Dearing 4-year-old hit near school bus

Friday, Dec. 7, 2012 12:37 PM
Last updated 3:04 PM

DEARING — A 4-year-old Dearing Elementary pre-schooler was hit by a vehicle Friday morning as she was boarding a school bus.

According to the Georgia State Patrol public information office, Ava Rushing was taken to Medical College of Georgia Hospital with a cut on her face, but no serious injuries.

She is reported in good condition.

State troopers are trying to determine what happened in the 6:40 a.m. accident. A patrol spokesman said the bus had picked up one child at the stop, pulled away, then stopped and backed up to get the girl. At that point, Rushing tried to cross the road from the left shoulder and was hit.

Authorities say they are not sure whether the stop bar on the bus was activated at the time the child was hit by a vehicle meeting the bus. The driver of the vehicle has not been charged in the incident.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/07/12 - 01:47 pm
Why wasn't the child escorted

Why wasn't the child escorted to the bus door by a parent. This is a 4 year old!

KSL
KSL 12/07/12 - 02:41 pm
ICL

Please contact me via my profile. I have something I want to discuss with you.

Itsallnew11
Itsallnew11 12/07/12 - 03:29 pm
Crossing the Road

Why was the child crossing the road to get on the bus anyway? The bus should be picking students up on their side of the road not them crossing the road.

But ICL, I agree with you....where was the parent?

myfather15
myfather15 12/07/12 - 04:08 pm
Yes, the parent should have

Yes, the parent should have been there. I have 7 and 5 year old girls and I can't imagine them going to the bus alone. Some things in life just don't make sense. But I heard the girl is doing just fine, so very happy to hear this.

soapy_725
soapy_725 12/07/12 - 05:49 pm
One thing for sure, the bus driver and McDuffie Co

will not be at fault. Plausible Deniability will win. The spin is in process as we speak.

KSL
KSL 12/07/12 - 07:25 pm
I am not all allowing a 4

I am not all allowing a 4 year old to ride a bus.

happychimer
happychimer 12/07/12 - 08:37 pm
My grandson and granddaughter

My grandson and granddaughter rode a bus at 4 and they were fine.

KSL
KSL 12/07/12 - 10:55 pm
Happy

That is great. I am glad for you. My parents did not put me or my 2 siblings on a bus and we grew up in the country, outside of town. We lived in town and we weren't going to do it either. Actually none of the kids in our subdivision rode the bus.

They went to private school through the 6th grade. In the 7th grade they began to make the team's year round. Had to be picked up after practice. Why make them get up extra early to catch a bus when they are going to have to stay late?

KSL
KSL 12/07/12 - 10:58 pm
At 4 they were not going to

At 4 they were not going to public school.

dwb619
dwb619 12/08/12 - 01:31 am
4K

By the article it appears that McDuffie County has a four year old pre-K program.
The state of South Carolina does, I am not sure about Georgia.

allhans
allhans 12/08/12 - 11:04 am
Aren't motorists required to

Aren't motorists required to stop for school buses to load/unload. Sheesh! Let's not blame the victim (victim's family) - at least not when we have so few facts.

KSL
KSL 12/08/12 - 08:59 am
I don't see anyone blaming

I don't see anyone blaming the victim. She is a 4 year old. The article reads like she was late to the bus stop. The bus driver saw her, backed up to get her, and she tried to cross the street in front of a car. Fortunately she was not critically injured.

KSL
KSL 12/08/12 - 09:20 am
dwb

Sorry my meaning was not clear. At 4 and 5 they were not going to a public school.They were going to a somewhat advanced program. At 6 they were going to public school until a teacher of the year her first year of teaching told me not to send my children to the public school they were slated to go to. That was huge, as we had had much debate over private versus public schooling. She was a great friend and neighbor. So they went to a private school until the 7th grade.

KSL
KSL 12/08/12 - 09:26 am
The public schools did not

The public schools did not provide kindergarten or pre-k.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 12/08/12 - 12:08 pm
Babies are pushed into school way too early.

I am in agreement with KSL on this. Four year olds are not ready for the responsibility of public transportation. I don't believe they are ready for school either. They are still babies and should be home with their mom's.

Regardless, children need familial support while they are growing and maturing, whether it comes from a two parent home or other family members and friends pitching in to help.

Thank God she is unharmed.

GaStang22
GaStang22 12/08/12 - 01:40 pm
How can you not place blame??

A 4 year old should NEVER EVER be left unattended like that. Even if the adult was on the porch watching...its not good enough....obviously!! Common sense to most people.

krushing1986
krushing1986 12/17/12 - 02:43 pm
The Mother!

1. The "Christians" on here should read the Commandments. Apparently you do not recall; Thou shall not judge.
2. You should not judge a situation if you do not know the whole story.
3. Words hurt and I hope you remember that the next time you decide to bash a :tranger on a public website.

Yes, my children ride the school bus. Thats what its there for and Im quite sure Im not the first parent on the planet to let their children ride the school bus. There are 5 other pre schoolers who ride it as well. And for the record, my children were being escorted! My 7 year old ran ahead and my 4 year old wanted to copy. My 8 months pregnant body could not catch her and she did not hear my screams for her to stop. You people with your judgements have NO idea how terrifying it is to see that your child is about to be possibly killed and you are completely unable to stop it!!!! My children are my LIFE and I would lay down in front of every danger to protect them!
This accident has been the worst possible thing ever to happen to my family and also the best blessing we've ever received. The Lord saved our sweet girl and we will be eternally grateful for his mercy. As for you who judged the situation so quickly, I will pray for you.

Search of alleged dealer's home found drugs, firearms