Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

STATE BUDGET CUTS force more layoffs at GHSU. Yet state funds were wasted on an ignored survey and are being wasted on an unnecessary lawsuit in order to satisfy greed, arrogance and egotism. How many more jobs will be lost?

MIKE BOOTH’S LETTER to the editor cites an excellent list of criteria that shows the advantages of hiring senior citizens. Unfortunately, not all seniors can meet the listed criteria, but it’s something that one could evaluate before hiring.

IF YOU PRAY for it and it happens, your prayer was answered. If you pray for it and it doesn’t happen, it’s God’s will. If everything is according to God’s omniscient will, what, then, is the point of prayer?

THE PLACEMENT OF a historical marker to a Yankee officer in Augusta is an example of our ridiculously “politically correct” society. This man seized Gen. Lee’s wife’s property in revenge for his service to the South. Are there markers to Confederate soldiers in the North? I doubt it.

PRESIDENT OBAMA said that there will be consequences if President Bashar al-Assad uses chemical weapons on his people. I wonder what these consequences will be? Probably he will just send a letter to Assad telling him to stop it. That’s what you call strong leadership.

FINALLY, GEORGIA Southern got on the front page of the sports section after advancing to the semifinals in the playoffs. GSU was on Page 7 while UGA dominated all the pages, even though the Bulldogs lost.

WHO’S FOOTING THE bill for the formal $150-per-person gala for the new sheriff? Better not be us taxpayers.

I’M GLAD THERE was a nice private fete to Sheriff Ronnie Strength. I just wish there was a nice public one that more of us could attend.

I CAN GET OVER the fact that Obama was re-elected; you have to get over the fact that my criticisms are due to a disagreement with hi philosophy and not due to racism.

Comments (97)

agrit
agrit 12/21/12 - 09:52 am

CobaltGeorge's Post -

“In my next life I want to live my life backwards. You start out dead and get that out of the way. Then you wake up in an old people's home feeling better every day. You get kicked out for being too healthy, go collect your pension, and then when you start work, you get a gold watch and a party on your first day. You work for 40 years until you're young enough to enjoy your retirement. You party, drink alcohol, and are generally promiscuous, then you are ready for high school. You then go to primary school, you become a kid, you play. You have no responsibilities, you become a baby until you are born. And then you spend your last 9 months floating in luxurious spa-like conditions with central heating and room service on tap, larger quarters every day and then Voila! You finish off as an orgasm!”

This made my day!!!! Thank you! :-)

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 12/21/12 - 09:57 am

B4

Why'd you have to go and put Tom on here - we need to change the subject fast!!! hahaha

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/21/12 - 09:57 am

a historical marker to a Yankee officer in Augusta.......

Honey, the war is over. You can come out and play now.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/21/12 - 10:00 am

agrit

To know CobaltGeorge is to love him....:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/21/12 - 10:02 am

Tom Jones

Lily...I so know what ya mean....just somehing about him...LOL

Now I have to make a big pot of chili for the man in this house.....seeyall later...

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/21/12 - 10:02 am

....criticisms are due to a disagreement with hi philosophy..

Some may find it surprising, republicans do tend to have a much higher education level then democrats. Coincidence, I think not.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 12/21/12 - 10:09 am

Dang those Mayans!!!

I knew they were wrong!
This is why I only trust in Crystal Balls!

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/21/12 - 10:11 am

Sorry CG.....it should have

Sorry CG.....it should have been SeenitB4's 6:26am comment. I was just waking up and the coffee hadn't kicked in yet. :)

Couldn't help but remember back as a child, we lived on a dirt road and my sister and I could only ride from one end of the yard to the next (right in front of the big bay window so mom could see us). At the end of the road was a huge hill with trees and the boy down the street asked if we want to come down and play cowboys and indians (hey it was better than doctor and nurse). Well we took off and wasn't long mom came looking for us in the car. Needless to say, we realize we were in deep do-do when mom told us to get on our bikes, get home and go to our room. Remember the whipping I got from my dad when he got home from work and don't remember getting our bikes back for a l-o-n-g time. Those were the good days!!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 12/21/12 - 10:11 am

Good morning all

Happy Winter Solstice everybody! The days start getting longer now! Rejoice!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/21/12 - 10:13 am

sfb

Don't count your chickens before they hatch. I think the Mayans didn't use daylight saving time...The day is not over with..yet..

