Rants & Raves

WHAT IS A THINK TANK? Where does one find the door?

FORTY NONPROFITS received money from the Community Foundation. Do we really need 40 (or more) nonprofits operating in our little pond of a town? If four or five large nonprofits were to operate, they could get more done in less time.

AM I THE ONLY ONE who noticed on the front page of The Chronicle that the University Hospital physician’s assistant while touching and examining the patient did not have on protective gloves?

PLEASE BRING Hardee’s to south Augusta. I love Har­dee’s, but I have to drive all the way to Evans.

I AGREE ABOUT OUR health care. I had an ambulance take me to the hospital, which is about a two-minute ride, and it cost me $600. I am 88 years old, and I had to pay that after insurance and Medicare paid. It definitely needs an overhaul.

DISTRICT 6 HAS BEEN greatly neglected by Com­mis­sioner Joe Jack­son. Be assured that the residents will never support anything being named in his honor.

IF THE COMMISSIONERS want to raise taxes on something, why don’t they leave the gas tax alone and raise taxes on the whiskey and drugs?

CODE ENFORCEMENT is slack in Augusta. By slack, I mean there is none. Just look around you. Cardboard signs all over the place, overgrown yards, old cars littering yards. But they tell me they will not do anything without a correct name and address for the culprit. Why should I do their job for them?

I GOT UP THIS morning feeling depressed. I have already lost one good doctor because he will not take Medicare. Then I heard Herman Cain on the radio say, “Stupid people are ruining Amer­ica.” That removed some of my depression. I love Herman Cain.

THE LOCAL BRANCH of the Social Security office in Augusta is so nasty to people. If you have had problems, e-mail the governor and let him know you are not being treated right.

GEN. MEIGS WAS a scoundrel and a thief. He took Gen. Lee’s wife’s plantation and as an afterthought built a cemetery and even called it Arlington after her old homeplace.

WHY DO SO MANY single women have so many children without fathers? Didn’t they have fathers to start with?

Comments from readers:

whyme
whyme 12/23/12 - 11:05 pm
no gloves

Medical personnel-PAs, doctors, nurses, etc.-don't always wear gloves depending on the exam. They are a must for handling wounds, drawing blood, suturing, etc. However, during a simple exam, there is nothing wrong with touching the patient without them. In fact, you can often feel abnormalities better without them and some patients also prefer to feel that they aren't "untouchable" just because they are homeless, for example. It is imperative, however, that all medical staff wash their hands before and after exams and clean their stethoscopes/other equipment between patients, something that will prevent the spread of infection. Now if we can just find a way to have those working in our offices to look at us more and at the computers less!!!

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 12/24/12 - 01:49 am
Answer to last question- the

Answer to last question- the government will support them.

omnomnom
omnomnom 12/24/12 - 03:00 am
Cardboard signs all over the place

Cardboard signs all over the place <- NOT AGAINST LOCAL CODE

Perhaps a merry mischief maker should pick up a few dozen of the cheap mattress / i buy ugly houses / real virgin hair right of way advertising and put it in front of the municipal building.
Or, you know, call a commissioner. Ranting and Raving is not as good as TAKING ACTION

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/24/12 - 06:02 am
Merry Christmas to all

Thanks for all the fun shared on here this year.....many mornings I have chuckled all day after reading the funnies on here....some can be real comics.....lots of love shared & yes even with the ones we disagree with at times......the love amazes me.....

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/24/12 - 08:13 am
General Meigs Statue

This, turncoat, General Meigs’ statue controversy is growing. Fred Russell is one of the culprits in the photo at its unveiling. He’s from Virginia. Didn’t he know better? Don’t answer that. In thinking about what could be done, I’m reminded of the attempt to steal Osceola’s bones from Charleston’s Fort Moultrie where he is buried and take them to Florida.

That attempt failed, but getting rid of Meigs should be easy enough. We can organize a unit of volunteers and commandeer a flat belly wagon or pick-up in a Mosby’s Raiders type operation. We can drag that statue down Broad St. and out to the dump. When we find where he lived in Augusta, we should accidentally put it on a list of houses to be demolished by the city. After that’s done we’ll drop bags of salt and gallons of that stuff Monte Santo makes right here in Augusta over the land so nothing will ever grow there again.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/24/12 - 08:21 am
Ditto SeenIt's 8:04 Merry Christmas

And to all a Happy New Year.

dhpsmp
dhpsmp 12/24/12 - 09:11 am
Martinez Walmart

A person was groping a woman in the Walmart store and then left the area. The store manager refused to let the Policemen view security camera tapes to help identify the suspect. They were told that they could not look at the film without a court order. I think that the next time the manager calls the police for help with a shoplifter, they should be told the same thing.

