Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

GLYNN MOORE’S Dec. 17 column in The Augusta Chronicle expressed what I have felt for many years. I wish we could return Christmas to what it once was and what it is supposed to be. We could if more people got behind the movement.

I LOST A BORROWED $400 camera at the dollar store. They found it and turned it over to the Columbia County police. Deputy Fuller took the time to check the pictures and found one of my license plate taken after a bumper mishap in the Kroger parking lot. He took time to deliver it to me, saving not only money but photos that could never be replaced and a friendship that had some cracks in it from my carelessness. How good is God and humanity to go from an accident, to a lost possession and a hurt relationship, to an honest store, to a dedicated professional and back to me!

WHAT A WONDERFUL story about the dogs relieving the exam stress of students at ASU. There is no doubt that dogs provide therapy, and their presence provides a lot of joy. Kudos to Therapy Dogs Inc.!

RAVES TO THE Augusta Figure Skating Club for its Christmas Performance. The skating performances were absolutely beautiful and touching. What an extraordinary group of skaters. How awesome that Augusta has this facility and the opportunities that it provides for those wanting to learn to figure skate.

ALL THE CHRISTMAS decorations in our town are so beautiful, but I really would like to thank the people who have all the lights on Warren Road. Your house is awesome, and the Christmas lights are just beautiful.

“PEACE ON EARTH, goodwill to men” was truly shown at Master Buick on Washington Road on Dec. 10. The service manager was very helpful and, when I went to pay my bill, a generous person had already paid 25 percent of it.

RAVES TO AQUINAS HIGH SCHOOL for the treat of the season. Your production of Yes, Virginia, There Is a Santa Claus brought much joy. The Santa Claus costumes were so very beautiful and unique, and the acting and singing were great. To the cast and director – thank you and may God continue to bless your talents.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 12/24/12 - 07:56 pm
Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas

rebellious
rebellious 12/25/12 - 02:30 am
What a Great Day of R&Rs

How fitting that on the day we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, all of the Rants and Raves are positive, well wishing or thankful, and totally uplifting.

Who am I to break that cycle?

I am winding down from a glorious evening with all of my kids, spouses and Grandkids. God has been so good to me and mine, words can not express my gratitude. The greatest thing He has done for me, though, was a plan for salvation and reconciliation to Him. The birth of His Son into a human body started the process for Jesus to become the sinless man, God incarnate, who was sacrificed to pay the price for my sin, once and for all.

I encourage all of you who haven't accepted this gift of grace to ask someone about this Messiah.

Merry Christmas all and Thank You, God!

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/25/12 - 06:30 am
9th Commandment Is Not Enforced This Year

The thing is Christmas was celebrated by many Sunday and I can't get too excited about today. Since we all know it's a made-up date because no one knows the real date, I think most have Christmas on the Sunday when it falls like this. Doesn't this feel weird?

I'd have given the lil kids gifts last Sunday and I'd give um again today. What the heck, it's fun watching them act like capitalist pigs on dividends day opening their presents. The 9th Commandment is not enforced when the calendar is like this. If you called in sick yesterday, it doesn't count as a sin.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/25/12 - 05:41 am
The House With the Prettiest Christmas Lights

I know where that is. (Thought I had forgotten...huh?)

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/25/12 - 06:44 am
JTF, Clemson over LSU

Okay, I know I should never pick an ACC team over an SEC one, but this is different. And I do realize how good LSU is with their strong win over South Carolina. The key to this is bowl games have gotten to be common place with teams and players rebelling in ways against another month of practice and another game. We have seen many teams having problems with their players after the regular season this year.

So LSU is down, similar to UGA, but Clemson is going to be playing up. They play a well known SEC team and they sorely remember last year's Orange Bowl when West Virginia embarrassed them. I'll take the Tigers a short bus ride down the road to Atlanta.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 12/25/12 - 07:45 am
Rave

Here's a rave for a house in Hampton's Ferry. My friend and I drove through there last night checking out the Christmas lights on the way home from the family events. It had one thing I hadn't seen before and quite unique and I actually had to stop and just watch for a while. Among the normal decorations, in one window was either a television or computer screen with a video of Santa inside. Was pretty cool driving by and seeing Santa in your house!!! If there would have been a contest, I would vote for you!!!! -This is the house where the garage is designed to look like a big red barn.

etlinks
etlinks 12/25/12 - 07:48 am
Merry Christmas everyone!

Merry Christmas everyone!

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/25/12 - 07:56 am

Thank you for your post Rebellious and may you and yours have a very Blessed Christmas.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/25/12 - 08:03 am
A blessed Christmas to all,

A blessed Christmas to all, expecially the red thumbers ; may their hearts be lighter for at least today.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/25/12 - 08:09 am
Christmas Cheer

'Twas the Night After Christmas
'Twas the night after Christmas and all through the trailer, the beer had gone flat and the pizza was staler. The tube socks hung empty, no candies or toys and I was camped out on my old Lay-Z-Boy.

The kids they weren't talking to me or my wife, the worst Christmas they said they had had in their lives. My wife couldn't argue and neither could I, so I watched TV and my wife, she just cried.

