Drivers try to hit crossing turtles, SC study finds

Thursday, Dec. 27, 2012 7:31 AM
Last updated 6:49 PM

CLEMSON, S.C. — Clemson University student Nathan Weaver just wanted to put together a project to help figure out the best way to assist turtles in crossing the road.

But he also ended up with a peek into the dark souls of some human beings.

Weaver put realistic-looking rubber turtles, no bigger than a saucer, in the middle of a lane on a busy road near campus. Over the next hour, seven drivers intentionally ran over the turtle, and several more appeared to try to hit the defenseless animal, but missed.

Weaver was surprised, but seasoned researchers weren’t. The number of box turtles is on a slow decline, with one prominent reason being the riskiness of crossing the road when the trip takes several minutes.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/27/12 - 07:45 am
Dangerous Experiment

What if he had caused a wreck with someone trying to miss the rubber turtle?

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 12/27/12 - 08:27 am
Maybe the rubber turtle

Maybe the rubber turtle needed an armadillo as an escort?

JRC2024
JRC2024 12/27/12 - 08:42 am
I always pull off the road

I always pull off the road and help them across the road. How can someone be so heartless to a animal. They must be miserable. Most drivers will see that you are trying to help and slow down.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/27/12 - 09:32 am
I don't go to the extent of

I don't go to the extent of pulling over; but I do my best to dodge them. I figure if traffic is light enough for me to get him out of the road, he has time to make it.

Jane18
Jane18 12/27/12 - 09:48 am
Turtle Crossing..Be Careful

I, also, have stopped and removed turtles from a highway,especially down in S.E. Georgia. And on a busy highway, have straddled my automobile over the turtle or went to left or right of it. I know there may be circumstances where one might not can avoid running over the little creature, but, those times would have to be few and far between. Those that purposely killed and tried to kill something helpless are probably people that need a "can of whup-A@*" given to them. They are not nice people!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/27/12 - 10:51 am
I'm having a hard time

I'm having a hard time believing that many people are so cruel. I wonder if word leaked out about the project and people did it just to get "a rise" out of the researcher. Sheesh, I hope so.

Sweet son
Sweet son 12/27/12 - 11:39 am
Don't guess those who tried to hit the turtle were taught not

to run over ANYTHING in the road that you can safely avoid. My Dad gave me that piece of advice a long time ago and I taught it to my daughter when she started driving. Sick is the word to describe a person who would hit a defenseless animal. Funny would be the word to describe a flat tire as a result of this cruel act.

harley_52
harley_52 12/27/12 - 12:02 pm
The Point?

What is it?

Some people are....um....some type of "holes?"

Some people are mean?

I could have told Mr. Weaver that without a study.

What's the solution?

Turtle fences?

Turtle overhead, or underground, walkways?

I've heard of pointless, meaningless "studies" before, but this certainly fits that bill.

And is the really a "news" story?

C'mon....

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/27/12 - 01:47 pm
......on a busy road near campus...

this is why the study showed more running over the rubber turtles than werent. I have gotten out of my car to help a HUGE turtle cross the road and the whole time the bugger was trying to bite me,lol! Another driver saw my efforts and he stopped and helped. Not exactly top story, but thanks for the walk down memory lane! :)

omnomnom
omnomnom 12/27/12 - 01:49 pm
"Dangerous Experiment What

"Dangerous Experiment

What if he had caused a wreck with someone trying to miss the rubber turtle?"

First thing I was told by the car insurance guy... don't swerve or slam brakes to miss an animal (didn't say what to do if its a deer) you're more likely to lose control of your car or hit someone else

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 12/27/12 - 02:45 pm
I see how this works....

I see how this works.... everybody loves a rubber turtle.... but you bring an armadillo to the party and out come the haters.

David Parker
David Parker 12/27/12 - 03:04 pm
HAH, Gage that is good stuff.

HAH, Gage that is good stuff. I love it.

What I get from this experiment explains to me why the human race will eventually die out and cold-blooded animals and cockroaches will reign supreme.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/27/12 - 03:41 pm
Harley, it made the news

Harley, it made the news because of the WOW factor of that many people running down a turtle. As for the study? I agree, who cares....

harley_52
harley_52 12/27/12 - 03:43 pm
"What I get from this experiment...

....explains to me why the human race will eventually die out and cold-blooded animals and cockroaches will reign supreme."

Please explain how you could possibly draw that conclusion from the information presented.

You did notice, didn't you, that in this experiment members of the "human race" were the ones driving the vehicles (the "crushers")and "cold blooded animals" (or facsimiles) were the ones being crushed (the "crushees")?

Which survives that kind of encounter and which will "die out?"

harley_52
harley_52 12/27/12 - 03:58 pm
IAD...

I'm sure you're right, but I just can't see any "wow" there.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 12/27/12 - 04:20 pm
I predict a Touchy-Feely, EPA approved, Environmental friendly,

GREEN Project that is Federally funded for Multimillion $$$.

A Box Turtle Crossing solution soon to be announced after a $$$,$$$.00 research grant to further study the problem.

FACT:
Box Turtles return to where their eggs hatched.

HINT: Move the eggs to another location (the safe side of the road) and let them hatch there. After 5 years and 5 generations well you know the sensible and logical rest of the story.

David Parker
David Parker 12/27/12 - 04:30 pm
Any species that would kill

Any species that would kill for the sake of nothing cannot be prepared for the long haul. Humans are far too audacious about their existence to be seriously considered for permanence. I knew this before reading the article though. It just illustrated my understand. Harley, you have to look deeper to really comprehend this concept. The ability to "crush" another living thing doesn't equate to adaptive or durable traits.

Wickedly ironical no?

harley_52
harley_52 12/27/12 - 04:34 pm
"Wickedly ironical no?"

No, "ironical" is not the word I'd choose.

"Nonsensical" would be a better choice, IMHO.

harley_52
harley_52 12/27/12 - 04:39 pm
"After 5 years and 5 generations....

....well you know the sensible and logical rest of the story."

Yep. The story is all to predictable. Once the turtles get used to the new nest, the effin' humans will build a new road and the slaughter will begin anew.

I don't know why humans refuse to reorient their lives based upon the nesting habits of box turtles. Or, spotted owls. Or, snail darters. Or, fruit flies. We're all natural born killers and because of it we will surely perish from the earth, leaving the creatures free to fend for themselves. Yes, these same creatures that aren't smart enough to stay off busy roads......

Connor Threlkeld
Connor Threlkeld 12/27/12 - 06:28 pm
How bad would that guy feel

How bad would that guy feel if a car swerved to avoid a rubber turtle and ended up hitting a real turtle?

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/27/12 - 08:47 pm
Hey, now wait a minute all

Hey, now wait a minute all you thumbs downers on my question. I have turtles all over my yard coming up from the river to lay their eggs in the spring. It's an amazing sight. Crows fly over waiting so they can eat the eggs. I even try to hide the eggs under some sand now and then. I'm a sucker just like y'all for a slow moving turtle. But did you know GA DNR considers most freshwater turtles a nuisance with no limit or regulation on their killing....same as killing cock roaches.

David Parker
David Parker 12/28/12 - 08:24 am
"We are going to live

"We are going to live forever" said a Velociraptor never.

Who's being nonsensical again?

Venue change sought in Aiken police slaying

Judge Clifton Newman told attorneys for Stephon Carter that a motion to move the venue or select jurors outside Aiken County was premature. Carter is accused of killing Public Safety Officer ...