JRC2024
JRC2024 12/24/12 - 09:17 am
THE LOCAL BRANCH of the

NOT TRUE. I HAVE BEEN THERE AT LEAST 4 TIMES AND THEY ARE ALWAYS VERY NICE AND RESPECTFUL. Maybe you were rude and disrespectful to them or did not like the answer they gave you. Were you trying to get more money?

Happy New Year and Merry Christmas to everyone.

dichotomy
dichotomy 12/24/12 - 09:41 am
"WHY DO SO MANY single women

"WHY DO SO MANY single women have so many children without fathers?"

Because we pay them to and give them a free ride. And then we give the babies a free ride, cradle to grave. Cut out the welfare and watch the spawn rate drop. Right now what we have is basically a state sponsored breeding program. It's like having a hog farm and keeping all the piglets for pets. Pretty soon the price of feed runs you out of business.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/24/12 - 09:46 am
INRE Gloves

Whyme has it exactly right. My doctor does not wear gloves during a general exam, he just washes up before and after. Someone with tiny or deep veins may find the phlebotomist degloving while locating a vein.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/24/12 - 09:56 am
@ Dichotomy's 0941

And the "children" create a third rail that is untouchable, so the problem perpetuates.

I still say the best solution is to refuse public assistance if the mother won't name the father. DNA test him at public expense (an investment returned many times over), then hold his sorry Johnny Appleseed behind accountable. Some would skip town, disappear,etc. ; but I GUARANTEE you the birth rates would drop like a stone. The other payoff is you have a DNA database of deadbeats to compare in criminal cases.

bubbasauce
bubbasauce 12/24/12 - 10:13 am
Another great answer

Another great answer Dichotomy. From now on I don't have to leave comments, because me and you think exactly the same! To itsanotherdays post, well said also.

daphne3520
daphne3520 12/24/12 - 10:14 am
Next to last Rant: Happy Holidays to YOU and yours and,

I suppose there were NO "scoundrels, and thieves," on YOUR side?

junkyardpig
junkyardpig 12/24/12 - 10:16 am
welfare system

we reward those who plan on a life of doing nothing. we give them free food. food stamps are used to purchase items that are not good for children. cookies, candy, soft drinks. I knew a few people who got food stamps and watched their buying habits. their kids were obese and very un healthy. they grew up enduring legal problems. they didnt finish school. their parents had enough money for alcohol and drugs but not for items that are necessary. we give them free housing which turns out to be projects with high crime. then they protest about having to take drug tests in order to get free handouts. middle class families have to struggle to survive while the moochers get praised and rewarded for doing nothing. what happened to the be the best you can be attitude. these welfare people make babies to get money. they should be castrated and fixed. richmond county schools are a disaster. the europeans, asians, south americans and arabs have all came to this country and spent a little time on the welfare roles. they all now work or own businesses. whites and blacks seem to live on it for generations passing in on to their next of kins when they die. what a crock of $$#W^@$

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 12/24/12 - 10:16 am
RE: Not-Profits.....

....Augusta is fifth largest city per capita for non-profits that serve homeless...
While some actually do serve I know personally of two non-profits"whose "directors" live in very VERY nice neighborhoods and rarely IF EVER actually do the work....to them it's a way to have access to their "clients" checks each month......

daphne3520
daphne3520 12/24/12 - 10:21 am
And, hey, AC!!!!! HOW LONG

is the front page of the Online Edition going to carry the nothice that "Veterans Tax Refunds," are going to be mailed Monday? It's been there for TWO weeks already!

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/24/12 - 11:18 am
Cost of Arming School Officials Minimal

I don't buy for one minute that it's cost prohibitive to arm some school personel. First off, if a school uses a safety officer and he is a duly certified police officer, he should carry a gun. In counties where they can't afford a safety officer, select educators or other personel who desire to be armed, and volunteer, should be given a course and armed. You won't even have to pay them.

Israel arms at least 3 teachers in every school. This thing about it costing billions is a scare tactic. Also, we now have air marshalls and that program seems to work well.

kmb413
kmb413 12/24/12 - 11:29 am
Single Women

I am a single mother and work very hard to support my family. I get angry at the ones that sit home and live off my taxes. There are programs to help them get an education, find jobs, support themselves. They are purely lazy. I get no child support.
My children are required by the custody agreement to see their dead beat dad even though he doesn't pay anything and they don't want to see him. When he calls, they don't want to talk to him and when I ask if they want to call him they say no. Sometimes I wonder if no father is better than that.

allhans
allhans 12/24/12 - 11:38 am
Didn’t they have fathers to

Didn’t they have fathers to start with?....
Sure they did....But who?(or which one)
-----------
Merry CHRISTMAS to ALLl!
what a great time of the year.

