond County, you would do well to go buy a copy today.

Pages 6B and 7B comprise a Wall of Shame by listing the status of all pending SPLOST projects. What a waste. I'll discuss a couple of examples here, then I'm going back to study more.

Recall that the legislature inaugurated SPLOST back in the 1990s. It was much heralded, since it provided for local control of sales tax dollars instead of letting ’Lanter decide how sales taxes would be spent. Anyway, SPLOST collections were required to have designated project lists submitted to voters with total sales tax collection dollars stipulated for a given phase. Each phase would require voter approval. The way Augusta does it, a phase typically lasts about five years; that's the approximate time it takes to collect the stipulated dollars. Phase I began in the early to mid-nineties, and I remember it well. About six months after the tax collections began, the street in front of my house in National Hills was resurfaced (and it needed it).

Anyway, Phase I was declared complete just a year or so ago. Now, in today's paper, we see that Phase II (approved in the late nineties) is still open with a few projects unfinished. One of them caught my eye:

Phase II – Rock Creek/Warren Lake Restoration — they budgeted $1,200,000 for this project and have spent so far $88,000, for a 17% completion rate. Why is it taking so long. Rock Creek is out here in West Augusta. This project is part of the city's storm drainage control system. Is flooding in West Augusta a problem? Well, occasionally, but not often. But this project is important not for West Augusta, but instead for flood-prone areas in east and south Augusta near the Savannah River. The idea is if you build detention systems in higher elevations with passive discharge structures that release rainwater slowly (over a few days instead of a few hours), you prevent flooding in low-lying areas. Why are our city fathers allowing this project to languish for fifteen years while instead building a HEAL center on Paine College campus (public funds for a private school!) with proceeds from SPLOST Phase VI?

Phase III – County forces resurfacing various roads — Yep, that's what it says. Phase III began early in the 21st century. How are they doing on this one? Well, Phase III budgeted $5,650,000 for this project, then mysteriously cut that back (i.e., reshuffle) to $925,000. The list shows they have spent only $150,000 on this project, for a 17% completion rate. My friends, do you know of a street or road in Richmond County that could stand resurfacing? Do you think that our public works employees are too exhausted from their daily work duties to go out and resurface a road every now and then? It's not rocket science. Fred (What, me worry?) Russell just doesn't want to be bothered with this sort of mundane activity when he can dream up a new multi-million dollar building to have R.W. Allen construct.

Phase III – Augusta Mini Theater – Originally budgeted for $400,000 on the list submitted to voters, after voters approved the SPLOST the budget was inexplicably increased to $850,000. They have spent $810,000 of this Phase III money for a 95% completion. Yes, Augusta Mini Theater has a large campus and a beautiful new building down on Deans Bridge (near Gordon Hwy.); but why should taxpayers fund this private enterprise? Oh, dig this: buried in the Phase V SPLOST list is another cool $500,000 budgeted and spent on the Augusta Mini Theater. It's the highest-dollar theater in town. Theater goers, you must really be missing something!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/31/12 - 11:18 am
Happy Birthday

Happy birthday to your son, CG! And I wish many more birthday returns for you! Welcome back to the forum.

allhans
allhans 12/31/12 - 11:30 am
The three pound dog in my lap

The three pound dog in my lap is not nearly the hindrance as some stomachs. -: (

Bantana
2071
Bantana 12/31/12 - 12:42 pm
CG wrote:

"You can't screw a NUT on a BOLT by turning it the wrong way!"

Well of course you can, if it is a lefthand threaded bolt.
Get it? :-)))

Happy New Year to you George and to all.

harley_52
harley_52 12/31/12 - 12:52 pm
Welcome Back...

CobaltGeorge.

Jane18
Jane18 12/31/12 - 01:17 pm
Online Subscription

George, I was like you about the $9.95, so I called the NY telephone # for Press on my credit card. A lady told me that since I was already a subscriber, I would have to be "grandfathered" in and stay at the original price. Like you, I was going to discontinue, but, for that $6.95, I said I would stay. Soooooo, I guess someone needs to straighten us(me) out on the new charge.............help Sean!!

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/31/12 - 01:41 pm
Jane

I am paying $16 now. Confusing.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/31/12 - 01:49 pm
CGee or anyone, so how do I

CGee or anyone, so how do I get the online only Chronicle membership? I currently pay 6.95. Will it just automatically go up to 9.95 without me doing anything? Or do I need to do something?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/31/12 - 01:57 pm
NO Everybody

call this nr. (866) 717-7377 and tell them what you want or it will go to $16.95 the end of January. If you get a paper copy you will be charged $16.95.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/31/12 - 01:59 pm
If You Receive A Paper Copy

and want to keep it, you will have all options and will be able to post.

If you want the Aps it will be $16.95

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/31/12 - 02:01 pm
Go To

All-Access Membership at the top Tabs.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/31/12 - 02:05 pm
Bantana

The same to you and family.

"Well of course you can, if it is a lefthand threaded bolt"

I learned a long time ago, "Only a Liberial will try to turn it the wrong way and use a left threaded bolt"

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/31/12 - 02:06 pm
Thanks Harley

I find it as hard to stop smoking as it is to not BS with Friends.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/31/12 - 02:29 pm
Ummm, I tried to upgrade or

Ummm, I tried to upgrade or whatever you call it and it says a problem with my credit card. Ha, so how are they charging me now? Maybe I have to wait until tomorrow when the current subscription runs out?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/31/12 - 02:41 pm
RM

It doesn't run out tomorrow, it will run out at the end of the billing cycle which is at the end of January, so I was told by CraigPlus.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/31/12 - 02:45 pm
Thanks CG

Thanks CG

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/31/12 - 03:10 pm
Time for Ga Tech v. Southern

Time for Ga Tech v. Southern Cal. I'm going with Tech and Clemson later today. Dang the point spreads, full speed ahead with loyalty.

rebellious
20737
rebellious 12/31/12 - 03:47 pm
George

Good to see you back on here!

allhans
allhans 12/31/12 - 04:03 pm
I pay $20.01 ..What is going

I pay $20.01 ..What is going on?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/31/12 - 04:07 pm
Pricing

It's like airline tickets and hotel rooms. No one pays the same price.

harley_52
harley_52 12/31/12 - 04:51 pm
I pay $21.91...

....the highest monthly rate I've heard yet.

I guess they don't like my views/comments.

Maybe they factor in the cost of all the warnings I get.

corgimom
corgimom 12/31/12 - 04:52 pm
Augusta Mini Theatre

LL, I personally know Tyrone Butler. Out of all the BS that has gone down in Augusta, the Mini Theatre is one of the few things that I wholeheartedly support. He has done so much good in Augusta. He started out with NOTHING, and I do mean nothing, in a terrible run-down building on 8th St, and he and his wife have spent over 30 years working with low-income kids, to teach them dance, music, and drama. It's a very positive program, and I'd far rather support the Mini Theatre than YDC.
There are two men and places in Augusta that I have the utmost respect for- one is Tyrone Butler and the Mini Theatre, and the other is Dan Hileman and the Augusta Child Advocacy Center. Both of them deserve all the support that the CSRA can give them, they have earned it.

countyman
20118
countyman 12/31/12 - 05:52 pm
I wonder why nobody mentioned

I wonder why nobody mentioned the Big Lots and Dollar Tree coming to Evans. I was told the Food Lion's closed three locations in CC, because it's the upscale community.. Those people didn't want to shop at Food Lion lol.

Even though both of the IGA's located in Harlem/Grovetown are doing well, and Grovetown is getting another IGA(KJ Market).