Atlanta school gas leak blamed on human error

Thursday, Dec. 6, 2012 1:17 PM
Last updated 6:49 PM
  • Follow Latest News

ATLANTA -- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports the carbon monoxide leak Monday at Finch Elementary School was caused by two maintenance workers who neglected to reopen a valve on the school furnace after inspecting it last Friday, Atlanta Public Schools superintendent Erroll Davis said Thursday.

The leak of the lethal, colorless, ordorless gas sent more than 30 students from the school to the hospital Monday. But All were treated and released.

The district discovered Wednesday after looking at school videotapes that the workers had done maintenance on the furnace last Friday, Davis said at a morning news conference.

“Neither of these two individuals came forward,” Davis said. “To say that is a disappointment is an understatement. We have now launched a full investigation of that.”


Top headlines

Mother of newborn left in car to face possible indictment

Richmond County Civil and Magistrate Court Presiding Judge H. Scott Allen ruled at the conclusion of a preliminary hearing for 20-year-old Alicia Manigault that her case would be bound over to a ...
Search Augusta jobs