Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

YOU CAN SEE NOW why a photo ID (driver’s license, for example) is needed when voting when one reads the article “Some voters registered at vacant lots.” In addition to vacant lots people have registered at abandoned or boarded-up houses.

WHY IS IT THAT when Democrats talk about cutting entitlements they only talk about Medicare and Social Security? What about all of the others, such as free phones, food stamps, welfare, Medicaid, low income housing and contraceptives.. Entitlements of all sorts need to be candidates for cuts.

IT IS A SHAME that Richmond County schools show little, if any, respect for noncustodial fathers of students in their district. Perhaps one day they can pay attention to court orders, just like the rest of us do. Or is it that school systems are above such things, like the law? More fathers than not want to be positively and actively involved in our children’s lives. Don’t stand in the way.

SHERIFF-ELECT Roundtree really thinks people have money to throw around? He expects to haul in $150 a person? What is he going to serve, caviar and champagne? This from a man who’s supposed to be a peace officer? Where is the money supposed to go? For his new captains?

‘AUGUSTA CHRONICLE,’ that was good reporting on the voter frauds you found. Now I hope the city at least bans those particular people and has charges posted against them.

I’M SO GLAD that Historic Augusta recognized the need to preserve the last vestige of Haines Institute in the historic building called Cauley-Wheeler. Now I truly hope that the building will be repaired. After all, it’s designated as a historic site.

IT SEEMS THE NEW and illegitimate “state” of Palestine is broke, in the hole and run by thugs.

SOME OF THE opposition to President Obama comes from sincere policy disagreement; fair enough. But this old, white Southern male can assure you that the vitriol, the hatred, the attempts to delegitimize Obama, come from old-fashioned racism. And that is the truth.

Jane18
Jane18 12/13/12 - 11:24 am
Who Loves Us, Baby?

allhans, he doesn't just not like us(all Americans, all colors), he hates, despises us...along with his wifey-poo! seenit, I suggested a couple of weeks ago that we should do more personal giving, not from stores with all their foreign made "stuff". I really wish someone would send me a housecleaner for a day......or two.......I hope my son reads this! Hey Babysarge, we've never "talked" much, but I remember you. Good to have you up and about, hope you have a very Happy Christmas!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/13/12 - 02:54 pm
My father died in Baker's

My father died in Baker's Hospital. A kind nurse was generous with the morphine when I stayed with him that last night. When it was over I walked out by the lake early in the morning and waited for my mother to come pick me. I was 18 years old and I remember those big white globe lights up the steps in front of Baker looking like something from a black and white 40's movie.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 12/13/12 - 12:02 pm
Also River

Did you ever notice was carved into the stone on the front of the building. Baker Sanatorium.
Did you know that Baker is now high end condos?
The old Atlantic Coast Life insurance building on the corner of Smith and Wentworth is now a high end hotel. One room goes for $900 a night. It has two chandeliers in it and it takes 8 hours to clean each one.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 12/13/12 - 12:03 pm
Harley

I'm not sure if that was the maternity ward or not. My mom said they would hear weird noises coming from the 4th floor. It wasn't used in the late 70's so no one ever went up there. I'd like to ask her about it unfortunetly she passed away in 2003

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 12/13/12 - 12:15 pm
Charleston is cool

When we go there - I go to the symphony and listen to my friend play the harp and then we go home and PARTY ... Cooper River

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 12/13/12 - 12:17 pm
And sit on the grounds of the plantations

And listen to wonderful music under the great trees. Ok - it's 5:00 somewhere!

harley_52
harley_52 12/13/12 - 12:31 pm
Okay, Thanks...

....Shrimp. I was wondering if the 4th floor was open when RM was born at Baker? No reason....just idle curiosity...

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 12/13/12 - 01:21 pm
RM1, your comment regarding

RM1, your comment regarding what you remember after your father's passing moved me. Maybe I'm just sentimental, maybe it's just Christmastime and I'm thinking of someone that I wish was still here. It's funny how certain moments stay in your mind and you can recall them like it just happened.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/13/12 - 05:06 pm
PuppyMomma, I understand.

PuppyMomma, I understand. Those times stay with us and certain things become symbolic. Maybe those lights outside Baker's Hospital stayed with me for some reason.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/13/12 - 05:47 pm
Shrimp, yep, it was known as

Shrimp, yep, it was known as sanatorium for awhile. Some thought it meant sanitarium. Ha. By the way, thinking back, it was Baker Hospital, not Baker's. I think my family called it Baker's for some reason.

HenryWalker3rd
HenryWalker3rd 12/13/12 - 09:48 pm
Naive

Almost 70 comments about nothing....

I guess there was truth in today's rants and raves.....

harley_52
harley_52 12/13/12 - 10:35 pm
Comments About Nothing...

...thanks for doing your part.

HenryWalker3rd
HenryWalker3rd 12/14/12 - 02:44 pm
Not a problem, Harley! You

Not a problem, Harley! You too!

rebellious
22090
rebellious 12/14/12 - 03:22 pm
Someone Please

entertain Mr. Walker! He is entitled!

HenryWalker3rd
HenryWalker3rd 12/14/12 - 08:10 pm
Thank you too Rebel. Unlike

Thank you too Rebel.

Unlike some, this is about 2% of my life.