Sweet son
Sweet son 12/24/12 - 11:45 am
Hey George!

Where are you?

rebellious
rebellious 12/24/12 - 12:20 pm
Merry Christmas To All

Rumors of my departure have been greatly exaggerated.

George may leave, but there is a little bit of him in the posters left here.

Oh and I bet, like a coach ejected from a game, he is reading our posts. Come on George, don't deprive us of your perspective.

It would be nice to see some features added, Mr. Moores.

Gotta go now. The pitter patter of little feet fill the house. The 2 year old greeted me yesterday saying (loudly I might add) "PeePaw, you got presents?" What a great time of year.

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 12/24/12 - 01:18 pm
kmb413, have you tried child

kmb413, have you tried child support recovery? They can take up to a year but if you don't have a court ordered support, you'll never collect. You should encourage them to speak to their father. They should love him because he is their dad. If he's that horrible, they will find this out on their own. If he was such a deadbeat, why did you have more than one?

WalterBradfordCannon
WalterBradfordCannon 12/24/12 - 01:19 pm
Riverman1, did the armed

Riverman1, did the armed guard at Columbine help? And with respect to our airlines, we SHOULD learn from them. The cockpit is sealed and inpenetrable from the plane now, and planes are essentially unhijackable. If you put secure doors in place of current school doors, the same solution would work without causing an increase in personnel costs. There is simply too much evidence that placing guns in the workplace, or elsewhere, will not stop such attacks. Other reasonable security measures, however, can.

happychimer
19537
happychimer 12/24/12 - 01:41 pm
Just because a judge orders

Just because a judge orders child support does not mean a dead deat dad will pay child support.

happychimer
19537
happychimer 12/24/12 - 01:49 pm
Puppy I know a dead beat dad

Puppy I know a dead beat dad who ran for yrs to avoid being served court papers, and when he finally was served and appeared in court, he claimed he did not know about the child, which was a lie. he did a paternity test which proved he was the father.When the child was 8 years old, the judge order his father to pay child support. He pays a partial payment every 3 or 4 months.He saw his son a few times, but the son figured him out without anyone telling him.

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 12/24/12 - 01:54 pm
You are correct, happy

You are correct, happy chimer. Been there, done that. There is also personal responsibility. It didn't take me but 1 kid to figure things out. I'm not saying being a single mom is easy but sometimes you have to suck it up. I'm sure that I'm not the only person to know someone that has a kid, then has another one right after that, and then decides that he's not the right one so they split. Deadbeats come with warning signs.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/24/12 - 02:13 pm
WalterBC...Armed School Officials

I’m not against increased locked and secure doors, but let’s start with your statement that there’s too much evidence that placing guns in the workplace or elsewhere will not stop such attacks. What evidence?

The fact is banks arm guards, plus many public facilities such as hospitals have armed guards. Remember the MCG shootout where the prisoner was killed by the guards? It is simply illogical to think it’s not better to have a weapon when a murderer is on a rampage killing people. Israel arms 3 teachers in every school.

You are right that there was an armed guard at Columbine, but did you know he took two shots at the killers early on? With a little luck, the shooters could have been put down with his shots before the carnage. Do you know in 1999 a North Carolina armed teacher stopped and apprehended a school shooter after he had killed his mother at home, then at the school, two students while wounding several others? The teacher was an Army Reservist.

As far as armed Air Marshals not helping, all we know is that a combination of Marshals AND locked cockpit doors have prevented hijackings. Do you realize thousands of airline pilots ARE also currently armed in addition to the Air Marshals?

So I’ll end again with my question. Why is it cost prohibitive when volunteers and current school safety officers will be the ones armed?

soapy_725
soapy_725 12/24/12 - 02:30 pm
Cost can be offset by the non-essential

multitude of counselors, staffers, etc. in schools that are not involved in TEACHING or serving lunch. Likewise nurses could be in every school in the place of career counselors' salary. It is a mismanagement problem. Another government bureaucratic nightmare that ignore every concept of logic and efficiency. Logic and efficiency that would cost teacher union jobs.

soapy_725
soapy_725 12/24/12 - 02:30 pm
Throwing money at every school problem is not

an issue until it makes PERFECT SENSE to spent some money.