Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

STATE BUDGET CUTS force more layoffs at GHSU. Yet state funds were wasted on an ignored survey and are being wasted on an unnecessary lawsuit in order to satisfy greed, arrogance and egotism. How many more jobs will be lost?

MIKE BOOTH’S LETTER to the editor cites an excellent list of criteria that shows the advantages of hiring senior citizens. Unfortunately, not all seniors can meet the listed criteria, but it’s something that one could evaluate before hiring.

IF YOU PRAY for it and it happens, your prayer was answered. If you pray for it and it doesn’t happen, it’s God’s will. If everything is according to God’s omniscient will, what, then, is the point of prayer?

PRESIDENT OBAMA said that there will be consequences if President Bashar al-Assad uses chemical weapons on his people. I wonder what these consequences will be? Probably he will just send a letter to Assad telling him to stop it. That’s what you call strong leadership.

FINALLY, GEORGIA Southern got on the front page of the sports section after advancing to the semifinals in the playoffs. GSU was on Page 7 while UGA dominated all the pages, even though the Bulldogs lost.

WHO’S FOOTING THE bill for the formal $150-per-person gala for the new sheriff? Better not be us taxpayers.

I’M GLAD THERE was a nice private fete to Sheriff Ronnie Strength. I just wish there was a nice public one that more of us could attend.

I CAN GET OVER the fact that Obama was re-elected; you have to get over the fact that my criticisms are due to a disagreement with hi philosophy and not due to racism.

Comments (97)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/20/12 - 08:32 pm

@4 "I doubt it."

WRONG!

As a Genealogy buff and being a as far north Yankee, I know for a fact of 3 Confederate soldiers buried in Plattsburgh and Danamora, NY cemeteries.

Isn't grave stones down here in PC land considered as a Marker?

This comment is made with NO disrespect to those falling Americans.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/20/12 - 08:35 pm

@5

No, I think he will show strong leadership by sending him a copy of his Nobel Peace Prize..

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/20/12 - 08:38 pm

@7

Not by the tax payers but funds of speeding tickets collected from outsiders.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/20/12 - 08:51 pm

I Knew

I would get 3 points out of them 3. Thanks

GGpap
GGpap 12/20/12 - 10:51 pm

FAIR & BALANCED

#4

As an aside, the town of Glendive, Montana is divided by a main street. On one side of the divide, streets are named after confederate generals, on the other side they are named after federal officers.

I also know that confederate flags are displayed in MT in places one would least expect to see one (not talking about militia gathering spots). Once upon a time (20 years ago) one was even displayed in a school administrator's office.

Following the War between the States much of MT was settled by migrating confederate soldiers.

GGpap

GGpap
GGpap 12/20/12 - 10:58 pm

NOT A SEER, CG

#5

Wishful thinking, sir?

I think you will find your skill at predicting the future to be somewhat lacking.

I woud expect, at the very least, to see some of our drones circling Assad's bunker/s.

P.S. chalk me down for the positive (#1). and I never give negatives.

GGpap

GGpap
GGpap 12/20/12 - 11:05 pm

IMAGE, SIR, IMAGE......

The purpose of prayer...at least "public" prayer...is to be seen in "action" and admired by your friends and neighbors. And, of course, other gawkers just passing by.

Private prayer, on the other hand, is merely practice for the public prayer you hope to engage in.

GGpap

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/21/12 - 12:15 am

#2

I agree that sometimes seniors may not meet criteria; but consider people like me. I retired at 57 due to a good severance offer on a company buyout; and we had lived below our means all these years, enabling us to max 401K contributions. (you see why people like me are a tad upset at the prospects of taking from us to give to those who didn't prepare?)
I have people skills and management skills, but I couldn't even qualify for a Federal job as a forestry lab technician (reams of clinical laboratory experience- it is all the same at the end of the day). We have a lot to offer but no one wants to hire someone who is on the other side of the hill as far as working years left.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/21/12 - 12:19 am

#3

What does it matter to YOU? People's religious practices are none of your business providing they aren't thrusting it at you. I suppose at the same time you advocate leaving homosexuals to their own business? If so, you should do the same for people practicing their religious beliefs; again, as long as they are not directly in your face with it.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 12/21/12 - 03:51 am

Way to go CG

Here I come with Three more myself!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 12/21/12 - 05:44 am

Arlington House

"THE PLACEMENT OF a historical marker to a Yankee officer in Augusta is an example of our ridiculously “politically correct” society. This man seized Gen. Lee’s wife’s property in revenge for his service to the South. Are there markers to Confederate soldiers in the North? I doubt it."
    You are refering to Arlington House and yes it was siezed as a spoil of war. As far as markers for confederate soilders in the North- There are many. In Charleston there are many for both sides. It's more about history there instead of "Let's keep the war going on forever."

