Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

HATS OFF TO Ken Rayburn for his volunteer skilled work used in fully restoring Trinity Hospital’s life-size Nativity figures. His enhancement of the figures will bring joy to the many who visit the Nativity scene each year. Thank you, Mr. Rayburn.

THANKS TO ALL the volunteers who participated in the annual Feast before the Feast at Cherry Tree Crossing, Olmstead Homes and Oak Pointe Apartments. You should be proud of serving the needy of our community. Monique Braswell, the council president and a founder of the event, said that about 5,800 people were fed. Well done!

HERE’S TO THE wonderful couple at last year’s Christmas service who insisted on pushing their way into the pew, after I had gone in an hour early to get the front end seat where you can view the tree. Not only did they not listen to me when I said my family was meeting me there, they took up about three seats forcing me to move into the middle. My family refused to barge in, and I didn’t want them to stand alone, so I joined them on the sidelines over an air vent, while I watched the couple gleefully let three people into the pew. I know that this sounds petty, but I was really getting into the spirit of everything before this intrusion. My daughter thought that I had reacted badly even though nothing was said to her, and I was uninvited to Christmas dinner at her house I had a lonely bitter night I hope that the great couple had a very merry Christmas, and I hope that next year they can come in late and force their way into another family’s Christmas. Happy holidays to that thoughtful, helpful couple who, by the way, were dressed like lumberjacks! Joy to the world!

WITH A NEW sheriff in town, if the crime rate drops then I’ll say you made a good choice but right now I seriously doubt that will happen.

A NEWS ANCHOR the other day, ad libbing, said, “Don’t mess with Israel.” Amen. Pray for Israel.

IF ANYONE IN AUGUSTA is from Massachusetts, please tell us what the Romneycare plan has done in your state. This, as I understand, was the blueprint for what is called Obamacare. What have the death panels done in Massachusetts? How many businesses have folded because they had to provide insurance? How many deaths have resulted from this Romneycare? Thanks for your input.

harley_52
harley_52 11/30/12 - 09:37 am
Low Wages...

Why don't we raise the minimum wage to $10/hr? Heck, let's make it even better....why not $20/hr?

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/30/12 - 11:23 am
CobaltGeorge11/30/12 - 08:15 am

CG wrires: "By the way RA, I will be a few houses away from you in a hour, I will be quite when I past you."

Go ahead and toot your horn ya old grump. Ya don't mind doing it here. :)

Look at ol' CG getting all moderny text on us. C U? Har, har, har.

Gotta get outta here myself. The Hot Donuts sign just went off and I'm gonna pick up a dozen for the gang at the office.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/30/12 - 09:41 am
Just for youse guys ...Cher

Dang...she is showing too much.....floozy:):)

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/30/12 - 10:25 am
Minimum Wage

From Seenit's post on page 1 I'm re-posting an exerpt:

"It’s not just your teenagers with after school jobs. It’s mothers, fathers and families,” said Jonathan Westin, organizing director at New York Communities for Change, who helped coordinate Thursday's protests. “Especially now after the recession, a lot of people who lost work are now taking these jobs. Our economy is becoming a service sector economy but most of these jobs are minimum wage. This is a huge problem.”

Yes, it is a problem, and our president is the main cause because instead of working with Congress, bending a little, compromising, caucusing to discuss and brainstorm; he did nothing but repeat class warfare mantras for the last five years.

This man does not know how to lead. He led a life sheltered from reality. Radicals took him under their wings and indoctrinated him, got him college degrees (which he is ashamed to show his transcripts), padded his career in this plan to re-shape America into a fascist, government-controlled oligarchy.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/30/12 - 09:43 am
harley

ya should have joined us earlier...now I have to leave for a spell...have a goodun!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/30/12 - 09:54 am
Census

Seenit posted:

Yesterday the census from the Dept of Commerce arrived in my mail...it must be 20 pages...it says that I have to respond by law....

Are we in a time warp, Seenit? The last census was 2010. The next census is 2020. You do not have to respond to these "surveys" sent out by the Dept. of Commerce. Just toss it in the trash.

P.S. You are required to respond to legitimate Census forms in the decade years, but you don't have to answer the questions about income, housing, and stuff. Just tell them how many people live there.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/30/12 - 10:11 am
@ the last rant. Healthcare

@ the last rant.

