Atlanta school gas leak blamed on human error

Thursday, Dec. 6, 2012 1:17 PM
Last updated 6:49 PM
  • Follow Latest News

ATLANTA -- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports the carbon monoxide leak Monday at Finch Elementary School was caused by two maintenance workers who neglected to reopen a valve on the school furnace after inspecting it last Friday, Atlanta Public Schools superintendent Erroll Davis said Thursday.

The leak of the lethal, colorless, ordorless gas sent more than 30 students from the school to the hospital Monday. But All were treated and released.

The district discovered Wednesday after looking at school videotapes that the workers had done maintenance on the furnace last Friday, Davis said at a morning news conference.

“Neither of these two individuals came forward,” Davis said. “To say that is a disappointment is an understatement. We have now launched a full investigation of that.”

loading...
Top headlines

Richmond County elementary schools lead in weapons cases

There were more weapons-related incidents in Richmond County elementary schools during the 2014-15 school year than at middle or high schools, with the weapons ranging from blunt objects to handguns.
Search Augusta jobs