Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

HATS OFF TO Ken Rayburn for his volunteer skilled work used in fully restoring Trinity Hospital’s life-size Nativity figures. His enhancement of the figures will bring joy to the many who visit the Nativity scene each year. Thank you, Mr. Rayburn.

THANKS TO ALL the volunteers who participated in the annual Feast before the Feast at Cherry Tree Crossing, Olmstead Homes and Oak Pointe Apartments. You should be proud of serving the needy of our community. Monique Braswell, the council president and a founder of the event, said that about 5,800 people were fed. Well done!

HERE’S TO THE wonderful couple at last year’s Christmas service who insisted on pushing their way into the pew, after I had gone in an hour early to get the front end seat where you can view the tree. Not only did they not listen to me when I said my family was meeting me there, they took up about three seats forcing me to move into the middle. My family refused to barge in, and I didn’t want them to stand alone, so I joined them on the sidelines over an air vent, while I watched the couple gleefully let three people into the pew. I know that this sounds petty, but I was really getting into the spirit of everything before this intrusion. My daughter thought that I had reacted badly even though nothing was said to her, and I was uninvited to Christmas dinner at her house I had a lonely bitter night I hope that the great couple had a very merry Christmas, and I hope that next year they can come in late and force their way into another family’s Christmas. Happy holidays to that thoughtful, helpful couple who, by the way, were dressed like lumberjacks! Joy to the world!

WITH A NEW sheriff in town, if the crime rate drops then I’ll say you made a good choice but right now I seriously doubt that will happen.

A NEWS ANCHOR the other day, ad libbing, said, “Don’t mess with Israel.” Amen. Pray for Israel.

IF ANYONE IN AUGUSTA is from Massachusetts, please tell us what the Romneycare plan has done in your state. This, as I understand, was the blueprint for what is called Obamacare. What have the death panels done in Massachusetts? How many businesses have folded because they had to provide insurance? How many deaths have resulted from this Romneycare? Thanks for your input.

museofsatie
museofsatie 11/30/12 - 06:33 pm
From rant number three:Yes,

From rant number three:

Yes, you do sound petty. It's been nearly a year, and you're STILL bent out of shape about it? I truly am sorry that your night was lonely, but there comes a time when you really need to act like an adult and move on from little things like this (and take less than a year to do so).

Fools_and_sages
Fools_and_sages 11/29/12 - 04:52 pm
RomneyCare in MA

RomneyCare has meant that 96% of the citizens of Massachusetts have health insurance. MA also went from 47th in nation in job creation to 4th, so businesses didn't shut down and more actually opened. Major industrial giants like Intel Corp did not move manufacturing operations out of MA because of RomneyCare. As far as death panels go, stop drinking the Republican Kool-Aid because RomneyCare does not involve death panels and neither does ObamaCare. Before the parts of ObamaCare that are already being enforced, your current private health insurance provider was more of a death panel because they could refuse to treat you if they thought tests, procedures, or meds were too expensive, if they decided you had a pre-existing condition, or if they deemed it was too early to do anything about a developing condition. ObamaCare disallows those things.

scmaize
scmaize 11/29/12 - 11:16 pm
rant number three

I can understand your feelings very well. The lumberjack couple was way out of line. The only thing I can say is that they did not understand what they were doing, and did not realize how they had inconvenienced and upset you. ("Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.") The person who intentionally treated you badly is your daughter. How could she uninvite her own mother, knowing you would be spending Christmas alone? I think you are focusing on the couple you don't even know, because you love your daughter, and don't want to blame her and think badly of her, or acknowledge how much she hurt you. I hope your daughter has had a change of heart, and you two have reconciled. Christmas is a busy and stressful time, and it doesn't bring out the best in many people. I hope you can forgive the thoughtless couple and your daughter, accept that we all have faults and make mistakes, and try to move on.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/29/12 - 08:41 pm
My Hat Is also Off To Ken Rayburn

I just hope and pray that you don't have any negatives the way things are going today in America.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/29/12 - 11:07 pm
#3

You have no sympathy from this corner. Saving seats so family/friends can stroll in whenever they get ready is a pet peeve of mine.

I encountered the same situation for a son's graduation once at the JB. Everywhere I found open seats, someone was yelling "those are saved". Baloney! We were there in plenty of time, but the majority of the open seats were being held for later comers. We finally sat down to the protestations of a woman, but I told her "first come, first served; your party should have been here on time", and we took our seats. She told me to have a "blessed day", and I thanked her.

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/29/12 - 11:07 pm
Good for the Prez

"With the staff, special forces, local police presence and equipment, the President's visit adds up annually to at least a $4 million vacation courtesy of the Hawaii and federal taxpayers." 20 days in Hawaii sounds nice. Hope he has a great time.

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/29/12 - 11:32 pm
Falcon game

River, hope you are watching this crazy game. Can they possibly blow it?

allhans
allhans 11/30/12 - 12:07 am
For the person asking about

For the person asking about Romneycare you can look it up. Romney care only covered the 8 percent of the population who had no health care plan. 92 % were covered by their own private insurance. Therefore, The Mass plan was no where near the massive scale, expense, nor was it as intrusive as the tremendously large national Obamacare.

allhans
allhans 11/30/12 - 12:11 am
justthefacts. That was one

justthefacts. That was one of those games when you were up, then whoosh....I loved the way it ended.
Who is next for the Falcons?

allhans
allhans 11/30/12 - 12:16 am
j

If we go over the fiscal cliff Obama won't be here?
I thought he would want to watch it happen.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/30/12 - 12:15 am
WITH A NEW sheriff in town,

I tend to agree with your sentiment except for the "doubt" part. I'm willing to wait and see if his ideas have merit. If the crime rates drop and he runs the rats out of town, then may he be sheriff until he is old and gray. If not, then those who voted for him made a huge mistake. We will know soon enough.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/30/12 - 12:19 am
allhans

@carolina
giants
@detroit
buccaneers

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 11/30/12 - 04:56 am
To ranter #3, I can't help

To ranter #3, I can't help but think your daughter had other reasons not to invite you. You need to "check yourself before you wreck yourself"! That means you need to look at how YOU treat other people and handle situations, if you have anger issues. Anyway....MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/30/12 - 07:02 am
7.95 a hour workers on strike

Factory workers have gone to fast food restaurants...can't pay bills...