Healthcare law in Mass bears no resemblence to Obamacare. If you read the 6000+ pages you would know that....your sarcasm about death panels and business folding indicate that you did not read all or any of the actual law.......Just like those who voted for it or signed it into law.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/30/12 - 10:12 am
Read this llamb

you must want me to pay a fine.....lol..i will have to decide if I want to keep aome things private...or not...

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/30/12 - 10:17 am
Also this llamb

Now do I want to be guilty of keeping info private & keeping a senior center or bridge out of Gwinnett county.....I feel important now....our progress in this county could depend solely on me...lol

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/30/12 - 10:23 am
after all

Some on here appreciate me & my posts...lol...maybe the government has picked up on my sense of reason in a flock of posters.....they probably can't move forward without "my" input....now if countyman would realize that too I could help richmond county grow & prosper...but alas....he can't see well with rose colored glasses....

gotta go........(I am joking folks)

Itsallnew11
Itsallnew11 11/30/12 - 10:36 am
Re: Christmas Pew Intrusion

I don't know the entire story of how you reacted but I do know that it sounds to me like your daughter reacted badly by not inviting you for the holiday festivities. Family is family no matter what and noone with a family should spend the holidays alone. She reacted badly. I hope this Christmas is more pleasant and filled with joy.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/30/12 - 11:34 am
Who Shot Boo?

Let's analyze the seating situation. The ranter's writing leaves some holes, so we have to use deductive reasoning to fill in the gaps:

couple, dressed as lumberjacks — two people, wearing plaid wool shirts

front end seat — she is sitting alone on the front row and she is on one end of the row

family to meet her there — she is hoping to save places for an unspecified number of family members

they took up about three seats forcing me to move into the middle — the couple were more corpulent than the single woman and she felt like they were taking up too much space - - - - now the part about the couple's forcing her to move to middle is a little vague; she could have insisted on keeping her end space

family refused to barge in — here is the classiest action in the whole story

joined family on the sidelines — the woman dejectedly surrendered her space in the middle of the pew

the couple gleefully let three people into the pew — by holding her hands out to the side, the woman was holding others at bay in a futile attempt to save seats for her family

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/30/12 - 11:57 am
Cobalt Back

RA, I was going to blow my horn when I passed but then my common sense kick in and it said DON'T.

I can see it now in tomorrows R&R.

A White, Ford 250, King Ranch drove through our quite neighborhood and blew his horn causing me to miss some important news while I was watching MSNBC and made my dog bark. Some individuals just don't have respect!!!!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/30/12 - 12:17 pm
Parable of the Wedding Feast

The rant about the Christmas service seat saving incident reminded me of this parable (Luke 14:7-11):

"And He began speaking a parable to the invited guests when He noticed how they had been picking out the places of honor at the table, saying to them, "When you are invited by someone to a wedding feast, do not take the place of honor, for someone more distinguished than you may have been invited by him, and he who invited you both will come and say to you, 'Give your place to this man,' and then in disgrace you proceed to occupy the last place. But when you are invited, go and recline at the last place, so that when the one who has invited you comes, he may say to you, 'Friend, move up higher'; then you will have honor in the sight of all who are at the table with you. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

I will try to apply this parable to my activities this Christmas season. I will not push and shove when shopping. I will sit near the back at Christmas services. I will open the door for others. I will park farther away so others may park closer to the church entrances and shopping center entrance doors. I with my many items will let shoppers with few items go ahead of me in line. I will not insist on "my way, or the highway."

Merry Christmas, to all.

allhans
allhans 11/30/12 - 12:17 pm
Somebody told the workers on

Somebody told the workers on strike that it is more profitable to let others pay their way. Join the crowd.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/30/12 - 12:19 pm
Here's A Good One

Remember a few days ago about Walmart employees beating a shoplifter to death who was stealing a DVD player.

Here is another Walmart incident, (miss what Walmart it was) where a man tried to abduct a 5 year old girl but was apprehended by the girl's father. The Walmart security took charge of the individual and politely escorted it to the exit and set him free.....

We have gotten to the Liberal Mindset level that a DVD player has more value than the life of a 5 year old. We are now living in the greatest country on earth.

allhans
allhans 11/30/12 - 12:26 pm
I got one of the surveys in

I got one of the surveys in the mail, filled it out, sent it back. Let the Dems know how poor I am.
I saw one article while doing some research saying that Republicans have tried to stop the mail-out for years, but can't get it done.
(It took about 10 mins)

KSL
KSL 11/30/12 - 12:36 pm
Little Lamb

Now that was a classic! I miss Royal.

