Rants & Raves

WHICH WILL BE THE next hop-head state?

I SAW YOUR STORY about the voters coming from vacant houses. Yessir, and a few of them come from the cemetery, too.

RAVES TO THE vet clinic in Grovetown for being so kind Dec. 4 when we had to put our little poodle Ginger to sleep.

AS FOR THE horrific shootings of so many children in Connecticut, I believe it will not end until something is done about Hollywood spewing filth and drugs and violence. If a young person is already unstable, watching some of these movies on TV will push them over the edge. And please do not take away our guns; we need them to protect ourselves.

RAVE FOR THE PERSON who complained about the stinky cats. I cannot agree more. These people needs to do something more about these loose creatures. Cats are and dogs are the most pesky creatures. Furthermore, they smell awful.

WHAT HYPOCRISY when 26 innocent people are killed and we cry, “Disarm the populace.” Millions aborted and still counting, but the liberals want this freedom.

SORRY, MAYOR Copenhaver, to see that you were outwitted by your counterpart in North Augusta! Maybe you could grab the rights to the water taxi concession which will ferry folks from Augusta to North Augusta to participate in events there?

RANT TO ALL the religious articles/letters to the editor that run in your paper. Stick to hard news and sports.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/28/12 - 09:50 pm
Georgia Suing Regent University

It’s irony we’re having to help pay for a lawsuit against Regent University because Azziz wants to steal their name against our wishes. It’s like we’re the readers of a novel, knowing what is actually happening with the words having a different meaning for us than for the characters. As far as helping pay for what I know is wrong, it makes me feel like the time Aunt Chick made me bail Uncle Mervin out of the Orangeburg County jail after his 4th DUI.

Jake
Jake 12/29/12 - 12:21 am
Hop-head state?

What exactly is that? Hops is an integral ingredient in beer so I guess any state that is brewing or consuming beer in copious amounts could be considered a hop-head state. I bet there are a few close-by somewhere.

omnomnom
omnomnom 12/29/12 - 07:41 am
in NYC i think they have the

in NYC i think they have the "Legalize Pop" campaign after the big-gulp ban.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 12/29/12 - 07:49 am
Losing a pet

is a heart breaking thing for people that have pets and love them. It is like losing a family member. Grovetown Animal Clinic with Dr. Motzkus and his staff have taken care of many of our animals over several decades. You could not ask for any more compassion in your grief, they not only treat animals, they also care for people. God bless them.

KSL
KSL 12/29/12 - 09:31 am
To the last ranter

By all means. Defacto censorship should be practiced. Eliminate all means for freedom of speech. Publish only what the majority want to hear or read. NOT!!!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/29/12 - 10:59 am
Yea Jake, I guess I'm a hop

Yea Jake, I guess I'm a hop head; though I like mine a little less "hoppy" than a lot do.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/29/12 - 11:17 am
I still think there is merit

I still think there is merit to the idea Hollywood has a lot to do with today's lack of respect for life. The argument is that if that is so why doesn't it affect me? Or, why didn't it influence my kids?

I think the ranter above pegs it with the comment that susceptible people ARE influenced and we are seeing them in action in places like Columbine and Newtown.

If one thinks Hollywood has no influence, give me your thoughts on the language used by so many younger people these days, and where they got the idea it is OK to throw in the eff word, and its variants, multiple times in one sentence. The first place I heard language that intense was in the movies.

dichotomy
dichotomy 12/29/12 - 11:27 am
"“Disarm the populace.” It's

"“Disarm the populace.”

It's always the first reaction.

We kill more children with cars every year than are killed by guns. Nobody screams to ban cars. We write those kid's lives off as the cost of doing business. Even though there is NO specific constitutional right to own or operate a car.

We sell cars and motorcycles every day, no criminal background check required, to anyone with the money or the credit, that can go 200 mph, even though nobody needs a 30 round......errr.....a car than can go 200 mph. Nobody stands up and says "Ban Ferraris, Mustangs, Camaros, and Yamahas. Only 4 cylinder Chevys and 50 cc scooters will be available". Why? Well that might inconvenience the hypocrites that want to ban guns. Take away their thing, not my thing.

There are many people who's right to protect themselves, their right to own a gun, any kind of gun, is just as important to them as your car is to you. And that right is specifically spelled out in our Constitution. It is, in fact, the cost of doing business. Just like your car, which kills more children than guns.

In the Newtown incident we had a single mother of a nutcase son who she knew was a nutcase. SHE had purchased the weapons and stored them unsecurely in her basement....where his computer game playing mancave was located. And she made the not so smart move of telling her son that she was trying to have him committed. How stupid.

In the case of the man who ambushed the NY firefighters, they have detained a former next door neighbor who purchased that Bushmaster rifle when she lived next door to this convicted murderer who could not legally buy a weapon. The authorities suspect the neighbor bought it for him, the neighbor's brother says the nutcase stole the gun from his sister. But the point is, neither of these shooters legally bought the weapons they used. Just like people steal cars and people with suspended driver's licenses get in vehicles and kill people, even children, every day. It is the cost of doing business.

You want to improve safety at schools? Put armed guards at schools and give teachers and administrators the option of carrying a weapon, after a training course, if they so desire.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/29/12 - 12:57 pm
Sequestration

The whole idea of the law that would allow income tax rates to rise to the Clinton-era rates, coupled with sequestration in spending was to begin putting a dent in deficit spending.

Obama's offer to Boehner is to allow some rates to rise (it actually amounts to but a token – only a symbol – imposed on the evil rich) immediately, and then to begin slow, deliberate negotiations in 2013 to address the spending cuts — maybe.

That reminds me of Popeye’s friend, Wimpy. Do you remember how he said, “I’ll gladly pay you on Tuesday for a hamburger today.” ?

Is John Boehner going to become the nation’s Wimpy?

Or is Barak Obama more accurately cast in the Wimpy role?

fedex227
fedex227 12/29/12 - 10:35 pm
C'mon, cut the guy some slack ...

obviously they meant 'reefer-state.'