Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

MR. PRESIDENT, in your deficit reduction speech the other day you said that everything is on the table and that you are not wedded to any item of your plan. However, you also stated that taxing the rich is a non-negotiable item, which I believe means it’s not on the table and that you are indeed wedded to it? Where I come from that’s double talk!

A RAVE TO MCG ER. I came in as the result of an injury and received compassionate, skilled and professional care from the doctors and the nurse on duty. Thank you.

A NUMBER OF STATES are talking secession from the Union. Why should we leave? It would be better to kick the Northeast and Left Coast out since they have no clue what America is about anyway. They would be happier being part of Europe. In fact, California’s finances resemble those of Greece.

WOULD YOU BELIEVE Azziz dared to post the following on his blog? I am not making this up: “Fifthly, we continue to carry the costs of those who accepted ‘early’ retirement in 2000, about $17M yearly. Unfortunately, for our bottom line (but fortunately for those retirees) many have had a longer life than expected (so much for the popular thought that retirement is bad for your health!).”

OBAMA WON. Demo­crats won. But did the country win in four more years? Remember who you voted for … when there is nothing left to give. Where will you get your “free” stuff?

THE DICTATOR has arrived.

HOW CAN ANYONE blame Obama for Sandy when more than 50 percent of the population is blaming Bush for our current economy? I think it is time that Obama was made to own up to his problems.

THANK YOU TO the gentleman who brought me a hot chocolate while I was ringing the bell for the Salvation Army at Kroger. What a kind heart! Thank you for donating and merry Christmas!

AUGUSTA NEEDS to get over the racial issues and grow up. Not everybody black voted for Mr. Roundtree, and not everybody white voted for Mr. Sanders. Mr. Roundtree is a very humble, compassionate, caring man. He will make an excellent sheriff. We need to support him and get over all our racial issues.

Jake
Jake 11/26/12 - 12:11 am
Hot chocolate

Hot chocolate is nice when it is chilly and buying one for a Salvation Army worker is a great gesture during the holiday season.

Except for #2, the rest of the R&R's are the usual button pushers, i.e. Obama, race, Dr Azziz, etc.
Where us seenitB4 to give us a decent song?

Riverman, I knew you would have a good moonshine story and the other day you did not disappoint.

Go Dawgs!

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/26/12 - 01:21 am
Blue Skies!

Day 20 and the sun arises, the sky is blue with a wisp of clouds. So much for the dire predictions of the Sour Grapers.

And with the Leap Year taken into account, only 1,498 days until Hillary takes office.

studmuffin1533
studmuffin1533 11/26/12 - 06:54 am
Nutcracker at the Imperial

Great performance Sunday afternoon completely ruined by the crying baby. Jeepers, parents, at least take your little noise machine outside. We paid good money for this wonderful tradition and should not have it ruined by your lack of manners.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/26/12 - 07:48 am
Put everything on the table.....work together...

"So I agree with Grover, we shouldn't raise rates. But, I think Grover is wrong when it comes to [saying] we can't cap deductions and buy down debt," Graham continued. "I want to buy down debt and cut rates to create jobs, but I will violate the pledge, long story short, for the good of the country, only if Democrats will do entitlement reform."

On NBC's "Meet The Press" on Sunday, Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.) said "everything should be on the table" in negotiations to avert the "fiscal cliff," the moment at the end of the year when tax hikes and spending cuts are scheduled to take effect at once. King said he agreed with Sen. Saxby Chambliss (R-Ga.), who said last week that the pledge is outdated and unhelpful for reducing the national debt.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/26/12 - 07:50 am
yep the push buttons quotes are there Jake..:)

NOW that was a mouthfull......yeh too bad the retirees are still living...

Azziz must think he won't ever get old..lol

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/26/12 - 08:32 am
Moonshine hauler...my uncle :)

Years ago my uncle Walter (granmams brother) (her fav brother btw)
was hauling shine down hy 25 near Lumpkin Rd......the POlice were on his tail hot & heavy......he pulled in to her garage right there on Peach Orchard Rd ....he thought he could slam the doors & get away scott free......& it almost worked for him....BUT what he didn't know is that 2 ole nosey neighbors saw him pull in & thought he was stealing from granmam.....these 2 older ladies held the shotgun on him til she came home..hahahah....he begged them to put the guns down & repeated her name over & over.........probably the only thing hat saved his butt is saying her name...LOL

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/26/12 - 08:44 am
RM said this on another thread...

