Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

THE INCONSIDERATES are at it again. It’s amazing how a springlike day in Edgefield County always seems to bring out those few who are intent on burning leaves this time of year and polluting everyone’s breathing space for the weekend.

THANK YOU, ladies and gentlemen, for a year that was full of wishes and wonder for your sports team. All I can say about your college team is “Dogs lose, Dogs lose.” Makes me happy.

ELIMINATING deductions is the same as raising taxes.

WHAT EVER HAPPENED to all the money that was to be saved in City Administrator Fred Russell’s reorganization plan earlier this year? We saw directors being fired and employees being demoted and the cemeteries being neglected. I’m just curious.

A RANT TO THE person driving the black Monte Carlo who was texting her way down Mike Padgett Highway around 7:30. I was sitting beside you at the light at Tobacco Road and observed as you were texting just as hard as you could, while constantly glancing up and down at the light waiting for it to change. When it changed you took off and continued to text and glance up and down at the phone while driving. It is people like you that make Mike Padgett a death trap to travel on each day.

TO SENS. LINDSEY Graham and Saxby Chambliss: Stand up, man, your honor is at stake. ... Not one more dime for Washington.

I RAN OUT OF that Augusta State University library because of my allergies to dogs. I had to leave to make sure I could breathe in order to study. Couldn’t they leave the dogs outside the library instead of covering the whole only entrance to the library? Think about that when you plan things for students: We do not usually expect dogs in the library.

RAVE TO ALL THE students at the ARC basketball game. Before the game the school plays the national anthem. The school was having difficulty with the sound system, and the system quit during the song, but the students continue to sing the national anthem with respect, and believe it or not, they knew all of the words. Good job!

RAVE FOR THE wonderful article on William Banks and Georgia Southern. It is great to read an article on a first-class athlete and a first-class football program.

Jake
Jake 12/14/12 - 10:15 pm
OK

I have already just posted and the comment is not there. Rather than try to repeat myself I will comment on another thing.

Fresh air is a wonderful thing. Breathing someones leaf or trash fire is not fun. Grilled food smell is not bad but the charcoal fire is not good either. Unless you live way the heck away from your nearest neighbor then that is the price you pay.
What irks me is loud noise from so-called hotrod wanna be's. Loud motorcycles, cars or those annoying scooters is noise pollution.

Jake
Jake 12/14/12 - 10:21 pm
Library Dogs

I was thinking the same thing as the ranter when the article about the stress relieving dogs came out the other day. What if you don't like dogs or have an allergy to their hair? The dogs should have been outside like most other pets should be outside unless you allow them inside your house. Public places should not allow pets inside unless it is a pet store.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 12/14/12 - 10:37 pm
Burning leaves?

Really? That's your rant?

You must have a great life, dude (or dudess).

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 12/14/12 - 10:51 pm
I'm not surprised

... the students knew the National Anthem; patriotism is part of most teacher's everyday knowledge they pass on to the young minds. It's when they reach college they're reprogrammed to hate this country for its failures to be perfect.

Of course, that's not true of all teachers; at one school in Columbia County I subbed at there was one teacher who made a great point of telling the (ethnics) they had no obligation to recite the pledge because of how America had treated them. Then there's the example of the C-in-C's crotch salute when the anthem is played.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 12/14/12 - 10:48 pm
"ELIMINATING deductions

is the same as raising taxes." Yup, and borrowing and spending less than projected is still spending more, but it's labeled as a "spending cut." Go ask Alice.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/15/12 - 12:51 am
Concert

I went to the Suzy Bogguss concert tonight at the Imperial. There was a good crowd there of lots of people who know her music. I spoke to three or four strangers about how we became aware of her and what led us to become fans.

The concert was a good blend of Christmas music plus some of her hits. The band was first rate. The show was relaxing and warm. She had some good things to say about how citizens of Augusta are trying to save the Imperial Theater.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 12/15/12 - 04:54 am
Dawgs

Georgia had a great season. The Falcons are going all the way. (I hope)
If the ranter is a gamecock ga tech or Clemson fan all I have to say is Georgia is higher in the polls than you. I'm a gamecock fan and alum but my hat is off to Georgia for a tremendous season. 5 yards short of playing for the national title. Can't get much better than that!

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/15/12 - 09:24 am
Thank you Gwinnett county...

In light of the horrific mass shooting at the elementary school in Connecticut, the Gwinnett County Police Department will be conducting increased police patrols in and around the schools within Gwinnett County.
I have always thought we should have armed police security at schools...we have at banks don't we.......retired police would be perfect..

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/15/12 - 09:27 am

Thank you for toning down any attention for shooter.....don't give it to him......

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/15/12 - 09:29 am
Ga. Southern

I didn't read that last rant as a cut on UGA but rather a compliment to Ga. Southern and W.Banks. And rightfully so. They lost a tough one last night. One more 1st down was all they needed.

harley_52
harley_52 12/15/12 - 09:32 am
I have always thought we should have....

...armed police security at schools...we have at banks don't we.......retired police would be perfect.."

You are a wise man, LL.

You have identified the key to "solving" this problem of crazed gunmen inflicting these types of heinous crimes on society which is to protect the sheep from the wolves. Enlist sheepdogs for the task. That's why God created them.

I posted this a couple of weeks ago, but it seems appropriate to re-post it today.

Tullie
Tullie 12/15/12 - 09:35 am
dstewartsr said:

Burning leaves? Really? That's your rant? You must have a great life, dude (or dudess).

