Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

THE INCONSIDERATES are at it again. It’s amazing how a springlike day in Edgefield County always seems to bring out those few who are intent on burning leaves this time of year and polluting everyone’s breathing space for the weekend.

THANK YOU, ladies and gentlemen, for a year that was full of wishes and wonder for your sports team. All I can say about your college team is “Dogs lose, Dogs lose.” Makes me happy.

THE ‘KICK-BOXING’ woman on the vein commercials reminds me of Si on Duck Dynasty. Well, Si without a beard.

ELIMINATING deductions is the same as raising taxes.

WHAT EVER HAPPENED to all the money that was to be saved in City Administrator Fred Russell’s reorganization plan earlier this year? We saw directors being fired and employees being demoted and the cemeteries being neglected. I’m just curious.

A RANT TO THE person driving the black Monte Carlo who was texting her way down Mike Padgett Highway around 7:30. I was sitting beside you at the light at Tobacco Road and observed as you were texting just as hard as you could, while constantly glancing up and down at the light waiting for it to change. When it changed you took off and continued to text and glance up and down at the phone while driving. It is people like you that make Mike Padgett a death trap to travel on each day.

TO SENS. LINDSEY Graham and Saxby Chambliss: Stand up, man, your honor is at stake. ... Not one more dime for Washington.

I RAN OUT OF that Augusta State University library because of my allergies to dogs. I had to leave to make sure I could breathe in order to study. Couldn’t they leave the dogs outside the library instead of covering the whole only entrance to the library? Think about that when you plan things for students: We do not usually expect dogs in the library.

RAVE TO ALL THE students at the ARC basketball game. Before the game the school plays the national anthem. The school was having difficulty with the sound system, and the system quit during the song, but the students continue to sing the national anthem with respect, and believe it or not, they knew all of the words. Good job!

RAVE FOR THE wonderful article on William Banks and Georgia Southern. It is great to read an article on a first-class athlete and a first-class football program.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/15/12 - 10:25 am
Burning Leaves

There's a song, Burning Leaves. Part of the lyrics go:

Burning leaves, drop ash before my eyes?
Crush my dreams, all gone
Burning leaves, their branches reach to the sky?
The flame within me is gone

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 12/15/12 - 10:40 am
Armed Guard at schools

Will just be the 1st one killed.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 12/15/12 - 10:41 am
I don't remember that one River

How about, hunka,hunka, burnin' leaves.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 12/15/12 - 10:44 am
Tots
Tots 12/15/12 - 10:50 am
Duck Dynasty,

That show makes me-" Happy,happy,happy"..

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/15/12 - 10:55 am
Haha, Tullie and Shrimp. Here

Haha, Tullie and Shrimp.

Here is some Duck Dynasty trivia for you. Did you know Phil, Willie's daddy, was the starting quarterback at La Tech and Terry Bradshaw was the back-up?

Jane18
Jane18 12/15/12 - 11:49 am
Riverman's Info

I knew Phil and Terry had played together, thanks for the other information. I thought I was the only country girl...excuse me..person, that watched and enjoyed "Duck Dynasty" soooooo much. Phil and Jase are my favorites......love their wit(very often, so true!!

harley_52
harley_52 12/15/12 - 11:51 am
"Armed Guard at schools

Will just be the 1st one killed."

An opinion you're welcome to hold, but I think you are either...
a. Too generous in your perception of the abilities of ALL the potential killers out there. Or,
b. Too skeptical in your perception of the abilities of ALL the potential armed guards.

Seat belts haven't eliminated ALL traffic deaths and injuries, nor have air marshals stopped ALL violence on-board commercial airliners.

If you're reasonable, you'll admit they have helped.

What is your suggestion?

allhans
allhans 12/15/12 - 12:23 pm
A photo on a web site with a

A photo on a web site with a heading "this is the way they protect their children in Israel" shows a woman with a rifle strapped to her back herding a group of kids into the school..

harley_52
harley_52 12/15/12 - 12:43 pm
"A photo on a web site...

....with a heading "this is the way they protect their children in Israel" shows a woman with a rifle strapped to her back herding a group of kids into the school.."

Did they say on the web site whether or not these women carrying rifles were the first ones killed by attackers?

I guess those Israelis just don't get it.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/15/12 - 01:17 pm
@ itsanotherday

Yeah, that was a hoot when Suzy Bogguss began telling us about her son's getting ready to choose a college to go to. People started yelling out their alma maters — one said Alabama, one said Ohio State, then a loud rumble when half the audience shouted out their own alma maters. Then when the noise died down, one guy shouted, loud and clear — G – R – U ! All pandemonium broke out. It was the loudest roar of the evening. When Bogguss asked, “What is G R U?” the laughter was infectious.

Suzy Bogguss is quick-witted. She played along and didn't mind a bit at our inside joke. Bogguss is a class act.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 12/15/12 - 03:42 pm
Dear God

Why do you allow so much violence in our schools?
A concerned student.

Dear concerned student,
I'm not allowed in schools.
Love, God

harley_52
harley_52 12/15/12 - 04:10 pm
"I thought I was the only country girl...

.......excuse me..person, that watched and enjoyed "Duck Dynasty" soooooo much."

Count me among the flock of loyal viewers.

tcowan13
tcowan13 12/15/12 - 05:24 pm
Signs Left Up

I Sure Do Hope That People Take The Time To Take Down The Signs That They Have Posted For Yard Sales,And Other Things That People Have Placed On Telephone Poles,And Other Places.I Believe That People Should Be Fined For Leaving These Distracting Old Signs Up For So Long After Their Sales.Please Take Down Your Signs People,You Had Enough Strength To Put Them Up.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/15/12 - 06:25 pm
Armed guards

Just like any other coward criminal, knowing ahead of time they will meet resistance; would be murderers of innocent students will find another venue to get their ticket to notoriety. Let's not fool ourselves; these mentally deficient animals live among us, and this will not be the last atrocity. In our world of people, especially young people, reaching to the next extreme of everything, the next will be more sensational than the last.

Any impediment we can put in their paths to slow them down is better than standing by, wringing our collective hands.

KSL
KSL 12/15/12 - 07:41 pm
I had a cat who disappeared

I had a cat who disappeared for a month. I did not put signs up, but how long is long enough? He did not like an abandoned cat we brought home. He pulled that stunt twice.

Our vet has told us of lost pets being reunited with their families after months.

KSL
KSL 12/15/12 - 07:58 pm
Hillary is being allowed to

Hillary is being allowed to hide behind a stomach virus and avoid testifying. How utterly convenient.

Just how low will this administration stoop?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/15/12 - 08:21 pm
Dock

I say we dock Hillary's pay immediately.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/15/12 - 09:13 pm
KSL

We had a cat once that I had a pretty big disagreement with. After the cat opening up my arm from elbow to wrist, I managed to get it outside, winning the war.

It took up at a neighbor's house, never setting foot on our property again. I suppose that as cats do, they make their own decisions...

KSL
KSL 12/16/12 - 09:12 am
Sorry

Sounds like the cat won the battle, but you won the war.

So sorry you were injured.

Christmas Eve storm possible

ATLANTA - Forecasters say strong storms, some with the potential for isolated tornadoes, are possible over large parts of Georgia on Christmas Eve.