Firefighters first responded to an alarm at 3648 Westwood Drive about 12:30 a.m. and found heavy smoke and fire coming from the back of the home, according to Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue Battalion Chief Brent Willis. Firefighters quickly got the fire under control.
A room added to the rear of the home, owned by Roy and Evelyn Walters, was destroyed. The rest of the house was damaged by fire, smoke and water, Willis said.
The fire started near a fireplace in the add-on, Willis said. Nobody was injured.
A second fire, which appeared to have begun in the front bedroom of a residence at 328 Old Evans Road, was reported by several passers-by about 10 a.m., according to Martinez-Columbia Fire Special Operations Chief Danny Kuhlmann.
He said neighbors said an elderly disabled woman and dog were in the house, but neither was found in a quick search of the property. The woman was later found.
Kuhlmann said flames were coming out the front windows when he arrived on scene. He said the fire was quickly brought under control but the home sustained significant smoke and heat damage.
“It’s always bad when something like this happens,” he said. “But it is good that nobody got hurt.”