Rants & Raves

WHAT’S WITH ALL of the tacky homemade signs posted at intersections? Can these businesses not afford to market their wares any better? Queen mattress sets, home washing, yard work, shelled pecans; the list goes on and on. Is there not an ordinance against them? And take down the yard sale signs after the sale!

STOP RANTING ABOUT Dr. Azziz and switch your rants to Republican Govs. Perdue and Nathan Deal, who started this and who will finish it by paying Azziz probably a million dollars in severance pay in about a year.

I READ IN The Chronicle about public input concerning traffic control. The people at traffic control do not want public input. I personally reported a traffic hazard where someone could possibly be hurt or killed, and it was three months before any corrective action was taken, and then it was only a Band-Aid fix.

RANT FOR CONGRESS­MEN; let’s put them on Medi­care and Social Se­curity. They are talking about cutting me a raise. I’m getting $21,000 this year. Let’s see them try to live on $1,400 a month. It is all I can do to buy my medicine and eat regularly. Those guys are all a bunch of crooks. They ought to kick them all out or make them go on Social Security and Medicare like the rest of us.

THERE WAS A BAD wreck right at the corner of Willis Forman Road and U.S. Highway 1. I counted 18 deputies there standing around not doing anything but drawing money. They should be up the road directing people how to get out of here. I’m glad we have a new sheriff in town because I believe he will straighten out this mess.

THE RANTER WHO is concerned about who is supplier of the free turkeys should volunteer to participate in the event. The ranter can then become enlightened in two ways: first by getting the name off the delivery truck, and second by realizing that where the turkeys are going is much more important than where they came from.

I KNOW TEACHERS now who have been teaching for nearly 10 years and they still can’t pay for the mortgages on their houses. What do you want the teachers to do, starve to death? They need more money to take care of your unruly kids and to baby-sit them when you are out playing around.

BLYTHE DOESN’T NEED a library. Shouldn’t we first have sufficient sidewalks and roads? We need Brent Weir to run for mayor to straighten things out.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/15/12 - 09:27 pm
Concert

I went to the Suzy Bogguss concert at the Imperial Theatre Friday night. It was a good turnout and a great concert. On yesterday's Rants & Raves I posted the part where Ms. Bogguss was setting up a song and told us she, her husband, and her son (a senior in high school) were getting ready to settle in on a college (or university) to attend next year.

Does anybody else care to post the rest of the story here?

countyman
20585
countyman 12/15/12 - 11:58 pm
Multiple amenities

Little Lamb. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed one of the many amenities in the growing and vibrant CBD. The phase 1 of the $1.3 million($850k in grants) streetscape project for James Brown Boulevard/9th street is right around the corner, and will only help out with the attractiveness.

More proof the CBD is one of the richest, and most desirable places to live/work/play in the metro. Another restaurant is coming downtown along with meeting space. The property is the former WAGT building at 905 Broad street.

countyman
20585
countyman 12/15/12 - 11:59 pm
Broad street = destination

Broad street is doing very well in terms of attracting private investors. All of the following developments centered on Broad are either recently opened, about to open, or under construction except the Holiday Inn Express(begins soon)...

Eros Bistro, Whiskey Bar Kitchen, Bath Fitter at 1255 Broad, Psychotronic at 586 Broad, Downtown Saloon, Regency Inn becoming Holiday Inn Express, 901 Broad=9 apts/4,300 sq. ft. of commercial, Farmhaus Burgers/12 apts, Sprint Food & Metro Market next to the Common, The Club House at 816 Broad, etc..

JB Whites = 34 new condos(51 total), Johnson building= 13 apts, 901 Broad= 9 apts, 967 Broad street= 4 apts and 1204 Broad= 12 apts....

While the CBD might not catch up to Forest Hills, Aiken, Evans, West Augusta, or Summerville right now. Before long(less 2-3 years) the area will surpass Martinez in terms of avg real estate prices. The GGHF site(student housing, research building, performing arts center), TEE center, former watermark property, and the renovated Fort Discovery property(Discovery Plaza: potentially hundreds of jobs)..

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/16/12 - 12:51 am
Auditorium

It is interesting, countyman, that you would float the trial balloon that the medical college would want to build a performing arts center on the former Gardens and Golf Hall of Fame property. That would be truly absurd considering that the future Grooo continues to have an outstanding concert hall on the Summerville (aka Arsenal) campus and that the Imperial and the Miller theaters are mere blocks away. Downtown, with two performing arts theaters (Imperial and Miller) does not need another.

countyman
20585
countyman 12/16/12 - 01:53 am
Performing arts center= future reality

Dr. Azziz already mentioned the idea of the performing arts center. Augusta is now going through a $100 million arts campaign. The one thing I do like about Dr. Azziz is he realizes Augusta is competing against it's peers(Charleston, Savannah, Chattanooga, Columbia, Greenville, etc). While a few people on the Chronicle try to make people believe Augusta is competing against it's suburbs which is laughable, but in reality that's not the case.