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/30/12 - 12:45 pm
"ya old grump" Speaking of

"ya old grump"

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/30/12 - 01:54 pm
Or maybe it's because RA

Or maybe it's because RA keeps incorrectly referring to people who wish Romney had won as "sour grapes." Clearly he never read the story of the fox and the "sour grapes."

And I may not be your age, but I DO like the classics......Mr. Appleton.

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/30/12 - 01:42 pm
CobaltGeorge 11/30/12 - 10:57 am

CG writes: "A White, Ford 250, King Ranch"

Fords don't get reported! Dodges, Chevys, Toyotas, Nissans, they catch hell because they deserve it.

bubbasauce
20603
bubbasauce 11/30/12 - 01:46 pm
Amen to Little Lamb's 9:25

Amen to Little Lamb's 9:25 post! Just wish everyone else realized this about Obummer. And to his 10:34 post, too funny!

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/30/12 - 01:55 pm
dichotomy 11/30/12 - 11:45 am

dichotomy writes:"Speaking of old grumps...I'm kind of disappointed. My avatar has been on here all week and only OpenCurtain has mentioned it. I did it for RA since he kept saying "sour grapes". Maybe the character is too old for most to recognize. Anyone remember?"

That's "Sour Grapers" to you. A new classification of Tea Party folks.

And speaking of Avatars not being mentioned, I'll have you know that the 1952 Peterbuilt(Dressed out in our Dad's Company colors) I'm now using was from my older brothers truckers museum before he passed away. It was my favorite piece there allthough the 1901 White and the 1948 Ford Tanker truck were high on the list for second.

It was a wonderful little museum with over 10,000 pieces of memorabilia from signs to trucks, matchbooks, lighters pens mostly from trucking companies and suppliers from days gone by. Terry devoted much of his retirement time building and adding to it. It was always a delight to see on my annual visits to the family get together. Sadly, after his passing it has been sold off or given to relatives.

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/30/12 - 01:58 pm
"but I DO like the

"but I DO like the classics......Mr. Appleton."

The wife says it's apropos. Wonder what she means by that?

Jane18
Jane18 11/30/12 - 02:13 pm
R & R #3

I cannot imagine what a miserable year this person has lived. Let it go! What's done is done, move on. For your own peace of mind, forgive everyone that you feel hurt or angered you. You do not need to go to them, do it in your own mind. Ask GOD to forgive you for the ''hate" you were thinking and feeling, and then forgive yourself. Come on, be the good person you were supposed to be.............

Jake
Jake 11/30/12 - 02:29 pm
@dichotomy

Ref your 12:48....Maybe she is telling you that you are no Tom Terrific.

Jane18
Jane18 11/30/12 - 02:33 pm
seenitB4's Lexus Driving Vietnamese Nail Person

You can believe that $80.00 a day in tips is Not all this woman is making... You do know soooooo many immigrants and the children of them, have learned how to work our tax laws, don't you? Things you and I cannot use to help us and our families. I have a daughter-in-law by marriage that works in a clinic, and you would not believe the lying(about their finances) people that come in there, even for their children's preschool(and later) shots. As I have called them before, liars and a thieves!! It's no wonder people want to come to America, land of free this and free that!

happychimer
happychimer 11/30/12 - 02:43 pm
I am grateful for the nosey

I am grateful for the nosey census takers, because I have learned a lot about my ancestors. I even learned that one of my great grandfathers was deaf. There is a lot of valuable info in the census.

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/30/12 - 03:20 pm
Jake..."Maybe she is telling

Jake..."Maybe she is telling you that you are no Tom Terrific."

That's probably an understatement. I keep telling her I don't understand why she stays with me.....and telling her.....and telling her.

Just kidding....I'd miss the old girl if she left although she swears I wouldn't even realize it for 3 or 4 days.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/30/12 - 05:41 pm
JTF, PAC 12 Championship

JTF, how many times does this happen? Stanford and UCLA play tonight for the PAC 12 championship after playing last Saturday. Jim Mora, the former Falcons coach, heads the Bruins, so I guess I'll pull for them, like I know anything about those west coast teams.