Fires damage 2 homes in Columbia County

Jim Blaylock/staff
A firefighter battles a blaze in a home on Old Evans Road Monday morning. No one was home at the time the fire broke out in a front bedroom of the house.
Monday, Nov. 26, 2012 9:35 AM
Last updated Tuesday, Nov. 27, 2012 1:16 AM
  • Follow Latest News

Monday morning fires caused significant damage to two Columbia County homes.

Back | Next
The Walters family, who likes to decorate their Westwood Drive home in Martinez extensively for Christmas, had an overnight fire that destroyed the rear of the home and severely damaged the rest of the house.  JIM BLAYLOCK/STAFF
JIM BLAYLOCK/STAFF
The Walters family, who likes to decorate their Westwood Drive home in Martinez extensively for Christmas, had an overnight fire that destroyed the rear of the home and severely damaged the rest of the house.

Firefighters first responded to an alarm at 3648 Westwood Drive about 12:30 a.m. and found heavy smoke and fire coming from the back of the home, according to Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue Battalion Chief Brent Willis. Firefighters quickly got the fire under control.

A room added to the rear of the home, owned by Roy and Evelyn Walters, was destroyed. The rest of the house was damaged by fire, smoke and water, Willis said.

The fire started near a fireplace in the add-on, Willis said. Nobody was injured.

A second fire, which appeared to have begun in the front bedroom of a residence at 328 Old Evans Road, was reported by several passers-by about 10 a.m., according to Martinez-Columbia Fire Special Operations Chief Danny Kuhlmann.

He said neighbors said an elderly disabled woman and dog were in the house, but neither was found in a quick search of the property. The woman was later found.

Kuhlmann said flames were coming out the front windows when he arrived on scene. He said the fire was quickly brought under control but the home sustained significant smoke and heat damage.

“It’s always bad when something like this happens,” he said. “But it is good that nobody got hurt.”

Comments (0) Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
MarinerMan
2107
Points
MarinerMan 11/26/12 - 01:08 pm
0
0
Bad Timing...Sad
Unpublished

Glad that no one was injured, but bad timing. Thanks to the Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue -- thank you for your service. You hope that you never need your services, but I'm glad that you are there.

Back to Top

Top headlines

Vogtle workers see both reactor projects

Some veterans of the nuclear industry were at the site south of Augusta to see the complex network of rebar and concrete rising out of the ground in the 1970s and ’80s. Now, they are back.
Search Augusta jobs