I think you should visit Greenville, and take a trip to the Peace Center. Even cities like Jackson, MS & Columbus, GA both have performing arts centers downtown.

Augusta ranked 2nd in the US in terms of high tech growth from 2006-2011. The city ranked 12th in 2011, and even more high paying jobs will be announced in 2013(specifically South Augusta). The new Technology facility(renovation of the former Chamber of Commerce on Broad street; $100k from the city, $200k from Starbucks, $100k from private investors)is great, because it's based on the future of Augusta.

The jobs are only one part of the equation, and the future entertainment district(performing arts center, imperial, miller, le chat, etc) is another piece to the puzzle.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/16/12 - 07:39 am
Why Is It

everyday it get harder to say "Good Morning America?"

I haven't been able to make a one liner coherent sentance since Friday. I just can't find appropriate words to use.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/16/12 - 07:51 am
Unhappy Teachers

The person concerned about teachers not being able to pay their mortgages should realize Georgia teachers are paid well above the national average for teacher salaries. In addition, their salaries are much greater than the income of the average Georgian who is paying taxes for those salaries. If the kids in a class are unruly and the teacher feels all she does is baby sit, the teacher should examine her teaching methods, attitude and aptitude for the profession.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/16/12 - 07:51 am
LL, realize Azziz doesn't

LL, realize Azziz doesn't have a clue what facilities Augusta has, its needs or desires. If it were up to me, I'd put gated student housing at the GGHOF with a fence around it to keep the local riffraff out.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/16/12 - 12:46 pm

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/16/12 - 08:37 am
About Blythe Not Needing a Library

No community needs a library with the electronic means we have today to read books. If you want to save mega sums that are currently spent on brick and mortar libraries and staffs while at the same time increasing those who use the library ten fold by my conservative estimate, create public electronic libraries.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/16/12 - 08:55 am
A very kind man

I talked to someone who worked with the man shot & killed in HIS home on Willis Foreman Rd-----They worked nights together at SRS a few years back,......after the death many called her & text her because they knew how much she liked & admired this sweet guy......she said he was a dedicated worker & it was a joy to work with him....we forget the victims so fast..I just wanted folks to know he will be missed..

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/16/12 - 08:59 am
The rant said this...

We will be watching .....I hope he can make a difference...

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/16/12 - 09:10 am
SeenIt

I went into the snackbar at work Friday and a housekeeper was talking about the murder on Willis Foreman Rd. I asked her if she knew the victim and she told me she lived within sight of his house. She knew him and said he was a very nice man.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/16/12 - 09:44 am
Yes that was harsh

But putting bullets in 4 & 5 year olds is harsh too...doncha think!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/16/12 - 09:53 am
Just wondering River

About the Blythe Library......sometimes a library is a safe quiet place for some kids to study.....to just get away from the craziness at their home...& too I wonder how safe would any computer be in some areas of south Augusta....

countyman
20585
countyman 12/16/12 - 10:48 am
Builld a fence around the

Builld a fence around the GGHF site lol??? Luckily, the GGHF site will be developed by people without biases against Richmond County.

The fence should be the response in places like Martinez where new low income housing is going. There's no low income housing being built in the CBD...

I'm positive Dr. Azziz like the majority of Richmond County residents want a performing arts center.

I think the number would be around 65% to 75% of people in favor of one.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/16/12 - 11:21 am
Peace Center?

I was just there two weeks ago to see Joe Bonamassa. I couldn't help but note how bright and vibrant the downtown streets of Greenville appeared, and how dark, rundown, and shabby the streets of Augusta are.
Friday night, we went to the Imperial. We parked close to the Imperial and walked up to Nacho Mama's for a bite before the show. As we walked back, we met a person or two in hoodies and it struck me that we could get mugged and no one would see it because it was so dimly lit. Then there are the cracked and crumbling sidewalks speckled with 50 years of discarded chewing gum.... Shabby looking for sure.

If Greenville and Charleston are what we are competing against, I will be long dead before we even begin to look like them. Considering the changing demographics, my grandchildren will be dead too; in other words, not a snowballs chance of turing downtown Augusta into a downtown Greenville.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/16/12 - 11:25 am
Countyman

If I'm wrong, I will eat the biggest plate of crow you can find; with glee. I am NOT against downtown, we love going there; I'm just frustrated like everyone else that it isn't all that it could be.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/16/12 - 11:32 am
Rant for Congressmen

I agree 100% they should have to live by every rule they impose on us; but I need to differ with you about your SS. Social Security is not, never has been, and never will be a retirement program. It was implemented as a social safety net to insure the elderly had at least subsistence income, and would not be destitute in their golden years.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 12/16/12 - 12:01 pm
RM

Had to go find Duck Dynasty - I have kinfolks in that neck of the woods, but they don't quite look like these fellows - and they don't have millions of bucks either! Tx

dichotomy
dichotomy 12/16/12 - 12:16 pm
"There's no low income

"There's no low income housing being built in the CBD..."