They don't have to have such a great life to gripe about this. People that have allergies and migraines can be very sensitive to smells. It bothers me and can give me a migraine and makes me sick to my stomach. They is nothing worse than wanting to go outside to enjoy a beautiful day and then you get a wiff of stinking burning trash/leaves....

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/15/12 - 09:39 am
harley

I'm all woman.....don't look anything like LLamb...but he is cute..:)

harley_52
harley_52 12/15/12 - 09:47 am
Whoops....

Sorry, Seenit..I guess I was reading too fast.

You are a wise woman....

(and LL is still a wise man).

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/15/12 - 09:49 am
OMG OMG Harley....:)

You just helped me figure out why I love the baddies on here.....because THEY are my sheepdogs...I feel more protected around a baddie ....finally an answer to my madness.....& it won't change either.....you see ladies we learned this through the eons of time......the badder the safer we are....

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/15/12 - 09:54 am
@ Little Lamb

How did you like the crowd's response when GRU came up? I thought it was hilarious!! I also didn't realize just how deep the anti-GRU sentiment ran. It sounded pretty unanimous.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 12/15/12 - 09:55 am
I love the flock out of ya'll

Whoose the shepard though?

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/15/12 - 09:58 am
Dogs around the house

I have said this B4 having dogs around your home is a good thing.....almost as good as a 38....they can see & hear much better than any human......we are fooling ourselves to think we don't have MORE danger in our midst......the Police in our county said the best protection was a protective dog......I agree & I'm so glad I'm not allergic to animals...

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/15/12 - 10:00 am
Burning leaves

A whiff doesn't bother me, but when it is a calm day and the smoke settles over the neighborhood, then yes, I have a problem.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/15/12 - 10:01 am
Daughters are coming today

I will be busy with my favorite folks today.....what happened in Connt makes me want to be with them even more......we are lucky in so many ways ...everyday I'm thankful for having them in my life.....if you have a loving family & good friends..you are richer than Bill Gates imo....

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/15/12 - 10:03 am
anotherday

I'm STILL gagging after that email..hahah...just sent it to strong people..lol lol

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 12/15/12 - 10:03 am
you're right seenit

now if I can just get the dog to quit barking at the UPS truck, garbage truck ,80 something year old ladies going to get their mail etc I'd be happier.

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/15/12 - 10:05 am
Shhhh

"you are richer than Bill Gates imo...." Watch out or they will try to find a way to tax it.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/15/12 - 10:09 am
Seenit

I was careful on my distribution; I figured you were one who could laugh at the grossness of it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/15/12 - 10:11 am
shrimp

Some dogs bark more than others....our dog doesn't waste too much barking on nonesense....she has gotten a little old & slow...so she keeps her barks for important stuff......sorta like ole guys...yaknow....well maybe you don't know yet.......one day you will though..:)

dichotomy
dichotomy 12/15/12 - 10:37 am
"WHAT EVER HAPPENED to all

"WHAT EVER HAPPENED to all the money that was to be saved in City Administrator Fred Russell’s reorganization plan earlier this year?"

I think we bought Paul an elevated crosswalk and a couple of HVAC systems with it. It's hard to tell. The way Fred handles our money there always seems to be "found" money when they need it to give to Paul or cover up a gross screw up like the Municipal building remodel, and then we are always "broke" and need a new TAX or FEE when it's time to do something they should have already been doing like maintaining drain pipes and ditches or fixing roads. The Richmond County tax coffers are nothing but a slush fund.

daphne3520
daphne3520 12/15/12 - 11:05 am
seenitB4
seenitB4 12/15/12 - 11:08 am
The miracles of vodka...:)

MOSCOW -- Circus trainers claim two of their elephants were saved from the deadly Siberian cold by vodka.

Emergency ministry spokesman Alexander Davydov said Friday that the elephants were in a trailer that caught fire Thursday outside the city of Novosibirsk, forcing trainers to take them out into the bitter cold before another truck arrived to deliver them to a warm gym at a local community college.

The Komsomolskaya Pravda daily reported that trainer Leonid Labo had the animals, aged 45 and 48, drink 10 liters (2.6 gallons) of vodka diluted in warm water – and a veterinarian said later that only the tips of their ears were frostbitten.

Although scientists say that alcohol can make humans feel warmer but actually lowers their core body temperature, Novosibisk zoo director Rostislav Shilo told the daily that the vodka saved the animals from frostbite and pneumonia, without harming or even intoxicating them.

another reason I love vodka.....:) seeyall

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/15/12 - 11:21 am
"ELIMINATING deductions is

"ELIMINATING deductions is the same as raising taxes."

Yes it is, but the reality is we have spent ourselves and committed giveaways to the extent it is impossible to climb out of the hole with spending cuts alone.

Capping some deductions like mortgage interest will have minimal impact on job creation vs tax rate increases.

I can't imagine eliminating them, which will hurt the middle class the most; but capping it at say, $30,000, would only touch those making house payments of $2500 (roughly) or more.

There are sensible ways to increase taxes on investment income too without hurting folks like some on here who depend on that income to live comfortably in their retirement years. Instead of just jacking the dividend/capital gains rates like the Democrats want to do; exempt the first $xx from ANY tax, then the next $xx at 10%, the next @ 15%, and so on; much like the progressive income tax structure. That would protect us in the middle, and allow the Warren Buffets to get their wish without negatively impacting the financial markets.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/15/12 - 11:23 am
Heh, Heh, Heh

"THE ‘KICK-BOXING’ woman on the vein commercials reminds me of Si on Duck Dynasty. Well, Si without a beard."

Heh, heh, heh. I love it when someone combines local with something on national TV. Uncle Si is a trip. They have a store now that sells T-shirts with Uncle Si quotes. "Hey..."