Home   |   News   |   Sports   |   Business   |   Opinion   |   Things to Do   |   Blogs   |   Photos   |   Video

SC student arrested with weapons

Tuesday, Dec. 18, 2012 11:03 AM
Last updated 6:30 PM

EASLEY, S.C. — A 17-year-old student has been arrested after officials found a host of weapons in his car at Easley High School.

Police said another student told faculty members Monday morning that a student had a number of weapons in his vehicle.

Officers found a loaded .22-caliber handgun, two axes, a stun-gun, a razor blade knife, nine other knives, handcuffs and 200 rounds of ammunition.

The student is charged with possession of guns on school property.

Pickens school district spokesman John Eby says the student will be recommended for expulsion.

Eby says it appears the weapons were left in the car after being used for hunting and recreation. He says there is no indication the weapons were brought to school to harm anyone.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 12/18/12 - 12:20 pm
What sort of "recreation"

What sort of "recreation" explains the handcuffs? Maybe I don't want to know.

Rob Pavey
Rob Pavey 12/18/12 - 12:27 pm
hunting? I don't think so....

More like the tool kit of a serial killer - except he still needs duct tape.

YeCats
YeCats 12/18/12 - 01:39 pm
Squirrel hunting? Maybe so

Squirrel hunting? Maybe so with a rifle.

Wonder what kind of grades he makes. Sounds like a good catch, for the officials. Good job!

David Parker
David Parker 12/18/12 - 02:58 pm
Sidearm carried while hunting

Sidearm carried while hunting is not at all uncommon. Axes for a deer camp doesn't put me on alert. Stun-guns are rarely lethal and kids are fascinated with them. A "razor blade knife", we called them utility knife or an exacto. 9 knives are unecessary, but if you went through my garage, I'm sure I could beat that. 200 rounds of ammo. Sounds like a new unopened brick of bullets, you know, the little matchbook sized package. Now the hand-cuffs are tough to "explain", but w/o saying too much, i have a pair somewhere, but I couldn't find them to save my life. They just get found every few years and then lost again.

Collectively it would appear suspicious and I am suspicious, but looking at the surrounding circumstances should put things in perspective. It's still forbidden to possess the items on school grounds so expulsion/suspension are not inappropriate.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/18/12 - 03:02 pm
Charges

I imagine the authorities will quietly drop the charges.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/18/12 - 07:51 pm
LL

It all depends on the students past history, present attitude and school records.

KSL
122056
KSL 12/18/12 - 09:42 pm
Gun racks

While classmates had gun racks for hunting in their pickup trucks, they certainly were not armed with suspect weapons. And it is taboo now. He is suspect.

Casting_Fool
Casting_Fool 12/19/12 - 09:18 am
My question is, did he have a carry permit?

Q: May I carry at schools – K through 12?
A: No! However, a person with a Georgia Weapons License may carry a firearm while dropping off or picking up a student and also may keep a firearm in a motor vehicle while parked on campus.

Q: May I carry at technical schools and colleges?

I have 4 knives or bladed tools that I carry on my person every day, and many more various tools and knives in my work vehicle (at least 3 "razor knives" or box cutters.). Maybe a dozen or so. I don't remove them when I'm going to be on a campus, and I carry my handgun 24/7. Except for the handcuffs, nothing the young man had in the car sounded suspicious.

The police sometimes seem to list everything that they find in a search in the worse terms as possible, not sure why. Once saw an officer list a knife sharpener as a "sword" and blanks (starter gun ammo) as "rounds", go figure.

Would have been smarter for that student to leave that stuff at home, though.

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/19/12 - 09:39 am
The police sometimes seem to list everything that they find in..

A gun is a gun is a gun....200 rounds of ammunition is 200 rounds of ammunition is 200 rounds of ammunition....axes are axes are axes.... a stun gun is a stun gun is a stun gun. Worst way possible? These are pretty specific not at all sounding pupurposely deceitful. psychological evaluation better be in order.

jpmedic65
jpmedic65 12/19/12 - 05:12 pm
Most of the ammo was shotgun

Most of the ammo was shotgun ammo. It was a .22 LR pistol. But i can't explain the handcuffs.

Casting_Fool
Casting_Fool 12/20/12 - 03:01 am
100 rounds of blanks are just

100 rounds of blanks are just that, blanks, noise makers. Actual ammo like our young man's is nothing unless it's loaded in a weapon. Until then it's just a paper weight in a small box.

And what does a loaded .22 caliber pistol have to do with shot gun ammo? If it's true that most of the ammo was for a shot gun, and there was no shot gun in the car, then why not tell exactly what they found in the article instead of making it sound as if the kid had 200 rounds of .22 caliber ammo?

It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

Clemson, Auburn play 2016-17

Clemson and Auburn have scheduled a home-and-home football series for the 2016 and 2017 seasons, the schools announced Wednesday.