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/21/12 - 06:25 am

OMG

Did we have to hear about Krispy kreme trucks...I mean really....why didn't they just clean it up & stay quiet......uuugghh

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/21/12 - 06:27 am

Hiring seniors

excellent list of criteria that shows the advantages of hiring senior citizens.

Many good reasons to hire them....especially in the school system for extra protection & guidance...

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/21/12 - 06:30 am

The question is...

WHO’S FOOTING THE bill for the formal $150-per-person gala for the new sheriff

Who paid the bill for the Vegas trip...if there was a Vegas trip.......probably the same guy...

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 12/21/12 - 06:36 am

Why can't a

a typical Heinz 57 American disagree with President Obama's policies, without being called a racist right wing extremist?

BTW: National Socialism is Fascism, just read the 1930-45 history
or the 2008- ____ US History books

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/21/12 - 06:47 am

A new poster says this...

Honestly, I wanted to take my mom down to see the tree on the common, and I didnt think I could go without my sidearm. This is not the prescription for development.

Now this is exactly what we say on here & get knocked down for quoting these words.....we speak the truth & it doesn't mean we hate Augusta.....

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/21/12 - 07:00 am

A little advice for Roundtree

Get some dang white folks & put them in your pictures....up front & right away.....doncha know "nuthin"......geez..

Freddie woulda had black folk up front..

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/21/12 - 07:06 am

Hillary's "Concussion"

Hillary has given us a new political technique for government officials. Knock yourself in the head and say you can’t remember what happened. Maybe get a mule to kick you in the head if you have a lot to hide.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/21/12 - 07:10 am

A good mule...

Where can I find one?? :)

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/21/12 - 07:13 am

Roundtree's Swearing In

Yeah, it was pretty funny with the white cops watching the black crowd at Sheriff Roundtree's swearing in. Oh well, times change. The next swearing in one of the groups may have more of the other race. You guess which one.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/21/12 - 07:11 am

RM

At this point in time, I think a lot of government officials has been kick in the head!

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/21/12 - 07:11 am

Found this looking up memorials

Confederate Memorial
Lincoln Shields Recreation Area, West Alton, MO

In April of 2002, a new memorial containing the names of the of the Confederate prisoners who died of smallpox was dedicated. Located across the Mississippi River at the Lincoln Shields Recreation Area, any area of the Riverlands Environmental Demonstration Area managed by the Corps of Engineers. The area is named after a famous duel between Abraham Lincoln and a man named James Shields who was offended by what Lincoln and his wife had written in their "Rebecca" letters. The duel was called off after Shields realized Lincoln possessed a clear advantage because of his stature.

Dang I never knew Lincoln even thought of fighting in a duel.........

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/21/12 - 07:12 am

SeenIt, a good mule I don't

SeenIt, a good mule I don't know about, but I can line you up with some jack-asses.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/21/12 - 07:15 am

Lincoln Duel

Why would being tall give you an advantage in a duel? I've read they turned sideways when aiming to present a smaller target. Back then a wing shot often resulted in death due to infection.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/21/12 - 07:15 am

A Mexicano Sheriff...:)

Yep..I can see that in Gwinnett county too.....yeehaw....probably here B4 there...

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/21/12 - 07:16 am

funny RM

but I can line you up with some jack-asses.

I can find THEM all day long....I might even find a couple on here at times....LOL

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/21/12 - 07:21 am

Kicked in the Head

CGEE, remember in the western movies there was always a guy from Scandinavia who always sounded like he got kicked in the head by a mule. It would go like this:

A Norwegian fella wants a job, but the foreman won’t hire him until he passes a little math test.
Here is your first question, the foreman said. ’Without using numbers, represent the number 9.’
‘Without numbers?’ The Norwegian says, ‘Dat’s easy.’ and proceeds to draw three trees.
‘What’s this?’ the boss asks.
‘Vot! you got no brain? Tree and tree and tree make nine,’ says the Norwegian.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/21/12 - 07:26 am

Question...guys

Why is it that cowboy & indian movies didn't make killers out of our kids BUT movies/games tv--media seem to directly influence the kids of today......why?

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/21/12 - 07:30 am

Cowboy and Indian movies only

Cowboy and Indian movies only made me want to kidnap Indian girls as I ran around the yard using a broomstick for my horse.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/21/12 - 07:30 am

Prayer is not to change your

Prayer is not to change your outward circumstances but to change your inward situation. Many think prayer is asking when in fact prayer is also about thanking, praising, communicating with your Heavenly Father.

So the concept, if you ask and it happens, it's answered, and if you ask and it doesn't happen it's God's will, is so misunderstood. All prayers are answered. The purpose of prayer isn't to get things for ourselves but to get to know God.