Yeh, they are all being given Section 8 and pointed toward South Augusta.

We already have a Performing Commissioners Center. All that is missing is red and white striped jackets, some straw hats, a few tiny bicycles, and an organ grinder. They are plenty of entertainment.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/16/12 - 12:36 pm
Interesting how you get

Interesting how you get thumbs down on facts. It illustrates the ignorance of the thumber.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/16/12 - 12:45 pm
MY 06:52 am

Was taken in a wrong way. Sorry-Removed

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/16/12 - 01:00 pm
Countyman

"And I have ZERO interest, or support, for another performing arts center. And I doubt seriously that 65% of RC would give a flip about having another one."

This is Dichotomy's view, and I find no fault with it; he is a taxpayer of the county and has legitimate input on how his tax dollars are spent. I fully believe he is also accurate in his assessment of how the rest of the ARC citizens feel. Conversely, it is easy for me as a Columbia County resident to wish for more modern and attractive amenities downtown.

All this to say that his post bears out what I've said about the surrounding areas developing these amenities. ARC residents don't want it and won't support it, but enough people in the CSRA DO like the idea of a modern stadium or arena; that if someone wants to build it, then go for it. It is the CBD's loss, but a CSRA gain.
A baseball stadium in NA would not inconvenience any fans, excepting those who walk to Olmstead. For me, it would just be a matter of turning left rather than right when I get off Riverwatch.

I think a 10,000 seat multipurpose arena would be great for the area too. As it is, the JBA is run down and shabby with acoustics that are worse than being outdoors. Some of the support staff look like they were just brought in from the homeless shelter, and move like they are purposeless and could not care less. I did say "some" because there are others whom I've had the pleasure of dealing with since the first days of the Lynx. I will give the JB this though; it is the BEST arena in minor league hockey for sheer crowd noise and viewing angles. Not a bad seat in the place. If I could pick it up and plop it next to Costco, then renovate it with added seating, it would be the best of all worlds. After all, Charleston's arena is out in the burbs and it doesn't hamper attendance to events or affect the CBD.

So you see, I'm not wishing hardship for the CBD, just progress for the area as a whole.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 12/16/12 - 03:21 pm
To Fred Russell - Want extra money $$$$

Pass a A-RC ordinance (if there isn't already one) regarding these
fly by night people selling Queen mattress sets, home washing, yard work, shelled pecans, buying houses and the list goes on and on.

Require each sign posted for more than 12 hours, to have a $5 permit fee, to be paid on line. Issue a code number to placed on the sign. Then make it a $100 fine for any activity commercial sign placed on public right of way, without paying the fee.

A Special $500 fine for NAILING signs to Utility Poles

harley_52
harley_52 12/16/12 - 04:34 pm
Why Not Have...

....trustee prisoners (under armed guard) remove all signs from public facilities while they're not filling potholes in roads and picking up trash? If there aren't enough prisoners around, use able bodied people on public assistance who aren't otherwise gainfully employed?

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/16/12 - 04:45 pm
About Libraries

SeenIt, sure we can provide a place for kids (and others) to study if we want to, but I am convinced that's not providing the most people with the access to the most books. That can be done electronically. We can provide computers for the public to use if necessary, but I believe few people don't have access to a computer these days.

Furnishing a safe, warm place with computers does not require building an expensive library with staffing and hard copy books. It is not necessary to have a library to furnish some services. It can be done in a school after hours or a community center. At the same time an online library opens up free books to those who don't have transportation or are not physically able to visit libraries.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/16/12 - 06:11 pm
yes rm

Yes I can see your logic on this & existing buildings wouldn't cost tax payers as much money.....sometimes I will admit you are right....& I "might" be wrong....very rare..... but I will admit it...☺

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/16/12 - 06:54 pm
Early

Here it is not yet 6 p.m. and they've taken the Rants & Raves off the most discussed list again.

GGpap
GGpap 12/16/12 - 09:02 pm
Teachers pay and unruly students...

I agree with Riverman's take on the assumed "plight" of our underpaid teachers.

Some teachers are no different than many other workers that, when the time comes, decide to take on the impossible debt that comes with the purchase of a palace rather than a home.

And, to Riverman's comment as well:

"If the kids in a class are unruly and the teacher feels all she does is baby sit, the teacher should examine her teaching methods, attitude and aptitude for the profession."

Absolutely! Riverman, you've identified the source of at least 80% of the classroom problems in many school.

GGpap

Georgia to monitor potential Ebola travelers

The new screening comes on the heels of a decision to funnel all of the travelers from Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone to one of five airports where CDC and airports are conducting enhanced ...