2 pedestrians die from injuries

Thursday, Dec. 13, 2012 2:01 PM
Last updated 9:06 PM

Two pedestrians who were hit by vehicles in separate incidents have died.

Richmond County sheriff’s Capt. Scott Gay said both pedestrians were at fault in the accidents.

Nelson Norris, 38, of Thomson, died after being hit by a 2007 Honda CR-V as he tried to cross in the 3200 block of Wrightsboro Road about 7:10 a.m. Thursday.

Norris was taken to Medical College of Georgia Hospital, where he died from his injuries at 11:30 a.m.

The day before, Andrew Ellingwood, 51, died nearly three months after he was hit by a pickup.

According to Chief Deputy Coroner Mark Bowen, Ellingwood was injured Sept. 21 when he stepped into the path of a 1990 Chevrolet 1500 pickup while crossing Meadowbrook Drive at Deans Bridge Road.

Ellingwood was treated at Medical College of Georgia Hospital and then taken to a nursing facility, where he died from of his injuries Wednesday, Bowen said.

– From staff reports

Frank I
Frank I 12/13/12 - 03:44 pm
always a nasty stretch to try

always a nasty stretch to try and cross.. lots going on there, with businesses and apartment complex entryways.. my brother was lucky as a teen when he was run over, barely nicked by the transmission bell housing or the differential housing.. all he remembers was that the car drove completely over him and kept going..

Mimi Hopson 12/13/12 - 04:24 pm
Tragic

It's sad. The RCSO really needs to stop people from crossing those 5 lanes on foot. Daily, and I mean DAILY, I see cops drive right past people jaywalking. Tickets should be written, and people should be made to use the cross-walks.

dichotomy
dichotomy 12/13/12 - 04:37 pm
I always try to be on the

I always try to be on the lookout for people crossing in the middle of the block but I almost hit two the other night. I was coming through Waynesboro about 8:30 P.M. and two black guys in dark clothing were crossing in the middle of a tree lined, poorly lit street. I wasn't ten feet away when I slammed on the brakes. I guess they assumed that I would see them but I didn't. The only thing that saved them was that one was talking on a cellphone and I happened to catch the "glow" on the side of his face.

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/13/12 - 04:48 pm
I used to have to drive this

I used to have to drive this intersection area 2-3 times daily and have always been amazed at the amount of stupid ppl crossing the road...sometimes walking with 2 year olds walking with.... and then the amount of stupid drivers that just seem to populate that area. I am sure the Little Ceasar's dancer guy doesnt help the situation any...hehe. But did see a cop ticket him one day. Havent seen him since that day. RIP Little Ceasar's dancer guy.

allhans
allhans 12/13/12 - 04:48 pm
That location has lots of

That location has lots of foot traffic. It is rare not to see at least one person standing in the center lane waiting to cross. Any one who travels that route on a regular basis would know to slow down and watch.
As for me. I don't want to be the next driver to have to deal with such an occurrence. I much prefer to "watch for pedestrians".

Last evening about 7 PM I was on a crosswalk in front of University Hospital. It was dark, cold, wet and a driver came by driving too fast for conditions, never slowing ...Too many drivers don't care so it is up to foot traffic to beware.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 12/13/12 - 05:04 pm
My daughters live in Campus

My daughters live in Campus Side Apartments (3105 Wrightsboro Rd). One of them had an accident (in a car) just trying to enter the highway from their apartment, so I'm familiar with the scene of this accident which was waiting to happen and will happen again (just as it does periodically on Washington Rd.). The city bus (headed toward Augusta Mall) stops on Wrightsboro Rd.across from a convenience center and a plasma donation place. Further down there are apartments on the left hand side of the road and businesses on the right. There are no crosswalks on Wrightsboro Rd. between Damascus Rd. and Jackson Rd. / North Leg. I had thought about informing Augusta traffic authorities of this situation, but I doubted it would do any good. People should not be asked to walk more than a mile to a legal cross walk just to cross the street. IMO the Augusta traffic authorities should be sued for allowing this situation to exist.

boomhauer
boomhauer 12/13/12 - 05:07 pm
I agree with

I agree with oneofthesane...and I don't know why people stand on the side of the road waving a sign...yes I know they're advertising for some business but its also distracting as heck for drivers. I'm surprised there's not an ordinance or something against that. Back to the story, its a shame someone lost their life.