When out in the yard the dog started barkin', I stood up and looked and I saw Sheriff Larkin. He yelled, "Roy I am sworn to uphold the laws and I got a complaint here from a feller named Claus."

I said, "Claus, I don't know nobody named Claus, and you ain't taking me in without probable cause." Then the Sheriff he said, "The man was shot at last night." I said, "That might have been me, just what's he look like."

The Sheriff replied, "Well he's a jolly old feller, with a big beer gut belly, that shakes when he laughs like a bowl full of jelly. He sports a long beard, and a nose like a cherry." I said, "Sheriff that sounds like my wife's sister Sherri."

"It's no time for jokes Roy" the Sheriff he said. "The man I'm describing in dressed all in red. I'm here for the truth now, it's time to come clean. Tell me what you've done, tell me what you've seen."

Well I started to lie then I thought what the hell, it wouldn't have been the first time that I've spent New Years in jail. I said, "Sheriff it happened last night about ten, and I thought that my wife had been drinking again."

When she walked in from work she was as white as a ghost. I thought maybe she had seen one of them UFO's. But she said that a bunch of deer had just flown over her head, and stopped on the roof of our good neighbour Red.

Well I ran outside to look and the sight made me shudder, a freezer full of venison standing right on Red's gutter. Well my hands were a shakin' as I grabbed my gun, when outta Red's chimney this feller did run.

And slung on his back was this bag over flowin'. I thought he stolen Red's stuff while old Red was out bowling'. So I yelled, "Drop fat boy, hands in the air!" But he went about his business like he hadn't a care.

So I popped a warning shot over his head. Well he dropped that bag and he jumped in that sled. And as he flew off I heard him extort, "That's assault with intent Roy, I'll see ya in court."

The above document was written by Jeff Foxworthy.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/25/12 - 08:13 am
I try but fall short....

It is so hard to match the greats on here....Rebel & Riverman....sigh...

one day...maybe one day.....maybe

Merry Christmas :)

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/25/12 - 08:53 am
A little Christmas joke...

oh ho ho ho....

Three men die in a car accident Christmas Eve. They all find themselves at the pearly gates waiting to enter Heaven. On entering they must present something "Christmassy". The first man searches his pocket, and finds some Mistletoe, so he is allowed in. The second man presents a cracker, so he is also allowed in. The third man pulls out a pair of panties. Confused at this last gesture, St. Peter asks, "How do these represent Christmas?" The third man answered "They're Carol's."

eagle
eagle 12/25/12 - 10:08 am
Merry Christmas everyone!!

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Tullie
Tullie 12/25/12 - 10:29 am
riverman said:

No, the important thing is that Jesus was born, the Word come to earth in the likeness of man.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/25/12 - 11:01 am
I don't think it's a made up

I don't think it's a made up date...it's December 25th every year, the date we celebrate Christ birth (whether it's actually the date He was born or not) Just like we celebrate Thanksgiving on the 4th Thursday of November every year. I'm sure that wasn't the exact date the pilgrims had the first Thanksgiving but it's when we observe the event.

I'd have to disagree that most celebrate Christmas on the Sunday when the date falls close to Sunday.......I'm sure there are millions of families right now sitting around the living room or den watching children play with a toy, celebrating whatever Christmas means to them....whether it's the birth of Christ, being with family, or enjoying a day to get to sleep in.

Jake
Jake 12/25/12 - 11:15 am
Holiday Greetings

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to each and everyone who happens to read this. Today is a perfect day to be with family, friends and loved ones. Let us keep those who are alone today in our thoughts and prayers.

soapy_725
soapy_725 12/25/12 - 11:33 am
Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year !!

Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year !!

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 12/25/12 - 11:35 am
By Special Request

To All My Democratic Friends:
Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religiou...s/secular persuasion and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all. I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2013, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make America great. Not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country nor the only America in the Western Hemisphere. Also, this wish is made without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wish.

To My Republican Friends:
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year in the year of our Lord Jesus Christ

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/25/12 - 11:49 am
Seenit:

I know you likes some Bailey's.... Try this one. Equal parts Bailey's, Premium Vodka, Kahlua, and Grand Marnier. Mix with ice in a collins glass, or shake with ice and pour into shooter glasses if you are doing a round of toasts.

It is called a 727 if you order one out.

harley_52
harley_52 12/25/12 - 01:23 pm
I Appreciate The Headline...

....of today's Augusta Chronicle.

"Merry Christmas," not "Happy Holidays" as is the headline in many other (liberal controlled) newspapers which is, sadly, most of the big ones.

Anyway....thanks AC for remembering what today really is and for having the courage and the good sense to say it so boldly.

YeCats
12026
YeCats 12/25/12 - 01:48 pm
Just a moment, to wish

Just a moment, to wish everyone Merry Christmas!

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/25/12 - 04:44 pm
anotherday..

Thanks....I think a 727 will be in my future...:)

MCG student, class buy kids' books for Ferguson library

Three weeks after the Missouri grand jury indictment verdict, Ashee Nicole Sharer created a Ferguson wish list on BarnesAndNoble.com, urging classmates to purchase a book for the Ferguson ...