A Duty to Society to Stop Crime

As law abiding members of society, we all have a responsibility to stop crime. At times this duty may require us to put ourselves in danger. It's unfortunate the man died as it is with every stupid criminal who decides to run and is seriously injured. However, the moral duty to stop theft goes beyond what the Walmart spokesman may understand. It's a serious obligation to uphold a safe and law abiding society.

Some are making light of this comment.......amazing to me......because he is 100% RIGHT ON.......if we don't have a safe and law abiding society we are doomed......if you can't understand THAT I'm worried even more now...

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/26/12 - 09:13 am
Cuts

The only thing people are talking about regarding the fiscal cliff are the tax rate increases. I'd like to see one politician make one specific proposal for a spending cut.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/26/12 - 09:15 am
Thanks, Jake and Seenit. You

Thanks, Jake and Seenit. You guys always bring out the best in all the commenters.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 11/26/12 - 09:18 am
I don't know about the Government

But, I can live with Less Government, before I could live with more taxes.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/26/12 - 09:43 am
My goal in life..yeh

To bring out the best..LOL

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 11/26/12 - 09:46 am
In all fairness

MINUS D.O.D. Military, that pay for their own retirement.

Percentage wise, Federal Retirees like Elected & Appointed & GSA Officials account for more budget $$$ than the "Give Me More Crowd".

I still say
Let them eat from the same Trough as the rest of us.
Lay them off just before they reach retirement.
Stop healthcare once they are fired or laid off.
Cut their hours back to avoid Healthcare.
Replaced them with cheaper younger less exp. Staff.
Cut their salaries.
Have them pay the same taxes we do without their special exemptions.
Have them operate under a budget process to tight to accomplish anything.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/26/12 - 09:48 am
The best side of RA

I hope yall notice the best side of RA now......by Christmas I might have him loving ole Conway songs & talking like a real Rep....well maybe on the Rep part......hahaha.......I'm amazed that yall don't see his fun side....:)
Everyday I say I'm just staying here for 1 hour & then leaving but I just get pulled in by the out of this world comments on here.....anyway I'm leaving now...have a good day!

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/26/12 - 10:08 am
Thanks seenit, and now for

Thanks seenit, and now for something of substance. Did I say in a post a couple of days ago that unbridled greed was the root cause of the present American political shift? Yup! I sure did. How about we add arrogance to that list? Can you believe these guys?:

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/26/12 - 10:37 am
@RA

I would be perfectly happy with closing corporate tax loopholes if :

It did not result in outsourcing of jobs to foreign countries.

I'm all for tax policy that puts more skin in the game for everyone, and corporate taxes do just that. They pass the additional cost through in the form of higher prices, so anyone that buys their product is picking up that tax tab; even the dope dealer and illegal immigrant. I like it.

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/26/12 - 10:36 am
Little Lamb...."I'd like to

Little Lamb...."I'd like to see one politician make one specific proposal for a spending cut."

Ain't gonna happen Little Lamb. Many leading Republicans saying they will go along with revenue increases but not ONE Democrat offering up a single spending cut. Obama has called on the unions to send out literature packets to it's members whip up fervor for tax increases. Obama has no intention of cutting spending......except maybe to gut the DOD.....but he won't actually even cut that money. He will just spend it on another social welfare program. We will now see who the obstructionists are. Republicans, in fear of losing their jobs in 2014, will roll over like dead cockroaches and say they did it "for the good of the country". Personally, I'd rather go with sequestration and actually get real spending cuts. We will get higher taxes, a debt of over $20 trillion, and ZERO spending cuts, which is what the "gimmee free stuff" party voted for and wanted all along. If there is even a mention of spending cuts in the deal, they will be "projected" cuts 10 or 20 years down the road and totally meaningless. Sequestration is a better deal than we will get from the "you need to compromise but we don't" Democrats.

