Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

MR. PRESIDENT, in your deficit reduction speech the other day you said that everything is on the table and that you are not wedded to any item of your plan. However, you also stated that taxing the rich is a non-negotiable item, which I believe means it’s not on the table and that you are indeed wedded to it? Where I come from that’s double talk!

A RAVE TO MCG ER. I came in as the result of an injury and received compassionate, skilled and professional care from the doctors and the nurse on duty. Thank you.

A NUMBER OF STATES are talking secession from the Union. Why should we leave? It would be better to kick the Northeast and Left Coast out since they have no clue what America is about anyway. They would be happier being part of Europe. In fact, California’s finances resemble those of Greece.

WOULD YOU BELIEVE Azziz dared to post the following on his blog? I am not making this up: “Fifthly, we continue to carry the costs of those who accepted ‘early’ retirement in 2000, about $17M yearly. Unfortunately, for our bottom line (but fortunately for those retirees) many have had a longer life than expected (so much for the popular thought that retirement is bad for your health!).”

OBAMA WON. Demo­crats won. But did the country win in four more years? Remember who you voted for … when there is nothing left to give. Where will you get your “free” stuff?

THE DICTATOR has arrived.

HOW CAN ANYONE blame Obama for Sandy when more than 50 percent of the population is blaming Bush for our current economy? I think it is time that Obama was made to own up to his problems.

THANK YOU TO the gentleman who brought me a hot chocolate while I was ringing the bell for the Salvation Army at Kroger. What a kind heart! Thank you for donating and merry Christmas!

AUGUSTA NEEDS to get over the racial issues and grow up. Not everybody black voted for Mr. Roundtree, and not everybody white voted for Mr. Sanders. Mr. Roundtree is a very humble, compassionate, caring man. He will make an excellent sheriff. We need to support him and get over all our racial issues.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/26/12 - 02:33 pm
112 people killed in factory fire in Bangladesh

This factory makes clothes & other products for WalMart & other companies in the US & Europe....it was a known death trap.....they made polo shirts---fleece jackets--& T shirts..Banladesh has 4000 garment factories ...many without proper safety measures....the country earns about $20 billion a year from products sold in the US & Europe.....cheap at any cost takes on a new meaning doesn't it...

Too bad we couldn't keep some of the factories here in the good ole USA.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/26/12 - 02:46 pm
I think companies should

I think companies should boldly claim MADE IN THE USA on all of their products actually assembled, stitched, or otherwise manufactured here by the hands of American workers. I think many of us would buy if it was within a dollar or two of foreign made products and of equal quality.
I have zero loyalty though, to companies who outsource assembly to cheap foreign labor. In other words, I'm equally comfortable buying an Asian or German car assembled here as I am buying an American brand assembled elsewhere.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/26/12 - 02:55 pm
Better yet, someone should

Better yet, someone should devise a "Patriot Score". Have companies declare what percentage of the cost of their products goes back to American pocketbooks. 100% American owned and made would have a score of 100; Wholly foreign owned and manufactured with a 10% excise tax would be a 10. Prominently display that number on all products.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/26/12 - 03:09 pm
A fantastic idea....

The Gov. needs to hear that idea....great one....I bet it would spur sales if any company tried it......
gotta get busy again .....later

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/26/12 - 03:09 pm
Motorcycle death

I still, and always will advocate more comprehensive and frequent driving tests. With the technology available today, using simulators instead of plopping an officer in the car for a ridealong would be a piece of cake. Drivers could have encounters with parking,heavy traffic, motorcycles, bicycles, children darting into streets, etc. etc. to see how they react. If they run over the kid- no license. Practice on the practice simulator and come back another day. Take the test as many times as you like, with a charge for each time; and do it every five years ages 25-65, and every 3 other wise.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 11/26/12 - 04:27 pm
The former best moonshiners in the County

Were on the South Side.
Most have died some years ago.

But the art lives on via their grand kids.

1 in fact live up the dirt road from us in the 1970's

He was so good, that even the RC deputies would pull up during the holidays to make personal purchases. Each loading up their trunks. He made good clean shine, not that radiator trash some were making in those days.

Last I heard his great grandson was still making shine in smaller batches.

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/26/12 - 04:30 pm
RA said....."That was the

RA said....."That was the "Hayloft""

Ah the Hayloft. Remember it well. Got all 4 tires slashed there one night by some redneck that could not hold on to his girlfriend. Fat Daddy was singing those good old country songs and we just kept dancing. Well, it was either Fat Daddy or Jack Daniels that was making me want to dance.

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/26/12 - 06:58 pm
Fat Daddy, Oh, Jeez, last

Fat Daddy, Oh, Jeez, last time I saw him he was doin' pick up at the Rub-it-in Again Lounge.

I only went there for Lee's Philly Subs(:)). Man, that was a great sandwich.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/26/12 - 07:47 pm
RA

Spent many hours at the Rub-It-In Lounge.Those subs were great.

Suzie went through some real bad times.

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/26/12 - 07:47 pm
RA said......."Lee's Philly

RA said......."Lee's Philly Subs(:)). Man, that was a great sandwich"

Man you got that right. Greased on those many a night during my running days. Have you tried Philly Cheesesteak Factory on Peach Orchard? They've got a good one too.

I was in the Rub It Inn the first night it opened circa '75 and I was in there the night it reopened as the Rub It Inn Again...can't remember when that was. I was in there the night some woman came in and shot one of the guys who was on stage playing in the band. Rumor was it was a wife and wayward husband. Didn't kill him so I guess it was just a love tap.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/26/12 - 07:49 pm
dich

There is one heck of a story behind that one.

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/27/12 - 12:09 am
dichotomy11/26/12 - 06:47 pm

dichotomy writes: "I was in there the night some woman came in and shot one of the guys who was on stage playing in the band. Rumor was it was a wife and wayward husband. Didn't kill him so I guess it was just a love tap."

The way I heard it was that she was so drunk it was a richocet that got the drummer right in the keister. But it was a love thang.

Ol' redheaded Lee started making those Subs down the street at what was later a Pawn Shop. I was working up at Moran Hall as an instructor in those days and we'd send someone out the gate two or three times a week on a sub run.