Rants & Raves

TO THE WORKMEN who are fixing West Avenue in North Augusta: The sidewalks, the bricks, the road, it all looks so beautiful. You have done a fabulous job. Thank you very much for making the road beautiful.

OUR HEALTH CARE system needs to be overhauled in America to find less expensive ways to do a lot of things. In Japan, a person can go in the hospital and stay overnight and it is only $20. In America, it is $800 to ride five miles in an ambulance. Go figure.

RANT FOR THE lady from the senior citizen council who wrote the letter to the editor. I agree that we need to preserve our Medicare benefits, but I do not think she should have referred to it as an entitlement. It is a part of FICA, which is an insurance that people pay into for a lifetime. Therefore it is not an entitlement. It is a benefit that is worked for and paid for over our lifetime.

A REMINDER TO ALL those folks that drive with one hand, even taking curves, and use the second hand to either hold the phone or do some sort of texting. I had a close experience today while someone turned in front of me – and I believe I have the right to demand that I am left alive – just like many other people that don’t text or talk on cellphones. Nothing can be that important that one risks life and limb for something that can surely wait.

A HUGE RAVE TO Trinity Hospital of Augusta, I recently fell to a very painful illness and was admitted for an almost two-week stay. I received the most personal and compassionate care imaginable. Doctors, staff and all support departments had smiles and encouragement. This is an awesome facility for healing, physically, mentally and spiritually! I was born there 45 years ago and never imagined being a patient, but I am thankful for every single one of you, and even more thankful to call you my work family!

TAKES TWO TO MAKE the mess in Washington. Not just Democrats or Republicans. Both parties are to blame.

I’LL BET OBAMA wants to be a pharaoh too, just like Morsi.

THE PERSON WHO ROBBED a driver of $4 is not only a low-down, bum crook; he’s also a stupid crook. It’s also ironically sad that he won’t be able to read this, since he probably holds a high school diploma and can’t read a newspaper.

PLEASE CLEAN UP the city and remove all of these political signs.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 12/10/12 - 09:21 am
texters

This lady was texting and almost him my car on I-20. I got so mad I rolled down my window and threw my beer at her.

I pay into social security and medicare therefore I'm entitled to it

Jake
Jake 12/10/12 - 10:06 am
(Cough, cough)

After walking through all of the gunsmoke on here this morning, I just wanted to tell Augusta resident that his comment made me laugh hard.
You would think that after the weekend with family and friends, and church on Sunday, that folks would be refreshed and happy to start the week instead of coming out with guns-a-blazing. I hope you all have a great week.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/10/12 - 10:11 am
Harley

It's under the "Man shot to death, possibly after surprising burglar" topic.

dichotomy
dichotomy 12/10/12 - 10:15 am
"Of course an AR 15, an AK

"Of course an AR 15, an AK 47, or a mini-14 would be fine as well, assuming you know how to use them."

And don't forget the SKS. Probably one of the most dependable, and relatively cheap, semi-auto rifles around and easily adapted for after market 30 round clips of you so desire.

The Judge is a great choice for self defense handgun. Especially for those who need a simple, dependable wheel gun. It's ability to fire .410 shotgun shells is perfect for "in home" defense.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/10/12 - 11:13 am
RM

I have been packing everyday I leave my Crime Free Park since I retired out of the Army 42 years ago. I have had to pull it only once when 3 Black punks pulled up beside me in a Black, 1975 Ford pickup, with a yellow drivers door and no license plates at the Washington exit on I-20.
When I looked over, the middle passenger had a large cal. revolver (.45 or .44) pointed right at me. I lower my passenger window down because I didn't want glass hitting me. Picked up my chrome plated Taurus PT 92 AFS semi-auto and very steady pointed right at them. I felt I wasn't going to get hit if he fired because of his postion in the vehicle, If he fired, there would be 16 rounds headed his direction....Darn, I never thought that a 1975 ford could disappear so fast!