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/13/12 - 05:16 pm
There are at least 3 low

There are at least 3 low income apartment complexes right their clustered. Large low income apartment complexes with lots of low income ppl who more so than not do not own vehicles. With that comes the mentality "if dey hit me, kenny gonna get me paid". It is a problem that society and the ppl that live their have created. If you are not one of them or it bothers you, move out of their or travel a different direction if you are scurred. A cross walk wont fix anything there.

BamaMan
BamaMan 12/13/12 - 05:50 pm
That area

of Wrightsboro Road used to be a really nice area. They used to be Valley Park Apts, not sure what they are now. Those apts were on the upper end of nice back in the day. Today, not hardly. Probably full of welfare and Section 8. There went the neighborhood.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 12/13/12 - 05:52 pm
Sad to hear any ones life is cut short

But as the article made it clear they made a decision to dodge the traffic to save a walk to the next stop light.

Just like the couple we almost ran over last week standing in the fast lane on Hwy 56 near Marvin Griffin Rd. Pausing and running lane to lane as traffic sped by. The stupidity was there was a Stoplight and Crosswalk just another 50 ft further down. I guess it was too far for them to walk leaving the DMV to gas station for a snack?

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 12/13/12 - 06:20 pm
God bless

the souls of Mr. Ellingwood and Mr. Norris.

countyman
19731
countyman 12/13/12 - 07:19 pm
When did Governors Place

When did Governors Place become low income? Or are you referring to Heritage, Georgian Place, and Heritage.

I'm asking because the rents at Governors Place go all the way up to almost $800 a month. The entire complex is full of middle class vehicles.

None of those apartments cost anywhere close to the real low income apartments like Riverglenn. While Fox Den & Heritage probably have some section 8, and even maybe Valley Park..

The rents at Valley Park are still between $500-$750.

KSL
KSL 12/13/12 - 09:12 pm
You have Jay walk I Aiken

You have Jay walk I Aiken downtown. Not a problem. Now crossing some of these streets mentioned, never ever.

msgret92
msgret92 12/13/12 - 10:21 pm
Middle Class Vehicles

Countyman, what is a middle class vehicle? I see more newer and expensive vehicles in subsidized areas than in most non subsidized neighborhoods.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/14/12 - 09:37 am
Crossing

Rev. Cain posted that there are no legal crosswalks between Damascus Rd. and Jackson/North Leg Rd. It has been a long time since I've been there, but I think there is a legal crossing at Valley Park E. where the athletic complex is. I remember crossing there at an Augusta State graduation ceremony many years ago. Linda Shrenko was the graduation speaker.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 12/14/12 - 11:33 am
Little Lamb is right. There

Little Lamb is right. There is a stop light on Wrightsboro Rd.near where the ASU / GRU athletic complex is located. My mistake, but it is a long way from Damascus Rd. to the ASU sports complex, and a long way from there to Jackson / North Leg Rd. with no legal crosswalks in between. Even the city bus stops between Damascus Rd and Campus Side Apartments (as it is heading toward Augusta Mall) and there are no destinations on the right hand side of Wrightsboro Rd. except Campus Side Apartments. All the business are on the left hand side of that stretch of Wrightsboro Rd.. Between the ASU sports complex and North Leg Rd. all the businesses are on the right hand side until you get to Firestone and Taco Bell while multiple apartments are on the left hand side with no crosswalk for pedestrians to use. City planning should be pedestrian and non-motorized vehicle friendly. Pedestrians must obey traffic law, but cars do NOT rule the road. I expect this to become more of an issue in the future.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/14/12 - 12:21 pm
Culture

Rev. Cain makes some good points. But Augusta does not have a tradition of mid-block cross walks. Witness the continuance of pedestrian strikes on Washington road near Denny's. There is a traffic light at Stevens Creek Road and a designated cross walk. People won't walk fifty feet to use it, instead jaywalking to the Pizza Hut, or even to the RaceTrak, which is actually on the corner where the light is.

Unlike in some other cities, Augusta drivers don't have the culture of expecting cross walks where there are no traffic signals. I fear many more pedestrian strikes if they put mid-block cross walks on the five-lane Wrightsboro Rd.

How are your daughters liking ASU, Rev.? Are they still in that singing group?

bigclaude
bigclaude 12/14/12 - 02:18 pm
Just Wow!!!

Nelson Norris had an older brother named John who was hit by a train and killed about 20 years ago. It's really sad that Nelson would make such a mistake when you consider what happened to his brother. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

I've almost hit a couple of pedestrians myself on 15th Street. It's hard enough trying to keep up with five lanes of traffic and find an opening to pull out into that traffic without having to dodge jaywalking pedestrians in the process.