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/26/12 - 10:43 am
Retired Army......"Day 20 and

Retired Army......"Day 20 and the sun arises"

Yep, and that is a good thing for the 1,000,000 people who have had to find their way to the unemployment office to file for First Time Unemployment in the last 20 days.

allhans
allhans 11/26/12 - 10:53 am
The press is doing their

The press is doing their share...blame it all on Republicans in Congress...nary a word about the Dems saying "Taxing the rich" will be done and is not in dispute...so here were go, the Republicans give, the Dems put on their snooty airs, giving not a bit....only taking.

The aloof, cold, above all, president Obama ...stands above the fray...

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/26/12 - 11:03 am
@Studmuffin

You are preaching to the choir here. We went to the Atlanta Symphony last night to see **Jackie Evancho, and there was a lady with a ~4yo girl behind us to the left. The girl squirmed, smacked gum, and talked the entire performance. Mama did get it down to a whisper, but shpss, shpss, shpss in my left (good) ear was still very distracting and annoying.
People; PLEASE leave your little darlings at home if they are not old enough to sit quietly in venues where sitting quietly is expected!!!! If you can afford the ticket, you can afford a babysitter.

**Jackie Evancho- If you are not familiar with this 12yo girl you are missing a treat. She has an amazing range, especially for her age; and will only get better.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/26/12 - 11:55 am
Another good moonshiner's

Another good moonshiner's story, Seenit. People think we are joking about how it was, but we're not.

ata2de
ata2de 11/26/12 - 12:22 pm
Biker dies in accident.....

A man dies in a car accident on saturday and minutes later it is all over the news. A biker was killed when a truck pulled out in front of him and almost a week later there is still nothing posted. Why? Just because we choose to ride bikes should not make our life any less....important. Dave "Sheff" Sheffield was a loving father, a veteran, a dear friend and would have been a grandfather in the next few weeks. Does he not deserve the same respect as someone that dies in a car? Do bikers in general not deserve the same respect? It disgusts me to think that the media can spend weeks talking about someone trying to get their job back and not make any mention of a life lost due to someone NOT PAYING ATTENTION! People are in such a hurry these days, driving, talking or texting on their cell phones that they do not take the time to pay that little extra attention to us bikers.
I have seen bumper stickers being passed around that say
"KILL A BIKER, GO TO JAIL". I totally agree. Motorcycle Awareness is a must!
Dave...we love you and you will NEVER be forgotten......

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/26/12 - 12:23 pm
Got a couple "moonshine"

Got a couple "moonshine" stories myself. The 1st involves 17-19 year old Army Trainees from around the nation in 1965 being posted to Ft Gordon and the old "Haystack"(?) dance hall out on Gordon Hwy near the racetrack.

Pooling their cash together(and with fake ID's) they purchased a bottle of vodka which disapeared rather quickly amongst the group. the junior member of the group was sent outside to the liquor store to purchase more. He filled the empty vodka bottle with the cheaper grain alcohol from the top shelf. Most of that group don't remember much else about that evening.

Jane18
Jane18 11/26/12 - 01:08 pm
Moonshine

I wish I had commented the other day.......I had an Uncle, and other family members that lived on Sand Mountain in Ala. They had a still that was much nicer and bigger than any I have seen on television, it was an A-1 operation. Another Uncle, one of my Mothers' brothers, would haul it off the mountain, to his "distibutors". Gosh, that was so much fun riding with him!!

Jane18
Jane18 11/26/12 - 01:12 pm
R & R #3

If only we could kick them out, or better yet, they leave. (sigh)

Jane18
Jane18 11/26/12 - 01:12 pm
R & R #3

If only we could kick them out, or better yet, they leave. (sigh)

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/26/12 - 01:16 pm
RA

That was the "Hayloft" (noted your ?). It was pretty much a knife and gun club back in the day, or so they say. Not being one to look for trouble, I never went in there.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 11/26/12 - 02:00 pm
ata2d

Sorry about your friend!

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/26/12 - 02:26 pm
The Hayloft...hahah

I was racking my brain for the "right" name....RA was close...:)