Jane18
Jane18 12/10/12 - 10:31 am
Judge Taurus Handgun

Thank you George. I am going to Augusta tomorrow, I will be checking out that weapon! There is nothing like the sound of a shotgun(even a 410)to make a sound that frightens, or, do some "damage"!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 12/10/12 - 10:35 am
00 buckshot is good but not

00 buckshot is good but not needed. In the distance that you will need it in an house, number 7.5 birdshot will leave a devastating hole in your attacker, and do minimal damage to items on the other side of the wall.

Just saying.

harley_52
harley_52 12/10/12 - 10:59 am
Angela....

You stick with birdshot, I'll stick with buckshot.

Everybody's happy.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/10/12 - 11:18 am
Some Information On The Judge.

Due to the rifled barrel and, of course, lack of choke, pellets scatter quickly on leaving the bore. I would not attempt a shot on small game past 15 feet with this load and I would not wait in line for the opportunity to face off against a dangerous adversary at any range. Not that a shot to the face at five feet would not be messy, but at ten feet it gets very iffy and those number 4′s are simply not going to deliver much penetration. That is why police shotguns are loaded with buckshot

Read more: http://www.gunsandammo.com/2007/07/07/judging-the-judge/#ixzz2EfNhQQxm

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/10/12 - 11:20 am
Angela

Using a long barrel shotgun, yes, the Judge no.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/10/12 - 11:25 am
sweetson sent video

older guy shooting punks...happened this year....thanks sweetson....

gotta go bye again...

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/10/12 - 11:28 am
a new poster put this on the willisforeman thread

Mad as Hell

I too have been burglarized Saturday night. My daughter and myself came home to all my lights being on,when I didn't leave them on. I believe whoever did this was still in the house as I pulled in my driveway,because they left other things they could have taken,more then likely we scared them off. They stole somethings from me,but the one thing they did get,which is something my son worked so hard for his whole life ,which was his State Champion Ring for Basketball. Here he is training to serve for our country in the Army,to have to come home to know that his ring is gone. Whoever did this,can have everything else they stole,I just want his ring back! It could have been worst,because sometimes my sixteen year old is at home by herself,and I thank God she wasn't home at that time. I am not from Augusta,moved here five and half years old,and I'm really not liking being here anymore. I feel violated in my own home, I'm scared to leave my home,let alone leave my daughter home alone.. I'm a single mother,working and trying to make a dollar out of 15 cent,and I'm mad as hell that people out here don't care about other people,or their things! I work hard for the things I have,and they can do the same! I wouldn't mind getting a Alarm,but like I said, I'm a single mother,trying to make a dollar out of 15 cent. I can't sleep at night,worrying about our safety. I just don't know what to do. My heart goes out to this man and his family,nobody deserve to die in this way. And I hope they catch whoever did this,and lock them away for a very long time!

rebellious
22080
rebellious 12/10/12 - 11:53 am
Judge Ammo

The latest is .410 with steel discs stacked. With the rifling,they are spinning like crazy when the reach muzzle exit. Awesome.

@Jake, I had a great day yesterday with our Church's Christmas concert. I also felt real refreshed, then read the article about a family who will not have a good Christmas because some lowlife ended the life of a loved one. Hence......Gunsmoke. "I aim to kill you Ned Pepper" style. One in each hand riding straight at the bad guy. Probably not, but there dang sure won't be me looking like a deer in the headlights.

And I agree about driving with one hand, I always use both knees when texting!

countyman
countyman 12/10/12 - 12:48 pm
Inchristlove.. The Butler

Inchristlove.. The Butler Creek Park will connect to the new Lombard Mill Pond trail, and eventually Phinizy Swamp Nature Park.

''This new park project, currently under phase I design, will develop 36 acres of City owned and designated greenspace referred to as Butler Creek Trailhead Park. Funded through SPLOST VI, the development of this park site, which includes a portion of Butler Creek, would include parking and pedestrian access via a footbridge to the park from south of Butler Creek, a picnic shelter with rest rooms, a natural playground area and maintained open space. This critical park development is part of the overall Butler Creek Green-way. The City of Augusta, in partnership with the Central Savannah River Land Trust, has assembled @80% of the land along Butler Creek from Lombard Mill Pond to Phinizy Swamp, a 1,150 acre nature park partnership with the City of Augusta and the Southeastern Natural Sci-ences Academy, consisting of newly created wetlands and natural swamp-lands.''