At McDonald’s, Domino’s, Wendy’s and other fast food restaurants across the city, more workers went on strike Thursday, protesting what they say are wages that keep them in poverty. Strikers hope the walkouts will represent a turning point in the low-wage fast-food industry, where workers typically drift from job to job and the franchise-operated structure creates a hurdle for union organizing. The strikes come on the heels of nationwide strikes at Walmart, the world’s largest retailer, which is widely criticized for its low-paying jobs.

Organizers cite the changing demographics of fast-food industry as one reason strikes are necessary: "It’s not just your teenagers with after school jobs. It’s mothers, fathers and families,” said Jonathan Westin, organizing director at New York Communities for Change, who helped coordinate Thursday's protests. “Especially now after the recession, a lot of people who lost work are now taking these jobs. Our economy is becoming a service sector economy but most of these jobs are minimum wage. This is a huge problem.”

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/30/12 - 07:07 am
Lumberjacks...:)

If they were dressed like lumberjacks they probably could've tossed your fanny aside...I say smart to get up & give the seats to them.....I don't like folks saving seats for long times anyway.....& if your daughter uninvited you ...."sumthin" else must be going on there.....sooo tell us the rest of the story one day.....we are all ears..:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/30/12 - 07:13 am
Gripe gripe gripe

Why is it sooo hard to solve this country's problems ....
BRING THE DANG JOBS BACK!!

Now is that so hard to see....when whole towns are turned into ghost towns ..what do we expect.....try living on less than $8 dollars a hour.....could you...yes if you had to.....could you afford any extras...no no.....I was thinking we give more than that in tips at a nice restaurant....or the nail shop or beauty shop....

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/30/12 - 07:27 am
Nail shops btw

My nail lady drives a brand new Lexus.....she is from VietNam....she makes probably $80 dollars a day in tips......at least that much.....sooo if I need to work again I might try that job.......maybe..

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/30/12 - 07:31 am
Now would this work??

Treasury Secretary, Business News

Four words that would make Matt Taibbi throw up just a little? Treasury Secretary Jamie Dimon.

That's right, appointing the JPMorgan Chase CEO as Timothy Geithner's successor -- an idea backed by Warren Buffett -- is just about enough to make the Rolling Stone columnist freak

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/30/12 - 07:39 am
Required by law??

Yesterday the census from the Dept of Commerce arrived in my mail...it must be 20 pages...it says that I have to respond by law....soo does that mean the po po will come after me if I don't...many nosey questions....how many live here---how much money---education--health--dang ......do we apeak english---on & on....too dang nosey!

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/30/12 - 07:45 am
CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/30/12 - 07:46 am
Christians Are The Only Ones Being Attacked

School Orders Child to Remove God From Poem

A North Carolina community is embroiled in controversy after a school ordered a six-year-old girl to remove the word “God” from a poem that she was supposed to read during a Veteran’s Day ceremony.

I know all our Liberals will not go to this FOX link, but I will post it anyway.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/30/12 - 07:49 am
Shariah Law

Grandpa Jones put this on another article--real punishment-

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/30/12 - 07:53 am
Seenit

You can't out Hank me dontcha know. Snow was all right but there is only one Hank and he ain't a junior!

Note, this includes the lyrics so you can sing along. CG you just hum.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/30/12 - 07:51 am
RA

You may be closer than you realize with that cartoon. It won't be to protect it from being taken but from being destroyed by those that hate God.

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/30/12 - 07:59 am
Hunk?

Seenit, does GOB know about your secret passion? :) Here's another look.

There! Don'tcha feel like you won the lottery?

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/30/12 - 08:02 am
hahah can't can I....☺

I love me some Hank...one of my fav.....also this one ..

They say Audrey(his wife) was his inspiration for his songs......cold cold heart---your cheating heart---hahah....she made millions for him...lol

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/30/12 - 08:09 am
Secret...heh

If it is on here it can't be a secret...yep you have picked some gooduns....Soggy Bottom Boys music made that movie great.....loved it........they just don't make country like they used to......I miss it too........well dang...I miss a lot of things.....if I could turned back time like Cher says.....hahah

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/30/12 - 08:11 am
CGee & Retired Army--bestest friends...

aaaah....so sweet to see you two getting along with each other.....next thing you know yall will be hanging at the same club drinking a beer together...if Pres O & Romeny can --yall can to..:)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/30/12 - 08:15 am
CU All Later

Everybody seems to be boycotting me today, so I will just "Hang My Head and Cry"

By the way RA, I will be a few houses away from you in a hour, I will be quite when I past you.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/30/12 - 08:20 am
cgee

Have a great day.....I have stuff to do too.....& ac doesn't help any with reruns on here.....where is the good stuff......the emotional news....we can't do this job foryee....
Dang ...I bet we could come up with some headlines ..