Augusta Economy

More News | Fort Gordon | Plant Vogtle | Savannah River Site | Editor

Savannah River Site scientist agrees to pay back fraudulent expenses

COLUMBIA. — A scientist at Savannah River Site has agreed to pay back more than $33,000 in expenses he fraudulently obtained from the government.

Authorities say George Goldston was a senior principal scientist at SRS and was claiming hotel expenses when he traveled there from his home in Mount Pleasant.

But federal prosecutors say Goldston was staying rent-free with his brother. When he was confronted about his expenses, authorities say Goldston produced post-dated fake rental checks and a fake rental agreement.

Goldston’s agreement with federal officials also requires him to pay penalties and other fees for a total of $58,000 in damages.

Prosecutors say they are aggressively going after anyone who falsely claims expenses from the federal government.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 12/06/12 - 10:46 pm
The federal government is

The federal government is cracking down and has me shaking in my boots! If I steal taxpayers money by lying on expense reports and THEN I FABRICATE documents to back it up........if I get a way with it, I take the $$$ and live happily ever after.... If I get caught I have to pay it back and NOT go to jail. You Feds are tough cookies..... Would make J. Edgar proud.....

row
row 12/07/12 - 06:50 am
The Government Cracking down................

So I guess this means they will be going after the 7 or 8 million dollars that was overpaid to SRS employees a while back. It seems like they said it was an honest mistake before and not worth the trouble to get it back. Well let's just wait and see what happens now.

Techfan
Techfan 12/07/12 - 08:43 am
An AP story from an event

An AP story from an event that happened at SRS?

my.voice
my.voice 12/07/12 - 08:54 am
Good they caught this guy,

Good they caught this guy, but the real story here is that the Feds are going after anything that brings in what they call REVENUE. Us common folk call it tax. The IRS is seeking you out, hunting for money, to enslave the working public to support the slackers.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 12/07/12 - 09:12 am
"An AP story from an event

"An AP story from an event that happened at SRS?"

Why on Earth not? Just because it is local, doesn't mean it's not important.

The guy SHOULD have been procecuted. He stole tens of thousands of dollars and only has to pay it back....sheesh.

But Techfan, if all you want to do it make snarky comments about the source and not the content of the article.....we understand....it's what we've come to expect.

Young Fred
Young Fred 12/07/12 - 09:25 am
GiantsAllDay...

...nailed it! Goldston stole from taxpayers and a government that's quickly going bankrupt, then lied about it.

Hmmmm, I wonder if I committed an unarmed bank robbery, and got caught, could I simply pay back the money without spending jail time?

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 12/07/12 - 09:29 am
He should go to jail!

How dare he!

Bizkit
Bizkit 12/07/12 - 09:30 am
Let's hope justice will be

Let's hope justice will be served and the culprit will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

corgimom
corgimom 12/07/12 - 01:38 pm
He is nothing more than a

He is nothing more than a common thief. Ruin your life, ruin your career, over something so foolish. And I can tell you, when he presented the rental agreement, the IRS said, "Hey, no problem, lets see where the brother declared the rental income"--uh....he didn't think that far ahead...

corgimom
corgimom 12/07/12 - 01:41 pm
But I like the part where he

But I like the part where he "agreed" to pay back the expenses. Yeah, he "agreed", all right.

Dixieman
Dixieman 12/07/12 - 02:45 pm
Dixieman has 2 billion points

And yet President Obama remains at large having stolen trillions from the American taxpayers....

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 12/07/12 - 05:34 pm
The gubmint

doing anything in a positve way is an impossibility. goldston, I'm sure, is shaking in his mukluks as are his co-horts at srs. Another form of welfare, and ebt fraud overlooked. America is raped daily by gubmint employees!

KSL
KSL 12/07/12 - 09:06 pm
Corgie, the article said

Corgie, the article said "hotel expenses." Now I have a problem with staying with a relative qualifying as a hotel expense even if he is actually charged by the brother.

KSL
KSL 12/07/12 - 09:10 pm
Dixie

You and I got thumbs down. I only quoted the article.