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/21/12 - 10:16 am

sfb

Yes, those were the times that produce honorable, respectable and common sense Ladies & Gentleman.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 12/21/12 - 10:18 am

ICL

I've been blaming my fumble fingers, bad memory, and overall stupidity to "lack of enough coffee in me yet"and my wife is getting really tired of hearing it. In fact she told me not to touch anything or even try to communicate with her until I felt I was coffeed up enough.
I see I'm not alone. HAHAHAHA!!!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 12/21/12 - 10:20 am

CG

You're right! Do you think I have enough time to go to the post office before the end of days?

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 12/21/12 - 10:22 am

Whippin's

Shoot I got one as a kid that I'm still feelin'.
They were the good times and I sure miss being a youngun sometimes.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/21/12 - 10:23 am

sfb

I think so, but remember, there is a chance your package will NEVER be delivered.

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/21/12 - 10:33 am

Just beautiful!

This is the best thing I have read since....since.........since........I will get back to you if I find anything better than this!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 12/21/12 - 10:33 am

CG

You're right again. What's the use. I think I'll just kick back. I mean why should I wash the dishes? I'm never going to use them again.
Why go to the grocery store? I think I'll start smoking cigarettes. I mean how much can they hurt me in one day?
Why should I even pay my bills. I think I'll use my cash to start a fire in the fireplace.
Thanks for the tips CG!

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/21/12 - 10:34 am

Honestly Shrimp, I believe

Honestly Shrimp, I believe that whippin was the only one I can remember my Father ever giving me. Most times all he had to do was give me that "Look". Didn't seem like what we did was all that bad at the time but I guess it scared my mom so bad thinking two of her children were lost that a point needed to be made. You mind your momma!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 12/21/12 - 10:53 am

ICL

You speak the truth! When I think back my whippin's were for very minor things but I had been TOLD NOT TO do whatever it was I did.
I also know "The Look" of which you speak. Boy do I know it!

rebellious
rebellious 12/21/12 - 11:04 am

Tom Jones

Buys his socks in threes, not pairs!

Jane18
Jane18 12/21/12 - 11:18 am

R & R #3

Because it makes me feel better, feel good, feel wonderful! So, how are you feeling? Oh Wow! Just heard the Marine in Mexico is coming home, being released today,...a lot of prayers answered, don't you think?

Jane18
Jane18 12/21/12 - 11:34 am

George's Woody Allen Ditty

Hey George, the ending I always heard was, " ...and I would leave this world as a twinkle in my Daddy's eyes".

Jake
Jake 12/21/12 - 11:45 am

@shrimp 9:09

"One must not throw stones if one has Crystal Balls" (Old Gypsy proverb).

Jake
Jake 12/21/12 - 11:47 am

Woody Allen

Good one, CG, from one of my favorite comedians.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/21/12 - 11:55 am

Things Are Really Crazy

John Kerry threw his medals over the fence at the U.S. Capitol in protest of the Vietnam War and now he is going to be Secretary of State?

Jake
Jake 12/21/12 - 12:10 pm

Past

River, did you ever do anything in your past that would reflect negatively on your present? I feel a good story coming on.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/21/12 - 01:05 pm

RM

Real Sad isn't!

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/21/12 - 01:14 pm

Harley we were right...

WASHINGTON — The nation's largest gun-rights lobby is calling for armed police officers to be posted in every American school to stop the next killer "waiting in the wings."

The National Rifle Association broke its silence Friday on last week's shooting rampage at a Connecticut elementary school that left 26 children and staff dead.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/21/12 - 01:17 pm

Armed guards in school

Some won't understand this but I do 100%......the ONLY way our kids will be safe is to have protection.....the water is over the dam now...too many copycats just wanting to make a name & be famous for NOTHING..........if we don't do this we will lose more kids......they are sitting ducks for crazies....& this ole world is loaded with crazies....

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/21/12 - 01:18 pm

Rathers

I would rather have Kerry than Rice..