Riverman... Why is crime never reported as being up or down in Columbia or Aiken counties? I know the answer, but I'm positive you do too.. Probably related to pointing the finger, and three more are pointing at you. The same thing goes for the tribunals in the local school systems.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/10/12 - 01:06 pm
Misrepresentation

The people of Tennessee are being woefully underrepresented by one of their senators. Here is Anne Flaherty's story from Associated Press:

“If Republicans agree to Obama's plan to increase rates on the top 2 percent of Americans,” said Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn), “the focus then shifts to entitlements and maybe it puts us in a place where we actually can do something that really saves the nation.”

If Corker believes the Democrats will enter into any meaningful negotiations next year after the Republicans cave in this year, then Corker is a ***.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 12/10/12 - 02:21 pm
Sorry Harley....I have to

Sorry Harley....I have to think of my children on the other side of that wall. And CG....you are right about the long barrel.

edit---Thumbs down for caring about my children? Someone here must simply not like me......

allhans
allhans 12/10/12 - 02:10 pm
Reports are that a private

Reports are that a private Inauguration of Obama will be held on Sunday, the day before the actual inauguration. NO press will be allowed.
C GEE...you won't get to see him crowned, I guess.... :)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/10/12 - 02:18 pm
allhans

What are you taking about?....I thought he was already crowned!

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/10/12 - 02:21 pm
LL is right. The Democrats

LL is right. The Democrats are not going to touch entitlements. They won't touch any spending. They will tax and tax and tax.

allhans
allhans 12/10/12 - 02:36 pm
OOPS!!

OOPS!!

allhans
allhans 12/10/12 - 02:39 pm
dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 12/10/12 - 02:51 pm
Re: The Judge

Great handgun; great for standby use because no springs under tension, like in a magazine or striker/hammer. Pick it up and poin, pull trigger, repeat five times. Emergency action? Pull trigger again.

Bought several boxes of Winchester's 3" PDX1 410 ammunition, conclusions; STIFF recoil. (Taurus makes a 2 1/2 inch version as well, but why bother?) As someone noted each round is loaded with 4 plated steel projectiles, sorta like a discus, plus 18 BB's. At 21 feet the four discs spread out to about index card size pattern; the BB's all over the place. Each cylinder load is 20 .40 caliber rounds and 90 BB's on target.

I was able to pick up several of the discs on the ground after they passed through two thicknesses of sheet rock, so penetration is less of a concern. Shooting .45 Long Colt was much like hot 38 specials. Amazon has a .22 long rifle chamber insert set for cheap practice; my grandsons love it.

allhans
allhans 12/10/12 - 03:55 pm
Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 12/10/12 - 04:13 pm
Last Rant Edited...

"PLEASE CLEAN UP the city and remove all of these political signs."

PLEASE CLEAN UP the city , leave the signs and remove all of the politicians.

I like mine better.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 12/10/12 - 04:15 pm
Humbled Angie, someone here

Humbled Angie, someone here is likely jealous of you. I see nothing about you to dislike.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 12/10/12 - 04:28 pm
I don't know what they would

I don't know what they would be jealous of, Willow, but thanks.

KSL
KSL 12/10/12 - 04:31 pm
Because you intelligent and

Because you intelligent and knowledgeable.

KSL
KSL 12/10/12 - 04:37 pm
And

That really grates on some.

harley_52
harley_52 12/10/12 - 04:53 pm
"Sorry Harley....

....I have to think of my children on the other side of that wall."

Why on earth would you be sorry for thinking about your children? I understand your position completely.

I don't have any kids in the house and no reason to worry about what's "on the other side of that wall."

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/10/12 - 04:55 pm
Sports news

"Injured South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore will enter the NFL draft, said people familiar with the decision." SI.com Good for him. Falcons need a new RB.